How do I extend my range???
12701 33 2019-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans10f81651
lvl.2
Flight distance : 190640 ft

Hi,
    I just bought a used, but in Great condition, Phantom 3 standard, and installed the
RCGEEK Range Extender Signal Booster Antenna Copper Parabolic Compatible with DJI Phantom 3 Standard Phantom 3 SE Remote Controller
. However My range is still only about 500 meters. I also operate it out in the countryside where there is little to NO inteference.

So my question is this, what can I do, if anything, to get the 2-7 km kind of range I am reading about in this forum? Do I need a better range extender? or Do I need to downgrade my Firmeware? Or is there something else I can do to get the kind of range I am reading about on this site of about 2-7 KM? Also, if I need to downgrade my Firmware, will that have a potentially damaging effect on the operation of my Phantom if I screw it up somehow, since I am not real Techy???

Lastly, maybe 500km is the best this unit can do, and if so, please just let me know that too.

Thanks for any ideas or advice you can share.

2019-9-3
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft

The P3 standard does not get the range the others get. In the states it gets about 3,000 ft.
2019-9-3
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

In what country do you use your bird?
2019-9-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. We do not recommend using a range extender for your DJI Phantom 3 Standard since we cannot guarantee the outcome when using this said accessory. Also, the maximum transmission distance of the DJI Phantom 3 Standard is FCC> 1000M and for CE> 500M. In addition, we couldn't switch between FCC and CE. The aircraft will automatically identify the country and region where it locates according to the condition of the mobile device and the GPS of the aircraft, and switch between FCC and CE in accordance with local laws and regulations. Hope this will clarify your query for us. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-9-3
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft

That's about as good as it gets.
2019-9-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft

There are a number of things you can do to increase range, but the first thing you should do is educate yourself on how your system works.  You should also learn how to aim your stock controller, and learn how to maximize range with your stock system.  That is sooooo very important.  Do your research and learn about your system.  

Once you do that and you have a thorough understanding of how your system works and how to get the best range from your stock system, you can consider mods if you wish.  But trying to mod without understanding the system will lead to a host of problems and make things much more complicated.  

If somebody is telling you their parapolic deflector is compatible with both the Standard and the SE, then you know for sure they're idiots.  Do not buy their product.  The Standard and the SE are completely different systems.  The controllers look the same; the systems are completely different.  Run, run, run away from this seller.

Good luck

2019-9-3
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

Peterx Posted at 9-3 11:28
In what country do you use your bird?

I operate in the USA

2019-9-3
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it is what it is, and I’ll work with it a bit longer before I do anything, if I do anything at all.

2019-9-3
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

I will say after reading about the ARGtek range extender, it looks like it’s worth a try to get a little more range for a cheap price?
2019-9-3
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

Then the bird should reach 1 km in distance  FCC confirm. Here my bird does  it up to 450+ in rural and 250 in urban areal.
2019-9-3
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

fans10f81651 Posted at 9-3 16:21
I will say after reading about the ARGtek range extender, it looks like it’s worth a try to get a little more range for a cheap price?

I just ordered the ARgtek. it's pretty cheap, so I felt is was worth a try. if it doesn't do anything, I can always switch back to the original antenna. Stay tuned.........
2019-9-4
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

Peterx Posted at 9-3 18:21
Then the bird should reach 1 km in distance  FCC confirm. Here my bird does  it up to 450+ in rural and 250 in urban areal.

I am gonna give the ARGtek a try.  It was pretty cheap on Ebay, and "Nothing ventured, Nothing Gained"!! I'll let this board know what effect it had one way or the other in a week or two.
2019-9-4
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

Goldenseal Posted at 9-3 11:06
The P3 standard does not get the range the others get. In the states it gets about 3,000 ft.

I'd be happy with 3000' and I keep reading that the P3 Standard should be capable of that type of range, but probably no more. So all I am trying to do is get to the 3000' range area, and I'll be a happy camper.
    Gonna give the ARGtek a try. It was cheap and looks easy to install. If it does do anything, I'll just live with the 1500' range I now have. I hope to get it within the next couple of weeks and will let this board know the results................
2019-9-4
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

ALABAMA Posted at 9-3 11:50
That's about as good as it gets.

Thanks, I'm gonna try the ARGtek just to see if that helps...??? Stay tuned....
2019-9-4
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

Mark The Droner Posted at 9-3 14:34
There are a number of things you can do to increase range, but the first thing you should do is educate yourself on how your system works.  You should also learn how to aim your stock controller, and learn how to maximize range with your stock system.  That is sooooo very important.  Do your research and learn about your system.  

Once you do that and you have a thorough understanding of how your system works and how to get the best range from your stock system, you can consider mods if you wish.  But trying to mod without understanding the system will lead to a host of problems and make things much more complicated.  

Thanks!!!!
2019-9-4
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft

One of the best ways is to fly from the highest spot around.  Doesn't cost anything and you shouldn't fly behind objects.
2019-9-4
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft

The Argtek does increase range - just be careful to make sure the antenna leads are plugged in correctly and fully inside the case.

I fiited Argtek to a pals Std in the field ... yes - true - did it on the tailgate of his car. Range went from 500m to 2000m ...

He asked me to do it after he witnessed my Std reach over 2000m in same field.

My maximum with Argtek with parabolic reflector as well - I put two reflectors together for the centre stick antenna :

Gave me over 4525m ....

The main aspect though for me was to secure more reliable closer signals etc. As out of box - my Std was like many others - very poor on distance and it didn't seem to have any semblance of average for urban or rural. It was really hit or miss. The reflector gave me a reasonable addition for its cost, but combined with the Argtek - it really made a difference.
2019-9-4
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

WD9EON Posted at 9-4 08:26
One of the best ways is to fly from the highest spot around.  Doesn't cost anything and you shouldn't fly behind objects.

Thanks, will give it a try.
2019-9-6
Use props
fans10f81651
lvl.2

solentlife Posted at 9-4 09:15
The Argtek does increase range - just be careful to make sure the antenna leads are plugged in correctly and fully inside the case.

I fiited Argtek to a pals Std in the field ... yes - true - did it on the tailgate of his car. Range went from 500m to 2000m ...

Well, now that my ARGtek is in the mail, I went out with my standard controller with a small parabolic antenna reflector just to give it a try. I never pushed on altitude, but at 300’ of altitude I went 1 mile.
    So, since that is more than enough range for me, I am wondering if I should even install the ARGtek?
Anyway, it’s a great problem to have. Very happy right now!!
2019-9-6
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Easy answer........................Buy a P4Pro or Mavic 2

But it sounds like you found what you were looking for.  That's great,  ENJOY!!

Randy
2019-9-6
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft

The old saying :  Dont Fix what aint broke !

2019-9-8
Use props
Bears Fan
lvl.2

rwynant V1 Posted at 9-6 18:36
Easy answer........................Buy a P4Pro or Mavic 2

But it sounds like you found what you were looking for.  That's great,  ENJOY!!

2019-9-9
Use props
Bears Fan
lvl.2

solentlife Posted at 9-8 02:21
The old saying :  Dont Fix what aint broke !

2019-9-9
Use props
fck_nzs
New

How can I open a new topic?
I have a problem with my P3S. Each time I use it, the low signal message begins to appear and disappear. This is very frustrating because it happens to me even when I am 20 meters from the drone. A ridiculous distance, especially when you should be able to reach 500 meters easily. It appears and disappears constantly, it even begins to perform the RTH when the signal is "lost" for a few seconds.
2019-9-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer

Sounds like one of your antenna connections on the 5.8 ghz receiver is bad - a bad connection or bad cable.  So when it switches to one particular antenna, it loses signal and indicates low signal.  Then it switches back to the good antenna and your signal is good again and indicates same.   Back and forth over and over.  

Good luck
2019-9-13
Use props
DroneCaptain68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1183720 ft
United States

Well, maybe inspect the onboard systems?
2019-12-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fck_nzs Posted at 9-13 11:07
How can I open a new topic?
I have a problem with my P3S. Each time I use it, the low signal message begins to appear and disappear. This is very frustrating because it happens to me even when I am 20 meters from the drone. A ridiculous distance, especially when you should be able to reach 500 meters easily. It appears and disappears constantly, it even begins to perform the RTH when the signal is "lost" for a few seconds.

What sort of area are you operating in?
2019-12-26
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was going to say w/ software mods but that's for the P4.
2019-12-26
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

I never could understand why some P3S drones would go out farther than others in the stock configuration.  I have a P3S that would not go out more than about 1,500 feet.  I also have the P3Pro, so I used that if I needed to go farther.  But I crashed my P3S one day about 18 months ago.  I sent it to DJI for repair.  When it came back I was surprised to find that the range had been extended to about 3,500 feet without any mods.  My son also has a P3S and his range was no more than about 1,300 feet.  Since I didn't need that kind of range  with the P3S I gave it to him and took his low-range Drone with me.  I still fly his old low-range Drone just for practice and it still will only go out about 1,300 feet before signal loss.   He is still flying the DJI repaired Drone I gave him and he is still getting it to go out in excess of 3,500 feet.  I just don't know what the difference is between the two Standards.
2020-1-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I have heard people complain about the P3S that way - some are more limited in range than others.  In your case, I wonder if it's a FW issue?  There is a guy on the other site who posted his findings after testing regarding attenuation of the air-side receiver on a P3P.  There were various models of receivers, and a range of different attenuations depending on the FW and the receiver board and the mode.  The gist of it was, the new FW in the USA may be best but most likely no change, the newer FW in the rest of the world was almost certainly worse.  

So I have to wonder if similar attenuations are present on different P3S receivers and FWs?  

See post #7 here:  https://phantompilots.com/thread ... -understand.139237/
2020-1-9
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 2019-12-26 22:14
I was going to say w/ software mods but that's for the P4.

If you realized what you were going to say was incorrect, then why did you say anything at all?

How many times do you have to be told that if you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't say anything. Your past record shows that you haven't got a clue about the topics that you comment on. And you can't take advice from those who do know.

When you post rubbish new pilots don't know that you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

I only hope that nobody listens to your garbage and has a serious accident some day.

IF YOU DON"T HAVE ANYTHING INTELLIGENT TO SAY  -  STFU
2020-1-9
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

c
2020-1-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I'm gonna guess you've never read the forum rules.
2020-1-9
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

1Eagle Posted at 1-9 10:33
If you realized what you were going to say was incorrect, then why did you say anything at all?

How many times do you have to be told that if you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't say anything. Your past record shows that you haven't got a clue about the topics that you comment on. And you can't take advice from those who do know.

I have intelligent things to say but they are intelligent secrets.
2020-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules