OSMO M3 + Rode VideoMic ME lightning?
13449 18 2019-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
georgemessiah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 255171 ft
Sweden

I wonder if any Osmo Mobile 3 owner have tried if the gimball have balancing issues with microphone attached to iPhone X with Rode VideoMic Me lighting?

Thx in hands!
2019-8-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day georgemessiah. Thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI Mamber who owns the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 and who uses the said microphone on the said gimbal. Just a friendly reminder that the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 supports smartphones that are 62 - 88mm wide and up to 9.5mm thick. This range covers most mobile phones currently available. Please note that actual compatibility might be affected by accessories attached to your phone. In addition large and heavy accessories are not recommended. Please ensure the total weight of the accessory and the phone is less than the recommended weight. Thank you.
2019-8-25
Use props
georgemessiah
lvl.1
Sweden

What is the maximum weight the gimbal can handle?
2019-8-26
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

And similar question - did anyone try this gimbal with Sure MV88 mic and iphone 8 Plus?
2019-8-29
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>

georgemessiah Posted at 8-26 22:26
What is the maximum weight the gimbal can handle?

The maximum weight the OM3 can handle is 200 +/- 30g
2019-9-6
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
  • >>>

I dont think there will be any balancing issue using the Rode VideoMic ME-L. Im more concerned
about if there is space enough between the gimbal and the mic.
Im considering this microphone because the build in mic in my iPhone XS is realy bad and recording
in mono
2019-9-6
Use props
georgemessiah
lvl.1

One more time...

Has anyone tried?
2019-9-20
Use props
Twin Setup
New

I'll be testing this setup tomorrow and will post a short update.
2019-10-1
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
  • >>>

Twin Setup Posted at 10-1 00:28
I'll be testing this setup tomorrow and will post a short update.

Cant wait
2019-10-1
Use props
Christopher Wood
New

Just used both the gimbal and Mic Me-L it does not fit.

The gimbal doesn’t balance with the mic and iPhone 11 pro. There’s not enough space. You could use counter balance weights, but what a pain in the A. I’m returning my gimbal, and just going to shoot on a regular stick. The gimbal doesn’t offer much difference and the whole face tracking situation isn’t good. It keeps your face in the frame but never in a good composition.

Such a shame DJI didn’t factor in needing a rode mic.
2019-10-1
Use props
djiuser_D3TLKs6oqaug
New

Hi. Is there a list of compatible external mics we can use without getting balance issues?
2019-10-2
Use props
Cem_SG
lvl.2

For days  I've been playing now with my Zoom H1, iPhone X and OM3. I have purchased a L-"bracket" with 2 cold shoe mounts and it's not nice, however I try to route the cables they cause forces which either moves the gimbal arm towards me or away. Will try to post picture later with the least troublesone setup. I asked one of my  colleagues to borrow his one and this morning I was reading on the bus a review on OM3 on Dpreview and the friend brings a Snoppa Atom. First I was disappointed as the design is pretty much the same in terms of arm, locking etc. BUT there is mic port to the left of the grip and another where the clamp for the phone is. There are many reports that the solution degrades the sound quality (theory of cables passing by 3 motors...) but after fiddling a bit around I have to say the sound via the Zoom H1 is very good.. and no balancing issues, super clean just need two TRRS cables.

oh my DJI why haven't thy made this genius stroke with the mic ports ...
2019-10-9
Use props
Cem_SG
lvl.2

Cem_SG Posted at 10-9 22:11
For days  I've been playing now with my Zoom H1, iPhone X and OM3. I have purchased a L-"bracket" with 2 cold shoe mounts and it's not nice, however I try to route the cables they cause forces which either moves the gimbal arm towards me or away. Will try to post picture later with the least troublesone setup. I asked one of my  colleagues to borrow his one and this morning I was reading on the bus a review on OM3 on Dpreview and the friend brings a Snoppa Atom. First I was disappointed as the design is pretty much the same in terms of arm, locking etc. BUT there is mic port to the left of the grip and another where the clamp for the phone is. There are many reports that the solution degrades the sound quality (theory of cables passing by 3 motors...) but after fiddling a bit around I have to say the sound via the Zoom H1 is very good.. and no balancing issues, super clean just need two TRRS cables.

oh my DJI why haven't thy made this genius stroke with the mic ports ...

As I stated above the main issue is dealing with cables especially if also want to charge the phone while using OM3. It would have been good to have kind of clips along the arm where you could snap the cables in but even then you will face issues unless used mostly with a "fixed" view.

oops looks like the cable is too tight
https://imgur.com/udcAt2A

Main issue with this setup is you can't go much low, since with OM3 you have hold the gimbal more to the side the cables will start blocking the arm to move
https://imgur.com/EVxblfW

Some tweeks required so the oh so wonderful 3.5mm adapter doesn't permanently rub on the roatating arm of the Gimbal

Once you decide to use a power cable to juice up your phone things getting worse; so a lightning T-adapter is need to split mic and power. As good as the springy cable for power looks it's too stiff for the gimbal.
https://imgur.com/3esWHiS
https://imgur.com/aZ4tzjV

The original apple lightning cable works better but as one can see way too long, a shorter braided one I have is again too stiff.
https://imgur.com/bRhUXW1

Quick look at the snoppa atom
https://imgur.com/LPtbOCH

On the left side is a mic port, so moved the bracket to left and it works fine, not perfect again with the cable but it's not causing problems
https://imgur.com/dfcgUlN
https://imgur.com/02rHgXa

And on top just behind the camera another audio port, again trying to take low ground shots can cause troubles as the cable will start getting in conflict with the rotating joint but not as bad as with OM3.
https://imgur.com/kb0fbuA

I forgot to take a shot with the T-adapter and phone power cable but you will have the same challenges as with om3.

2019-10-10
Use props
Cem_SG
lvl.2

As I stated above the main issue is dealing with cables especially if also want to charge the phone while using OM3. It would have been good to have kind of clips along the arm where you could snap the cables in but even then you will face issues unless used mostly with a "fixed" view.

IMG_20191010_211651-1200x1600.jpg

Main issue with this setup is you can't go much low, since with OM3 you have hold the gimbal more to the side the cables will start blocking the arm to move
IMG_20191010_213928-1600x1200.jpg

Some tweeks required so the oh so wonderful 3.5mm adapter doesn't permanently rub on the roatating arm of the Gimbal
IMG_20191010_214720-1200x1600.jpg

Once you decide to use a power cable to juice up your phone things getting worse; so a lightning T-adapter is need to split mic and power. As good as the springy cable for power looks it's too stiff for the gimbal.
IMG_20191010_215022-1600x1200.jpg IMG_20191010_215029-1600x1200.jpg

The original apple lightning cable works better but as one can see way too long, a shorter braided one I have is again too stiff.
IMG_20191010_215945-1200x1600.jpg

Quick look at the snoppa atom
IMG_20191010_220435-1200x1600.jpg

On the left side is a mic port, so moved the bracket to left and it works fine, not perfect again with the cable but it's not causing problems
IMG_20191010_220811-1200x1600.jpg
IMG_20191010_220748-1200x1600.jpg

And on top just behind the camera another audio port, again trying to take low ground shots can cause troubles as the cable will start getting in conflict with the rotating joint but not as bad as with OM3.
IMG_20191010_220759-1200x1600.jpg

I forgot to take a shot with the T-adapter and phone power cable but you will have the same challenges as with om3.

2019-10-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

Dual system sound seems to me to be so much more straightforward than this kind of solution.  If you press the record button on the H1 at the same time as the record button on the OM3, you won't have to spend much time dragging the audio into alignment with the video as they will be pretty close in the first place.  Of course if there's speech involved you'll need to be more precise to get lip sync, but in most other cases, you won't notice a lack of exact sync.  (I use a Zoom F1 clipped to my belt with Roland in-ear mics - I can turn the recorder on and off just by feel - so the whole audio system is worn rather than carried).
2019-10-11
Use props
Ильяс Яс
New

Russia

georgemessiah Posted at 2019-9-20 22:55
One more time...

Has anyone tried?

I use wireless go rode its work
2020-2-20
Use props
fans09626c12
New

United States

nixuspix Posted at 2019-8-29 01:08
And similar question - did anyone try this gimbal with Sure MV88 mic and iphone 8 Plus?

I have an iphone 11 and my shure sm55 keeps crashing the osmo software.
2020-5-18
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ильяс Яс Posted at 2-20 12:32
I use wireless go rode its work

The wireless GO seems like a good way to go.
2020-5-20
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cem_SG Posted at 2019-10-10 22:01

[Image]

Thanks for sharing your setup.
2020-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules