Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI SAYS CRASH DUE TO BATTERY MISINSTALLATION: NOT BUYING IT
1791 27 2019-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325725 ft
  • >>>

So, as I reported on a previous thread, my Mavik 2 fell out of the sky into a Maine bay for no apparent reason.  I sent the flight record data to DJI, but I could never convert the DAT files into something that I could read for myself, so I had to rely on their analysis.  Their response was that a "battery iminstallation error" occured early in the flight, and this was the reason for the crash.  Here's why I'm not buying it:
1.  You have to work at it to install the battery improperly.  I tried several times on my earlier Mavik to improperly seat the battery, and each time I either got an immediate battery warning or the aircraft failed to connect or the engines didn't start. I have been flying the Mavik 2 and an earlier version for over two years and have never had a problem.
2.  If a "battery misinstallation error" appeared on my screen, I never saw it.  Wouldn't a warning  like this stay on continuously?
3.   The drone flew for almost 3 more minutes after the warning before it crashed.
4.  I know that battery swelling has been a problem, but I did not notice any at all on the accident flight, and I flew with the battery several times the day before.  Plus the weather was cool and the flight lasted only about 3 1/2 minutes.  I don't know when the battery was manufactured.

Bottom line:  I'm out of ideas and minus an expensive drone without an adequate explanation.  Very frustrating, but I guess it's time to move on.  At least I still have my older Mavik to fill the void, but the Mavik 2 spoils you.

2019-9-17
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>

Upload your log to the following site and then post the resulting URL here and I’m sure you’ll have many offers to have a look into it.  

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-9-17
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

The idea is to stop using it when you have problems.  Not continue using it then complain something went completely wrong.  It's only bad if everything was good prior to flight.

I know in life you gotta do what you gotta do and if something goes wrong f* it but this situation is optional.

2019-9-17
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

AntDX316 Posted at 9-17 20:15
The idea is to stop using it when you have problems.  Not continue using it then complain something went completely wrong.  It's only bad if everything was good prior to flight.

I know in life you gotta do what you gotta do and if something goes wrong f* it but this situation is optional.

He says if a warning did come up, he didnt see it.   So no indication something was wrong.
2019-9-17
Use props
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 9-17 21:12
He says if a warning did come up, he didnt see it.   So no indication something was wrong.

Thanks, gnirts, that is absolutely correct.  Obviously, had I seen the warning I would have returned it home immediately.  I guess a follow-on question is - wouldn't a warning as serious as this be displayed continuously?  Has anybody else gotten this warning in flight that can shed light on this?  Thanks.
2019-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

I wouldn’t give up on this just yet, this is very much your word against theirs and who’s to say who is correct here.

1/ they should be clearly able to show you in a log that battery was loose .
2/ if a warning was displayed it will also show up on flight log

This is a clear attempt to fob you off, don’t accept until you have had a second opinion and one that clearly shows a report from your flight log as to what happened .

Just this week we have seen FW introduced and part of this FW was to introduce a warning to inform battery is not seated correctly and craft will not take off, is this a direct result of continuing problems with batteries not being able to be seated correctly or what .

Don’t give up, Don’t accept their first answer and don’t accept any answer without full report from your flight log .

Good Luck .
2019-9-18
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>

I’ve had this happen one time with mavic pro 2 and there is a warning on the main screen but no beeping noise. I landed safely, one side of the battery was up slightly, you would think there would be some kind of audible sound with a critical issue like that....
2019-9-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, Sorry to read and knew about your frustrations and troubles you've had with your case. We'll forward and seek the attention of the designated team for further assistance.  Someone will send you an email with the Final Investigations. Please wait patiently. Appreciate your support and understanding.

2019-9-18
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

Do you want someone outside DJI to look at the data from the flight? If so, then you should upload the TXT file to PhantomHelp as KlooGee suggested here and as others suggested in the two previous threads you created about this incident. However, if this was caused by a battery problem, the only really useful file will be the DAT file that you've apparently already sent to DJI. Since you already have it, all you need to is upload it to something like http://tinyupload.com/ and provide a link here for others to see it, at least if you want us to be able to see for ourselves what happened.
2019-9-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

fansb05bb589 Posted at 9-18 06:41
Thanks, gnirts, that is absolutely correct.  Obviously, had I seen the warning I would have returned it home immediately.  I guess a follow-on question is - wouldn't a warning as serious as this be displayed continuously?  Has anybody else gotten this warning in flight that can shed light on this?  Thanks.

Maybe your battery was swollen then it swolled up while in flight and popped off.  What charger are you using?

If it was a DJI authentic charger I assume the outlet delivery might be sending out incorrect power but I'm not an electrical engineer, just a guess.  From what I've seen, not everything is built to direct standard.  It depends who is putting it together.  If they check it off as standard, no one would know until you actually check it.  Usually, and only after problems or major problems occur.

The other issue could be the DJI authentic charger is defective.  The other issue is the battery.  It could be everything.  Without being able to pinpoint what is truly wrong, it sucks.  Maybe the battery was dropped and became damaged.  Maybe it got lasered out of the sky for government experimental practices.
2019-9-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer

Drone flying on for 3-minutes after getting a "battery iminstallation error" does not sound right.  

Was there any indication of battery voltage varying wildly?

I don't have a Mavic 2 to look at battery connections, but Mavic Pro uses multiple connections for + side and - side of stacked batteries.   I would imagine Mavic 2 batteries have same design for reliability and to be able to supply required current to drone.  Point being, battery would have to be really loose to lose power to drone.
2019-9-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 9-18 20:30
Drone flying on for 3-minutes after getting a "battery iminstallation error" does not sound right.  

Was there any indication of battery voltage varying wildly?

he didn't get any warnings at all he mentioned, basically saying he was flying just fine for 3 minutes prior to his dropped taking a dunk all of the sudden.

now that dji has released .510 update it maybe a bit of an uphill battle for this OP because DJI may blame shift back to pilot because of this update released would have prevented this.. a functionality of this update should have been included day 1 in my opinion, to alert pilots of improperly seated battery.   but alas DJI isnt very good with this end of Customer support so hopefully this OP can get passed the lower level can get them to prove pilot neglogence which will be hard if the OP is right probably impossible since it appars to have happened during flight (as mentioned "early into flight") and i dont know about you or anyone's abilities here but, i find that exceptionally difficult to improperly install my batteries once airborne and hovering out over open water and well after take off, i assume 1-3 minutes beyond based on what OP says and DJI suppot says?

as a side note, battery is very difficult to improperly install i tried myself out of boredom and for most part if line it up right it clicks in place perfectly on its own almost from the weight.  you have to have a bloated battery or badly made casing to have issues.  and i have tested when i first got my mavic 2 if get the same error and i used paper shims and couldnt get battery impropler seated/installed errors...
2019-9-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer

HereForTheBeer Posted at 9-18 21:58
he didn't get any warnings at all he mentioned, basically saying he was flying just fine for 3 minutes prior to his dropped taking a dunk all of the sudden.

now that dji has released .510 update it maybe a bit of an uphill battle for this OP because DJI may blame shift back to pilot because of this update released would have prevented this.. a functionality of this update should have been included day 1 in my opinion, to alert pilots of improperly seated battery.   but alas DJI isnt very good with this end of Customer support so hopefully this OP can get passed the lower level can get them to prove pilot neglogence which will be hard if the OP is right probably impossible since it appars to have happened during flight (as mentioned "early into flight") and i dont know about you or anyone's abilities here but, i find that exceptionally difficult to improperly install my batteries once airborne and hovering out over open water and well after take off, i assume 1-3 minutes beyond based on what OP says and DJI suppot says?

I will have to dig out three batteries for my (dinosaur) MPp, and test each one for ease of clamping.  To me they have always  taken some force to click and lock in.  Even though, none of batteries are warped.

Maybe we should start Duck-taping our batteries in place, just in case?  
2019-9-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 9-19 15:52
I will have to dig out three batteries for my (dinosaur) MPp, and test each one for ease of clamping.  To me they have always  taken some force to click and lock in.  Even though, none of batteries are warped.

Maybe we should start Duck-taping our batteries in place, just in case?

mavic 2 batteries for me install themselves basically..very easy even snaps itself in.  but maybe that's just my unit after all mine is refurbished and late august/early sept 2019 re-build run unit.

my mavic 1 pro wasn't much of a fuss but did have to press it in to snap it, it didn't just do itself like my mavic 2 does.   
2019-9-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

The team has explained again via email of what happened, the warning prompted in the APP at flight time of 10s when you took off. The battery still provided power but the APP has warned the battery was not installed properly, it would be danagerous if you keep flying. Customers should return to home and double check the battery installation.
This doesn't mean the battery is swollen, sorry that it remains non-warranty, the team has provided the final offer, hope you can consider it.
2019-9-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

HereForTheBeer Posted at 9-18 21:58

now that dji has released .510 update it maybe a bit of an uphill battle for this OP because DJI may blame shift back to pilot because of this update released would have prevented this.. a functionality of this update should have been included day 1 in my opinion, to alert pilots of improperly seated battery.   but alas DJI isnt very good with this end of Customer support so hopefully this OP can get passed the lower level can get them to prove pilot neglogence which will be hard if the OP is right probably impossible since it appars to have happened during flight (as mentioned "early into flight") and i dont know about you or anyone's abilities here but, i find that exceptionally difficult to improperly install my batteries once airborne and hovering out over open water and well after take off, i assume 1-3 minutes beyond based on what OP says and DJI suppot says?

Technically, what he said was that he didn't SEE any warnings ("If a 'battery misinstallation error' appeared on my screen, I never saw it"). The log from the flight might be helpful in figuring out whether such a message occurred, but it hasn't been provided to us. Based on Diana's comments above, though, it apparently was sent to DJI and they believe that it was displayed but ignored or overlooked. Unless the OP wants to share his log with us -- and he has been asked for it in each of the three threads he created about this -- it's case closed.
2019-9-20
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>

A misinstallation warning would have looked like this. I mentioned it almost a year ago:
Flying without battery!

It's some major idiotic programming to be able to detect misinstallation but allow to fly.
DJI has learned as the latest firmware update shows, see below. Quite late I think.
Maybe they didn't see my post till recently

2019-9-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

Eric13 Posted at 9-20 12:09
A misinstallation warning would have looked like this. I mentioned it almost a year ago:
Flying without battery!

It appears that the condition is only detected sporadically, which means that it's possible to take off and only encounter the error once airborne. I suppose DJI could initiate a forced landing as soon as the condition is detected, but that would likely lead to complaints about lost drones from people would have preferred that they be able to continue flying normally even after the condition is detected in order to easily reach a suitable location (e.g., not over water).
2019-9-20
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>

Gimpy Posted at 9-20 12:32
It appears that the condition is only detected sporadically, which means that it's possible to take off and only encounter the error once airborne. I suppose DJI could initiate a forced landing as soon as the condition is detected, but that would likely lead to complaints about lost drones from people would have preferred that they be able to continue flying normally even after the condition is detected in order to easily reach a suitable location (e.g., not over water).

See my post from last year:
I got that warning on the ground after starting the motors. And I did reproduce this scenario a couple of times.
Just as I produced the scenario today on ground in my living room to get the screen shot after the latest firmware update.

It's actually quite easy to miss the proper last click while inserting the battery. While being in the rush or whatever.
Oh no - I shouldn't have said this. Another sh*tstorm is possibly coming up from all the MASTERS and PROS about pre-flight checks.

2019-9-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

Eric13 Posted at 9-20 12:43
See my post from last year:
I got that warning on the ground after starting the motors. And I did reproduce this scenario a couple of times.
Just as I produced the scenario today on ground in my living room to get the screen shot after the latest firmware update.

I understood that you got it on the ground, though I'm not sure what that has to do with my post. I was mainly referring to your comment that, "It's some major idiotic programming to be able to detect misinstallation but allow to fly." In other words, if the condition isn't detected prior to takeoff, then there is no reason it would or could prohibit the flight. In fact, in the thread you referred to, you said yourself that you only got the warning after starting the motors, which suggests that the condition probably wasn't detected until after the motors' vibration jostled the battery. My point is that it's kind of difficult for DJI's software to prohibit flight based on a condition that it doesn't yet know exists.
2019-9-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer

Gimpy Posted at 9-20 12:49
I understood that you got it on the ground, though I'm not sure what that has to do with my post. I was mainly referring to your comment that, "It's some major idiotic programming to be able to detect misinstallation but allow to fly." In other words, if the condition isn't detected prior to takeoff, then there is no reason it would or could prohibit the flight. In fact, in the thread you referred to, you said yourself that you only got the warning after starting the motors, which suggests that the condition probably wasn't detected until after the motors' vibration jostled the battery. My point is that it's kind of difficult for DJI's software to prohibit flight based on a condition that it doesn't yet know exists.

"which suggests that the condition probably wasn't detected until after the motors' vibration jostled the battery."

That is possible.  

Also possible condition is detected by higher than normal voltage drop between battery power connections and drone power connections as result of loose (poor) connections.  

Drone only powered up - little load - nearly normal voltage.
Drone motors spinning at idle - light load - voltage drops slightly more than normal.
Drone motors spinning in flight - moderate load - voltage drops far more than normal.

2019-9-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 9-19 19:40
mavic 2 batteries for me install themselves basically..very easy even snaps itself in.  but maybe that's just my unit after all mine is refurbished and late august/early sept 2019 re-build run unit.

my mavic 1 pro wasn't much of a fuss but did have to press it in to snap it, it didn't just do itself like my mavic 2 does.

If you do it soft such as installing the battery on top of an empty bag or pillow, it won't lock in as good.  It just takes one time.
2019-9-21
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 9-20 22:00
"which suggests that the condition probably wasn't detected until after the motors' vibration jostled the battery."

That is possible.  

That's a very good point: what you described could also explain why the warning appears at some times and not others.
2019-9-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

looking in the battery compartment on my mavic 2 pro i do not see how it can physically detect.  mavic air has lightly spring loaded sliders where battery pushed against.  the mavic 2 seems to lack anything physically moving or pressing as part of the detection.  this means in all likelihood what they're doing is based on battery contacts, notice a 4 shallow pins, this is where i'm guessing it will detect badly installed battery, shallow pins will disconnect first or will have increased resistance when barely connected and it can read that resistance increase and trigger the warning,

2019-9-21
Use props
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
  • >>>

I'm the OP that's been blown off by DJI - they will believe nothing except I ignored the battery warning and continued flying so the crash is my fault.  I would love to have someone else look at my flight logs which I think I have finally located, but forgive me, I'm feeling pretty stupid here - how do I create a link to the documents folder where the logs/records are located?
2019-9-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer

fansb05bb589 Posted at 9-22 18:48
I'm the OP that's been blown off by DJI - they will believe nothing except I ignored the battery warning and continued flying so the crash is my fault.  I would love to have someone else look at my flight logs which I think I have finally located, but forgive me, I'm feeling pretty stupid here - how do I create a link to the documents folder where the logs/records are located?

You don't create a link.  You upload log file using the following web page: "https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/"

After file is analyzed, you post back a Link the web page will provide.
2019-9-22
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

We told u upload the file so the great minds here can look into it for you
2019-9-22
Use props
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
  • >>>

Thanks to everyone for their patience.  I was finally able to get the link via a new windows 10 computer.  So here it is.  Go the battery warning early on but never saw it and it never reappeared.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/O564KYEQJG0UJOYG4DN8
2019-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules