Mavic Air adjusting compass
636 4 2019-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ma.rillo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95302 ft

Hi Guys,

I have my Mavic Air now almost one year - and I feel that I have to adjust the compass now every time I am flying. (which is every two weeks more or less)

Idont understand, can anyone tell me if this is normal behaviour?
Further, what is the standard flight range for the Mavic Air.

I am using it with an iphone 6 - but will not get furhter than half a mile without getting signal disruptions.... what are your experiences and recommendations?

Thanks,
Mar
2019-9-13
Use props
Bydand
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4826 ft

Having to re-calibrate the compass every Two weeks doesn't seem that excessive. especially if the battery's have gone through a discharge and charge period. You should be getting further than the 0.5 mile flying distance as a range of  2.4miles but you have to take into factors such as where you are flying and possible interference.  
2019-9-13
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>

Yeah the Mavic Air is pretty bad for it's compass, usually happens when i get a gps lock, but that's not exactly definitive, it could be because of the drones design, i know all of the screws near the compass are non magnetic(wont be attracted by magnets) except 1(no idea why), but i doubt that is the reason why as you would get compass issues even during flight. I would be interested to know the exact reason myself, perhaps it's some built in thing to insure the compass is in a good state as much as possible ?

Range depends on your region, for example if you are in the UK the drone/app will detect your flying in the UK and limit your range to 500m, the exact range depends on your local drone laws.
FYI: Not that you would, but don't go opening your drone looking for that screw, you would void whatever warranty you have by opening the drone.
2019-9-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. It is normal that the DJI Mavic Air will ask to calibrate your compass specially if you change location. If the location has a magnetic interferance it is best to calibrate the compass. Should you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-9-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

The range of the Mavic Air in a CE compliant area such as UK airspace is 2,000m - to maximise the range ensure that you are flying in an area away from any interference and I found it best to manually select the WiFi channel to 13 for the best results. The legal horizontal distance in the UK is visual line of sight not exceeding 500m without permission from the CAA but in the right environment the MA can easily exceed that distance. The app will only restrict the distance if you set a max flight distance limit in the app. It is not auto geo fenced to 500m.
2019-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules