Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dimitrios M
lvl.3
Flight distance : 754705 ft

mcbutler Posted at 10-7 12:34
Why is GPS disabled at night??

The GPS works at night.
The vision system doesnt work due to the lack of light.

Also the Home Point works great but you dont have the pricise landing aveliable due to the lack of light

Safe flights
2019-10-10
Use props
Dimitrios M
lvl.3

DaveHaz Posted at 10-9 02:13
just curious, what does GPS have to do with night or day?   How do planes fly and google maps work at night, if GPS is affected by the lack of light?

GPS is not affected by DAY/NIGHT time. It has to do with the amount of satellites is availiable on your device
2019-10-10
Use props
fansa4c01e48
New

United States

When it is too dark and the vision system is disabled the drone also disables the GPS.  This is most likely because the GPS is unaware of trees, power lines and other very local obstacles that the drone might fly into if it were simply flying from GPS waypoint to GPS waypoint. I had the drone in the air last night and had to fly manually, relying on line of sight and the camera image of the night lighted football field I was filming at 175 feet altitude from 150 feet outside the stadium, over some very tall pines.
2019-10-20
Use props
ernie_e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Not sure I want to fly at night yet.
2019-12-12
Use props
Dimitrios M
lvl.3
Cyprus

izotop Posted at 2019-10-8 06:47
doesn't led on m2p belly, for example, light on automatically (if it's on in the settings) during lift on on landings? i think it's bright enough (imo, is very strong for its size) , to do that.

The GPS function doesn't depent on source of light. So it doesnt matter if you fly day or night. From the other side, m2p vision sensors work only at day time
2020-4-8
Use props
Dimitrios M
lvl.3
Cyprus

AlansDronePics Posted at 2019-9-29 12:45
I didn't know that gps won't work at night. I actually don't understand why it doesn't. Perhaps someone can explain.
Apart from that, if gps isn't working at night, how can waypoints work?

The fuction of GPS doesnt depent on light source. It works with sattelites.
in the other hand The vision system doesnt work at nighttime due to the lack of light.

Also the Home Point function works great but you dont have the pricise landing aveliable due to the lack of light during the take of and landing.

Safe flights
2020-4-8
Use props
djiuser_N0dzUi3NWkPI
New

United States

fansa4c01e48 Posted at 2019-10-20 16:56
When it is too dark and the vision system is disabled the drone also disables the GPS.  This is most likely because the GPS is unaware of trees, power lines and other very local obstacles that the drone might fly into if it were simply flying from GPS waypoint to GPS waypoint. I had the drone in the air last night and had to fly manually, relying on line of sight and the camera image of the night lighted football field I was filming at 175 feet altitude from 150 feet outside the stadium, over some very tall pines.

This is incorrect.  GPS DOES WORK AT NIGHT. As far as your statement about the drone automatically turning it off since it can’t detect obstacles as it flies from waypoint to waypoint is incorrect as well.  Many drones don’t have onboard vision/obstacle avoidance systems, yet use GPS.  Although they may be used in conjunction with one another for navigation, in terms of how they operate, one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  
If you aren’t able to get a GPS lock at night, it could be the availability of satellites in your location, or you’re not waiting long enough for your drone to lock on, but there’s no reason the GPS would not work at night.  Satellites transmit via radio waves, which are completely unaffected by whether it’s light or dark out.  Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to watch TV, listen to XM radio, or use your vehicle’s navigation system at night... just to name a few.  
2020-7-4
Use props
djiuser_N0dzUi3NWkPI
New

United States

fansa4c01e48 Posted at 2019-10-20 16:56

This is incorrect.  GPS DOES WORK AT NIGHT. As far as your statement about the drone automatically turning it off since it can’t detect obstacles as it flies from waypoint to waypoint is incorrect as well.  Many drones don’t have onboard vision/obstacle avoidance systems, yet use GPS.  Although they may be used in conjunction with one another for navigation, in terms of how they operate, one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  
If you aren’t able to get a GPS lock at night, it could be the availability of satellites in your location, or you’re not waiting long enough for your drone to lock on, but there’s no reason the GPS would not work at night.  Satellites transmit via radio waves, which are completely unaffected by whether it’s light or dark out.  Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to watch TV, listen to XM radio, or use your vehicle’s navigation system at night... just to name a few.  
2020-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules