Environmental activists to Fly Drones in Protest at Heathrow Airport
1979 37 2019-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

https://news.sky.com/story/disruptions-possible-as-environmentalists-plan-to-fly-drones-over-heathrow-11796789
2019-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Are they using drones as weapons of protest, I can’t see anything good for drones in this ridiculous protest .
2019-9-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this interesting article with us. Please be responsible about using our drones,
2019-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 9-10 07:25
Are they using drones as weapons of protest, I can’t see anything good for drones in this ridiculous protest .

The soap-dodging idiots are hoping it'll close the airport.

These'll be cheap toy shop wifi "drones" and i guess a small number.  Mummy and Daddy wont buy them an expensive drone and anyway it'll be in a NFZ.

Should be easy to find them, arrest them and prosecute them under the full power of the law.

They've been causing chaos in cities for a while blockading main roads for days on end, costing local businesses thousands in revenue each.  The police so far have been far far too lenient on them.
2019-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>

These people do my head in! If they're caught they could face prosecution under the terrorism act!
2019-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-10 10:12
The soap-dodging idiots are hoping it'll close the airport.

These'll be cheap toy shop wifi "drones" and i guess a small number.  Mummy and Daddy wont buy them an expensive drone and anyway it'll be in a NFZ.

Agree with all you said, but really was thinking UK got an awful kicking with Gatwick last year, drone flyers got the backlash of the whole commotion, now they are faced with these idiots trying to show that a drone can now be used as some kind of a weapon at the biggest Airport in UK, there is an unhealthy focus on drones again here and while we know it’s rubbish Joe Public will remember this once again as an attempted attack using drones.
Drones have absolutely nothing to do with what they are protesting against, in fact apart from what draw on the environment through manufacturing, drones are relatively eco friendly and pretty much recyclable, but the fact that they are all over the news as potentially being involved with shutting down airports is very negative, in fact I believe if nothing else happens the damage is already done .
2019-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

A J Posted at 9-10 10:15
These people do my head in! If they're caught they could face prosecution under the terrorism act!

Complete idiots, they should get what they deserve .
2019-9-10
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>

Mindless clowns the lot of them, hopefully they will be caught and jailed. Idiots, just idiots.
2019-9-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

i'm all for protesting for your beliefs and rights and even to a degree where it maybe disruptive (good way to force the issue).... but when it becomes destructive such as this is where the line gets drawn and they should get punished.  people on planes that going to new jobs, business meetings, wedding, funerals, etc etc not all are on the plane for leisure and this stunt can cost other people their jobs.  that's not even bringing in the negative effect it will have on drones which is already fighting an uphill batte it shouldnt have to.  

them flying drones over an airport is like them running out into highway blocking traffic at morning rush hour while everyone trying to get to work, moved from disruptive act straight to destructive act and may be costing people their jobs and livelihoods and much more..  
2019-9-10
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft

Crack-pottery. There are better ways to encourage people to be more environmentally aware with positive projects - not with this kind of political activity. Making enemies of the general public is the dummest thing going. Just a shame they will bring further ire of the drone flying community. The only answer is that they get landed with the bill. That said even threatening such disruption with an active intervention - sits in the realm  of premeditated terrorist action.
2019-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

Protest is fine but the second you inconvenience a law abiding person or cost them money you should be stopped and ideally prosecuted for it.
By all means use banners, flags or whatever but if you start blocking roads, paths or harassing people going about their daily, legal lives you've crossed a line and need to be stopped.
So what if people are on the plane for leisure?  Unlike most of the people that person has worked hard, saved money, has time off work and is actually allowed to enjoy that time - they've earned it.  Some unemployed troglodyte funded by mummy and daddy with a banner has no right at all to interfere with that.
2019-9-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-10 10:53
Protest is fine but the second you inconvenience a law abiding person or cost them money you should be stopped and ideally prosecuted for it.
By all means use banners, flags or whatever but if you start blocking roads, paths or harassing people going about their daily, legal lives you've crossed a line and need to be stopped.
So what if people are on the plane for leisure?  Unlike most of the people that person has worked hard, saved money, has time off work and is actually allowed to enjoy that time - they've earned it.  Some unemployed troglodyte funded by mummy and daddy with a banner has no right at all to interfere with that.

pretty much but then again best way to fight back is to cost people money..   so it a balancing act you may want to cost certain people some money to gt their attention but dont want to cost people their livelihood or jobs may not even be against your entire thing...
2019-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

By costing people money you've already lost all legitimacy - what right do they have to effectively steal or disadvantage a 3rd party?
Even if they cost me the price of a cup of coffee, they have absolutely no right to do that and i'd want compensation.
*peaceful* protest should not affect 3rd parties in any way,shape or form.  If it does, its no longer peaceful and they should be prosecuted at the very least for a public order offence.
2019-9-10
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4

Please dont ...
2019-9-10
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft

Just a bluff to get press.
2019-9-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Wow real dumb dumbs.
2019-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 9-10 10:32
Complete idiots, they should get what they deserve .

Totally agree mate - protests stopping thousands of people from travelling is bad enough but to abuse our hobby to endanger life is just vile. They need locking up!
2019-9-10
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>

Kinda disappointing, but you know the first person they catch flying a drone at the airport is gonna get crucified and made an example of.
2019-9-11
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

Ben Mason Posted at 9-11 00:20
Kinda disappointing, but you know the first person they catch flying a drone at the airport is gonna get crucified and made an example of.

We can hope after the Gatwick humiliation.
*HOWEVER*, so far the police have refused to act against this group at all anywhere in the country.
2019-9-11
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-11 02:18
We can hope after the Gatwick humiliation.
*HOWEVER*, so far the police have refused to act against this group at all anywhere in the country.

Well i don't have much information on their actions but i assume they have not broken the law yet so the police can't really charge them with much.
That being said if they do fly a drone at the airport i imagine they would get a heavy fine and plenty of prison time.
2019-9-11
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

Ben Mason Posted at 9-11 02:44
Well i don't have much information on their actions but i assume they have not broken the law yet so the police can't really charge them with much.
That being said if they do fly a drone at the airport i imagine they would get a heavy fine and plenty of prison time.

What we imagine and what happens are different things.

I'd have imagined parking boats across the roads in large city centres and disrupting thousands of businesses would have been fined and arrested too but instead the police decided to do joint speeches with them.

If the people in charge have decided on a "nice, touchy feely" approach then they'll just tell them not to be naughty and do nothing else.
2019-9-11
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

Ben Mason Posted at 9-11 02:44
Well i don't have much information on their actions but i assume they have not broken the law yet so the police can't really charge them with much.

In the United States, at least, they could be charged with conspiracy, and I'd guess the same is true in the U.K. The bigger problem may be figuring out who exactly to charge.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with ALABAMA: my guess is they have no real intention of doing anything except getting attention, which they've already been pretty successful at.
2019-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

I don't understand this world....
2019-9-11
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>

Seems the police have made a number of arrests last night and today......... I hope they throw the book at them and make an example to make folk think twice about using drones in such a way.

Somehow I image a 'slapped wrist and stern talking to' will be the punishment for those convicted and much tougher rules and regulations put upon the drone community worldwide as a result of criminal action of a small minority of nut jobs.
2019-9-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

M2Wair Posted at 9-13 00:06
Seems the police have made a number of arrests last night and today......... I hope they throw the book at them and make an example to make folk think twice about using drones in such a way.

Somehow I image a 'slapped wrist and stern talking to' will be the punishment for those convicted and much tougher rules and regulations put upon the drone community worldwide as a result of criminal action of a small minority of nut jobs.

Up to 10 arrests so far https://news.sky.com/story/heath ... o-arrested-11808171

They have a picture of the drone used but I dont recognise it.
2019-9-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

They'd be better off waiting for them to fly the thing for a few seconds.  Then they can charge them with far more severe offences related to the ANO instead of the conspiracy public nuisance offences.

2019-9-13
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft

DAFlys Posted at 9-13 01:12
Up to 10 arrests so far https://news.sky.com/story/heathrow-drone-protesters-blocked-by-signal-jamming-as-two-arrested-11808171

They have a picture of the drone used but I dont recognise it.

I'm not sure exactly but it looks a lot like the Eachine E33W.  You can get one for under $20.  I assume that if you want to fly a lot of them you need to go cheap.  It takes lots of hours of public poetry reading to come up with that kind of money.
2019-9-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 9-13 02:10
I'm not sure exactly but it looks a lot like the Eachine E33W.  You can get one for under $20.  I assume that if you want to fly a lot of them you need to go cheap.  It takes lots of hours of public poetry reading to come up with that kind of money.

They'll get that from mummy and daddy allowance and use the change for a soy milk latte.
2019-9-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>

Arrests continue - I wonder if they'll pin the Gatwick fiasco from last December on one of the nutters.
2019-9-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

You need proof of a drone first - at Gatwick there is none.
2019-9-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-13 03:03

Well they got arrested, mission accomplished I think , I just can’t remember what the whole thing was about .
2019-9-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

M2Wair Posted at 9-13 00:06

Tree Hugging without the trees, 11 arrests and nobody will ever remember why they were protesting .
2019-9-13
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
  • >>>

Ha! Stopped by a signal jammer, thank god none of these guys are knowledgeable in Telecommunications and drones. Can't give drones a bad name if they don't fly em.
2019-9-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

There's no evidence they were stopped by any sort of signal jammer. Especially in a 5km area encompassing a few towns with household wifi.  Or affecting a drone inches off the ground.

Its far more likely a combination of utter incompetence with cheap, throw away toy drones conspired to make it not fly.
2019-9-13
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-13 04:42
There's no evidence they were stopped by any sort of signal jammer. Especially in a 5km area encompassing a few towns with household wifi.  Or affecting a drone inches off the ground.

Its far more likely a combination of utter incompetence with cheap, throw away toy drones conspired to make it not fly.

You are right i should have put *According to a news article i read*.
2019-9-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

Ben Mason Posted at 9-13 05:14
You are right i should have put *According to a news article i read*.

The news article appears to stem from Sky News filming the 2 neanderthals failing to get a drone to work so saying "it must be a signal jammer".
The reality is theres no evidence at all for one being used.  Its highly unlikely one could be used anyway.

Most news articles dont "do" facts now.  They just report verbatim with no attempt to verify.

2019-9-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-13 03:03

Proof? The proof is in the 'pinning'... ;)
2019-9-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

Right tactics i think. The day is over, nothing on the news, no disruption.  Starving these idiots of the oxygen of publicity.
2019-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules