How to maintain and keep you MA safe for longer period of time?
826 8 2019-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
XplorerDinesh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft

Hello Friends,

I have 2 MA, One is the black one which i use very frequently and other one is brand new Red colored one which is kept as-it-is, in my wardrobe.
Iam just a little worried about my red colored one, because its been a very very long time, since its just sitting idle in my wardrobe. Well, no worries about the batteries and other stuff, as they are being properly used on a frequent basis. Only concerned about the red drone unit. It looks so beautiful that i am not using it at all and currently just use my black one all the time. As i dont want to loose the red one

Well, my question here is - Is it fine to keep a drone idle like that for a very very very long time? wont it dry out any of the oils in the motors or melt any wires inside it due to the surrounding environment. I stay in India and temp here is like 24-26deg C. Not too hot Not too Cold.

My wife sometimes complains me to fly the red one, as she is worried it might get damaged by itself, by sitting idle for so long. But i simply love its looks and dont want it to get scratched or lose it while flying. I have just kept it as a backup drone, just in case the black one fails.

Please suggest your opinions on this? Are there any maintenance tips to preserve it properly, in case i want to keep it idle for long time.

PS: Do not worry about batteries and remote as i use them frequently.

Thanks & Regards,
Dinesh
2019-9-8
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>

It depends on how long your "Very Very Very Long time" means, Consumer electronics aren't generally made to last decades and with Manufactured obsolescence being a thing , it is more than likely items won't even reach a decade, depending on the item in question.

If you are only worried about your shell getting damaged, you can check if you have a new version Mavic Air, if you have a New version you should be able to change the shell without voiding warranty as you won't break the manufacturer seals, obviously this assumes you don't do any damage to the drone when changing the shell. If you look at where the gimbal is mounted and see 2 glue covered screws, then you have the old version.

It's hard to give an exact storage temperature, for this it would be best to get it from the list of components used which would take a long time to compile, 10-26 degrees is usually a good option. Sealing the item is a good idea to keep out pests, you could vacuum pack it which could slow corrosion/degradation. It all depends on how long your talking about.

Do you have a time window ?
2019-9-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Personally I'd just fly it and enjoy it.  But if you are storing it keep it in the dark to avoid UV damage to the shell.
2019-9-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

RC and batteries are the main things to consider for prolonged lack of use but as your only concern is the drone I wouldn't worry too much about it. That said, store it in a cool place away from direct sunlight as DAFlys suggests and in its case to prevent any dust contamination - there is also no harm to the drone by simply turning it on from time-to-time and checking it over without the need of having to fly it. I would also recommend doing an IMU and gimbal calibration before flying it after it has been sitting around for several months. Must ask the question why you bought it though - thats a lot of cash to blow on a product to put in a closet where it will inevitably lose money and become obsolete tech in time...  
2019-9-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dinesh. Thank you for reaching out. I will be posting a link where in you can find ways on how to store and how to maintain your DJI drones. I hope this can help you. Thank you.

https://store.dji.com/guides/properly-maintain-drone/?from=forum
2019-9-9
Use props
XplorerDinesh
lvl.4

Ben Mason Posted at 9-9 01:15
It depends on how long your "Very Very Very Long time" means, Consumer electronics aren't generally made to last decades and with Manufactured obsolescence being a thing , it is more than likely items won't even reach a decade, depending on the item in question.

If you are only worried about your shell getting damaged, you can check if you have a new version Mavic Air, if you have a New version you should be able to change the shell without voiding warranty as you won't break the manufacturer seals, obviously this assumes you don't do any damage to the drone when changing the shell. If you look at where the gimbal is mounted and see 2 glue covered screws, then you have the old version.

consider a time period of some 3-5 yrs
Agree with all your points.
2019-9-9
Use props
XplorerDinesh
lvl.4

DAFlys Posted at 9-9 01:42
Personally I'd just fly it and enjoy it.  But if you are storing it keep it in the dark to avoid UV damage to the shell.

Done!! Thanks
2019-9-9
Use props
XplorerDinesh
lvl.4

A J Posted at 9-9 05:27
RC and batteries are the main things to consider for prolonged lack of use but as your only concern is the drone I wouldn't worry too much about it. That said, store it in a cool place away from direct sunlight as DAFlys suggests and in its case to prevent any dust contamination - there is also no harm to the drone by simply turning it on from time-to-time and checking it over without the need of having to fly it. I would also recommend doing an IMU and gimbal calibration before flying it after it has been sitting around for several months. Must ask the question why you bought it though - thats a lot of cash to blow on a product to put in a closet where it will inevitably lose money and become obsolete tech in time...

Long story short:
Lost my black MA
Got one time goodwill gesture discount from DJI, bought a new one
After a while found my lost MA
So now 2 MA
2019-9-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

XplorerDinesh Posted at 9-9 22:00