Crashed Mavic Air in my room, in Smart Capture...yes I know :)
955 8 2019-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
_danilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275646 ft

Hello pilots,

I'm not here to whine for what I did, I'm here to share what happened and potentially start discussion that will add new facts to common knowlage database about MA possitioning sistem and it's limitations. So please restrain yourselves from YOU SHOULD HAVE NOT...comments.

OK, so I know that DJI aircrafts should not be operated in the room, especially not in Smart Capture mode, let alone in Smart Capture mode with no remote controller nor mobile phone connected to the device...which is what I did At least I did one thing right, I set the prop guards. It was sort of an experiment how well it can handle extreme situations. I have to admint that I didn't RTFM, at least not for Smart Capture mode, so I was not avare of what sensors are enabled durign this operating mode. I stood about 2 meters infront of it and I opened balcon doors behind it so it does not block rear facing VPS (probably one more bad decision). I have managed to pick it up 5-6 times, controll it, take photos and videos. The one thing that didn't work well was distance commands. Eather I was doing it wrong or it was because of the proximity limit because I was to close and the opened doors were 10cm away from its rear-left prop. Sometimes it would come to close to me that hand gesture commands stops working, less than a meter away.
On the video you will see one bang at the 00:02 , what was opened doors, then I tried to bring it closer, then it didn't wanted, then I wanted to bring it to take of position and than it starts flying upwards (probably detected desk beneath), hit the sealing and fell under the chair. It possibly lost my hand as en imput and tried RTH or whatever. I paniced a bit and grabed it from the top after what it stoped the props. One buckle of prop guard loosened up from the inpact and the prop hit chair leg. It probably stoped props because of this impact, not my soft fingers.

Long story short, there was no aircraft damage aside from two dameged props and few minor prop bites on my fingers. Although I need to check it outside in order to check if everthing is ok.

To recap the BAD decisions I've made:
  • Flew indors
  • Flew indors in Smart Capture mode
  • Flew indors in Smart Capure mode with no remote nor mobile phone connected
  • Grabbed aircraft while motors were still rotating
The GOOD decision I've made:
  • Attached the prop guards

Cheers and fly safe!

Damaged props & finger prop bites

Damaged props & finger prop bites

2019-9-4
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>

Good advice for others. Never nice when they bite. I lost the tip of my little finger with a racing drone. Surprisingly it grew back in.
2019-9-4
Use props
_danilo
lvl.4

Yeah, these are kind of a blunt on the leading edge, probably for safety reasons. I guess that is what makes them loud. Wander if low noise props are sharper...just thinking.

I have reflex to drop throttle eny time aircraft hits the ground and always keep thumb over the throttle while trying to pick it up...but had no controller in this case

2019-9-4
Use props
Vofas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 200853 ft

And the drone reacts unpredictably when approaching a close distance to a hidden electrical wiring, especially if at that moment a strong electric current arises through it and, as a result, the magnetic field changes sharply.
2019-9-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to read that but thanks for sharing your experience
2019-9-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Unlucky,  I've touched my spinning props before on the M2P and it hurt like hell but didnt cut me.
2019-9-5
Use props
1RONMAN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1880 ft

Lol I've had same issue just after buying my Air. Also had some nasty bites on my fingers, because I've actually grabbed it directly from the air and my fingers were also numb for a while.))

By the way in my case everyhing was almost exactly same way - lost control, starts to fly upwards, hits ceiling, and then I've grabbed it. Except for the thing that I've actually used remote controler but paniced and wasn't able to do smth.)) Props were scratched so I've replaced them right away.

Here is a little advice from my experience: if your drone bites you - get some ice and hold it with your fingers. At first it hurts a little but then it helps to cure faster.
2019-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

“Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”
2019-9-5
Use props
_danilo
lvl.4

Once I'm on open and safe space I'll try to repeat this scenario, at least the part where I'm close to it and try to make it lose me from its frustum, I'll observe what happens and report here. Aside from above suggestions for what could have gone wrong.
2019-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules