Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Making the Smart controller work with airmaps
6908 33 2019-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rang655
lvl.1

I know that I can't get airmaps on the smart controller and I can get it on my android phone. The question is there a way to get a link between airmaps on my phone and the drone?
2019-9-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HI, thanks for the inquiry. You can download third-party apps through the built-in browser or install APK files from a microSD card. (DJI will not be liable for any permission or safety issues resulting from use of third-party apps. If an installed third-party app prevents you from enjoying optimal use of your controller, we suggest you remove the app or restore the controller to the original factory settings.) We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need with regard to this matter. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-17
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 850971 ft

DJI Tony Posted at 9-17 16:10
HI, thanks for the inquiry. You can download third-party apps through the built-in browser or install APK files from a microSD card. (DJI will not be liable for any permission or safety issues resulting from use of third-party apps. If an installed third-party app prevents you from enjoying optimal use of your controller, we suggest you remove the app or restore the controller to the original factory settings.) We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need with regard to this matter. Thank you for your support.

So how can Smart Controller users take advantage of the FAA LAANC system?
2019-9-17
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>

Why do you need to link airmap to your phone from the Smart Controller?  If it works on your phone, isn’t that fine?
2019-9-17
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>

MRomine Posted at 9-17 18:01
So how can Smart Controller users take advantage of the FAA LAANC system?

Just do it on your phone?  The Smart Controller probably isn’t going to have a data connection anyways unless you are tethering it to your phone.  If doing that, just use the Airmap app on your phone?
2019-9-17
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>

Also, I would suggest putting in a request directly to AirMaps to ask them to publish their app in the Amazon AppStore for Android so that it can be safely downloaded and installed on devices like the SC and CrystalSky.
2019-9-17
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4

KlooGee Posted at 9-17 20:03
Just do it on your phone?  The Smart Controller probably isn’t going to have a data connection anyways unless you are tethering it to your phone.  If doing that, just use the Airmap app on your phone?

Have you done that? Does it work?
2019-9-18
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>

MRomine Posted at 9-18 10:44
Have you done that? Does it work?

Have I used AirMaps on my phone?  Yes, definitely.  I do it like that all the time.  AirMaps doesn't need to be connected in any way to your DJI software or hardware So it doesn't matter where you conduct the LAANC request at.  It just matters that you get the LAANC request approved.
2019-9-18
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4

KlooGee Posted at 9-18 13:54
Have I used AirMaps on my phone?  Yes, definitely.  I do it like that all the time.  AirMaps doesn't need to be connected in any way to your DJI software or hardware So it doesn't matter where you conduct the LAANC request at.  It just matters that you get the LAANC request approved.

So the LAANC approval does not have to be loaded into either the Smart Controller or the drone? If not then how do you get passed the DJI GEO fencing for the location that you are requesting approval for?
2019-9-18
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>

MRomine Posted at 9-18 14:29
So the LAANC approval does not have to be loaded into either the Smart Controller or the drone? If not then how do you get passed the DJI GEO fencing for the location that you are requesting approval for?

DJI’s software knows nothing about LAANC right now.

DJI’S geofencing is completely separate and doesn’t even line up directly with the FAA’s controlled airspace.  Look for more details at https://www.dji.com/flysafe
2019-9-18
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4

KlooGee Posted at 9-18 19:10
DJI’s software knows nothing about LAANC right now.

DJI’S geofencing is comp,Evelyn separate and doesn’t even line up directly with the FAA’S controlled airspace.  Look for more details at https://www.dji.com/flysafe

That's what I thought so how does the Airmap LAANC approval work? Is it simply just an approval system? If so then of what value is it when the DJI Geofencing prohibits your flight? I guess I am missing something here.

Thanks
2019-9-19
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>

MRomine Posted at 9-19 13:56
That's what I thought so how does the Airmap LAANC approval work? Is it simply just an approval system? If so then of what value is it when the DJI Geofencing prohibits your flight? I guess I am missing something here.

Thanks

You have two completely different systems ran by 2 completely different organizations with different goals.  The FAA and DJI.

DJI has their GEO system that makes it a harder for someone that doesn't know better or doesn't care about the rules to get themselves into an unsafe situation that is going to put DJI in the headlines and cause regulators to legislate them out of their business.

The FAA is of course a government entity.  I'll leave it at that.

DJI has adopted some of the FAA's principles into their geo fencing solution (such as stadium and VIP TFR's), but otherwise has their own system.

The FAA's LAANC system is like asking your mom for approval to do something.  She can say yes or she can say no, but even if she says no or you don't ask her, you could go ahead and do it anyway.  But if she catches you after the fact, you might get a whooping.  

With DJI, their GEO system is like you being a toddler in a fenced in back yard.  Unless you know how to work the gate, you aren't going to the other side of that fence.

Some bad analogies, but I hope it sort of gets the idea across.
2019-9-20
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4

KlooGee Posted at 9-20 09:15
You have two completely different systems ran by 2 completely different organizations with different goals.  The FAA and DJI.

DJI has their GEO system that makes it a harder for someone that doesn't know better or doesn't care about the rules to get themselves into an unsafe situation that is going to put DJI in the headlines and cause regulators to legislate them out of their business.

Those are good analogies and thank you for writing such a nice reply. I actually understand what those two entities are. What I'm trying to understand is how do you get a LAANC approval to benefit a DJI drone pilot and SC user since AirMaps and other apps do not seem to work with a SC? How does an LAANC approval integrate with a DJI drone and system?
2019-9-20
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>

MRomine Posted at 9-20 11:43
Those are good analogies and thank you for writing such a nice reply. I actually understand what those two entities are. What I'm trying to understand is how do you get a LAANC approval to benefit a DJI drone pilot and SC user since AirMaps and other apps do not seem to work with a SC? How does an LAANC approval integrate with a DJI drone and system?

As I've tried to explain, there is absolutely no integration at all between the FAA's LAANC system and DJI's system (whether it is a SC or a regular RC).  Two completely separate and independent systems with absolutely no links together at all.
2019-9-21
Use props
rang655
lvl.1

MRomine Posted at 9-20 11:43

Thank you all for your replies. According to Air Maps it can unlock your drone so that you can fly. This is why I wanted to link it to the smart controller.  Yes, I could do the stuff to unlock it myself but it is a hassle and time consuming. LAANC is not available here yet, but will be glad when it is (one more less hassle).
2019-9-21
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4

KlooGee Posted at 9-21 06:15
As I've tried to explain, there is absolutely no integration at all between the FAA's LAANC system and DJI's system (whether it is a SC or a regular RC).  Two completely separate and independent systems with absolutely no links together at all.

Then what is the point of using Airmaps?
2019-9-22
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>

rang655 Posted at 9-21 06:37
Thank you all for your replies. According to Air Maps it can unlock your drone so that you can fly. This is why I wanted to link it to the smart controller.  Yes, I could do the stuff to unlock it myself but it is a hassle and time consuming. LAANC is not available here yet, but will be glad when it is (one more less hassle).

I don't know of a single person that uses AirMaps to actually fly your drone.  I would never recommend you use it that way.  It is fine for looking up air space to help decide where you can legally fly and for gaining authorization to fly in certain controlled airspaces via LAANC.  But I would never use AirMap to actually try to fly my drone.
2019-9-23
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>

MRomine Posted at 9-22 18:51
Then what is the point of using Airmaps?

To look up whether where you want to fly is FAA controlled airspace or not and whether you can legally fly in a specific location.  It is also useful for gaining authorization to fly in certain controlled airspaces via LAANC authorization.

Airmaps can be used no matter what brand of drone you are using whether it is a DJI brand or some other brand.  
2019-9-23
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4

KlooGee Posted at 9-23 05:31
To look up whether where you want to fly is FAA controlled airspace or not and whether you can legally fly in a specific location.  It is also useful for gaining authorization to fly in certain controlled airspaces via LAANC authorization.

Airmaps can be used no matter what brand of drone you are using whether it is a DJI brand or some other brand.

So Airmaps tasing with LAANC can get you an approval as a Part 107 pilot but you still have to contact DJI (if you are flying one of their machines) to get the GEO fencing unlocked for the approval that you just received from LAANC and your local airport?

Does DJI recognize/accept approvals granted by LAANC?
2019-9-24
Use props
capthook
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238871 ft
United States

Unlocking a no-fly zone with the SC is a little confusing at first, but DOES interact with LAANC.
The other day I was in a 400' AGL approval unlock zone.
Drone and SC said 'cannot take off'
I use the KittyHawk app on my phone.
Made a Part 107 LAANC request.
Got approval in 10 seconds.
Had my phone setup as a hotspot and the SC connected to that.
A few clicks in the SC - where to click is a bit confusing the first few times ('Import unlocking license')
And the Drone/SC was unlocked to fly.
2019-10-17
Use props
Village Video
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23301 ft
United States

Can you explain the steps you made to unlock  (the confusing part)
2019-12-13
Use props
LMuliolis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2087779 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2019-9-23 05:31

I think you're missing the point that this person has a DJI Smart Controller, which makes a cell phone unnecessary for flying a drone.   All my unlocks so far have been facilitated by DJI (flysafe@dji.com) where I sent them my various wide area authorizations for a few local airports that don't use LAANC yet, and they send an unlock to my controller.   Tomorrow I am planning a flight by a LAANC enabled airport and not sure how to get a LAANC authorization without installing a third party app on my controller.    So far I have found a few threads here where the DJI support people in the thread respond that they are not liable for third party apps on the controller, but offer no other alternatives?
2020-8-18
Use props
LMuliolis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2087779 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2019-9-18 13:54
Have I used AirMaps on my phone?  Yes, definitely.  I do it like that all the time.  AirMaps doesn't need to be connected in any way to your DJI software or hardware So it doesn't matter where you conduct the LAANC request at.  It just matters that you get the LAANC request approved.

"Have I used AirMaps on my phone?  Yes, definitely.  I do it like that all the time.  AirMaps doesn't need to be connected in any way to your DJI software or hardware So it doesn't matter where you conduct the LAANC request at.  It just matters that you get the LAANC request approved."

Except when you actually need an unlock to take off and your phone is not connected to your smart controller.  I've had trouble taking off in a 300 block on a grid until DJI unlocked my Smart Controller via flysafe@dji.com process.
2020-8-18
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LMuliolis Posted at 8-18 04:13
I think you're missing the point that this person has a DJI Smart Controller, which makes a cell phone unnecessary for flying a drone.   All my unlocks so far have been facilitated by DJI () where I sent them my various wide area authorizations for a few local airports that don't use LAANC yet, and they send an unlock to my controller.   Tomorrow I am planning a flight by a LAANC enabled airport and not sure how to get a LAANC authorization without installing a third party app on my controller.    So far I have found a few threads here where the DJI support people in the thread respond that they are not liable for third party apps on the controller, but offer no other alternatives?

No, I'm not missing any point at all.  I have a Smart Controller as well.  I use the Smart Controller for flying all of the time, including in locations where I get LAANC authorizations and in locations I have wide area COAs.

There is absolutely no integration between LAANC and DJI's software.  So there is no need to have a LAANC enabled app (like AirMap/Kittyhawk/Skyward/etc) on the Smart Controller to be able to unlock their FlySafe geo fencing software.

If you are trying to fly in one of DJI's red restricted zones, you will need to do a custom unlock via the DJI website and provide DJI with proof that you have FAA authorization to fly in that area.  That proof can be in the form of a LAANC authorization or a sending them your COA.  But you are doing that either via their website or via sending an email to them via flysafe@dji.com email.  None of that needs to be done directly on the Smart Controller.  Once DJI approves the unlock for the zone, you will need to sync that unlock license to your drone via an internet connection.  However, again, that doesn't require any sort of additional software (like AirMap/Kittyhawk/etc) to actually be installed on the Smart Controller.  
2020-8-22
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LMuliolis Posted at 8-18 04:18
"Have I used AirMaps on my phone?  Yes, definitely.  I do it like that all the time.  AirMaps doesn't need to be connected in any way to your DJI software or hardware So it doesn't matter where you conduct the LAANC request at.  It just matters that you get the LAANC request approved."

Except when you actually need an unlock to take off and your phone is not connected to your smart controller.  I've had trouble taking off in a 300 block on a grid until DJI unlocked my Smart Controller via  process.

Yes, you were doing the unlock via DJI's FlySafe process, but that has absolutely nothing to do with a LAANC enabled app being installed on the Smart Controller.  
2020-8-22
Use props
djiuser_wEJE1t8RuGB7
lvl.1

United States

KlooGee Posted at 2019-9-23 05:28
I don't know of a single person that uses AirMaps to actually fly your drone.  I would never recommend you use it that way.  It is fine for looking up air space to help decide where you can legally fly and for gaining authorization to fly in certain controlled airspaces via LAANC.  But I would never use AirMap to actually try to fly my drone.

Hello! I know this forum is old but I just recently received my part 107 and need help. I have a mavic 2 pro with the smart controller. I request airspace thru aloft and get approved. My problem is that I my drone & SC dont know that ive been authorized and i still get the pop up of not being authorized to fly. Please help me out! You seem very knowledgeable about this topic. I really appreciate it
2021-9-15
Use props
Shusta
New

United States

KlooGee Posted at 2019-9-18 13:54

Would the best fix for this be to use a cell phone and controller? I love my SC but I'm looking to do work this year in controlled space. From what I'm seeing the easiest way around this is a standard controller.  I have a regular controller (second hand) but never used it.
2022-1-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Shusta Posted at 1-28 06:19
Would the best fix for this be to use a cell phone and controller? I love my SC but I'm looking to do work this year in controlled space. From what I'm seeing the easiest way around this is a standard controller.  I have a regular controller (second hand) but never used it.

I installed Aloft on my RC Pro.
2022-1-28
Use props
Shusta
New

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-28 06:33
I installed Aloft on my RC Pro.

I have the original Smart Controller that came with the Mavic 2. I don't own the newer one as you do.
2022-1-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Shusta Posted at 1-28 08:44
I have the original Smart Controller that came with the Mavic 2. I don't own the newer one as you do.

Try the same method. Google Aloft apk. Download it from apkpure website. Then install it.
2022-1-28
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-28 12:20
Try the same method. Google Aloft apk. Download it from apkpure website. Then install it.

There is absolutely no need for Aloft on the RC Pro or Smart Controller.  Just get your FAA authorization on your phone or tablet.
2022-1-31
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-31 08:13
There is absolutely no need for Aloft on the RC Pro or Smart Controller.  Just get your FAA authorization on your phone or tablet.

What if I want to use my RC Pro? After all, it's already in my hand. Very convenient.
2022-1-31
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Shusta Posted at 1-28 06:19

I don't currently have the RC Pro for the Mavic 3, but I've been using the Smart Controller with the Mavic 2 Pro, Air 2S, and Mini 2 for as long as all of those devices have existed.  I personally choose to use the Smart Controller as the Remote Controller for flying and absolutely do NOT use it for anything else.  

I do all of my authorizations for my business at least the night before I go onsite and many times days or weeks ahead.  In my opinion, it would be irresponsible as a business person to wait until the last minute to get my authorizations and unlocks after traveling to the site.  It would make me very nervous to do this last minute on site.  As the saying goes, "Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance".

Before I submit a contract for a customer to sign, I do my research on the location to determine if I need to get authorizations from the FAA and/or unlocks for my DJI drones.  I then use this information to help determine my pricing and language in my contracts.

Once the customer has signed the contract, then I will apply for any necessary FAA authorizations via either Aloft (on my phone or tablet) or the FAA Drone Zone website(depending on the actual airspace and job requirments) as well as any DJI unlocks via their FlySafe website (https://fly-safe.dji.com/unlock).

Then either the night before going out or the morning of the job, before I leave my office, I do all of my pre-checks to ensure all of my equipment is in proper shape to do the jobs for the day.  This includes making sure all my batteries are fully charged, physically check the props and all hardware, and ensure all drones I'm using for the day boot up normally, don't get any errors, and have settings set to the most likely settings for the first job that drone will be used for.  I also double check to ensure that all unlock codes that have been previously submitted are downloaded to the drone and are ready for use.

By following this proper preparedness routine, I'm much less likely to get onsite and be surprised by something not working appropriately.  And as you can see, with this workflow, I only use my controllers to fly the drone.  Nothing else!
2022-1-31
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-31 08:17
What if I want to use my RC Pro? After all, it's already in my hand. Very convenient.

You do whatever workflow works for you.  I personally choose to use the controller as a controller and nothing else.  I would personally never wait to do my authorizations and unlocks until I'm on site with the controller in hand.  Seems like a recipe for more things to go wrong.  See post #36 for my workflow.  But again, do whatever works for you.  For me, I don't want my controller buggered up with all kinds of apps.  I want it to fly and only fly.  I want to be prepared before I waste my time and fuel traveling to the job site.  
2022-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules