Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How much will a like-new Mavic Pro be worth in 5 years???
123Next >
7846 86 2019-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alright folks, nostalgic members of the collecting community have already started to gaze their sights on the original Mavic Pro as a collectible purchase equating that it will be worth something given it's the first symbolic drone to transform the industry. I have a DJI Care Refresh+ Mavic Pro coming Wednesday from DJI Service Center and with my recent acquisition of the Mavic 2 Zoom along with 2 DJI Care Refresh replacements available, I just don't see myself needing to fly the original Mavic Pro? Someone I know offered me $900 for my new Mavic Pro (as long as it's not activated) along with my two new sealed in the box Mavic Pro batteries, including my Incase Mavic Pro carry case along with 2 used Mavic Pro batteries and Fly More Combo accessories?? I don't think I'm going to take this $900 offer?? My question is, do you think it makes sense to leave the Mavic Pro in the box unused until the time comes at that point when someone were to may be offer me more than $900?? Or, does an unactivated Mavic Pro not matter and I should at least open the box and power it on to make sure everything is fully operational?? I just know from collecting baseball cards that if you leave them in the pack unopened they generally are worth more, but comparing a Mavic Pro to a pack of baseball cards that cost $.25 but end up being worth $1,000s is a far stretch??...

Thanks!!

Single SelectVote, Total 62 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

85.48% (53)
9.68% (6)
3.23% (2)
1.61% (1)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-8-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day David Martin Graff. Thank you for creating this thread and I hope that you will get the best information with regards to how much will a like-new DJI Mavic Pro be worth 5 years from now. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-25 14:12
Hello and good day David Martin Graff. Thank you for creating this thread and I hope that you will get the best information with regards to how much will a like-new DJI Mavic Pro be worth 5 years from now. Thank you for your support.

Thank you DJI Stephen. I thought it was a much overdue question to ask the community. I think there's some validity to the question at this point in juncture, given if you look on the DJI Store, a refurbished original Mavic Pro is selling for more than a refurbished Mavic Pro Platinum??? Am I on to something??
2019-8-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The general rule of thumb is that as soon as you take a retail item home, or drive a car off the dealer's lot, it depreciates 40%.

Electronics are still rapidly evolving, and generally depreciate faster than hand-made items; next year's models always are much improved, yada yada. Is the original Mavic Pro going to be a collectible? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. I'd sell it while you can still get some money out of it.
2019-8-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 8-25 16:48
The general rule of thumb is that as soon as you take a retail item home, or drive a car off the dealer's lot, it depreciates 40%.

Electronics are still rapidly evolving, and generally depreciate faster than hand-made items; next year's models always are much improved, yada yada. Is the original Mavic Pro going to be a collectible? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. I'd sell it while you can still get some money out of it.

Yes, you are right about the depreciation rule. But what rule and what schedule are we incorporating?

Straight line depreciation?
Double declining balance?
Modified accelerated cost recovery rule?

How are we calculating amortization? Are we doing so equally over a period of years or are we using an impairment test? I know it sounds like my career is in valuation, because it is. If you subscribe to Alan Greenspan's irrational exuberance that prices are rational, I would only venture to say remember DJI charged a 50% premium for the M2P over the MP year over year. At this rate in 5 years if DJI were to continue charging a 50% premium for each subsequent Mavic iteration, then we'll see a Mavic crack the $5,000 price point in likely 5 years?? By the time 5 years comes around, a Mavic Pro including all drones are going to be locked down with a geofencing and NFZ evolution that will practically make the drone flying experience almost entirely automated, and as a result, people may be looking to some of DJI's earlier Mavic iterations as a means of experiencing a more truer flying experience, and that could command a heft premium from now for a Mavic Pro original??

I appreciate your feedback, thank you.
2019-8-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The refurbished Mavic you will receive back from DJI will never be worth more then the $900 bucks you were offered for it....  they made a ton of these things.
2019-8-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 8-25 19:05
The refurbished Mavic you will receive back from DJI will never be worth more then the $900 bucks you were offered for it....  they made a ton of these things.

Is it a refurbished Mavic Pro that you get back from DJI Care Refresh+ or a new drone, I thought it was a new drone? Then I guess buyer beware because I told the buyer it was a new Mavic Pro that DJI sends to its customers for replacement??? Guess I will subtly inform the buyer of this info but I'm not going to reduce the offer price, especially since DJI is selling the refurbished Mavic Pro for $799 and this includes two brand new batteries at $89 plus two used batteries, my Mavic Pro case, and Fly More Combo accessories....
2019-8-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-25 19:17
Is it a refurbished Mavic Pro that you get back from DJI Care Refresh+ or a new drone, I thought it was a new drone? Then I guess buyer beware because I told the buyer it was a new Mavic Pro that DJI sends to its customers for replacement??? Guess I will subtly inform the buyer of this info but I'm not going to reduce the offer price, especially since DJI is selling the refurbished Mavic Pro for $799 and this includes two brand new batteries at $89 plus two used batteries, my Mavic Pro case, and Fly More Combo accessories....
It will be a refurbished unit.  Honestly though, have a look at used MP prices on EBay, and some other sources like Mavicpilots...  Also what happened to your original MP?  Did you send in your original batteries with it?   How are you getting 2 new batteries?  Did you buy them?  You won’t get batteries with refresh plus...
2019-8-26
Use props
MrTitan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This topic makes me think of modern day computer games collecting.  Some people are convinced any celebrated title that’s kept in pristine condition (and preferably sealed) will be worth a small fortune in the future, because AAA retro games are famed for selling for many times their original price.  Realistically retro game prices have generally toppled and only select rare and sought after examples are worth big bucks - and most of those games have pretty much peaked in terms of their financial investment potential.

Importantly, retro games were made in fairly low numbers and were often traded or owned by children who threw away the boxes and trashed the game cartridges.  Quality boxed examples can be quite rare, but they’re mostly still not worth big money considering how long the game will have needed to be looked after etc. New games are made in their millions and sold to a more savvy consumer base. They won’t be truly rare for decades and decades, and the same is probably true for DJI drones like the Mavic Pro.  They were made in vast numbers and many will be kept in excellent or new condition by a fairly large number of collector types. Plus the batteries will bloat and deteriorate after a time and can even be a fire hazard, which begs the question; is it sensible to store unopened battery packs for many years?  

I reckon an original unopened Mavic Pro will be worth about $1000 to the right buyer in 5 odd years. I doubt they will be worth huge sums of money in the more distant future and will probably peak at today’s equivalent of $1500-1800 max within the next 2-3 decades or so.
2019-8-26
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Price will depreciate until you get practically nothing for it... take the 900$ asap!
2019-8-26
Use props
The Farmer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165495 ft
United States

How much is a 5-year old iPhone worth? Electronics don't hold much value in the short term nor even in the longer-term unless they become rare items, belong to a celebrity, part of some historical events, etc.
2019-8-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

$900 is a great offer, with the advent of new craft, this will insure that price of MP will continue to reduce .
2019-8-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depends on the usability and condition and whether the product carries a following as a niche item down the line. As a relatively modern piece of tech it will continue to depreciate, level off at a few hundred bucks then those in mint condition will become a nostalgic product to future buyers in which case the value may increase to the right buyer over a longer period of time. Someone flying a Mavic 10 in 2027, for example, may see an original Mavic Pro from 2016 in mint condition and will pay through the nose for it if it still works perfectly and the apps are still around to use it. One other thing are the accessories - as they stop production of essential items those you have will massively increase in value. A good example of that is the 1345T props on the Inspire 1 - they were £8 a pair and production of them have now stopped. I've seen brand new pairs of 1345T props being sold on Ebay for as much as £120 a pair - I have 16
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 8-26 04:51
It will be a refurbished unit.  Honestly though, have a look at used MP prices on EBay, and some other sources like Mavicpilots...  Also what happened to your original MP?  Did you send in your original batteries with it?   How are you getting 2 new batteries?  Did you buy them?  You won’t get batteries with refresh plus...

Wouldn't the value of a sealed box refurbished DJI Mavic Pro be worth exactly what DJI is charging - $799? It is coming from DJI themselves and for Care Refresh+  the pick of Mavic Pro's I believe have priority over the DJI Store, since they are earmarked I'd imagine for customers who already own a Mavic Pro?

You are correct the batteries do not come with Care Refresh+, these batteries were a separate transaction. What would you equate my package is worth:

-sealed unopened box unactivated Mavic Pro (Refurbished?)
-used Remote Controller in excellent condition that has achieved a range of 18,200 feet distance.
-2 new Mavic Pro batteries in closed, sealed boxes sent from DJI (Manufactured dates on box of July 2019)
-2 used batteries
-battery charger
-USB battery charging adapter (hardly ever used)
-Black Incase Mavic Pro travel case (used in excellent condition)
-2 gimbal braces
-2 gimbal covers
-2 gimbal cover plastic protectors
-All the associated controller connecting wires (only the Micro USB cable is used, Lightning and USB C cables are brand new never used).

Thanks!
2019-8-26
Use props
Michael Miami Sweden
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24199 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Take the offer and run
2019-8-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Take the offer, start the car.....
2019-8-26
Use props
skidout
New
United States

I've got an old 286 cpu 4mb memory computer for sale for $2500 would you buy that?  
2019-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-25 14:22
Thank you DJI Stephen. I thought it was a much overdue question to ask the community. I think there's some validity to the question at this point in juncture, given if you look on the DJI Store, a refurbished original Mavic Pro is selling for more than a refurbished Mavic Pro Platinum??? Am I on to something??

Thank you for the additional information you have shared and your insight as well with regards to this matter David Martin Graff. There is chance that some collectors might be interested due to its sentimental value being the first foldable DJI consumer drone. So just keep it well stored, take care of it and we will see what happened after 5 years. .
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

skidout Posted at 8-26 09:25
I've got an old 286 cpu 4mb memory computer for sale for $2500 would you buy that?

Does it fly and did it revolutionary change the drone industry (or computer industry in your case?)
2019-8-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Close to zero here in NL.
Since you won't be allowed to fly it anymore because of new regulations.
2019-8-26
Use props
djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l
lvl.2

United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-26 08:34
Wouldn't the value of a sealed box refurbished DJI Mavic Pro be worth exactly what DJI is charging - $799? It is coming from DJI themselves and for Care Refresh+  the pick of Mavic Pro's I believe have priority over the DJI Store, since they are earmarked I'd imagine for customers who already own a Mavic Pro?

You are correct the batteries do not come with Care Refresh+, these batteries were a separate transaction. What would you equate my package is worth:

Wouldn't the value of a sealed box refurbished DJI Mavic Pro be worth exactly what DJI is charging - $799?
Not to me. Would you pay exactly the same price to a stranger for something you could have delivered to you from Amazon within a couple of days? There's always the possibility that the stranger isn't giving you exactly what's promised, not to mention the fact that you probably wouldn't be able to return it within 30 days.
2019-8-26
Use props
djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l
lvl.2

United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-26 11:33
Does it fly and did it revolutionary change the drone industry (or computer industry in your case?)

People don't pay a premium for things because they're "revolutionary" but they do pay for things they really want that are rare. Mavic Pros, even ones still in the box, aren't exactly rare.
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-26 11:25
Thank you for the additional information you have shared and your insight as well with regards to this matter David Martin Graff. There is chance that some collectors might be interested due to its sentimental value being the first foldable DJI consumer drone. So just keep it well stored, take care of it and we will see what happened after 5 years.  .

The last time I did something of this regard, it was the year 1989. I was 13 years old and a collector of baseball cards. That year I saved up and purchased a 1989 Donruss Wax Case that has 20 boxes that hold 20 packs of baseball cards for the 1989 baseball year. I paid $225 from a place called Johnny Adams. Because it was pot luck on the cards in the packs, I purchased a 1989 Fleer set case also for $225 that included 15 boxes or sets of the 1989 baseball year for Fleer baseball cards. Generally there is exact overlap between Donruss and Fleer, just depends on which manufacturer you prefer, which also included that year Topps baseball cards and Upper Deck as the 4 major and most respected companies.

Anyone who knows American Baseball, the year of 1989 for Major League Baseball showcased two of the biggest Hall of Fame Inductees: Centerfielder Ken Griffey Jr. and Starting Pitcher Randy Johnson, therefore whatever the values of their rookie cards of 1989 Donruss and 1989 Fleer is valued at, it is assumed there is 1 Ken Griffey Jr. and 1 Randy Johnson rookie card in each Donruss wax box, whereas the Fleer case is comprised of 15 individual sets that contain every card Fleer released that year in number sequence so for certainty there are 15 Ken Griffey Jr and Randy Johnson rookie cards.

Believe it or not my luck it appears today those cards are not worth more than the $225 I paid for each unopened case. Nobody ever offered me anything for them, I'm not sure if this goes without saying for a DJI drone, but I thought I'd share my collectible nostalgia story as a base case of how not to collect collectibles...
2019-8-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Keep it for personal nostalgia later on down the line, or sell it now to maximize return.  You didn’t mention what happened to your original MP.  You put a lot of mileage on that bird didn’t you?
2019-8-26
Use props
MrTitan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have to disagree with what appears popular opinion as I believe a still sealed MP will increase in value over a period of many years and decades as interest in the emergence/growth of the drone industry takes hold. The Mavic will likely prove an important step in the evolution and user-base growth of drone tech and collectors will emerge willing to pay to own a piece of that history. This has happened with many products that people assumed would devalue to nothing and so threw away or misplaced - which makes the product rarer for those that kept it and looked after it.  

Having worked as a trader in collectibles and retro gear for a number of years I learned first hand from mistakingly undervaluing certain items that escalated in financial value beyond what was commonly assumed due to changes in pop culture etc.  No individual 286 computer springs to mind that is broadly considered a game changing elegant icon of uniquely effective creative design, but.the original iPod, Walkman, iMac, Gameboy etc. have all substantially increased in value when boxed, new and sealed.  So wait long enough and find the right buyer and an original all new Mavic Pro could be worth a fair wedge more than its current value.

Saying all that, I’d still take the $900 now and run.
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l Posted at 8-26 13:26
Wouldn't the value of a sealed box refurbished DJI Mavic Pro be worth exactly what DJI is charging - $799?
Not to me. Would you pay exactly the same price to a stranger for something you could have delivered to you from Amazon within a couple of days? There's always the possibility that the stranger isn't giving you exactly what's promised, not to mention the fact that you probably wouldn't be able to return it within 30 days.

I think we all have to realize that whenever a company releases new iterations of its products,, they usually release them with better overall hardware however that doesn't necessarily mean the new product isn't accompanied by a few "gotchas" that limit or eliminate some useful feature that was popular on the previous, outdated and now obsolete version.

Therefore, you never know what people will find valuable and coveted, and the Mavic Pro might soon be considered one of those coveted items??
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l Posted at 8-26 13:27
People don't pay a premium for things because they're "revolutionary" but they do pay for things they really want that are rare. Mavic Pros, even ones still in the box, aren't exactly rare.

I think a Mavic Pro sealed in the box never activated is rare, excluding in the fact that you're DJI? Whatever stock exists on Amazon will soon be none as we'll probably see no more of them being sold, and until then  we are waiting and hoping....
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MrTitan Posted at 8-26 15:55
Have to disagree with what appears popular opinion as I believe a still sealed MP will increase in value over a period of many years and decades as interest in the emergence/growth of the drone industry takes hold. The Mavic will likely prove an important step in the evolution and user-base growth of drone tech and collectors will emerge willing to pay to own a piece of that history. This has happened with many products that people assumed would devalue to nothing and so threw away or misplaced - which makes the product rarer for those that kept it and looked after it.  

Having worked as a trader in collectibles and retro gear for a number of years I learned first hand from mistakingly undervaluing certain items that escalated in financial value beyond what was commonly assumed due to changes in pop culture etc.  No individual 286 computer springs to mind that is broadly considered a game changing elegant icon of uniquely effective creative design, but.the original iPod, Walkman, iMac, Gameboy etc. have all substantially increased in value when boxed, new and sealed.  So wait long enough and find the right buyer and an original all new Mavic Pro could be worth a fair wedge more than its current value.

I appreciate your opinion and the largely negative sentiment is beginning to be the school of thought that most do not value the Mavic Pro as anything worth a premium to what its original selling price yielded...
2019-8-26
Use props
Charbonnet
New

United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-26 16:39
I appreciate your opinion and the largely negative sentiment is beginning to be the school of thought that most do not value the Mavic Pro as anything worth a premium to what its original selling price yielded...

You've convinced yourself that it's going to make you rich. Why keep pushing the issue and disputing others opinions, ones that you came here to ask. Just leave the topic and go and plan on the new boat you're going to buy with the money from your Pro in 5 years.
2019-8-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-26 08:34

I think Id take the $900 for it,   if you had it in full retail packaging you might have something collectable but a refurb sealed in a box with the other items like the controller "loose" doesn't sound very collectable to me.
2019-8-27
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

In 5 years you might get $100 to $200 for it. Thats all.
The batteries wont work any more, it'll be 3 or more generations behind.  It may not comply with new regulatory conditions in lots of countries.

Drones are mass produced consumer items and go obsolete exceedingly quickly.  There are literally millions made and most of those end up unwanted and stuck in cupboards as the newer models take their place.

2019-8-27
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought  the inspire 1 pro I bought for $4300 would really hold its value, fast forward 3 years and it’s now worth about $900 bucks. The only thing that would increase the mavic 2 value is if quads were banned and the mavic 2 was the last of its kind....
2019-8-27
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought  the inspire 1 pro I bought for $4300 would really hold its value, fast forward 3 years and it’s now worth about $900 bucks. The only thing that would increase the mavic 2 value is if quads were banned and the mavic 2 was the last of its kind....
2019-8-27
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-8-27
Use props
KerryG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic did NOT revolutionize the drone industry. I don't know what you are basing that on. If anything, the Phantom 1 did and what do those go for? Pretty much zero these days. The Phantom 2 Vision Plus was the first drone to offer a fully integrated stabilized camera system that pretty much anyone could get. There is no value in those either. If you think you are going to hold onto a Mavic Pro and see it increase in value, you are very much mistaken.
2019-8-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-26 16:37
I think a Mavic Pro sealed in the box never activated is rare, excluding in the fact that you're DJI? Whatever stock exists on Amazon will soon be none as we'll probably see no more of them being sold, and until then  we are waiting and hoping....

It’s probably the biggest selling consumer drone to date, but it’s basically crude plastic with very much out of date hardware and software , I think it will have no value in 5 years, it’s only value is it’s still got pretty modern tech and a camera same as an iPhone 6 , it’s only value is now and everyday that passes its loosing value.
2019-8-27
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charbonnet Posted at 8-27 01:35
You've convinced yourself that it's going to make you rich. Why keep pushing the issue and disputing others opinions, ones that you came here to ask. Just leave the topic and go and plan on the new boat you're going to buy with the money from your Pro in 5 years.

I don't think a Mavic Pro is going to make me rich, unless you use the drone commercially for a profit.
2019-8-27
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

I have to agree with others - you should take that $900.   There is nothing rare or "limited edition" about the Mavic, and the tech will look ridiculously out of date in 5 years.   
2019-8-27
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2019-8-27
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-27 12:00
**** The posts are shielded ****

My Mavic Pro is under warranty until March 14, 2020 so if the person wants a new controller then they can just send it in for replacement. I think it's a good deal for someone like this person who never owned a drone and doesn't want to buy new? I have a sealed Mavic Pro from DJI along with 2 brand new batteries never opened or activated. Buying that from DJI would cost $799 + $89+ $89 = $977 if you include the value of the other 2 used batteries, carrying case, new low noise props, 2 sets of new stock Mavic Pro props, USB battery adapter, why wouldn't the person want to buy the Mavic Pro from me instead of DJI? It's scheduled to arrive today instead of tomorrow, UPS got ahead of schedule. The person is coming over today to look and review everything. They're getting the same deal as from DJI plus more accessories for a larger discount ~$300? In this case I would rather buy it from this person, because it's a rare deal that nobody has a sealed DJI shipped Mavic Pro and new batteries? It's not stolen I have my paperwork for everything and this person will be reviewing everything carefully. I also provided a return option if they purchase everything then I will refund them the cost as long as the drone wasn't involved in an accident. I'm sincere and want the person to enjoy the new purchase, I'm not trying to dupe or make this person buy something they're not going to like. I even offered to go flying with the person, where I can show the person how to fly the Mavic Pro.
2019-8-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules