Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stereo audio input with Osmo Pocket Audio Adapter?
4573 14 2019-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Does the audio adapter allow for the recording of stereo audio?  I am hoping to be able to connect a stereo mic to the Osmo Pocket.

2019-9-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

There are lots of early threads on this topic on the forum and although the audio adapter is TRS and requires a wired mic connected as stereo, meaning there must be a live feed to the tip and ring with the return to the sleeve, the output is neither mono nor true stereo. DJI will only reply that it is two-channel. If you want true stereo you are better off using an external recorder.
2019-9-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-8
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

DJI Tony Posted at 9-8 11:57
Hi, thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo. Thank you for your support.

Thanks for the response. I am thinking of using a Zoom H2 so the signal would be stereo.
2019-9-9
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-8 08:59
There are lots of early threads on this topic on the forum and although the audio adapter is TRS and requires a wired mic connected as stereo, meaning there must be a live feed to the tip and ring with the return to the sleeve, the output is neither mono nor true stereo. DJI will only reply that it is two-channel. If you want true stereo you are better off using an external recorder.

Thanks for the response. I plan on using a Zoom H2 so I can get a recording of sound source on that, and also a recording a passed through to the Osmo Pocket. Having stereo direct on the Osmo Pocket will reduce the amount of post processing work needed.
2019-9-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-9 04:46
Thanks for the response. I plan on using a Zoom H2 so I can get a recording of sound source on that, and also a recording a passed through to the Osmo Pocket. Having stereo direct on the Osmo Pocket will reduce the amount of post processing work needed.

I understand.  The internal mics give a sort of stereo in the right conditions but the separation of channels using the audio adapter is almost non-existant if at all in my opinion. Try comparing the two recordings side by side and tell me what you think. If nothing else your setup would allow easier syncing if needed.  
Actually, the reply you get from DJI  Tony is the first time I've seen a Mod here use the term Stereo.
2019-9-9
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-9 07:29
I understand.  The internal mics give a sort of stereo in the right conditions but the separation of channels using the audio adapter is almost non-existant if at all in my opinion. Try comparing the two recordings side by side and tell me what you think. If nothing else your setup would allow easier syncing if needed.  
Actually, the reply you get from DJI  Tony is the first time I've seen a Mod here use the term Stereo.

I will probably get an adapter in the next month or two. I will let you know what results I get.
2019-9-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-9 07:45
I will probably get an adapter in the next month or two. I will let you know what results I get.

I will be interested in what you think. Good luck finding an adapter.
2019-9-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

TheCameraLens Posted at 9-9 04:42
Thanks for the response. I am thinking of using a Zoom H2 so the signal would be stereo.

You're most welcome. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback with regard to this query. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-10
Use props
Sauliuslag
lvl.4
  • >>>

Hi, thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo. Thank you for your support.

Are you sure ???  I have been tested a stereo microphone on OP and did't found any difference.OP got two mono channels !!! And you can't to record stereo on it !!!
2019-9-11
Use props
Sauliuslag
lvl.4
  • >>>

Are you sure ???  I have been tested a stereo microphone on OP and did't found any difference.OP got two mono channels !!! And you can't to record stereo on it !!!
2019-9-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Sauliuslag Posted at 9-11 05:56
Are you sure ???  I have been tested a stereo microphone on OP and did't found any difference.OP got two mono channels !!! And you can't to record stereo on it !!!

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The Osmo Pocket is recorded in stereo but the dual channel cannot be separated.  Hope that this would clarify your query. Thank you for understanding.
2019-9-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

DJI Tony Posted at 9-12 14:30
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The Osmo Pocket is recorded in stereo but the dual channel cannot be separated.  Hope that this would clarify your query. Thank you for understanding.

Hi DJI Tony.
It sounds like you are saying that left and right channels are being recorded to channel one the then recorded again on channel two. That effectively both channels contain both the left and the right information and that information cannot be reconstituted into its component parts. Is that correct?
2019-9-12
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-12 23:14
Hi DJI Tony.
It sounds like you are saying that left and right channels are being recorded to channel one the then recorded again on channel two. That effectively both channels contain both the left and the right information and that information cannot be reconstituted into its component parts. Is that correct?

If that’s the case then someone was having a bad day when they came up with that idea, still I guess stereo is a bit new to expect everyone to get their heads around!
2019-9-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 9-13 01:44
If that’s the case then someone was having a bad day when they came up with that idea, still I guess stereo is a bit new to expect everyone to get their heads around!

It's complicated.
There is some indication that the Osmo Pocket itself can record stereo with its inboard mics but the mics are placed at 90 degrees to each other in the vertical plane and again in the horizontal so it doesn't pick up what your ears hear no matter what you do with it and can't as far as I'm aware can't be rectified with editing although in odd circumstances I have heard what could be almost stereo when I've recorded with people below me and to my right. There is some definite separation of the two signals at that point.
The adapter on the other hand as far as I can find out is using a Texas Instruments Burrs Brown four-channel ADC that can be configured several ways. What I don't know is if that is a hard-wired configuration or not or how it has been implemented. If it is hard wired and is indeed the chip I think is being used it may explain why there have been no new adapters on the market for a while if DJI are either changing the chip used or trying to figure out how to get the audio sorted by a rewire.
This is all speculation on my part with no hard evidence to back it up but I do wonder.
What I do know is the audio I'm getting on my Osmo Pocket via my audio adapter is not my idea of a normal stereo image.
2019-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules