Ronin SC Steadicam / Jib Crane mount?
2904 7 2019-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>

I had done some previous experiments with my old RoninS to connect the base onto a steadicam arm/vest via the base of the battery grip.However, the results were poor as there was some translational 'wiggle' movement which was irritating and nearlt impossible to stabilize in post.

Seeing this I got the Smallrig Collar mount which enabled me to mount an extra nato-handgrip a little further up the gravitational centre of the gimbal, which slightly improved the issue, but still wasn't good enough.

Because of the weight and other software issues, I eventually sold the RoninS to move to the RoninSC.

Meanwhile I saw Tiffen release a steadycam mount for the RoninS, which seems to be working.

However, this mount doesn't work for the SC which has a differently designed collar. And so far I don't think they are developing anything for the SC.

I was thinking perhaps with a removed battery grip, and a mount that can be attached to a steadicam arm and / or a jib crane / monopod  / slider... would enable extended functionality.
Being able to use the existing battery as the main power supply is vital I believe.

Last time I investigated this avenue, it was not possible to simply extend the battery grip via a cable,adapter, and I believe battey grips are different for the SC also, so I wouldn't think the existing bottom mount accessories would be compatible.

2019-9-12
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Not one reply since September last year? ?
Sad.
2020-7-17
Use props
SilentD1
lvl.2
Denmark

Well here is how I did it

2020-12-14
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for sharing @SilentD1 but I think the problem here is the low pivot point at the base of the gimbal handgrip which will lead to excessive movement up top. Ideally the collar would be placed right underneath the bottom motor, where the battery handle attaches to the gimbal.
So far with the SC, the best results I can come up with is via the smallrig clamp + nato rail+handle+ cametv variable clamp for arm.This combo can also be used underslung, like in this picture

2020-12-14
Use props
fans86ecec59
New

United States

I am having a machinist make a replacement post for a Steadicam Pilot arm, and a right-angle pivot with a bearing that goes into the Small rig collar you use.  He has finished that and it is on its way to me now.  We think we may have to add weights to the bottom of the Ronin SC but we are waiting to see how it works once it gets here.  Mounting a monitor will be the next challenge.  It's a shame you can't adapt the Steadimate to the SC, but I am trying to approximate that without trying to make a complete gimbal.  This arrangement should allow for tilting, which was impossible when just mounting to the bottom of the battery.  I'll post pictures if it works.  If it fails, well, never mind...
2021-4-12
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I'm using this sometimes with a Manfrotto monopod with small gym weights wrapped around this on the bottom. This makes it fairly stable and not too excessively weighty when used on the spring arm. However my biggest gripe is still that neither the latest release gimbals have a round swivel-mountable collar right up top or anything else that could alleviate z-axis movement. I'll be waiting out my gimbal replacement until I see something a little more flexible in that regard. @fans86, please do post some images when you have this, interested on your feedback.
2021-4-12
Use props
gauchofreak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4021995 ft
United States

I have a new Steadimate who came with the old Ronin S ring.No chance to get the Ronin SC ring to engage it to the spring arm.No one has it.Found out a German Company and I exploring it.Tiffen does have a very poor customer service and they did not manufactured that piece.
2021-11-13
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

gauchofreak Posted at 2021-11-13 14:05
I have a new Steadimate who came with the old Ronin S ring.No chance to get the Ronin SC ring to engage it to the spring arm.No one has it.Found out a German Company and I exploring it.Tiffen does have a very poor customer service and they did not manufactured that piece.

now using a custom yoke and tilta float arm. not a lot of innovation out there at the mo
2022-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules