How does Battle mode hit tracking actually work?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft

One of the things that struck me at the event on Sunday is that the system keeps track of who's shots hit where. For example, if I was shooting at someone and scoring hits, there was an animation showing the number of points I was getting.

My question is, how does the system keep track? Does it monitor hit events and associate them with firing events? My best guess is that the IR system is still in use while using gel beads, and that firing actually triggers an IR burst that identifies the shooter. If this were the case, then tapping a hit detector would register some kind of hit, but without the missing IR packet, it would not really count.

Any thoughts?
2019-9-16
Use props
BGA
Second Officer

Based purely in Occam's Razor, I would guess it is simple matching of firing and hits. It already has built-in robot identification and it might be able to figure out the orientation of a robot and match the side the hit came from with that. But I guess anything is possible.
2019-9-16
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

Whoa!  We have more experimenting to do!  

So then, I fire a bead, it flies and hits a hit detector on Bob's S1 rear detector.  The detector is smart enough to read an IR pulse for "ID of Shooter" from that direction?

So, Bob's S1 reports through the router stream that "Ive been Hit by Mark" and then Bob's App gets notified of "damage" and takes hit points and Mark's app gets notified of scoring.

That is pretty intense computing, no wonder it all collapsed once!  

I have two S1's, but they are on the same DJI account so it's a bit weird getting them into Battle Mode.  Usually they both start of Red and hits are not even detected.  Restarting once or twice fixes this, then the 2nd 'bot is Blue, and hits are recorded normally.

Test:  Get two S1s into Gel Bead Battle Mode, facing each other, in proximity.  Tap some hit detectors all around and see what happens.  Rotate the models and repeat.

What if during a battle you take a stray shot or a ricochet?  (Highly unlikely as the beads tend to shatter on impact, but still possible).
2019-9-16
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft

And what happens if there are 3 players, 2 fire simultaneously but only one is aiming at the third. There has to be some way of identifying the one that is pointed.

Someone else in this group already decoded the IR signal, it is more than a simple pulse.

Yeah there is a lot going on!
2019-9-16
Use props
BGA
Second Officer

gpvillamil Posted at 9-16 16:24
And what happens if there are 3 players, 2 fire simultaneously but only one is aiming at the third. There has to be some way of identifying the one that is pointed.

Someone else in this group already decoded the IR signal, it is more than a simple pulse.

You have to remember this is not a device running in a critical environment where false positives would be an issue. I would bet that instead of over-engineering it, they just implemented the solution that will work most of the time without requiring a lot of work. 2 robots firing from the same direction at the same time is really an outlier.

I can not test the theory as I would need 3 robots for that (I "only" have 2).
2019-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules