Cannot balance phone
20876 27 2019-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

I cannot balance my S9+ or my old J7 phones on the gimbal. The only phone that can be balanced is the S6 Edge that I have.
When I'm trying to balance my phones, they always end up tilting downwards, and I am 100% sure I'm adjusting both horizontal and vertical axis. I know where the center of gravity my S9+ has, and I can hold it straight with only one finger. However, the gimbal fails to keep it balanced and always falls downwards.

Is there any solution to this? Is my OM3 faulty or is it a general issue for larger phones? My phones weight are less than 180-190 grams (depending on the model I've tested) and all of them are well within the required specs of usage.

I need an answer to this pronto, because I cannot find any articles online regarding the balance apart from the DJI Tutorial and some paid shill videos from different vloggers. I'm leaving for vacation in 11 days and I need to know if I need to replace my unit or just return it back for cash and grab an OM2 or Zhiyun instead. So far I'm really disappointed with the performance of this gimbal and the app's features on Android.
2019-9-12
Use props
LilTommy813
lvl.1

Are you attempting to put it on the gimbal first with it in the folding position and then turning it on or turning it on first and attempting to balance it. Whichever way you are currently trying, try the opposite and see if that works.
2019-9-12
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

LilTommy813 Posted at 9-12 11:30
Are you attempting to put it on the gimbal first with it in the folding position and then turning it on or turning it on first and attempting to balance it. Whichever way you are currently trying, try the opposite and see if that works.

I'm placing my phone while the OM3 is Unfolded and turned off. That's the way it should be. If you turn it on then you place your phone inside, you can't see if you balanced it or not, because the motor of the tilt will try to counter balance it automatically.
2019-9-12
Use props
djiuser_TBfp1GrE7nYd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 629708 ft
  • >>>

https://youtu.be/9LbDu6mdYG0

This works great for me with the Sony Xperia 1
2019-9-12
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

djiuser_TBfp1GrE7nYd Posted at 9-12 13:23
https://youtu.be/9LbDu6mdYG0

This works great for me with the Sony Xperia 1

Yes, I did follow the exact same tutorial, but my S9+ cannot be balanced whatsoever. When I'm setting my phone in landscape mode to balance it, it always tilts downwards towards me, no matter how hard I balance the vertical axis. However, my S6 Edge is rock steady like in the tutorial video.

Can you tell me if your phone is rock steady on the gimbal after you balance it properly? Or is it tilting in any direction like mine.
2019-9-12
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>

Nightfallen. Posted at 9-12 13:33
Yes, I did follow the exact same tutorial, but my S9+ cannot be balanced whatsoever. When I'm setting my phone in landscape mode to balance it, it always tilts downwards towards me, no matter how hard I balance the vertical axis. However, my S6 Edge is rock steady like in the tutorial video.

Can you tell me if your phone is rock steady on the gimbal after you balance it properly? Or is it tilting in any direction like mine.

Remember to hold tight on the gimbal, so that it's only the phone clamp that can move freely..
The phone should only be alloved to move from side to side.. not towards you, when ballancing!
2019-9-12
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

FarmerMac Posted at 9-12 21:59
Remember to hold tight on the gimbal, so that it's only the phone clamp that can move freely..
The phone should only be alloved to move from side to side.. not towards you, when ballancing!

Again, I'm following the exact same steps as shown in the tutorial video. But the phone cannot be balanced. I've noticed another person on this forum with an S10+ having the same issue as mine. Can someone from DJI confirm that this is supposed to happen, or should we RMA our units?
2019-9-13
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>

Nightfallen. Posted at 9-13 00:37
Again, I'm following the exact same steps as shown in the tutorial video. But the phone cannot be balanced. I've noticed another person on this forum with an S10+ having the same issue as mine. Can someone from DJI confirm that this is supposed to happen, or should we RMA our units?

If you do as the manual tells you, then it’s not possible that the phone can tilt towards you. It should be fixed that way with your hand as shown.
When landscape and portrait is adjusted and you let go with your and, it’s ok the phone is out of balance.
Next step is to turn on the OM3 and it will take over and everything is fine.
I can’t see why it should me a special case with your phone compared to other except if it’s to heavy.
2019-9-13
Use props
silver.wave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347559 ft

Completeley same problem with my Galaxy S10.
2019-9-13
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

silver.wave Posted at 9-13 03:57
Completeley same problem with my Galaxy S10.

Have you found any solution? Or an official response from DJI?
2019-9-13
Use props
silver.wave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347559 ft

Nightfallen. Posted at 9-13 05:53
Have you found any solution? Or an official response from DJI?

No. Waiting here for DJI response.
2019-9-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

What you are describing kind of defies the laws of physics, so either you are describing the problem unclearly, or you are not following the procedure correctly.

Unfold the gimbal.  Don't turn it on.

1.  The actual phone holder clamp is attached to an arm.  Hold that arm so that it cannot move relative to the rest of the floppy gimbal, and keep holding it till you have finished the whole procedure.

2.  Rotate the phone holder so that the letters "DJI" engraved on it are the right way up.

3.  Push your phone into the phone holder in landscape orientation with the camera on the left end.  You may have to use two hands to pull the jaws apart, but having got the phone in, once again hold the arm to which the holder is attached.

4.  Slide the phone within the clamps so that the jaws are more or less in the middle of the phone.  The phone should be in landscape orientation with its screen towards you.

5.  Let go of the phone, while still holding the arm to which the holder is attached.  The only possible movement is rotation of the phone.   If the phone rotates to the left, slide the phone through the jaws a little to the right.  If the phone rotates to the right, slide the phone through the jaws a little to the left.

6.  Repeat stage 5 till the phone doesn't tilt one way or the other.  If the phone fits in the jaws, it simply has to balance in this plane at some point.  Laws of physics.

7.  Still holding the arm to which the phone holder is attached, take a look at the back of the phone holder.  You will almost certainly see that one clamp appears to be pulled outwards more than the other.

8.  Still holding the arm to which the phone holder is attached, push down on the clamp which is extended furthest, and you will see that the whole phone holder assembly will slide relative to the arm to which it is attached - that's the arm you are holding.   Keep pushing till the phone clamp jaws appear symmetrical (neither clamp pushed out further than the other).

9.  Now still hold the arm to which the phone clamp is attached so that the phone screen is facing you, and rotate it to the portrait orientation.

10.  If it doesn't stay upright, repeat the jaw-sliding operation described at 8 until it does stay upright.  You will only need to make small adjustments.

11.  Still holding the arm to which the clamp is attached, you should now be able to turn the phone to the landscape or portrait position, or anywhere between, and it should stay there without rotating itself significantly.  If it doesn't, you'll need to go back and repeat the two balancing operations till it does.

12.  That's it.  You're done.  You can now let go of the arm to which the phone holder is attached, and get hold of the handle of the gimbal.  Due to the laws of gravity, the whole gimbal will flop about and the screen of the phone is almost certainly going to end up pointing at the ground.  That's ok.

13.  Turn on the gimbal by holding the button marked "M" for a moment.  The gimbal will go rigid with the phone in the portrait positioni, and the phone screen may appear to be facing slightly towards the ground.  That's actually an illusion - turn the handle so that you can look at the phone side on, and you will see that in fact it's vertical.

14.  Enjoy!

If you have any further problem, please describe at which numbered step above something appears to go wrong.  Then we'll have some idea of what the problem may be.  But I am 99% sure that there will be no problem unless there is some unique manufacturing defect with your particular gimbal.  Phones are not made so lopsided in weight that they can't be balanced in the way I have described.
2019-9-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

In the cold light of dawn, I can see that what you are complaining about isn't a bug, it's a feature.  The feature is, that you only have to balance the phone in the holder.  You don't have to balance the phone with respect to the gimbal as a whole.  The tilt motor is able to do that for you, so long as the phone is within the weight limits stated.  There is no tilt balance adjustment.  A light phone might happen to balance in that plane like in the video, but a heavier phone will inevitably not balance in the tilt plane.  The power of the motor will overcome that - unless for some reason the one you have has a defective tilt motor.  If you try to use the device in an unbalanced state, the app will warn you.  If you don't get a warning you are good to go.
2019-9-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

See this review (at 2'28") where you can see how the gimbal behaves with a heavier phone.  Not a fault.

2019-9-14
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-14 20:24
See this review (at 2'28") where you can see how the gimbal behaves with a heavier phone.  Not a fault.

https://youtu.be/1oEgw0lAsmA?t=148

Yeah, I understand now, seems to be fine I guess. Thank you!
2019-9-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

Well at least we now have the most comprehensive online guide possible to balancing a phone on the Mobile 3.   Glad you're sorted.  Enjoy your trip!
2019-9-14
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-14 23:38
Well at least we now have the most comprehensive online guide possible to balancing a phone on the Mobile 3.   Glad you're sorted.  Enjoy your trip!

Yeah, you totally nailed it haha. Thanks a lot! Keep up the good work!
2019-9-15
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>

That video is wrong WRT balancing.

You can move the phone side to side with the phone bracket to balance it when in portrait mode. Ive a note 10+ and when it’s balanced , it does not flop around like it does in the video.
2019-9-16
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

marctronixx Posted at 9-16 08:01
That video is wrong WRT balancing.

You can move the phone side to side with the phone bracket to balance it when in portrait mode. Ive a note 10+ and when it’s balanced , it does not flop around like it does in the video.

So your Note 10+ is rock steady like in the tutorial video?
2019-9-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

The video I linked to doesn't actually show the phone being balanced, because the tilt arm isn't being held.
2019-9-17
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-17 00:02
The video I linked to doesn't actually show the phone being balanced, because the tilt arm isn't being held.

Their videos are so misleading. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or not, seeing so many replies with different outcomes.

DJI needs to address that ASAP.
2019-9-17
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>

The phone does not flop around. It stays in balance when the gimbal is off.

That video showing the phone flop around is very misleading and gives an overall bad impression of the product.
Here, I just made a rough video. I’m capturing the video with one hand so its not the greatest but you should get right idea.

2019-9-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

Like I said in the other thread, when you let go at the end of your (helpful) video, the phone flops forward.  Some people think this is a fault, because in the official DJI video about balancing the phone, at the end when the demonstrator lets go of the phone, it does not flop forward.  I can only think they used a very light phone.   

There is no issue here.  You need only to use a phone whose size and weight conforms to DJI's requirements, and you only need to balance it on the holder itself, not with respect to the tilt motor.  The tilt motor is designed to handle loads up to the stated weight limit without prior tilt balance.
2019-9-18
Use props
vr44
lvl.1
Flight distance : 199137 ft
United States

Have you ever found a solution?
2020-5-22
Use props
djiuser_K0r9QPVD3vJS
New
United States

Just wondering if anyone know if we can switch between the rear and front cameras, I had read that it was addressed in a update but its not letting me on my note 10+. I'm not even getting the error message, is there a setting I need or what can I do?
2020-5-23
Use props
djiuser_qvCJRCNpkIHn
New

United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 2019-9-14 20:24

https://youtu.be/1oEgw0lAsmA?t=148
Yeah. I have the same issue. My wife's galaxy 8 works fine, but my note 9 gets the unbalanced error message, THEN it flops forward.

The thing is pretty dang balanced, just can't seem to get it, on THIS phone.

Should I return and try again?
2020-6-6
Use props
djiuser_yxgm8dWV5YZN
New

Canada

Nightfallen. Posted at 2019-9-14 21:14
Yeah, I understand now, seems to be fine I guess. Thank you!

Hey, did you ever actually find a solution for this? I got one of these for christmas and it will not balance for the life of me. No matter what I do.

My main phone is samsung galaxy note 20 ultra. Ive even tried a note 9. They both fit inside the holder and both can be balanced and hold their position at any degree (and thats before turning on while stabilizing the main arm with my spare hand) But as soon as I let it go, and turn it on, I always get the yellow unbalanced error...

Ill have to see if we can return it. At this point its kinda where were at, I've spent way too much time on trying to balance this thing.

Unless you have found something that is different than anything mentioned in your original question thread.

Thanks
2021-1-4
Use props
hafeezkalsekar
New

Singapore

Hi Guys ,

Luckily  found this  forum . i am facing same issue with Dji Om5 and  Salaxy s20 fe ..  let me raise case with dji
2021-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules