How close to metal
6032 37 2015-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

good day all!, I am wondering how close or far do you have to be from a metal object to calibrate the IMU? Example in my room I have my computer to which I use the Phantom2 Vision Plus to run the Assistant software, but I also have my gun safe within 2ft. of my computer. Seems like every place there is metal around. If anyone has the answer I would appreciate immensely. Thank you for your time.
2015-6-9
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Calibrating the IMU you just need to be perfectly level, front to back and side to side. Shims under the landing gear help. For the. Compass calibration get out in the yard 30-40 ft away from any metal objects. If the compass calibration fails, find a field close by. You don't want any metal, cell phone or even key close to the plane when you do the compass calibration.
2015-6-9
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-6-10 00:28
Calibrating the IMU you just need to be perfectly level, front to back and side to side. Shims under ...

Oh??? so it's just for the compass calibration you have to be away of metals and such. Great!! thank you much!, I always thought it was for the IMU calibration too!.
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
lvl.4

United States

You also need to stay away from metal during regular operation. For example you would not want to set your Phantom down on a metal surface and take off.  
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
lvl.4

United States

You can however leave you keys and cell phone in your pocket during regular operations, just not during the compass calibration.
2015-6-9
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

DJIDave Posted at 2015-6-10 05:03
You can however leave you keys and cell phone in your pocket during regular operations, just not dur ...

What if I have a metal plate in my head?
2015-6-10
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

DJIDave Posted at 2015-6-10 05:03
You can however leave you keys and cell phone in your pocket during regular operations, just not dur ...

Thanks for the info Dave!

Jerry
2015-6-10
Use props
derekoneill99
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

I have metal plates and screw in my wrist, would this effect compass calibration?
2015-6-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

flydronefly Posted at 2015-6-10 22:15

Do you have a friend that can do the compass calibration for you?
2015-6-10
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.3

United States

The metal pins are most likely stainless.
2015-6-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

derekoneill99@e Posted at 2015-6-11 00:59
I have metal plates and screw in my wrist, would this effect compass calibration?

Yes, it could, seeing how as you would be holding the Phantom and your wrist would be very close to the compass located on the landing gear.
2015-6-10
Use props
derekoneill99
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks guys, i had a fly away today,  lost signal and flew into a forest never to be seen again
2015-6-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

The metal pins and screws in your wrist are titanium, (surgical steel) which is non magnetic.  I have a 2 inch plate in my neck with 5 pins and when I go through an airport screening device, it won't set them off.  They won't affect your compass calibrations.
2015-6-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-6-11 01:46
Yes, it could, seeing how as you would be holding the Phantom and your wrist would be very close t ...

Dave, the steel the surgeons use is stainless steel, which is non magnetic.  It won't affect compass calibrations.
2015-6-10
Use props
derekoneill99
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Ok thanks,  anyway my Pv2 has flown away , i dont think I'll see it again
2015-6-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-6-11 02:28
Dave, the steel the surgeons use is stainless steel, which is non magnetic.  It won't affect compa ...

Thank you Gerry
2015-6-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

derekoneill99@e Posted at 2015-6-11 02:33
Ok thanks,  anyway my Pv2 has flown away , i dont think I'll see it again

Sorry to hear this. I do hope you find it.

Primary causes of “Fly Aways”:

Pilot error:

•        Pilot did not calibrate the compass prior to launching.
•        Firmware is not upgraded.
•        IMU has not been calibrated.
•        Loss of orientation.

Environmental interference:

•        Flying near high tension power lines.
•        Taking off from metallic surfaces, concrete with rebar, manhole covers, cars and pickup tailbeds etc..
•        Flying near microwave towers and cell phone towers.  
•        Interference from the copter to the GPS/Compass.  This can be from the lipo, video down link or RC link depending on the frequencies.

Hardware failures:

•        Compass/GPS failure.  Check the Mod readings in Assistant.  If the calibration does not bring them into normal range, contact your dealer for replacement.
•        IMU failure.  Make sure that the IMU/Naza/Phantom controller is mounted with the supplied DJI double stick tape.  If not reattach and test.  Also check the Mod readings in Assistant.  If they will not come into normal range after advanced calibration, contact your dealer for replacement.
•        ESC/Motor connections.  Make sure that the ESC’s are connected to the flight controller correctly and they motors are connected to the ESC’s.  There have been reports of bullet connection failures.

There may be others but this is a list that if you follow the cautions and do the recommendations you should be problem free.
2015-6-10
Use props
derekoneill99
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks for the info, much appreciated
2015-6-10
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

flydronefly Posted at 2015-6-10 22:15

Aaaaah, that explains it!    (sorry, couldn't let that one go by).

Barney
2015-6-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-6-11 09:02
Aaaaah, that explains it!    (sorry, couldn't let that one go by).

Barney

Good one Barney.  
2015-6-10
Use props
Kilted Flyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Dont think so.. Its only "Magnetic" or "Ferrus" metals you have to worry about.. The metal in your body is not the type that will attract a magnet. Aluminum, stainless, Titanium, and others should not effect the operation of the compass.
2015-6-14
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 597795 ft
United States

I read through the manual and it says nothing about "Don't take off of a metal surface."  Today I launched off the top of my car and immediately after it went in the air the controller said "Mag Inf" then I had no control at all.  The mavic drifted over into some bushes and all 4 props are damaged.  Please update the instruction manual!
2017-2-26
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Towlie Posted at 2017-2-26 18:57
I read through the manual and it says nothing about "Don't take off of a metal surface."  Today I launched off the top of my car and immediately after it went in the air the controller said "Mag Inf" then I had no control at all.  The mavic drifted over into some bushes and all 4 props are damaged.  Please update the instruction manual!

Firstly, congratulations on bumping a 2 year old thread on the Phantom 2.

Secondly, in the Mavic manual under the "flight environment requirements" number 2 - Fly in open areas, tall structures and large metal structures may affect the accuracy of the on-board compass and GPS system.

So its all there to read and understand.
2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Towlie Posted at 2017-2-26 18:57

You cannot have launched without warnings first.  

I have a Ford Ranger and if I put my drone in the tray I get warnings.  I never launch closer than around 15 feet from my Ranger.
2017-2-27
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

Harbourside Posted at 2017-2-27 10:21

Secondly, in the Mavic manual under the "flight environment requirements" number 2 - Fly in open areas, tall structures and large metal structures may affect the accuracy of the on-board compass and GPS system.

1. It was an open area.
2. The top of my car isn't a tall structure
3. Weather or not it's a Large metal structure is debatable.  I would think of a large metal structure to be something like a water tower.  I don't think that requirement is very clear at all.  Especially after taking off.  The drone moved several feet away from the car and still had no control.
2017-2-28
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-27 10:26
You cannot have launched without warnings first.  

I have a Ford Ranger and if I put my drone in the tray I get warnings.  I never launch closer than around 15 feet from my Ranger.

I didn't see any until after the drone went up into the air.
2017-2-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Towlie Posted at 2017-2-28 13:28
1. It was an open area.
3. Weather or not it's a Large metal structure is debatable.  I would think of a large metal structure to be something like a water tower.  I don't think that requirement is very clear at all.  Especially after taking off.  The drone moved several feet away from the car and still had no control.

The item that is affected by metal is the compass unit, so when you place your aircraft on the top of your car, you put the compass within a couple of inches of steel sheet. That is about as bad as it can get, so it is not surprising that your aircraft misbehaved. However I do agree with you that the manual is quite short on 'practical' advice.
2017-2-28
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-28 13:34
The item that is affected by metal is the compass unit, so when you place your aircraft on the top of your car, you put the compass within a couple of inches of steel sheet. That is about as bad as it can get, so it is not surprising that your aircraft misbehaved. However I do agree with you that the manual is quite short on 'practical' advice.

Thank you.  I know now what not to do again.  I wish DJI would own up to the mistake.  Update their manual and take responsibility for my propellers.  In the meantime I'm going to buy a new set on my own and lesson learned.

They can't expect a newbie to know this kind of stuff.
2017-2-28
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

Driving home on the New Jersey Turnpike the other night, I saw a smashed quad between lanes. White with two red bands on the arms - sure looked like a P3S.  I guess 16 lanes of slowly moving traffic could be considered a metallic object and maybe disorient your compass.   BTW - it was only about 2 miles from Newark Liberty Airport.  The jets come in at about 100-200 feet right over the roadway.
2017-2-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Palladous Posted at 2017-2-28 13:54
Driving home on the New Jersey Turnpike the other night, I saw a smashed quad between lanes. White with two red bands on the arms - sure looked like a P3S.  I guess 16 lanes of slowly moving traffic could be considered a metallic object and maybe disorient your compass.   BTW - it was only about 2 miles from Newark Liberty Airport.  The jets come in at about 100-200 feet right over the roadway.

Well, that's a new one! We will be ready for when the owner comes on here to ask if we can help find his lost drone. The answer is that it is now roadkill on the New Jersey Turnpike.
2017-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Towlie Posted at 2017-2-28 13:42
Thank you.  I know now what not to do again.  I wish DJI would own up to the mistake.  Update their manual and take responsibility for my propellers.  In the meantime I'm going to buy a new set on my own and lesson learned.

You are right about the manual not mentioning this.
It's not metal you have to watch out for - it's iron and steel, or electromagnetic influences like power cables.
And always remember that reinforced concrete is half steel.

I'm surprised you didn't get a compass warning that prevented you from starting the motors.
When I've put the Phantom on the car roof, it wouldn't let me start it up.
2017-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Palladous Posted at 2017-2-28 13:54

"I guess 16 lanes of slowly moving traffic could be considered a metallic object and maybe disorient your compass.  "

Unless you come down to a metre or two from the cars, they would have no effect.
I frequently photograph very large steel ships without having any compass issues.
2017-2-28
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2017-2-27 10:21

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
2017-2-28
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-2-28 15:32
Really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Was it a metal barrel ?
2017-2-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A beer keg, Is pretty metal. Not necessarily heavy, but when full can be fun...

It's easy to make them lighter too. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-28
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Towlie Posted at 2017-2-28 13:28
1. It was an open area.

Doesn't matter if it's an open area. A car has a lot of metal in it. What you think is irrelevant.
If you try and launch a drone next to your car you will get warnings.  Maybe you just didn't tealize or ina  rush to fly ignored them.
2017-2-28
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Towlie Posted at 2017-2-28 13:42

I think DHI will own up to YOUR mistake.  Put any compass on sheet metal and you will see it can be affected.
2017-2-28
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-28 20:11
I think DHI will own up to YOUR mistake.  Put any compass on sheet metal and you will see it can be affected.

Nope.  Their mistake.  You can expect a beginner to know what's going on inside the drone.  That's what the user manual is for.  I did my dudiligence by reading the entire thing cover to cover.  Only says not to fly near large metal objects.

Took over 15 communications and opening 2 BBB cases against DJI but eventually they did own up to it and sent me new props.
2017-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules