Best Wireless Hardrive to connect to IPAD to transfer OP Files?
12Next >
4375 45 2019-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Hi, can anyone suggest a good hard drive for me to use on the go to transfer 4k files from the Osmo Pocket to it, through an Ipad, please?
Thanks in Advance

(I think it has to be wireless)
2019-8-25
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not easy cause it's Apple...a workaround is to upload your files to online storage like Mega & the like & download to your ipad for editing...bit of a pain but it works for me.
2019-8-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AmyMarieBorg. Thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members who has the DJI Osmo Pocket and on what is the best wireless hardrive they are using. Thank you.
2019-8-25
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

CubbyJonson Posted at 8-25 05:23
Not easy cause it's Apple...a workaround is to upload your files to online storage like Mega & the like & download to your ipad for editing...bit of a pain but it works for me.

Apple is supposed to release an update later in September, the update should allow iPad users to connect hard drives to it. The problem is I'm travelling before that and I really need the storage.

Are these online storages expensive please? and do they reduce the file sizes.

Does saving through Mimo app reduce file size too, please?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still very new to all this.
2019-8-26
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-25 08:01
Hello and good day AmyMarieBorg. Thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members who has the DJI Osmo Pocket and on what is the best wireless hardrive they are using. Thank you.

Thank You
2019-8-26
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-25 08:01
Hello and good day AmyMarieBorg. Thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members who has the DJI Osmo Pocket and on what is the best wireless hardrive they are using. Thank you.

Sorry, I hit down vote by mistake. I'm still new here. Thank you for replying.
2019-8-26
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mega.nz gives you 50gb free storage..should be plenty for most videos
2019-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome AmyMarieBorg. Please stay safe always and keep on filming.
2019-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-26 03:00
Sorry, I hit down vote by mistake. I'm still new here. Thank you for replying.

No problem AmyMarieBorg. If you have any inquires or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you always.
2019-8-26
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Many have used this with an iPad as an external storage.
https://www.amazon.com/Passport- ... amp;sr=8-9&th=1
2019-8-26
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-26 11:04
No problem AmyMarieBorg. If you have any inquires or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you always.

Thank You. I'm a media student and I'm trying to get used to all the post-processing etc...
2019-8-27
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-26 11:02
You are very much welcome AmyMarieBorg. Please stay safe always and keep on filming.

Will do
2019-8-27
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

CubbyJonson Posted at 8-26 06:03
Mega.nz gives you 50gb free storage..should be plenty for most videos

Since the files are 4k videos, I would need a lot more. I'll be travelling for 12 days.
2019-8-27
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Wiz33 Posted at 8-26 11:50
Many have used this with an iPad as an external storage.
https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B06X6H1LY6/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=wifi%2BHDD&qid=1566848918&s=gateway&sr=8-9&th=1

Does this work with an app, please? If yes which one.

Thank you for replying
2019-8-27
Use props
Andrew_CA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1157464 ft
  • >>>
Japan

I was in the similar situation myself a few months back.  And i picked up an WD My Passport Wireless SSD version.
https://www.amazon.com/Passport- ... Drive/dp/B07C8LGFD9

It will require you to install a WD app and connect to the Wireless SSD.

What i did was, insert the microSD card into Wireless SSD and back up all content onto WD's SSD.
You can access these file via  WD App on your iPad. You can choose to download picture/video into the Photo app for further editing.
2019-8-27
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I also use the WD My Passport Wireless, mine is the 2TB non-SSD version, you can insert the MicroSD card from the Osmo Pocket, you need a MicroSD to SD adapter.  The WD copies all the files onto the hard drive, then you can connect the Passport via wifi and access the videos.  If you use Lumafusion, you can edit directly from the Passport and it works very well.  See the following video for more details:

2019-8-27
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

Get Lumafusion for your ipad. Use the WD hard drive suggested in this thread, or one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and add your own hard drive. Lumafusion will import directly to the app (the clips won't need to go in the ipad's photo app).
2019-8-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-27 00:38
Thank You.  I'm a media student and I'm trying to get used to all the post-processing etc...

You are very much welcome AmyMarieBorg. We are all glad to help and support and assist you anytime.
2019-8-27
Use props
Rob Chisholm
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi Amy, Rob Chisholm here in the Uk - Here are factors you need to consider. If using say the iPad editing in ? were say lumafusion. Then options are WD portable SSD drives or Gnarbox. Gnarbox allows for in and out of video. This then clips video and Lumafusion brings this in. WD cannot do this. WD does for SD cards, not sure for osmo an auto read transfer contents. If you say plug cable from Oslo to WD drive portable it may not work. Then you have to take out the card and place in a adapter. At home I plug Osmo into a Hard drive and load contents here and use wifi to bring in video. The two drives I mentioned do this. Hope that is not too much information  Rob
2019-8-28
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Rob Chisholm Posted at 8-28 07:48
Hi Amy, Rob Chisholm here in the Uk - Here are factors you need to consider. If using say the iPad editing in ? were say lumafusion. Then options are WD portable SSD drives or Gnarbox. Gnarbox allows for in and out of video. This then clips video and Lumafusion brings this in. WD cannot do this. WD does for SD cards, not sure for osmo an auto read transfer contents. If you say plug cable from Oslo to WD drive portable it may not work. Then you have to take out the card and place in a adapter. At home I plug Osmo into a Hard drive and load contents here and use wifi to bring in video. The two drives I mentioned do this. Hope that is not too much information  Rob

When used with LumaFusion, the WD drive does allow for setting in and out edit points before importing clips.  It then only imports the part of the clip that's being used in the edit.

2019-8-29
Use props
Rob Chisholm
lvl.1
United Kingdom

BigStuart Posted at 8-29 05:23
When used with LumaFusion, the WD drive does allow for setting in and out edit points before importing clips.  It then only imports the part of the clip that's being used in the edit.

Hi Stuart,

What is it your asking please ?

I see no question from you did I miss something ?
2019-8-29
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Gnarbox comes at quite a hefty price tag for small 256GB storage, is there any similar device that allows you to add your own (cheaper!) storage. RavPower make something called a FileHub but no idea if it works with LumaFusion or not.
2019-8-29
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Rob Chisholm Posted at 8-28 07:48

Thank You Rob, do you mean that Gnarbox doesn't need a device to transfer files from Sd Card to it, please?
2019-8-30
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

In the absence of a reply from Rob, take a look at the gnarbox site. It’s got a card reader built in and talks about the ability to share images. I couldn’t quickly see any mention of either automatic copy or a manual button.  There seem to be a few similar boxes out there, usually ‘no name’ ones from Amazon and offering a push button transfer function but they all look a bit ‘press and forget’ with no real way of being sure your precious photos and video have actually transferred or not.  No idea if any of them are supported as an external source by any editing software.
2019-8-31
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

tripleburst Posted at 8-27 09:33
Get Lumafusion for your ipad. Use the WD hard drive suggested in this thread, or one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5QDQ1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and add your own hard drive. Lumafusion will import directly to the app (the clips won't need to go in the ipad's photo app).

I have one of these too

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And I plug in any portable I like. You can use the app that comes with it. It works very well for a solution under $100 if you buy a 1-2 TB drive to go with it.

There is also a DJI solution that is used in conjunction with DJI product. It’s pricey so I recommend the earlier solution..

I got stuck on a vacation shoot this week. Not enough hard drives. You will need a fair amount of space for 4K footage.

Good luck and we hope to hear from you when you get back
2019-9-1
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 8-31 00:42
In the absence of a reply from Rob, take a look at the gnarbox site. It’s got a card reader built in and talks about the ability to share images. I couldn’t quickly see any mention of either automatic copy or a manual button.  There seem to be a few similar boxes out there, usually ‘no name’ ones from Amazon and offering a push button transfer function but they all look a bit ‘press and forget’ with no real way of being sure your precious photos and video have actually transferred or not.  No idea if any of them are supported as an external source by any editing software.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I would really trust something like that in all honesty. I wouldn't trust not knowing if they have securely transferred or not. Thank You
2019-9-2
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Rob Chisholm Posted at 8-29 07:26
Hi Stuart,

What is it your asking please ?

I wasn't asking you a question, I was pointing out an inaccuracy in your post.
2019-9-2
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3

Just done a quick (well, not so) test of copying a full 64 GB Sandisk Extreme (V30 rated) card and the RavPower WD009 mentioned above and it took around 50 minutes to copy the full 64GB from the internal SD card reader (using adapter) to a USB connected 500GB SSD.  Progress could be monitored on the device and also on the iPad and the iPad could see the copied media. I didn’t try playing it on the iPad admittedly but all the thumbnails appeared as expected.  Now I just need to buy LumaFusion to see how it copes with editing from the USB device on the RavPower.

2019-9-3
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Flight distance : 826854 ft

I use an older version of this unit with a portable HD. https://www.amazon.ca/RAVPower-F ... ExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2019-9-3
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3

breezeway95 Posted at 9-3 08:41
I use an older version of this unit with a portable HD. https://www.amazon.ca/RAVPower-FileHub-Portable-Wireless-Transfer/dp/B07P7YMYQV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3MNDA4LUY135C&keywords=ravpower+filehub&qid=1567528776&s=gateway&sprefix=ravpower%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNUM1Wlg4TTJITzhIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzg0ODk0MjVJTkk5M0lJRjU5ViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjA4OTU1MTcxNDI4TzZDWVNYMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This need to connect to a laptop doesn't it?
2019-9-4
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3

No, works wirelessly with an iDevice.
Doesn’t even need that if you feel you can trust it to copy files without you checking.
2019-9-4
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

I use a WD My Passport SSD 512Gb, no problems whatsoever and it is extremely small and light. I have the previous iPad Pro so I need to use it with the RavPower FileHub (newer version). Check also Samsung T5, great drive.

WD.jpg
2019-9-4
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3

El Diabolico Posted at 9-4 23:36
I use a WD My Passport SSD 512Gb, no problems whatsoever and it is extremely small and light. I have the previous iPad Pro so I need to use it with the RavPower FileHub (newer version). Check also Samsung T5, great drive.

Does this connect over wifi, please?
2019-9-6
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 9-6 02:42
Does this connect over wifi, please?

Yes, the FileHub connects through Wi-Fi to your phone and through cable to the hard disk. It also has an SD card reader for direct backup/
2019-9-9
Use props
Rob Chisholm
lvl.1

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-30 00:48
Thank You Rob, do you mean that Gnarbox doesn't need a device to transfer files from Sd Card to it, please?

Hello Amy,

Too much information is not good for you.
Gnare box unlike WD at the moment of writing does not have to my knowledge auto drag files off the SD cards.

This is probably updated by now for the Gnarbox.

If I were you I buy the WD wireless unit avoid the SSD the way to pricey.
2019-9-15
Use props
Rob Chisholm
lvl.1

BigStuart Posted at 9-2 06:46
I wasn't asking you a question, I was pointing out an inaccuracy in your post.

And what was the " inaccuracy in your post"
2019-9-15
Use props
Rob Chisholm
lvl.1

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 9-3 06:11
Just done a quick (well, not so) test of copying a full 64 GB Sandisk Extreme (V30 rated) card and the RavPower WD009 mentioned above and it took around 50 minutes to copy the full 64GB from the internal SD card reader (using adapter) to a USB connected 500GB SSD.  Progress could be monitored on the device and also on the iPad and the iPad could see the copied media. I didn’t try playing it on the iPad admittedly but all the thumbnails appeared as expected.  Now I just need to buy LumaFusion to see how it copes with editing from the USB device on the RavPower.

dji user, can you provide me with a screen shot I am interested in the set up.
Other question did you copy many files ? or a couple that added to 64 gigs ?

If I have it right you wifi from the RavPower WD009 to iPad ? which model please.
With Lumafusion your be able to set up SMB and see I say the rav unit.
This works with gnar box and wd my cloud no issues.
Transfer speed is about 12 megs using a home router 5ghz.
The rav unit your using I be interested to know the speed over wi fi to iPad Pro please

Regards Rob
2019-9-15
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3

Rob Chisholm Posted at 9-15 05:23

Hi Rob,
Sorry, can’t do a screenshot right now as I’m on holiday and the RAV isn’t!
The test was copying a full card, in an adapter and that plugged into the SD reader in the Rav.  Connected to the USB port of the Rav was a 500GB SSD in a caddy thingy.  Pressing the copy button on the Rav initiated the copy which took 50 minutes.
The iPad is kinda incidental but it was an original 9.7in Pro (first model, so a few years old now) the progress monitoring was simply using the RavPower IPad app and watching the storage of the 500GB connected SDD decrease.  You could use the same app to view the files on the iPad.
At least that what I think I did, it was a while ago and alcohol has been consumed since then!
2019-9-15
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3

Rob Chisholm Posted at 9-15 05:23

Hi Rob,
Sorry, can’t do a screenshot right now as I’m on holiday and the RAV isn’t!
The test was copying a full card, in an adapter and that plugged into the SD reader in the Rav.  Connected to the USB port of the Rav was a 500GB SSD in a caddy thingy.  Pressing the copy button on the Rav initiated the copy which took 50 minutes.
The iPad is kinda incidental but it was an original 9.7in Pro (first model, so a few years old now) the progress monitoring was simply using the RavPower IPad app and watching the storage of the 500GB connected SDD decrease.  You could use the same app to view the files on the iPad.
At least that what I think I did, it was a while ago and alcohol has been consumed since then!
2019-9-15
Use props
Rob Chisholm
lvl.1

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 9-15 07:33
Hi Rob,
Sorry, can’t do a screenshot right now as I’m on holiday and the RAV isn’t!
The test was copying a full card, in an adapter and that plugged into the SD reader in the Rav.  Connected to the USB port of the Rav was a 500GB SSD in a caddy thingy.  Pressing the copy button on the Rav initiated the copy which took 50 minutes.

Hello djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7,

Enjoy your holiday.
So the rav unit you have supports push button copy from to HD.
Rather useful
When your back from hols let me know please.
For now are you using Mac or Windows ?
Before I asked Rav about using the unit for OS but rav said then it support windows drives only.
And none of the Mac drives I have would be supported.
Can you maybe advise here ?

Regards Rob
2019-9-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules