Swelling battery
22467 63 2019-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. However, it's glad that you've managed to coordinate this situation to our designated department. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for your support.
2019-9-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to see that - it's part of the process - cracking tends to begin after the swelling
2019-9-26
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft

Very bad  ,  more and more I am reading similar posts, only action taken so far GO4 .24 version add an option to control the discharge time for  not used battery for a period of time. On the other hand I would immediately recycle even  if a tiny swelling is in evidence. More than loosing a drone it may cause serious fire injury or property damage.
2019-9-26
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft

HyLenz Posted at 9-24 05:26
Update: Battery Details. Batteries included with Fly More Combo in August 2018. Always charged on DJI 4 port charger included with FMC.

Battery #1 Swollen = 21 Charge Cycles, Production Date: 2018.7, Status: Normal

Update 2: DJI support reply today. I must say they have been very responsive so far.

"Kindly send us a video including the serial number of the battery and kindly put the battery tab facing down on the table and then press the four corners of the battery to see if the battery is shaking."

I uploaded this video showing the problem.

2019-9-30
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>

DJI has replaced 3 of my Mavic 2 Pro 11 month old batteries for minor swelling.
Also, my mate had 3 of his 6 month old ones replaced
All free of charge under warranty or goodwill.

Good luck
2019-9-30
Use props
Balaes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14241171 ft
  • >>>

I have some questions for those who have problems with batteries :
do you use the original charger? or another aftermarket ?
up to what percentage do you discharge the batteries in flight ?
most of the time do you keep the batteries charged or discharged ?
I ask these questions to see how is my batteries, batteries that I have no problems yet ...
Thanks.
2019-9-30
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft

HyLenz Posted at 9-24 05:26
Update: Battery Details. Batteries included with Fly More Combo in August 2018. Always charged on DJI 4 port charger included with FMC.

Battery #1 Swollen = 21 Charge Cycles, Production Date: 2018.7, Status: Normal

UPDATE: Just got word - DJI says they will replace all 3 of my batteries at no cost. Had to answer a few questions and send them a video of the swollen batteries, but it looks like they are going to make it right. Thanks DJI!
2019-10-15
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dear James,  Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.  We appreciate your time and effort in bringing this inquiry. We will be happy to help you.  
Regarding your concern, upon checking on the information of your three batteries on our system, we found out that they are all out of the warranty period.
Base on our After-Sales Policy, we only have a 6 months warranty for battery.  
We strongly suggest purchasing and new batteries on our online store or at any local seller near you.

DJI's Response to Bloating Batteries with under 30 charges on them.
2019-10-18
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was told by DJI " we only warranty them for 6 months "  We suggest you Buy new Batteries.
Mine came with the FLY MORE Kit and were Manufactured in JULY of 2018.

" Dear James,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We appreciate your time and effort in bringing this inquiry. We will be happy to help you.

Regarding your concern, upon checking on the information of your three batteries on our system, we found out that they are all out of the warranty period. Base on our After-Sales Policy, we only have a 6months warranty for battery.

We strongly suggest purchasing and new batteries on our online store or at any local seller near you."

2019-10-18
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Seems like Mavic 2 PRO is not the only a bad product but also its batteries swelling around in time !!
2019-10-19
Use props
transit 350
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169137 ft
  • >>>
United States

how far down do you fly your batteries ?
2019-10-20
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear about this. DJI 6-month should consider the number of cycles instead of a fixed time period. I've read many posts that the swollen batteries had very low charging cycles on them.
2019-10-20
Use props
fans9c544e01
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1187005 ft
United States

Dthawk Posted at 9-19 07:47
No. All my other 4 batteries are fine and not swollen.  Only 1 of my batteries have this issue.  I do live in Texas and fly sometimes in very hot conditions.  Maybe the summer conditions are attributing to the issue.

I bought my Mavic Pro 2 past August. I love the drone. However, I was a newbie to this area of operating drones. So one thing I did not understand was HEAT is the death of these batteries. I live in Dallas, Texas. So the temperatures here are high. I probably ruined 2 or 3 batteries during the first 3 months of operating my drone. It was user error because I did not know or educated myself about the battery care. So now, if it is the summer, I carry a portable cooler with me if it is hot out. After I fly the drone and land it, I take the battery and I place it in a water proof container and I sit if in the cooler filled with ice. So after 15 or 20 min, I than will put the battery on the smarttree charger and let it charge. Since I been doing this, no more batteries damaged. Before, after I flew, I would try to charge the battery right away. Doing that in the Dallas heat and the battery being hot, I caused the demise of the battery. Since watching youtube videos on  care of the batteries, my way of cooling before recharging in the "heat" saved the battery. In the dallas winters being that it is much cooler, I don't put them in the coolers. I just set aside the battery until I am done with the second flight and than put the battery in the charger since it had time to cool from the cooler air temps. I hope this helps you.  
2019-12-11
Use props
splinetime
lvl.1
United States

I have the Phantom 4 Pro and recently had this happen as well. I've followed best practices. I do cinematography and have used a wide variety and number of LiOn's and never had this issue. (some died because of purposeful abuse ie: shooting in the desert) Could a firmware update cause some kind of load condition issue? Either telemetry sensing or or operational misfires. Do these drones use PWM for moter control and maybe the duty cycle got caty-wampus?
2020-6-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Ive got 4 like that
2020-7-1
Use props
ANON-1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 432484 ft
  • >>>
United States

This must be a problem in Texas. I'm just north of you and three of my combo batteries got swollen at the same time.  Is there a DJI recall on these.
2020-7-10
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wondering if this is why the new firmware sets a default battery discharge at 2 days.
2020-7-10
Use props
kykmavic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

DJI Gamora Posted at 2019-9-18 08:58
We are deeply sorry to know that one of your batteries got swollen and we also do not recommend using this for later flights.  The lifespan and condition of the battery depending on the totality of how it was used and all. Please contact a professional battery disposal/recycling agent for further assistance. Hoping for your understanding that every electronic product has a certain warranty period.  For reference, I will attach a link below for some battery info and guidelines. We appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you.

https://store.dji.com/guides/battery-care-important-think/

"...Hoping for your understanding that every electronic product has a certain warranty period. ..."

This means that if you buy a TV with cost of 2000$ and has 1 year warranty, then after this warranty period it is normal that the TV can fail and become rubbish!

On the other hand, it is expected that after the warranty period, a good product will continue to function at its best possible performance!
2020-7-11
Use props
ChadC880
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3216076 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed the other day all 3 of my batteries to my Mavic 2 Pro were difficult to seat firmly to the unit. I then noticed the swelling on all 3 batteries. 56, 60, 60 charges. Each battery was meticulously taken care of. And FYI DJI do not respond to my posting with your bogus electronic crap post. Y'll manufactured some defective batteries. And you need to be held accountable for your fault. This is simply ridiculous.
2020-8-21
Use props
ChadC880
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3216076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks DJI!!!
2020-8-21
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ive got 6 batteries with those cracks.
The one is so tight you cant physially push in the power button to turn it off.
2020-8-21
Use props
Alex1976
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

It is not sure to fly with these battery. You are made the right choice to not fly with its
2020-8-22
Use props
bikoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

all my 3 batteries is gone already , i had to buy another 3, please let us know if they access your case because i tried with them but they didn't accept my case
2020-8-23
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

They replaced three of mine which were swelling (all from 2018), good luck with your return.
2020-8-23
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

3 of my 7 like that.  Roughly 30 cycles.
2020-8-24
Use props
roamer105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3156145 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got one battery just like you that is swollen beyond (safe) use. It too had been manufactured around the same time as yours. I think the more recent ones are better. I purchased 4 more batteries 2 of them very recently and they all seem to do fine.
2020-8-24
Use props
fans74012bd4
lvl.2

United States

I have 3 swollen batteries.  DJI will not do anything to fix this issue.  They do not care.  Someone will be hurt or killed before they are held accountable for their sub standard parts.  I have jobs coming up and am forced to buy more batteries in order to do them, which pretty much wipes out any margin.  DJI screwed us all.  I will never buy another DJI drone if they cannot stand by their products.
2020-9-5
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289429 ft
  • >>>
Poland

fans74012bd4 Posted at 9-5 11:11
I have 3 swollen batteries.  DJI will not do anything to fix this issue.  They do not care.  Someone will be hurt or killed before they are held accountable for their sub standard parts.  I have jobs coming up and am forced to buy more batteries in order to do them, which pretty much wipes out any margin.  DJI screwed us all.  I will never buy another DJI drone if they cannot stand by their products.

Was your request rejected for any reason? Some people (incl. me) got new batteries.
2020-9-5
Use props
fans74012bd4
lvl.2

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2019-9-21 13:26
Hello and good day Dthawk. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Battery bulging or swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. You may also get in-touch with our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for additional assistance. Again I am sorry and thank you for understanding.

This is a BS excuse.  There is clearly a bad batch out there.  Someone is going to get hurt and DJI needs to be held accountable.  
2020-9-5
Use props
fans74012bd4
lvl.2

United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 9-5 11:42
Was your request rejected for any reason? Some people (incl. me) got new batteries.

Out of warranty.  6 month warranty.  They were maybe a year old.  But not many cycles.  I guess if they can only stand by their product for 6 months then shame on me.  We should all know they will not last with that kind of warranty.  
2020-9-6
Use props
pauschpage
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3595830 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Out of warranty too,
and now 2 batteries swollen (+1 last month).

DJI Support refused any replacement or warranty.

Date: 2018.7 + 2018.8

It's quite obvious, that there is a faulty badge of battieres out there DJI.
Not taking care of this issue is dangerous!
2020-9-6
Use props
pauschpage
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Interesting, most of the affected batteries serial number start with 0P2AF
2020-9-7
Use props
djiuser_tYfX709qP201
New

Germany

pauschpage Posted at 9-7 02:02
Interesting, most of the affected batteries serial number start with 0P2AF

Can confirm. Just got my 2 swollen M2 batteries replaced free of charge. Serial numbers start with 0P2AF, both have production date in mid/late 2018.
2020-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AEROKAMERA Posted at 9-5 11:42

I was told they were 7 months old.  Over the 6 month warranty period.
2020-9-11
Use props
fans74012bd4
lvl.2

United States

Has anybody noticed that DJI has raised the price on their MP2 batteries recently?  Quite the scam they have going on.  Put out sub optimal batteries that will fail after just over 6 months, raise the price of new batteries.  They will make a killing off of just batteries.
2020-9-13
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

you need to review how you properly  care your batteries. My 2 years old 4 batteries, over 65 cicles are perfect. I just follow the rules for lipo batteries even flying in a hotter than hell city of Rio de Janeiro.
2020-9-13
Use props
szupek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 313885 ft

Poland

HI Fellows, I got the problem of bloated batteirs as well. What have you done for a replacement?  have you issued an RMA ticket? What is it necessary to deliver? Is a video showing that a battery is rocking and a proof of purchase enough?
How it comes that DJI is replacing some batteries out of warranty while some other claims are rejected due to expired warranty cover period? It would be nice to hear DJI comment on this.

cheers!
2020-9-15
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

szupek Posted at 9-15 03:26
HI Fellows, I got the problem of bloated batteirs as well. What have you done for a replacement?  have you issued an RMA ticket? What is it necessary to deliver? Is a video showing that a battery is rocking and a proof of purchase enough?
How it comes that DJI is replacing some batteries out of warranty while some other claims are rejected due to expired warranty cover period? It would be nice to hear DJI comment on this.

I tried again having previously been rejected and got this reply:-

" would be happy to assist you but unfortunately we are currently out of stock and are unable to replace your batteries.

We apologize for the inconvenience. If you could be so kind to check back in at a later date we might have stock again. Once more, incredibly sorry for the inconvenience.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. We will be happy to assist you.
"
This seems odd given their website has batteries for sale and in stock......
2020-9-15
Use props
pauschpage
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Hey guys!

An Update from my side,
since now all of my 4 batteries are swelling (2 permanentely, 2 just after the flight) i have contacted DJI again, and they opened a RMA Case.

I had to remove all the 4 stickers with the serial number and post them to DJI.
Also i had to take a video showing the issue and the serial number.

The RMA case is still open and under investigation,
i hope they replace the batteries for free.

Thats my serial numbers
0P2AF7653401EN
0P2AF8N53408DH
0P2AF8253403TU
0P2AF8L53401SC

All starting with 0P2AF

2020-9-15
Use props
pauschpage
lvl.4
  • >>>