Mavic going up nonstop at takeoff
3268 26 2019-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andres82
lvl.2
Panama

As per title, a couple of days ago I was set on flying my mavic air, calibration was good so proceded to takeoff. Propellers started moving and the AC started going up and I was expecting it to hover after approximating the 1.2m mark however this didn´t happen and it kept going up, at this point I started to get worried as I was afraid that it would lose control and fly away (it happened the last time and crashed with some trees). It didn´t shoot straight up, however it was steadily rising (my fingers where off the joysticks at all time) and by the time it was about 15-20m high I commanded it to land by swiping on my phone however I had to repeat this procedure again as the first time it did not comply. Thankfully the second time worked and the ac safely landed. The experience however left me concerned as I don´t know why it did not hover at 1m as it should and my previous unexpected crash has left my confidence on the ac shaken.

I should note that before the mentioned crash I had been able to fly my ac with no problems whatsoever, any advice is greatly appreciated.
2019-8-29
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Throw the logs up here.
I'm surprised you did not find the cause of the issue you said happened on the last flight...
2019-8-29
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

The most likely explanation is that your VPS readings continued to indicate close proximity to the ground even after gaining altitude, but post the flight log to PhantomHelp using the instructions on that page and then post a link back to it here if you want more than speculation.
2019-8-29
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2
Panama

Thanks for the replies guys, seems like I need to plug in my iphone to itunes on my computer to retrieve the flight logs which I can´t do currently at work so it will have to wait until I get home.
2019-8-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

sounds like bottom firing sensor is either damaged or covered/dirty and it thinks the ground isn't far away and trying to avoid it.    good way to see if this is true is to look at VPS readings in app while in flight, see if they VPS readings change.  if they stay the same or only change a bit and stay red that means it feels too close to the ground or too close to something below it trying to keep a min distance from it.
2019-8-29
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2
Panama

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-29 09:30
sounds like bottom firing sensor is either damaged or covered/dirty and it thinks the ground isn't far away and trying to avoid it.    good way to see if this is true is to look at VPS readings in app while in flight, see if they VPS readings change.  if they stay the same or only change a bit and stay red that means it feels too close to the ground or too close to something below it trying to keep a min distance from it.

This was my first time flying the drone after it was repaired by DJI in Panama. When retrieving it at the store they did a test in the store in which the drone hovered with no problem and was flown with no issues inside the store so I would not think the sensor is damaged or dirty.
2019-8-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Andres82 Posted at 8-29 10:32
This was my first time flying the drone after it was repaired by DJI in Panama. When retrieving it at the store they did a test in the store in which the drone hovered with no problem and was flown with no issues inside the store so I would not think the sensor is damaged or dirty.

well thats what im thinking based on what you mentioned with hits behavior. the bottom firing sensors likely seeing something and trying to slowly move away from anything too close to the "belly" of the drone.    but you can override it and trigger landings.    best way to see if its bad VPS sensor system is to seeif you can other VPS readings during flight, a bad VPS will show alot of invlaid readings where may jump around alot showing large distance changes or wont show any changes.  if VPS reading is red in app then means too close and will begin to move away.  
2019-8-29
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2
Panama

DJIFlightRecord_2019-08-25_[18-00-38]csv.zip (12.12 KB, Down times: 13)
2019-8-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Andres82. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. Since this unfortunate incident happened and there was a crash that happened on said drone. I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a case for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for what happened and thank you for your support.
2019-8-30
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2
Panama

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-30 08:25
Hello and good day Andres82. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. Since this unfortunate incident happened and there was a crash that happened on said drone. I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a case for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for what happened and thank you for your support.

Hi Steven thanks for your reply. The damage from the crash (damaged gimbal) was already replaced by DJI store in Panama although they took several months to do this and I paid for the repair. So I wonder if there is a point on starting up a case for something already done. However, I would like to know more about why the ac kept going up at takeoff.
2019-8-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Andres82 Posted at 8-30 10:07
Hi Steven thanks for your reply. The damage from the crash (damaged gimbal) was already replaced by DJI store in Panama although they took several months to do this and I paid for the repair. So I wonder if there is a point on starting up a case for something already done. However, I would like to know more about why the ac kept going up at takeoff.

Hi, sorry for the late response. could you please PM me your email account, the serial number of the drone and the repair number if you have one, we will check and see what we can do for you,  thank you.​
2019-8-31
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2
Panama

DJI Diana Posted at 8-31 14:03
Hi, sorry for the late response. could you please PM me your email account, the serial number of the drone and the repair number if you have one, we will check and see what we can do for you,  thank you.​

Hi Diana, pm sent!
2019-9-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Andres82 Posted at 9-1 15:33
Hi Diana, pm sent!

Hi, received and replied. Thank you for your patience.
2019-9-2
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Maybe preflight stick cal you volunteered yourself doing caused the disobediance?
Unless prompted, stick cal is not a necessity, unless telltale indications tell otherwise.
2019-9-2
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2

cutis Posted at 9-2 16:34
Maybe preflight stick cal you volunteered yourself doing caused the disobediance?
Unless prompted, stick cal is not a necessity, unless telltale indications tell otherwise.

I suppose could be, haven´t had a chance to try again, need to find a safe place.
2019-9-4
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2

DJI Diana Posted at 9-2 08:32
Hi, received and replied. Thank you for your patience.

PM´d you back, haven´t heard back from you. Thanks.
2019-9-4
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Andres82 Posted at 9-4 11:18
PM´d you back, haven´t heard back from you. Thanks.

Apologies for the late response. Kindly check your message box. Thank you.
2019-9-4
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2

DJI Diana Posted at 9-4 12:20
Apologies for the late response. Kindly check your message box. Thank you.

Kindly check your inbox. Rgds.
2019-9-6
Use props
cutis
Second Officer

Why was calibration performed in opening paragraph? Is it demanded or mere entertain?
2019-9-7
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2

cutis Posted at 9-7 15:34
Why was calibration performed in opening paragraph? Is it demanded or mere entertain?

It was done to be safe, I know now that if not demanded it should not be done. However, from my previous unexpected crash I felt uneasy about flying without calibration first.
2019-9-14
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

Andres82 Posted at 8-29 17:42
Finally got home. I´m attaching the flightlog from the takeoff issue a couple of days ago and for good measure also attaching the flight log from the crash several months ago. Any comments appreciated.

I just now noticed that you had posted these, and it looked like it stopped ascending on its own at around 20 feet / 7 meters above the ground. I believe what happened is that you left the "Precisely record takeoff point" box checked when you took off, and the aircraft is ascending high enough to photograph the landing point so that it will recognize it if / when you want to perform a precision landing. In other words, it looks like it's probably behaving correctly, and if you don't want it to ascend to that height, just uncheck the box I mentioned prior to takeoff.
2019-9-14
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2

Gimpy Posted at 9-14 11:06
I just now noticed that you had posted these, and it looked like it stopped ascending on its own at around 20 feet / 7 meters above the ground. I believe what happened is that you left the "Precisely record takeoff point" box checked when you took off, and the aircraft is ascending high enough to photograph the landing point so that it will recognize it if / when you want to perform a precision landing. In other words, it looks like it's probably behaving correctly, and if you don't want it to ascend to that height, just uncheck the box I mentioned prior to takeoff.

Thanks for your reply, I did not know that was an option to be honest. I did select the option to record the current location as home, is that the same?
2019-9-16
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

Andres82 Posted at 9-16 11:53
Thanks for your reply, I did not know that was an option to be honest. I did select the option to record the current location as home, is that the same?

Take a look at this link, specifically the second image / screen under item #12. I'm guessing your takeoff display looks something like that, and if you uncheck the "Precisely record takeoff point" (as shown in the image on that page), your MA will remain much closer to the ground after takeoff, though you also won't be able to do a precision landing.
2019-9-16
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2

Gimpy Posted at 9-16 13:18
Take a look at this link, specifically the second image / screen under item #12. I'm guessing your takeoff display looks something like that, and if you uncheck the "Precisely record takeoff point" (as shown in the image on that page), your MA will remain much closer to the ground after takeoff, though you also won't be able to do a precision landing.

Thanks for the link, very helpful, I really cannot say if I checked that or not, hope that I did and that´s why it kept going up and there´s no issue with the ac.
2019-9-17
Use props
cutis
Second Officer

Trust the software demands prompted of you
Volunteering your hunch of cal necessity isnt soft demanded
Understand that what you introduce into the operations can add chaos to the mix. In your case no harm no foul. But chaos opportunity still could occur. So why risk by invite hunch to cal?
2019-9-22
Use props
Andres82
lvl.2

cutis Posted at 9-22 14:50
Trust the software demands prompted of you
Volunteering your hunch of cal necessity isnt soft demanded
Understand that what you introduce into the operations can add chaos to the mix. In your case no harm no foul. But chaos opportunity still could occur. So why risk by invite hunch to cal?

Thanks, I now know that I shouldn´t. It was just a case of trying to being extra careful after a weird crash.
2019-9-24
Use props
cutis
Second Officer

Andres82 Posted at 9-24 10:43
Thanks, I now know that I shouldn´t. It was just a case of trying to being extra careful after a weird crash.

Up mountain dangerous fall risks i placed so much tender handling of fully expanded drone plus expanded comboRcCell
No harm no foul.
But the risks undertook handling.
Drone costs cheap versus tragic unexpectance.
2019-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules