Why Drone?
620 4 2015-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Who decided it was a good idea to use the word Drone as a catch all name. I know it's trendy and sounds cool and probably decided by some marketing team to boost interest and sales, but I think the word has to many meanings and most of them negative. I look at it like this. It's hard for me to watch cable news. A so called serious news anchor will spends a whole segment or more (if it's a slow news day) on talking about Kim Kardashian or fashion or some other trivial topic, and then seconds later dives into a debate about the state of our union. Sorry can't take this person serious. How can the casual viewer or listener differentiate between serious talks about the U.S use of Drones and some other news about a Drone crashing into the White House lawn. I meet so meaning people while I'm out flying, and most of them are mis - imformed, quoting what they hear on the news. I do my best to answer any questions and not use the name Drone as I'm discussing it. But what should I be using... Please share your thoughts.
BTW - I'm not feeling UAV either. It's another misrepresentation. Shouldn't the aircraft be at least large enough to transport (a man) to be called Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. When people look into the sky and see a Inspire or Phantom I don't think anyone thinks there's an actual pilot inside.
2015-6-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I think you will have to get used to the UAV as most aviation authorities now refer to them as such.  In fact any communications in the UK with local Air Traffic Control (ATC) must be commenced with I am a "Unmanned Aircraft Pilot" so there is absolutely no confusion as to what you are in command of.

I think the reason why most people and media refer to them as drones has come from their use in military operations in the past and it is more sensational for TV reports.
2015-6-9
Use props
SAFAERIALS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

I my opinion the word drone used in this aircraft comes from the Drone (male bee) and the similar sounds they make.
2015-6-9
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

SAFAERIALS Posted at 2015-6-10 02:21
I my opinion the word drone used in this aircraft comes from the Drone (male bee) and the similar so ...

Interesting....I initially thought military but that's a possibility.
2015-6-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Jones5r,

I believe it may have originated in the UK during the Second World war when the Germans sent over the first V1 rockets  during the blitz around 1944.  If I am correct they could be heard and feared by many as once you could no longer hear the buzz that meant it was falling from the sky and likely falling over you.  Hence the association with a drone and bumble bee sound.  They were also described as pilotless aircraft.

2015-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules