Superview-like mode
7921 20 2019-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheRepo
lvl.1

Hello, is there any chance on getting a Superview-like mode like the one in the Hero 7? Asking this because i bought the Osmo Action but since i'm a biker i think it's a very important feature and now i feel like i want to send the osmo back and buy a Hero 7.
The superview should be a software feature, so do you think would it be possible to get it in next firmware updates? Maybe usable with an higher resolution than 1080p and with rocksteady on...
2019-9-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. As of the moment. we don't have this feature for the DJI Osmo Action. However, we will directly forward this suggestion of yours to our designated department for attention. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!
2019-9-19
Use props
ff22
lvl.4

Can you explain what "superview mode" is?
2019-9-19
Use props
TheRepo
lvl.1

ff22 Posted at 9-19 08:45
Can you explain what "superview mode" is?

It's the famous GoPro mode that enable the camera to record video in 4:3 to gain FOV and then stretch the image to reach the 16:9 ratio. Here is a link that explain the feature:
https://it.gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/What-is-SuperView

And here is a video where you can see differences of FOV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8i6fUzM9Zg
2019-9-19
Use props
ff22
lvl.4

TheRepo Posted at 9-19 23:28
It's the famous GoPro mode that enable the camera to record video in 4:3 to gain FOV and then stretch the image to reach the 16:9 ratio. Here is a link that explain the feature:
https://it.gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/What-is-SuperView

Thanks very much for the info and links.  Technology is amazing - they stretch out the sides or edges to fill the frame - neat trick.
2019-9-20
Use props
TheRepo
lvl.1

It's a core feature for bikers... Since GoPro will announce hero 8 next 1 October, i'll send back my osmo. Thank you very much
2019-9-22
Use props
kisab
New
Czechia

I also found Osmo Action to be fairly better than Hero 7 Black in every importat way, except the missing SuperView mode. As a mountainbiker, I truly miss this feature. As it is purely software function, I would love for it to be in some future FW update.
2019-10-20
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It’s not an easy option like in the GoPro, but for interest you can achieve similar

2019-10-20
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

MKosmo Posted at 10-20 12:53
It’s not an easy option like in the GoPro, but for interest you can achieve similar

Thanks a lot for the great video! I have one question though: How can an almost %30 crop on a sensor which has 4000 pixels of width in total, still have 3840 pixels resolution?
2019-10-20
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 10-20 17:18
Thanks a lot for the great video! I have one question though: How can an almost %30 crop on a sensor which has 4000 pixels of width in total, still have 3840 pixels resolution?

It was actually a video I had on in the background so I didn’t pay attention to the details.   Was there a flaw in some of the explanation then ?
2019-10-21
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Turkey

MKosmo Posted at 10-21 12:21
It was actually a video I had on in the background so I didn’t pay attention to the details.   Was there a flaw in some of the explanation then ?

No, not at at all! It was an honest question...

This has been bugging me for quite some time, although nobody talks about it; and I think your video shows the source of my confusion clearly:

Recording 4K with a 9MP resolution sensor (that is the 16:9 portion of the 12MP AO sensor) uses almost everything the sensor has got. You really have a narrow margin on the sides before you reach the total of 3840 pixels (horizontal) you need. If you crop beyond that, you are not "really" recording at the resolution you claim any more...

Your video perfectly shows how much OA crops into the sensor with all the functions enabled. For the life of me, I honestly cannot understand how OA can do that, and still get a real 4K, 3840 pixel readout...

Unless, of course, it can not, which then would open a whole new can of worms; so I would rather not go there yet
2019-10-21
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 10-21 17:07
No, not at at all! It was an honest question...

This has been bugging me for quite some time, although nobody talks about it; and I think your video shows the source of my confusion clearly:

Ahh, I understand your point now.

I suspect the answer is the one we don’t want to think about !   For each crop it can only be having less than the 4K pixels and must be up scaling back up to a 4K frame- hence loosing detail.

I remember reading the optimum resolution was 2.7k/30 for use with rocksteady and this may be why, perhaps you still get the full 2.7k with the crop ?
2019-10-22
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

TheRepo Posted at 9-22 10:30
It's a core feature for bikers... Since GoPro will announce hero 8 next 1 October, i'll send back my osmo. Thank you very much

You can do the same thing with the Osmo Action, but you'll just have to distort it in post.  

The GoPro SuperView is just taking a full sensor 4:3 instead of 16:9 video, it then distorts it automatically down to a 16:9.  

With the Osmo Action, you can also do a full sensor 4:3 video that has a wider view than its default 16:9.  But then in post, you will just need to do the distortion to stretch it back into the 16:9 view.
However, it would be nice for the Osmo Action to have an option to just do it all in camera like the GoPro does.
2019-10-22
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Turkey

MKosmo Posted at 10-22 11:16
Ahh, I understand your point now.

I suspect the answer is the one we don’t want to think about !   For each crop it can only be having less than the 4K pixels and must be up scaling back up to a 4K frame- hence loosing detail.

I believe so... My rough estimate for the biggest crop (ratios from your video, thanks again) puts it at around 2900 pixels wide, so 2.7K should be fine
2019-10-22
Use props
djiuser_nwvNklnLWWzL
lvl.1
United States

2020 already, please for Superview Mode
2020-5-14
Use props
keeru24
lvl.1
India

DJI Gamora Posted at 2019-9-19 08:15
Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. As of the moment. we don't have this feature for the DJI Osmo Action. However, we will directly forward this suggestion of yours to our designated department for attention. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!

Hi,

Any updates of when the superview like feature for Osmo action might land? That would be a game changer and many of my friends want to buy Osmo action but are retreating because of this missing feature
2020-6-19
Use props
keeru24
lvl.1
India

djiuser_nwvNklnLWWzL Posted at 5-14 14:42
2020 already, please for Superview Mode

I doubt we getting that feature, maybe they have reserved it for Osmo action 2
2020-6-19
Use props
martinkl10
New

Denmark

As a off-piste skier this is a crucial feature. Am planning to get a new action camera in the next few months and from my research the Osmo Action does waaaay better than the GoPros in below 0 C degrees (which is often where I take all my shots). I use a head mount, so the superview is just perfect for getting my skis as well as the horizon. If the Osmo Action could make a FOV like the GoPro Superview that enables RockSteady without losing to much of the FOV, then I would definitely buy it.
2020-9-16
Use props
fansb46703ec
lvl.1
Flight distance : 714318 ft
Russia

Superview for skiers too! Drop an update for osmo action or we have to buy gopro again
2020-12-3
Use props
djiuser_Md06o25tX88N
New

Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2019-9-19 08:15

Hi, wondering if this was ever considered? I ended up buying a few of the original Osmo Action cameras and this would be an awesome feature. Converting in post is just torture. A superview for motovlogging is a must.
2022-4-26
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

the update came about, called the DJI Action 2,   Company discontinued the model,  no more once al gone its gone
2022-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules