3699 14 2019-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325725 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good Morning....I logged in this morning hoping to get some opinions on the Kittyhawk Ap which popped up and was recommended on the DJI Go4 Ap as a quick and easy way to get automated approval to fly in previously prohibited areas.  I was really excited by the possibilities since I live within a 5 mile radius of an airport and cannot even start my engines to do some test work at 50 feet off my back deck.  So I downloaded the Ap but have not been able to find instructions on how to use it or been able to figure it out on my own.  Is this a ploy to require additional paid services or is a legitimate way to get permission to fly reasonably and intelligently even in a geo-frenced area?  Maybe it's just me that can't figure this out, but I'd like to know what everybody else thinks.
2019-8-23
Use props
BoDaddy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17562 ft
United States

I’m in the same boat right now. I’m barely inside of a E2 zone. The airport is not connected up with LAANC. I am communicating with the FAA right now by email. Will see how it works out.
2019-8-23
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

KittyHawk is most definitely a legitimate app; in fact, the FAA selected that company to update its B4UFLY app.

Have you tried searching for a tutorial like this one?

2019-8-23
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Gimpy, thank you for the video.
2019-8-23
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Gimpy, thank you for providing that video, it explains some of what I was wondering about.  I have the program installed but have not registered it yet.  
2019-8-23
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Gimpy Posted at 8-23 08:16
KittyHawk is most definitely a legitimate app; in fact, the FAA selected that company to update its B4UFLY app.

Have you tried searching for a tutorial like this one?

So you get FAA approval through LAANC via the Kittyhawk app.
Do you still need to get an unlock from DJI to unlock the geofence on your bird?
2019-8-23
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

1Eagle Posted at 8-23 15:03
Do you still need to get an unlock from DJI to unlock the geofence on your bird?

Yes, they're separate, but once you get an authorization through LAANC, you can do a custom unlock as described here.
2019-8-23
Use props
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325725 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gimpy Posted at 8-23 16:12
Yes, they're separate, but once you get an authorization through LAANC, you can do a custom unlock as described here.

Gimpy.....very helpful....thanks
2019-8-24
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Gimpy Posted at 8-23 16:12
Yes, they're separate, but once you get an authorization through LAANC, you can do a custom unlock as described here.

Awesome, thanks for the info Gimpy
2019-8-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Gimpy Posted at 8-23 08:16

Have you tried searching for a tutorial like this one?

Looks like a great bit of software,  shame it doesn't work outside of the USA,  it appears to work but doesnt show any info etc giving the false sense its safe to fly.  The Drone Assist App in the UK actually greys out the areas it does not cover.
2019-8-27
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft

Gimpy, they should pay you for all the help you have given us, and it is greatly appreciated.  I am using Kittyhawk, did two authorizations in it, and they both came through.  Afterward I got the Dji authorization via Aircraft Remote Controller, and went flying.  I like the maps in Kittyhawk, and the representations in the "Air Traffic" map of other drones flying around.  The most I have seen on a map of the U.S. is a little over 20 drones, one went up to 394 feet.  Still playing with the program and trying to learn.  Again, Thanks Gimpy.
2019-9-14
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

HH1 Posted at 9-14 17:26
Gimpy, they should pay you for all the help you have given us, and it is greatly appreciated.  I am using Kittyhawk, did two authorizations in it, and they both came through.  Afterward I got the Dji authorization via Aircraft Remote Controller, and went flying.  I like the maps in Kittyhawk, and the representations in the "Air Traffic" map of other drones flying around.  The most I have seen on a map of the U.S. is a little over 20 drones, one went up to 394 feet.  Still playing with the program and trying to learn.  Again, Thanks Gimpy.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.
2019-9-15
Use props
NickEST1987
lvl.4
Flight distance : 587362 ft

I use airmap to get approval at my apartment.  I click the icon to request approval and it just launches into the go4 app.  Havn't tried taking off yet as I'm not sure if I got approval or not.  I'm within 5 miles of our local airport that supports LANNCE
2019-9-15
Use props
Ds67888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10657192 ft
  • >>>
United States

1Eagle Posted at 2019-8-23 15:03
Do you still need to get an unlock from DJI to unlock the geofence on your bird?

yes; ;you still need DJI unlocking codes; i did this in january next to LUKE afb; restricted area; it all worked fine.  www.JPL66.com
2021-2-4
Use props
Ds67888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10657192 ft
  • >>>
United States

dumb question... KITTYhawk gets laanc taken care of but then pilot uses DJI go 4 to fly with; right?
2021-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules