Would you fly by this?
1224 24 2019-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>

It’s a TV and radio mast, i’d Be interested in doing a fly - around, but guess that it’s putting out a fair amount of electrical energy.
What do you think? Worth a go, or not? Too windy today anyway, but not far from home.

Talcolnston Mast

Talcolnston Mast
2019-9-12
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>

I have flown around similar towers and also cell towers, high tension power lines and have had no issues but I may have been lucky, I do not have any concrete evidence that it’s ok do fly near them just my own personal experience. These quads are advertised as being for power line,cell tower inspections so you should be ok....
2019-9-12
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 9-12 03:45
I have flown around similar towers and also cell towers, high tension power lines and have had no issues but I may have been lucky, I do not have any concrete evidence that it’s ok do fly near them just my own personal experience. These quads are advertised as being for power line,cell tower inspections so you should be ok....

Thank you, is yellow on the NATS Map, but think if I don’t get too close, should be okay.
2019-9-12
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

Yes fly around similar towers all the time....feed stays fine/signal fine... just be mindful of the wires
2019-9-12
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 9-12 05:37
Yes fly around similar towers all the time....feed stays fine/signal fine... just be mindful of the wires

Thank you!
2019-9-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Nice shot Chris! Thanks for sharing.
2019-9-12
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft

I would keep an eye on my signal and as mentioned THOSE WIRES.
2019-9-12
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>

Just keep your RTH height higher as the mast.
2019-9-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Depends on the drone.
My MP does not have a lot of issues when flying close to interference.
2019-9-12
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

HH1 Posted at 9-12 12:23
I would keep an eye on my signal and as mentioned THOSE WIRES.

Amen to those wires, I’d be keeping a healthy distance.
2019-9-12
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

S-e-ven Posted at 9-12 12:31
Just keep your RTH height higher as the mast.

Thank you, I’d like to, but it’s 165 metres high, 45 higher than the UK Laws permit me to fly, so will take some planning.
2019-9-12
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 9-12 12:39
Depends on the drone.
My MP does not have a lot of issues when flying close to interference.

Thanks Peter, I may do a few flights getting gradually closer first.
2019-9-12
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>

Why certainly, I also have flown around similar towers with zero problems.
2019-9-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Same here. Flown around plenty of these without any issues.
2019-9-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>

No mate - simply because it impact on the compass and transmission
2019-9-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

ChrisJG Posted at 9-12 14:21
Thanks Peter, I may do a few flights getting gradually closer first.

As long as you watch the video transmission, you should be good (it will warn you).
But no guarantees
There have been numerous fly aways with compass errors.
But MP has a redundant compass if I remember correctly, so it might do a bit better.  
2019-9-12
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

Lucas775 Posted at 9-12 18:32
Why certainly, I also have flown around similar towers with zero problems.

Thank you!
2019-9-13
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

Woe Posted at 9-12 21:12
Same here. Flown around plenty of these without any issues.

Thanks Woe, have added to my list then!
2019-9-13
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

A J Posted at 9-12 22:13
No mate - simply because it impact on the compass and transmission

Thanks AJ , May do a wide fly by one day soon.
2019-9-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>

ChrisJG Posted at 9-13 01:53
Thanks AJ , May do a wide fly by one day soon.

Keep a good few hundred metres from it and you should be fine - just don't calibrate the compass near it if you need to.
2019-9-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

ChrisJG Posted at 9-13 01:53
Thanks Woe, have added to my list then!

No problem Chris
2019-9-13
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

I don't know.  May depend on my mood at the time, but I probably wouldn't, unless I'm hired to do so.  There is so much about radio waves/patterns that we still don't know, though most of the time, I don't believe that tower would cause too much interference, at least under 'normal' conditions (whatever that is).
2019-9-16
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>

Probably be ok like others have said if you keep your distance and keep within the laws, These will be marked on the UK Aviation Charts (Sectionals in the US) as HIRTAS  High Intensity Radio Transmission Area and when flying in light aircraft we normally avoid flying directly over or close due to the microwaves they omit, so I would fly with caution as it could interrupt the signal between RC and UAS so if you lose control close to it RTH might have issues as the obstacle avoidance might not work that well with cables.
Might be worth checking if they are always broadcasting as you might find they are not always used, We have some 2 like that on the IOW and we mostly steer clear, I dont want to accidentally damage the mast and be the cause of everyone in the south meridian area missing out on Homes under the Hammer or Eastenders!

Keep your distance and plan your sortie and dont be afraid to move around the base of the mast to ensure you are unobstructed between the RC and the UAS and you should be ok, I mean they use drones to inspect power lines that  whilst they are still on.

2019-9-16
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

Neo Supreme Posted at 9-16 11:28
I don't know.  May depend on my mood at the time, but I probably wouldn't, unless I'm hired to do so.  There is so much about radio waves/patterns that we still don't know, though most of the time, I don't believe that tower would cause too much interference, at least under 'normal' conditions (whatever that is).

Thank you!
2019-9-16
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>

Schmooit Posted at 9-16 11:52
Probably be ok like others have said if you keep your distance and keep within the laws, These will be marked on the UK Aviation Charts (Sectionals in the US) as HIRTAS  High Intensity Radio Transmission Area and when flying in light aircraft we normally avoid flying directly over or close due to the microwaves they omit, so I would fly with caution as it could interrupt the signal between RC and UAS so if you lose control close to it RTH might have issues as the obstacle avoidance might not work that well with cables.
Might be worth checking if they are always broadcasting as you might find they are not always used, We have some 2 like that on the IOW and we mostly steer clear, I dont want to accidentally damage the mast and be the cause of everyone in the south meridian area missing out on Homes under the Hammer or Eastenders!

Thank you, that’s great info. They do look interesting visually, so risk vs reward!
2019-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules