Almost crashed Spark due to "compass errors"
948 8 2019-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thisisallonewor
lvl.1

My spark took off without any issue. I flew it to around 100 m altitude then it started flying away on it's own. That's when it started giving compass errors. By some miracle I managed to fly it back to safety using the video. I must say the errors that come out make no sense when you are panicking for the thing to just work.. It started saying switching to some mode or something that made no sense.. There should be plain english errors, like fly the damn thing back using the controls and video!

In any case, how do I go about analyzing what happened? I plugged the micro SD card into my computer but do not see any logs in any folder?
2019-9-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Spark would automatically switch from P-mode to ATTI mode when compass experiences interferences or GPS signal is not enough. Therefore, we would recommend flying the drone in an open area with enough GPS signal and avoid interferences to prevent the incident. In addition to that, please ensure that the IMU and compass were calibrated, also the firmware is up to date prior to the flight. You may refer to the screenshot below for further details of the ATTI mode. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation in regards to reviewing the flight logs. May you please always have a safe flight. Thank you for your support.

2019-9-9
Use props
nilanjan118
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft

The flight records are not saved in the SD card. You will find them in your mobile device. Please go to the link below to find instructions about locating them.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-9-9
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

What DJI Tony meant to say:

“Hi, we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Spark would automatically switch from P-mode to ATTI mode when it just bloody well feels like it. There is no rhyme or reason for this. It could be due to external influences, magnetic interference, weak GPS,  Venus is in its 7th house, you crossed the path of a black cat or walked underneath a ladder. After analysing your flight logs we might provide a replacement, then again we might not, it all depends how we’re feeling on the day. However be rest assured if we do find the reason for your Spark to fail in such a manner we’ll never share that info as it will probably make us look really  bad.”
2019-9-10
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2275102 ft

Nidge Posted at 9-10 00:38

“Hi, we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Spark would automatically switch from P-mode to ATTI mode when it just bloody well feels like it. There is no rhyme or reason for this. It could be due to external influences, magnetic interference, weak GPS,  Venus is in its 7th house, you crossed the path of a black cat or walked underneath a ladder. After analysing your flight logs we might provide a replacement, then again we might not, it all depends how we’re feeling on the day. However be rest assured if we do find the reason for your Spark to fail in such a manner we’ll never share that info as it will probably make us look really  bad.”

Well said!
2019-9-10
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2275102 ft

Happens from time to time, even with 18+ satelites on the clock.
My first Spark never had this issues, second one was a pig to fly, I had to send it for assesment, they said its all fine. It was loosing GPS all the time.
After sending it for the second time I recieved different bird, so far seems to be sound but I dont trust it.
2019-9-10
Use props
thisisallonewor
lvl.1

DJI Tony Posted at 9-9 13:13
Hi, we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Spark would automatically switch from P-mode to ATTI mode when compass experiences interferences or GPS signal is not enough. Therefore, we would recommend flying the drone in an open area with enough GPS signal and avoid interferences to prevent the incident. In addition to that, please ensure that the IMU and compass were calibrated, also the firmware is up to date prior to the flight. You may refer to the screenshot below for further details of the ATTI mode. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation in regards to reviewing the flight logs. May you please always have a safe flight. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

Thanks. I hope DJI can update the wording for P-mode and ATTI to something more understandable. I've read the manual, but since I fly so infrequently I can't remember what these terms mean. When the drone is  flying away and you are panicking, there should be very clear messages on what is going on and what to do.
2019-9-10
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Nidge Posted at 9-10 00:38

“Hi, we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Spark would automatically switch from P-mode to ATTI mode when it just bloody well feels like it. There is no rhyme or reason for this. It could be due to external influences, magnetic interference, weak GPS,  Venus is in its 7th house, you crossed the path of a black cat or walked underneath a ladder. After analysing your flight logs we might provide a replacement, then again we might not, it all depends how we’re feeling on the day. However be rest assured if we do find the reason for your Spark to fail in such a manner we’ll never share that info as it will probably make us look really  bad.”

:-)         :-)   
2019-9-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

thisisallonewor Posted at 9-10 11:31
Thanks. I hope DJI can update the wording for P-mode and ATTI to something more understandable. I've read the manual, but since I fly so infrequently I can't remember what these terms mean. When the drone is  flying away and you are panicking, there should be very clear messages on what is going on and what to do.

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your feedback. I'll forward your suggestion to our designated department for attention. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules