Rendering 4k on Davinci Resolve Glitching
12Next >
10212 43 2019-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Hi, I'm still new to both the Osmo Pocket and Da Vinci resolve. I tried to render a 4k clip shot on my Osmo Pocket on Davinci and after the render, the clip is glitching. (looks like slow motion in certain parts) Has this ever happened to anyone? Would really appreciate your suggestions. Thank you in advance.  
2019-8-24
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi,  is it glitching whilst watching playback during editing or is it glitching after you have produced a file in ‘deliver’ ?
2019-8-24
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

MKosmo Posted at 8-24 02:55
Hi,  is it glitching whilst watching playback during editing or is it glitching after you have produced a file in ‘deliver’ ?

After I have delivered :/
2019-8-25
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-25 01:37
After I have delivered :/

Ah ok.  So my suggestion would have been to use the optimised media function but that shouldn’t effect the delivered file.  

Don’t really know then, perhaps just the usual generic editing fix’s - like trying with anti virus temp off, or try a transcoded file that it easier to work with.

2019-8-25
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi, could I ask what you rendered it as? Youtube Vimeo custom?
2019-8-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can always try Adobe Premiere Pro it works really well.
2019-8-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

The Osmo Pocket files are quite large by comparison to most other similar recording devices as in how much information is encoded into each frame.
Da Vinci Resolve uses your video graphics card more than some other editing programs for rendering that would use a CPU more and may be stressing the GPU out to the point of almost failing to cope.
If glitching is happening, it is either your playback video player is not coping (more possible) or you may have to think of upgrading your graphics card. (less likely but not improbable).
If you can play the Osmo Pockets 4K files before editing then I would say it is the way Da Vinci Resolve is using your computer and probably needs a more powerful graphics card to cope with rendering the new files.  
2019-8-25
Use props
fans83f80a1e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71739 ft
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-25 14:33
The Osmo Pocket files are quite large by comparison to most other similar recording devices as in how much information is encoded into each frame.
Da Vinci Resolve uses your video graphics card more than some other editing programs for rendering that would use a CPU more and may be stressing the GPU out to the point of almost failing to cope.
If glitching is happening, it is either your playback video player is not coping (more possible) or you may have to think of upgrading your graphics card. (less likely but not improbable).

When you render with DaVinci Resolve, pay careful attention to the "Quality" setting.  Setting it to something like 95,000 will create files about the same size as the original, but will require more computer horsepower and/or disk speed to play smoothly.  Try rendering with the setting at 8,000 to start.  The file sizes will be smaller.  Video quality will be less as a result.  However, depending on the subject, you won't see too much of a difference.  Videos with grass in them tend to like higher numbers.

The best answer is to experiment.

With my Samsung 4k TV, I've found it chokes with DaVinci Resolve rendered 4k videos (on a fast USB drive) when the Quality is set above 50,000.  I suspect the issue is the speed of the TV's USB port (probably USB 2, not USB 3).

Good luck!
2019-8-25
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 8-25 07:36
Hi, could I ask what you rendered it as? Youtube Vimeo custom?

I rendered it in custom. Kept the same frame rate and the same ratio.
2019-8-26
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

fans83f80a1e Posted at 8-25 15:51
When you render with DaVinci Resolve, pay careful attention to the "Quality" setting.  Setting it to something like 95,000 will create files about the same size as the original, but will require more computer horsepower and/or disk speed to play smoothly.  Try rendering with the setting at 8,000 to start.  The file sizes will be smaller.  Video quality will be less as a result.  However, depending on the subject, you won't see too much of a difference.  Videos with grass in them tend to like higher numbers.

The best answer is to experiment.

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. I'm editing on PC and the slowness is happening when I open it in the PC's files. The first time I tried I set the rendering quality on high, as I thought that was best. Then I tried to lower it which resulted in a nearly "posterized" video. I kept on increasing till (in right-click properties on the video) I got the same "size on disk". When I finally matched it the slowness stopped, the problem now is I can't keep doing this for every video I edit, it took me ages to finally get them close enough for the video to play smoothly. I had to render the same clip for more than 8 times.

The best setting that removed the slowness was restricting the quality to 105500 which I think is quite high.

Is there a way I can do this without rendering the video a million times, please? hehe
2019-8-26
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-25 08:05

Problem is, it's quite expensive, I'm still a student.
2019-8-26
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

MKosmo Posted at 8-25 03:10
Ah ok.  So my suggestion would have been to use the optimised media function but that shouldn’t effect the delivered file.  

Don’t really know then, perhaps just the usual generic editing fix’s - like trying with anti virus temp off, or try a transcoded file that it easier to work with.

What are the usual generic editing fix’s, please? Didn't quite understand your answer.
2019-8-26
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-25 14:33

It played properly before. Clicking on the properties of the glitchy render I noticed that the
"size on disk" was very small. I had sent the quality in custom on best, so I don't know why it was so low. I fiddled with the quality, rendered the clip a million times until it finally didn't glitch. I set the quality restricted to 105500. I got this number by slowly increasing it until I got the same "size on disk" as the original file.

The problem is I can't render each video a million times hehe. What can I do to determine this? I think it must have been the quality.
2019-8-26
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-26 02:46
Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. I'm editing on PC and the slowness is happening when I open it in the PC's files. The first time I tried I set the rendering quality on high, as I thought that was best. Then I tried to lower it which resulted in a nearly "posterized" video. I kept on increasing till (in right-click properties on the video) I got the same "size on disk". When I finally matched it the slowness stopped, the problem now is I can't keep doing this for every video I edit, it took me ages to finally get them close enough for the video to play smoothly. I had to render the same clip for more than 8 times.

The best setting that removed the slowness was restricting the quality to 105500 which I think is quite high.

hi

Choose "best" in rendering quality not more.

Davinci R needs a lot of hardware.

OR go from choose self and set it to 40000 and step it up to find a suitable way.

Good luck

2019-8-26
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi again, I was going to say similar to the other posts, choose either YouTube or Vimeo and change the bit rate to 50000 n see what you think
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-26 02:48
Problem is, it's quite expensive, I'm still a student.

There is a student rate for the entire Adobe Creative Cloud that don't quote me, but I think costs $23 per month? If you wanted just Adobe Premiere Pro the cost would be approx. $10?...
2019-8-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-26 02:54
It played properly before. Clicking on the properties of the glitchy render I noticed that the
"size on disk" was very small. I had sent the quality in custom on best, so I don't know why it was so low. I fiddled with the quality, rendered the clip a million times until it finally didn't glitch. I set the quality restricted to 105500. I got this number by slowly increasing it until I got the same "size on disk" as the original file.

Perhaps the best thing to do is upload a file you have rendered to dropbox so we can analyse it, see what the bit rate is, etc. Also to play it to see if it's glitchy on our systems or not.
Not sure what you mean by rendering it X amount of times although I don't personally use Resolve.
If you mean you are doing a number of passes before rendering that may be counterproductive on a number of fronts the least of which is the increased time it takes to render.
2019-8-26
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Flybee Posted at 8-26 05:44
hi

Choose "best" in rendering quality not more.

Hi, Thank You. I'll have a look at this video. When I set it on best it glitched and when I increased the quality to restricted to 105500 it didn't.
2019-8-27
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-26 08:22
There is a student rate for the entire Adobe Creative Cloud that don't quote me, but I think costs $23 per month? If you wanted just Adobe Premiere Pro the cost would be approx. $10?...

Thank you The prices are a bit more expensive in Malta.
2019-8-27
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 8-26 08:20
Hi again, I was going to say similar to the other posts, choose either YouTube or Vimeo and change the bit rate to 50000 n see what you think

When I tried Youtube the quality didn't look very goon. In fact, the size on disk was a lot smaller than the one of the original file.
2019-8-27
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-26 13:14
Perhaps the best thing to do is upload a file you have rendered to dropbox so we can analyse it, see what the bit rate is, etc. Also to play it to see if it's glitchy on our systems or not.
Not sure what you mean by rendering it X amount of times although I don't personally use Resolve.
If you mean you are doing a number of passes before rendering that may be counterproductive on a number of fronts the least of which is the increased time it takes to render.

I rendered it multiple times to figure out what quality to set it on. I'll try another video today and see what happens. Thank You
2019-8-27
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-25 08:05

Yup, I concur.  I still use Vegas for some things, though Adobe Premiere previews HEVC/H.265 footage much smoother, thus making it much easier to edit in.
2019-8-27
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-27 00:43
I rendered it multiple times to figure out what quality to set it on. I'll try another video today and see what happens. Thank You

Unfortunately, when you load any video to YouTube it can be rerendered again unless you conform to the YouTube rendering conditions.
Have you read the YouTube information regarding uploading to YouTube and the fact it may take up to four hours before you can see the final high definition render?
https://support.google.com/youtu ... p;ref_topic=2888603
2019-8-27
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i use filmora 9..works a treat with my Osmo action 4k footage  my computer is getting on a bit too.
2019-8-27
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-27 00:35
Thank you  The prices are a bit more expensive in Malta.

I see well hope it all works out for you.
2019-8-27
Use props
djiuser_9PyQIWUqN3R2
lvl.3
United States

What are your system specs?
2019-8-27
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Neo Supreme Posted at 8-27 05:38
Yup, I concur.  I still use Vegas for some things, though Adobe Premiere previews HEVC/H.265 footage much smoother, thus making it much easier to edit in.

Vegas is a good program, it's now a MAGIX program that was sold off by Sony?
2019-8-27
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-27 18:04

Correct.
As time progresses the Magix and Vegas programs have begun to share more common aspects of their programming. Unfortunately, as the programs are updated year on year, the specifications of the computer specs have had to be upgraded to keep up with processing requirements. This could be said of all video editing software though. Both programs have in the last two weeks been given a new rendering engine that enables rendering to be done faster than playback speeds of the clips used but now need some of the latest Intel CPU chips and higher-end NVidia graphics cards to achieve this. People like myself with older machines have actually experienced longer render times although the rendering itself and playback of higher quality clips have been improved.
I have found in the past that whenever I've added new gear whether photographic or video I've inevitably had to upgrade either software or hardware or both to enable the new devices to work as intended.
Vegas and Magix Movie Edit Pro (all editions) also will not work well with AMD chipsets or Radeon graphics cards if at all.
The good thing is if you visit the Magix / Vegas site often you will find that every couple of months there are huge reductions on the price they charge for their programs during their promotions.
So while both programs are quite nice and relatively easy to use and can be relatively cheap to buy they are very fussy about what machines they work on and exporting times can vary wildly depending on the spec of the machine being used.  
2019-8-28
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-28 00:48
Correct.
As time progresses the Magix and Vegas programs have begun to share more common aspects of their programming. Unfortunately, as the programs are updated year on year, the specifications of the computer specs have had to be upgraded to keep up with processing requirements. This could be said of all video editing software though. Both programs have in the last two weeks been given a new rendering engine that enables rendering to be done faster than playback speeds of the clips used but now need some of the latest Intel CPU chips and higher-end NVidia graphics cards to achieve this. People like myself with older machines have actually experienced longer render times although the rendering itself and playback of higher quality clips have been improved.
I have found in the past that whenever I've added new gear whether photographic or video I've inevitably had to upgrade either software or hardware or both to enable the new devices to work as intended.

I have Magix Movie Editor 2016 and it's a pretty good piece of software considering the price I paid of $45 from Amazon.

The only downside I find with the software is it requires a super fast processor because my 4 computers, ranging from my ASUS VC66 that has an i7-7700 that can clock 3.6ghz up to 4.2ghz in turbo mode, my Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 510 that has an i7-7500u that can clock 2.7ghz up to 3.5ghz in turbo mode, my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet LTE 2nd Gen that has an i7-7Y75 that can clock 1.3ghz up to 3.6ghz, in turbo mode, and my Samsung TabPro S (world's first Super Amoled Windows PC) has an m3-6y30 that can clock 0.9ghz up to 2.2ghz.

You would think my ASUS VC66 that is the only Mini Computer with an i7-7700 or any i7 in the past few years that comes configured with a DVD Internal Drive that I upgraded to an LG Blu-ray 4K read/write internal drive, given the standard sized bay door, but this computer barely could render 4K using this program.

My preference for doing cropping and cutting and custom watermarks is my license for DivX Converter, which costs only $20 dollars U.S. and I've taken all my drone video from the Spark and rerendered it into 4K, it works exceptionally well with 1080p to 4K renders, I even upgraded my Hollywood Blu-ray condition from 1080p to 4K, it doesn't take my VC66 more than 30-45 minutes to do a 35GB Blu-ray render into 4K, but it only has up to 4K/30fps (not good for Inspire or Phantoms) but my friends don't know anybody who has the Star Wars saga upconverted in 4K??
2019-8-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-29 12:40
I have Magix Movie Editor 2016 and it's a pretty good piece of software considering the price I paid of $45 from Amazon.

The only downside I find with the software is it requires a super fast processor because my 4 computers, ranging from my ASUS VC66 that has an i7-7700 that can clock 3.6ghz up to 4.2ghz in turbo mode, my Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 510 that has an i7-7500u that can clock 2.7ghz up to 3.5ghz in turbo mode, my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet LTE 2nd Gen that has an i7-7Y75 that can clock 1.3ghz up to 3.6ghz, in turbo mode, and my Samsung TabPro S (world's first Super Amoled Windows PC) has an m3-6y30 that can clock 0.9ghz up to 2.2ghz.

An i7-7700 processor with an Intel® HD Graphics 630 chip should be capable of handling MEP. It would probably need at least 16gig of ram and an NVidia 1050 graphics card or higher to run smoothly with 4K though. MEP is often found on special offer at around the $60 mark even though it retails above $250 normally. Personally, I wouldn't have bought it or Vegas at normal prices.
It is a fussy program but a lot can be done with it.
HitFilm Express is a nice free program for those on a budget and can add extras at low cost to build up a custom editing suite of their choosing over time but is more geared to special effects.
I'm not sure but maybe the 2016 version of MEP is not tuned the way MEP is now and still needs a graphics card with lots of CUDA cores to work well and may not use the Intel Graphics chip.
2019-8-29
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-27 06:06
Unfortunately, when you load any video to YouTube it can be rerendered again unless you conform to the YouTube rendering conditions.
Have you read the YouTube information regarding uploading to YouTube and the fact it may take up to four hours before you can see the final high definition render?
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/58134?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=2888603

Wow! 4 hours I'll have a look at this. Thank You
2019-8-30
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-27 11:06
I see well hope it all works out for you.

Thank You
2019-8-30
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-27 18:04

Have never heard of this programme, will look it up.
2019-8-30
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-29 12:40

The only downside I find with the software is it requires a super fast processor because my 4 computers, ranging from my ASUS VC66 that has an i7-7700 that can clock 3.6ghz up to 4.2ghz in turbo mode, my Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 510 that has an i7-7500u that can clock 2.7ghz up to 3.5ghz in turbo mode, my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet LTE 2nd Gen that has an i7-7Y75 that can clock 1.3ghz up to 3.6ghz, in turbo mode, and my Samsung TabPro S (world's first Super Amoled Windows PC) has an m3-6y30 that can clock 0.9ghz up to 2.2ghz.

Is this editor a one time buy, please?
2019-8-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-30 00:44
Wow! 4 hours  I'll have a look at this. Thank You

Usually when I upload to youtube the background re-rendering shows up in the quality picker,   the lower qualities appear first and then over time the 2k and 4k appear.
2019-8-30
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

DAFlys Posted at 8-30 01:21
Usually when I upload to youtube the background re-rendering shows up in the quality picker,   the lower qualities appear first and then over time the 2k and 4k appear.

I'll try uploading some 4k when I have time. Thank You
2019-8-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-30 00:54
Is this editor a one time buy, please?

Unfortunately, Magix is now up to the 2020 edition and be careful your machine matches or exceeds the specifications to work or it will work but render slowly. Glacial is a word that springs to mind.
For the best bang for your buck get the Premium version which when on offer (as it is now for a short period) it is quite cheap compared to the full price. You don't have to upgrade at the end of the year and can keep the version you buy. Normally most people go for the digital download. You can download a preview copy to try out. You will get free upgrades and fixes for one year from the date of purchase. The program normally comes bundled with other software for audio editing and special effects.
Not really for the beginner but easy enough to get into. Customer care though is next to nonexistent although the user forum is usually helpful with problems. Take care if you buy the program that you save all the passwords somewhere safe because if you lose them and need to reinstall the program you will need them to reactivate not only the program but the add on effects. Currently, MEP is on offer at around eighty euros. Click Magix Edit Pro Premium to get to main page.
2019-8-30
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>

My pleasure...
2019-9-9
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-30 00:51
Have never heard of this programme, will look it up.

It use to be Sony under their creative development that they shifted their focus no longer producing or market software that fell under that division, so they sold most of the division assets to MAGIX, who is a German-based company that has been in the space of music and movie editing for quite some time.
2019-9-9
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-30 00:54
Is this editor a one time buy, please?

I believe they should offer most of their software digitally?
2019-9-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules