Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Swollen Batteries - Manufacture date?
1688 4 2019-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Just a quick post as people seem to be reporting swollen batteries on this forum and the mavicpilots forum.

A few of us are trying to work out possible trends and so far one that seems to be emerging is all the batteries in question seem to have been manufactured in or before August 2018.

So a quick question for anyone who has had M2 (pro or zoom) batteries swell up - what is your data of manufacture?

You can get this from the swollen battery in Go4 (the battery submenu when connected) or if you use a surface like AirData its in the logs there.
Failing that, can you state when you bought the drone (this will give a no-later-than date which is better than nothing).

Feel free to join the thread on the other forum as well if you've got any input.

2019-9-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

my refurbished mavic 2  included battery isn't swelling up but i think it maybe suffering from shorter flight times than it should be..   my avg flight time varies but 18-22 minutes i would say thus far is pretty much my avg.  

example:  today one of my flights remeber to check battery run time at landing (10%)  was 21 minutes.  all position mode flying mostly below the trees as i was shooting a house for a friend, very light breeze.

date listed is i think 2019-06.  not if mine applies but maybe something to note?

2019-9-2
Use props
fans8b803c8d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>

I can confirm that last week I returned two bloated Mavic 2 Pro batteries to DJI. Both had less than 20 recharge cycles and were manufactured before Aug 2018. One battery was bloated to the point of triggering the battery connection warning notice in-flight so I quickly landed. The battery was straining at the clips. I checked the battery previously used that day and it too was bloated. I assumed it might have been that the 32˚C summer temperature was causing the batteries to overheat. The batteries were always stored semi-discharged until the next usage, were kept in cool conditions and were never charged when hot.

The DJI service centre in Hong Kong confirmed they were dangerous to use and offered a 20% discount on the purchase of two new batteries which I accepted.

Two other batteries purchased at the same time (at the Mavic 2 launch) seem to be okay for now. A third battery, purchased earlier this year, also seems okay.

I too have suspicions about the cause; perhaps an early design defect, poor quality components or assembly, or insufficient testing and quality control. The warranty period for these batteries is either six months or 200 recharge cycles for a failed battery to qualify for a free replacement. In my case the battery was well over the time period but well under the charging cycles limit.

Considering the fire danger these Li-Ion batteries pose if they're in an unstable state DJI should assume responsibility and investigate to see if there is a pattern of problems with a certain batch of batteries. If there is they should launch a recall / replacement programme such as Apple has recently done with the MacBook Pro.
2019-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

fans8b803c8d Posted at 9-3 00:14
I can confirm that last week I returned two bloated Mavic 2 Pro batteries to DJI. Both had less than 20 recharge cycles and were manufactured before Aug 2018. One battery was bloated to the point of triggering the battery connection warning notice in-flight so I quickly landed. The battery was straining at the clips. I checked the battery previously used that day and it too was bloated. I assumed it might have been that the 32˚C summer temperature was causing the batteries to overheat. The batteries were always stored semi-discharged until the next usage, were kept in cool conditions and were never charged when hot.

The DJI service centre in Hong Kong confirmed they were dangerous to use and offered a 20% discount on the purchase of two new batteries which I accepted.

Useful to know...

I live in the tropics and had assumed it was a temperature issue (32c every single day) but from the forum posts elsewhere its looking more and more like all the swelling batteries share the common trait of being manufactured on or before August 2018.
I flew the Mavic1 for a lot longer in the same conditions with no issues.
All 3 of my batteries died but unlike you the same DJI service centre said no, the batteries were 7 months old and 20 cycles so out of warranty so nothing would happen.  So i just had to spend $450 on new batteries.
These 3 newer batteries have now surpassed the originals in terms of cycles and show no sign of swelling.....
2019-9-3
Use props
azzamen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14616165 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I have 14 batteries Mavic 2 Pro. Number of charge cycles - up to 65. Less than a year of use. No one of them was not swollen. But 6 of them was broken.All of broken batteries was 2018.10.
2019-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules