PolarPro Filters
4890 37 2015-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Anyone received their PolarPro P3 filter set yet?  Mine shows it was shipped on the 5th but nothing after that date.
2015-6-9
Use props
j.b.barlow.jb
lvl.2

United States

Got Yesterday tiny string is a lens wrench. Now that's thinking, lightweight, functional, and a bag for each lens.
2015-6-9
Use props
DeadWood
lvl.2

United States

No DJI Phantom 3 Filter 3-Pack still waiting. Pad for 2 to 3 day shipping extra.
2015-6-9
Use props
kudlaty
lvl.1

Poland

Mine is in shipping, estimated delivery at Thursday, 11/06.
2015-6-9
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Got my PP P3 three pack yesterday. Here are the comments I posted on another site:

Tested the ND8 and CP. The glass is sharp and clean. And I've not yet seen indications of color shift with the NDs. (Good neutral gray tone so it doesnt tint the image falsely to the warm or cool side.) The biggest disappointment is that the CP doesn't rotate independently after threaded on. I'm assuming you'll have to thread it on just enough and stop when the CP gets in the sweet spot and hope it doesn't vibrate from that spot? The gimbal doesn't seem to struggle with the extra 2 g of weight. But I do wish the aluminum was machined a little thinner like the stock UV filter as the PP filters are noticeably heavier when on the camera.

The overall build of the filters is "okay." The anodizing of the aluminum makes it difficult to fully align the threads and seat the filter. It almost feels like the threads are a slightly different ratio. I've tried all three. (Some have commented that a tiny bit of 3-in1 oil on the threads makes it easier. Will try that tonight.) Lastly you can see a little bit of glue seepage around the edges where the lens is seated in the filter ring. Kind of sloppy manufacturing in my humble opinion - but doesn't seem to interfere with the lens' field of view...so no biggie.

I only had time to do a couple of quick tests. But the bottom line is they are clean and sharp. I was able to get my shutter speed down to 60 or 50 so it not only eliminates any hint of jello but also gives a very cinematic, organic feel and movement. Overall....I'm happy.
2015-6-9
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-10 04:53
Got my PP P3 three pack yesterday. Here are the comments I posted on another site:

Tested the ND8 a ...

Thanks for the review fhagan!
2015-6-10
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Mine are still lost in limbo (post office)
2015-6-10
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

scott7161@gmail Posted at 2015-6-10 16:36
Thanks for the review fhagan!

You're welcome.

And an update....

I was a little over zealous in my first impressions. I simply can't get these to seat fully on the camera. Nothing works. I've repeatedly tried the 3in1 oil, wiping and cleaning. Still can't turn or tighten the filter on past about 1/4 of a full rotation and it gets "snug". (The stock UV filter takes at least 4 full 360º turns before it's fully seated.) Was advised my customer support to give it a good firm twist to break it in and after that it should be ok. I did that. Didn't work and it was a bear to get back off. Didn't want to risk ruining the threads on the camera so I left well enough alone. Feels like I'm cross-threading the filter to the camera. Lots of threads left on the camera so the balance is worse since the heavier PP filter is hanging out about 1/8 inch farther out than it should.

To be honest I could probably live with the ND’s because the do “get tight” I guess. BUT the biggest issue is the CP. As with any CP it has a sweet spot. I rotate the filter while looking through it at the sky until I see the change. Holding that position I mark the very top center of the filter with a pencil. Now I’ll know exactly how to place it on the camera, rotating until that mark is exactly dead center on top. Since I can’t rotate past a 1/4 full turn when the threads catch, the filter won't keep turning around to get to that optimal mark….rendering the CP useless I’m afraid.

Apparently this is an issue with 1 out of 25 in the production process so it's hit and miss. I've emailed customer support again. BTW... Their customer support has been fantastic. Never waited longer than 5-6 hours before I get a reply.
2015-6-10
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-10 22:27
You're welcome.

And an update....

I kinda suspected the CP would be of questionable value.  Orienting the filter to actually polarize would mean looking through the filter and then trying to replicate that position on the camera.  Then, even if you do get it correct any change of the camera/aircraft position in relation to sun will alter the polarization effect.   Another consideration is the wide angle lens and polarizer on blue sky.  That's rule #1 stuff in photography.  Uneven polarization is hard to correct in post.  
2015-6-10
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-10 23:02
I kinda suspected the CP would be of questionable value.  Orienting the filter to actually polariz ...

You are dead on with that assessment. I found a CP pretty much useless on my Phantom2/Hero 4 set up. The field of view is waaaaaaaay to wide. The lens could see and film beyond the bounds of what the CP's sweet spot was. And yes the actual position of the P3 in the sky will affect the CP's effect, but that goes with just about any CP I would think. If you're lucky enough to be filming in that perfect 90º position from the sun it could be quite a beautiful shot. (Perhaps the P3's 94º field of view being more narrow will help this) That said I really don't want or need the effect of CP for video. IMHO: Tends to oversaturate and exaggerate artifacts with the codec these small cameras bit-rate and sensor is limited to. (That was a mouth full) ND's are completely different story in my experience.  For the most part I don't shoot aerials without one. Unless we're talking shooting at dusk or dawn I have an ND4 or ND8 constantly attached.

Nice and flat with a decent amount of dynamic range.... then I'll have fun in post with grading and color.
2015-6-10
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-11 00:18
You are dead on with that assessment. I found a CP pretty much useless on my Phantom2/Hero 4 set up ...

I only see the CP being useful in a very limted fashion.  Perhaps a low altitude shot without any sky in the frame.   Definitely only with stills, like an elevated tripod.
2015-6-10
Use props
DeadWood
lvl.2

United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-10 21:57
Mine are still lost in limbo (post office)

They are still in Polar Pol shop.Not in the mail stream yet. They just made up a slip,but no PO pick up.
Told me the Post Office does not pick up on weekends.Which is BS!
2015-6-10
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

j.b.barlow.jb@g Posted at 2015-6-10 03:52
Got Yesterday tiny string is a lens wrench. Now that's thinking, lightweight, functional, and a bag  ...

Do yours install ok? Any issues threading them all the way on the camera?
2015-6-10
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Update:

Getting a replacement set sent out to me. Probably be a week. Letting me hang on to the original set until then incase I want to snug them on gently and do some filming with the NDs. (Great, watch one vibrate off while flying over a corn field. "No I swear....it just fell off so I can't return it..... so are you still sending another set?!...Hello... you there?.") Fingers crossed that my new threads won't cross.
2015-6-10
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

DeadWood Posted at 2015-6-11 02:25
They are still in Polar Pol shop.Not in the mail stream yet. They just made up a slip,but no PO pi ...

They told me they ran out of the first shipment and would get more tomorrow.  Still doesn't explain why they show shipped.  Its my first and last order with them anyway.  After reading fhagan02's issue sounds like they have some QC problems.
2015-6-10
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-11 04:16
Update:

Getting a replacement set sent out to me. Probably be a week. Letting me hang on to the ori ...

Did they charge for the replacements? Will be good to know if the threading on the next set is better, please do keep us updated, your info has been helpful so far
2015-6-10
Use props
DeadWood
lvl.2

United States

I am getting mixed answers, Jeff says they shipped on Monday because the PO doesn't pick up on Saturday, I know for a fact if they are open they will get picked up, even so someone named Dan tells me they ran out and they should ship soon, so I guess it's take your money and then just wait. Can not stand the BS
2015-6-10
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I received my set.  Here are my observations:

1. I will agree with others that the PolarPro filter rings are a bit heavier than the original DJI filter.  This does make the camera front heavy.  It will swing down when power is off.  I have not noticed any issue while in use.  The gimbal motors don't seem to be heating up.  You can tape a few coins to the back of the camera to balance it if you want.  I have been flying without balance weights and it seems OK so far.

2. I will agree that the machining of the threads is not quite right.  I am not sure if the tolerances are off... Or the thread pitch is off... Or the anodizing tolerance is off...  But none of my filters will screw on more than about 1 turn before the threads cease up.  I am concerned about cross threading the camera lens so I am not over tightening them too much.

3. I will agree that they work very well.  The 2 stop and 3 stop filters work well for reducing jello and do a good job of adding some nice motion blur.  As for the color hue shift...  Who cares?  I leave it on automatic color balance and the camera automatically compensates anyway.  The color looks fine.  The filters work as advertised and the quality seems OK.

I just wish PolarPro would shave a bit more aluminum off the filter rings to reduce weight and get the thread tolerances right so the filters would thread on fully without cross threading.
2015-6-10
Use props
gregl This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-10
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Oliver Posted at 2015-6-11 06:12
Did they charge for the replacements? Will be good to know if the threading on the next set is bet ...

No charge. This is considered to be "under warranty". So I'll get a set and have to send the first set back. Again I won't get them for a week or so as they are out and waiting on their next shipment from manufacturing.
2015-6-11
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-11 04:27
They told me they ran out of the first shipment and would get more tomorrow.  Still doesn't explai ...

I can understand your frustration, I honestly do. But I try to keep in mind that for every one of me there are likely 50 other folks that had no issues. Folks are more likely to post issues and problems vs "Everything works perfect." And regarding quantity and availability... they're brand new. Just like the P3 battery everyone is waiting on. It'll come... just a little more time.

Even though my 1st set didn't work out - Polar Pro has been fantastic, responsive, courteous and willing to try and quickly resolve the issue. They WANT me to be happy. But...s**t happens. So I think this is pretty acceptable as there are other companies who's "customer service" is pretty much like trying to carry two full buckets of gasoline through hell.... so to speak.
2015-6-11
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-6-11 07:32
I received my set.  Here are my observations:

1. I will agree with others that the PolarPro filter  ...

Ditto. This is a fair assessment IMHO.
2015-6-11
Use props
Tom Adamec
lvl.1

Czechia

How are you happy with Polar Pro filters after more days of using? First of all - no issues with gimbal?
2015-6-18
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3140876 ft
  • >>>
Greece

With regards to gimbal motor heat-up, I contacted Snake River Prototyping whose add-on filter adds around 7 grams unlike the Polar Pro ones, and asked the following:

"...you mention in your sales page that not all gimbals can support the weight of the filter and that they may need counterweighting.

Do you know if this applies to the Phantom 3 camera gimbal as well?

Is there any risk of overheating or otherwise straining the gimbal if I attach your filter to it?"

Their reply:

"There will be no problems.  The filters have been extensively tested on the Phantom 3's gimbal, so you're all good to go"

Now, I know that it's in their interest to say that but are we sure that a few extra grams really put destructive strain on the gimbal motors?

I am referring to the Polar, SRP or any other add-on filter solution where weight increases.
2015-6-18
Use props
Tom Adamec
lvl.1

Czechia

Thank you Groovy. Yes, it's in their interest :-)
2015-6-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

If you're worried about the weight (or even wanted to add more ND) I'm shipping this solution

From my website.

2015-6-22
Use props
robvelez
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks fhagan02 and others on the PolarPro filter review and information. As of June 23, PolarPro filters (3-pack) is backordered and new design to ship July 17th. I'm assuming based on your feedback with many others. I think I'll go ahead and place an order and hope the small issues noted earlier are resolved including the threads and weight.

2015-6-23
Use props
tincus
New

United States

Having the same problem here to. Tried to install the ND filter and it would only screw on maybe a 1/2 turn. It seemed wrong but was snug so I tested it out and the gimbal didnt like it. When flying left and right the camera seemed to be dragging and not staying faced straight. So I landed it and put the origional cover back on and the gimbal worked fine. Like others mentioned Im also afraid to try and crank it on and mess up the threads. Something has to be wrong with the thread pattern on the Polar Pro's. I contacted them a couple hours ago and will see what they say.
2015-6-24
Use props
rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 571690 ft
United Kingdom

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-23 15:49
If you're worried about the weight (or even wanted to add more ND) I'm shipping this solution

Meant to order the 4 pack but ordered the 3 lol no matter, I look forward to trying them in Scotland UK
2015-6-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Guy's,

I had the same problem with the threads on mine. What I did was take a q-tip and sprayed some WD-40 on it. I made sure it was damp not soaked by squeezing the excess out. Run the a-tip around the threads on both the filter and the camera. Stay away from the lens. Make sure there is no excess WD on it. Start to screw the filter on making sure the threads are lined up. When it gets a bit tight back it off a bit and then tighten it a little further. Keep doing this until it's on completely. It will take a bit more pressure than it should so take care in holding the camera body firmly. Once you've done this with each filter one time, they'll go on and off pretty easily and the stock DJI one will as well. All of mine including DJI's are going on and off with very little friction now. It worked well for me so I Just thought I'd share. Now would someone give me the lowdown on "CP"' I'm a real novice on this stuff.

Jerry
2015-6-24
Use props
tincus
New

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-6-25 13:59
Guy's,

I had the same problem with the threads on mine. What I did was take a q-tip and sprayed som ...

Thanks Jerry, I will give that a try tonight. Wondering if you added any counter weight to the camera to off set the added weight of the ND? I did that with my old P2/Gopro compo and it worked nice. I really hate to add any stress to the gimbal if I dont have to.
2015-6-25
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

tincus Posted at 2015-6-25 22:48
Thanks Jerry, I will give that a try tonight. Wondering if you added any counter weight to the cam ...

Tincus,

No, I didn't counterweight it and they do seem a bit heavy to me. I was a bit nervous about the weight but the gimbal seemed to handle it okay. I'm still concerned about long-term though. I bought a set of the ones that just go inside of the stock DJI UV filter just because of my concern. I haven't received them yet but if they work, I'll probably use those more often. I'm pretty new to the "professional" stuff like this so it's going to take me a while to learn and figure out how and when to use the damned things. I'm struggling enough with the file sizes of these 1080p 60 recordings and I'm just now trying to move from Windows Movie Maker to Adobe Premier. That ought to give you a hint about my level of "expertise"! If you've got any tips throw them my way.

Jerry
2015-6-25
Use props
pete
New

Germany

Same problem with the threads on mine. Will grab some WD-40 and give it a try. I do not want to sound unfair but for a price like this, it should work without reading through forums and try out things, always with the possibility to mess up. Will report back once tried.

Pete
2015-6-28
Use props
pete
New

Germany

WD-40 does not helped here. The problem is that the thread from the filter does not reach the position he needs to have to be able to get screwed. Looks like I need to contact customer support.
2015-6-28
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I just put my PolarPro 3 filter set up for sale on eBay.  Good chance to get a set for a bargain:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/151777614761?
2015-8-12
Use props
spencer_hamons
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292208 ft
United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-9 14:53

Tested the ND8 a ...

I just received my filters today, and threading the filter on was silky smooth. Perhaps they fixed the threading issue, as I have seen this comment numerous time, but they were all in the June / July 2015 timeframe.
2015-9-10
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.3
United States

"Got Yesterday tiny string is a lens wrench. Now that's thinking, lightweight, functional, and a bag for each lens"

umm.. dumb question I guess.  how do you use the strings?  I was wondering what they are for.  
2015-9-10
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.3
United States

j.b.barlow.jb@g Posted at 2015-6-9 14:52
Got Yesterday tiny string is a lens wrench. Now that's thinking, lightweight, functional, and a bag  ...

umm.. dumb question I guess.  how do you use the strings?  I was wondering what they are for.  
2015-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules