Weak gps in “follow me”
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LarsC
lvl.1

Denmark

Hi guys
I have a phantom 3,  rc  connected to my IPhone X with USB cable .
Everything works great, camera also , all intelligent modus, beside follow me.
Follow me show most of the time a red weak gps, just sometimes few seconds it’s green and strong.
Someone who know what’s wrong or what I can do to help ?
I have always at least 12 and normally between 17-20 satellites on my drone.
2019-8-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day LarsC. I am sorry for the trouble.  Have you tried using a different mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? Upon checking the iPhone X on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced. I am sorry to say that this mobile device is still not yet recommended for your DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced as of the moment. There is a  possibility that the iPhone X  will be able to work with the said drone. However, since it is not yet optimized with the DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced and with the DJI Go application we cannot guaranteed the stability of these mobile devices when in use. We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any inconvenience and any problem. Thank you.

2019-8-24
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

I had this problem using my Ipad mini 4. Solved the problem by purchasing a GARMIN GLO. Do a google search!!
2019-8-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Weak GPS is DJI's way of saying no GPS.
If you have GPS enabled in the phone and you are outdoors with a clear skyview, you are just one of many reporting this problem recently with Apple equipment.
2019-8-24
Use props
LarsC
lvl.1

Denmark

DINGO DOWN UNDA Posted at 8-24 12:42
I had this problem using my Ipad mini 4. Solved the problem by purchasing a GARMIN GLO. Do a google search!!

It’s quite funny about iPad mini 4, when the DJI supporter show the list of compatible.
Maybe DJI should make some research also and make sure it’s updated for all new equipments.
2019-8-24
Use props
LarsC
lvl.1

Denmark

Labroides Posted at 8-24 14:17
Weak GPS is DJI's way of saying no GPS.
If you have GPS enabled in the phone and you are outdoors with a clear skyview, you are just one of many reporting this problem recently with Apple equipment.

I’m not sure what you mean about your notice, because a lot having these problem and not only iOS products if you Google and research.
My IPhoneX gps works really good for navigation and so.
But I think the supporter have a bit right, that they did not follow up and updated their apps.
So they should really look into them selv, because this is not a cheap crap.
2019-8-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

LarsC Posted at 8-24 23:03
I’m not sure what you mean about your notice, because a lot having these problem and not only iOS products if you Google and research.
My IPhoneX gps works really good for navigation and so.
But I think the supporter have a bit right, that they did not follow up and updated their apps.

What I mean is ..for the last 9 months or so,  lots of Apple users have reported a problem where despite having good GPS from their phone or tablet, Follow-Me still complains of "Weak GPS".
No solution has been found.
The issue seems not to affect Android devices.
For users of later drones, it doesn't matter much because Active Track is a better solution and it uses optical technology rather than GPS.
Your P3 won't do Active Track.

As for DJI's list of approved devices, it's a joke.
DJI rarely test anything new and there are many very good devices for flying that DJI never test.
2019-8-25
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

On my P3A Iand P4A I’ve noticed this message At Times.   When it occurs, I have good GPS.   If that flight mode won’t work, then the bird should be unstable in regular flight.   
2019-8-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Rvrrat14 Posted at 8-25 11:12
On my P3A Iand P4A I’ve noticed this message At Times.   When it occurs, I have good GPS.   If that flight mode won’t work, then the bird should be unstable in regular flight.

You are missing the point. The 'weak GPS' that the message is referring to is in the phone, not the aircraft. In order for Follow Me to work, the aircraft needs to know where you are, and it uses the GPS receiver in the phone to obtain your location. If the phone is not getting a good positional fix, or does not have GPS capability, then the aircraft cannot follow you.
2019-8-25
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 8-25 14:33
You are missing the point. The 'weak GPS' that the message is referring to is in the phone, not the aircraft. In order for Follow Me to work, the aircraft needs to know where you are, and it uses the GPS receiver in the phone to obtain your location. If the phone is not getting a good positional fix, or does not have GPS capability, then the aircraft cannot follow you.

Gotcha!  Thanks for clearing that up.
2019-8-25
Use props
LarsC
lvl.1

Denmark

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-24 10:18
Hello and good day LarsC. I am sorry for the trouble.  Have you tried using a different mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? Upon checking the iPhone X on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced. I am sorry to say that this mobile device is still not yet recommended for your DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced as of the moment. There is a  possibility that the iPhone X  will be able to work with the said drone. However, since it is not yet optimized with the DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced and with the DJI Go application we cannot guaranteed the stability of these mobile devices when in use. We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any inconvenience and any problem. Thank you.

[view_image]

Hi Stephen
First I will say that I tried an old android tablet I have and it works. But
When i read about compatibility of the DJI go in AppStore, it say that it works with my iPhoneX and all other iPhones.
Your list is another and the 2 list should be the same.
So, now there are 2 possibilities
DJI update their app so it works with what is written in App Store and so people don’t need to have old equipment connected to it.
Or delete the description in App Store about compatibles and only have what works there.
Because this is irritating problem and not normal to only use old stuff, with something who is not sooo old.
First time I ever had this problem with anything.
2019-8-25
Use props
LarsC
lvl.1

Denmark

Labroides Posted at 8-25 02:39
What I mean is ..for the last 9 months or so,  lots of Apple users have reported a problem where despite having good GPS from their phone or tablet, Follow-Me still complains of "Weak GPS".
No solution has been found.
The issue seems not to affect Android devices.

Okay, and you’re right, I found out now.
Had an old android tablet and a IPhone 5s.
Both works.
So it’s a DJI problem that they describe in App Store that all works.
To bad I used so much time when it’s the company who have the problem.
People buy things with confidence to a big company as DJI.
2019-8-25
Use props
LarsC
lvl.1

Denmark

Geebax Posted at 8-25 14:33

Just for info.
It’s not a bad gps in the phones who make the problem, but the app
DJI did not optimised their app for the never phones.
I have a thought that it could be because never phones also use Glonas as navigation.
So now the customers again needed to find out about the problem, instead of the company
2019-8-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

LarsC Posted at 8-25 23:09
Okay, and you’re right, I found out now.
Had an old android tablet and a IPhone 5s.
Both works.

So it’s a DJI problem that they describe in App Store that all works.
To bad I used so much time when it’s the company who have the problem.
People buy things with confidence to a big company as DJI.

No .. it's not a DJI problem at all.
The feature used to work just fine with Apple and Android phones and tablets but several months ago, Apple users started reporting the problem you described.
Android users are not having the issue.

DJI did not optimised their app for the never phones.
DJI don't optimise their app for any phones or tablets.
It's the same app

I have a thought that it could be because newer phones also use Glonas as navigation.
No .. it worked just fine for a couple of years with phones and tablets that receive Glonass sats.  
It still works with Android devices that receive Glonass sats.

It's not really a big problem.
Hardly anyone uses the Follow-me gimmick mode.
2019-8-26
Use props
LarsC
lvl.1

Denmark

Okay Tony
I understand that you are a very big fan of android systems and that’s okay for me,.
There is space for us all.
About what I wrote and what you disagree about, I just need to say, try and read all here and you will see that DJI supporter Stephen agree with me and he is the one who make me try another solution.
And as I told earlier, there is nothing wrong with my phone or apple product or the drone, but with the app.
Everybody know that apps need to be optimised for new equipments.
And I can tell you that the app already this year have been updated several times
But now it’s okay, I found out and let’s see what next update do.
I finish this now and hope all’s with the problem understand
2019-8-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

LarsC Posted at 8-26 04:32
Okay Tony
I understand that you are a very big fan of android systems and that’s okay for me,.

Okay Tony
Who's Tony?
I haven't said anything to indicate what I think of Android and it doesn't matter anyway.
The problem you are experiencing is restricted to Apple users in the last six months or so.
There are plenty of reports in drone forums of this.

About what I wrote and what you disagree about, I just need to say, try  and read all here and you will see that DJI supporter Stephen agree with  me and he is the one who make me try another solution.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
I did read everything here, including all the nonsense you've added
DJI Stephen gave you the standard DJI generic non-answer and I can't see anywhere that he agreed with anything you've said.

I gave you actual facts.
But if you don't care to listen when someone who actually knows is tring to help you .. that's your problem.
2019-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

LarsC Posted at 8-25 23:00
Hi Stephen
First I will say that I tried an old android tablet I have and it works. But
When i read about compatibility of the DJI go in AppStore, it say that it works with my iPhoneX and all other iPhones.

Thank you for the additional information you have shared with us LarsC and I am sorry for the trouble. I will forward the information to the designated DJI department for further attention with regards to these matter. Again I am sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your support.
2019-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules