Obvious Vibration in Video Footage
2539 11 2019-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>

Im experiencing really obvious and footage destroying ‘jello effect’ like vibrations when recording video during walking. My iPhone X is perfectly balanced and I’m employing the ‘ninja’ walk etc but every step results in the recorded footage jittering - kind of like a very quick water ripple around the edges of the shot. It happens when recording video using both the Mimo app or the apple camera app. The gimbal motors get obviously shaken about in wind of 16mph too. I’ve watched loads of YouTube examples of walking video capture with the Osmo mobile 3 and haven’t noticed the issue I’m experiencing in anyone else’s footage.

I’ve tried recalibration the gimble but it’s no different. I’ve lost 2 days holiday videos so far. Anyone any ideas to fix the issue please?!
2019-9-19
Use props
Nightfallen.
lvl.2

Have you tried disabling the phone's EIS?
2019-9-19
Use props
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>

Nightfallen. Posted at 9-19 02:54
Have you tried disabling the phone's EIS?

Thanks, but I don't think its possible to disable eis on an iPhone? There's no mention of it in the settings and I can't find out how from a Google search.

I have since tried the gimbal with another iphone as well - an iPhone 7 fitted with a single camera lens - and that suffers the same issue when using both the Apple camera app and the dji mimo app.

I'm also finding the gimbal is often rolling, left and right, and intermittently becomes out of phase with the horizon when recording video and quite gently moving the gimbal. Double clicking the trigger doesn't put it right, but switching to the 'photo' mode tends to fix it. When I return to video mode the problem comes back. The phone is perfectly balanced so, unfortunately, I'm starting to question the capability/usefulness of the gimbal, or simply whether it's faulty.
2019-9-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

What gimbal mode setting are you using?
2019-9-19
Use props
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-19 15:49
What gimbal mode setting are you using?

For Video capture I’m using follow me mode.
2019-9-19
Use props
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>

So it seems there's no 'fix' to the video footage ruining jitter that's apparent with every slight vibration or footstep other than, I assume, buying a fourth axis stabiliser or using a smartphone with a camera that let's you turn eis off?!

I'm surprised not to read more negative comments about the problem. It's obviously not DJI's fault (it's Apple who won't let the user disable eis), but I'd have thought DJI could have mentioned the issue so that iPhone users don't waste money on a gimbal that's partially incompatible with their phone. Such a shame.
2019-9-23
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

As you say, it's not something others are demonstrating as a problem in videos online, so I do wonder whether you have a faulty device.  Maybe post an example of your problem on YouTube, also?
2019-9-23
Use props
TorontoR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35912 ft

Have the same issue, only counter I have found is to ninja walk even softer!  My Zhiyun Smooth Q could withstand more wind for sure as well.
2019-9-23
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

TorontoR Posted at 9-23 14:35
Have the same issue, only country I have found is to ninja walk even softer!  My Zhiyun Smooth Q could withstand more wind for sure as well.

iPhone also, or something else?
2019-9-23
Use props
TorontoR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35912 ft

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-23 19:55
iPhone also, or something else?

Have an S10 plus
2019-9-23
Use props
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>

TorontoR Posted at 9-23 14:35
Have the same issue, only counter I have found is to ninja walk even softer!  My Zhiyun Smooth Q could withstand more wind for sure as well.

Haha - I've done my best to ninja walk like a trained assassin.  Lots of funny looks, but not much difference to video.    As you say, wind ruins videos too.  I was on the beach in a 16mph cross wind and the resulting footage is unusable.
Have you turned Video Stabilisation off in the S10+ camera settings?  Does it make a difference with Video Stabilisation on/off?
2019-9-24
Use props
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-23 13:40
As you say, it's not something others are demonstrating as a problem in videos online, so I do wonder whether you have a faulty device.  Maybe post an example of your problem on YouTube, also?

There's plenty of mention of the issue on the web/youtube etc.  There just seems to be little mention of it on this forum.  .  I've seen plenty of videos online with the same jitter I'm experiencing as a result of vibrations through the gimbal.

Some people use a small ferrous magnet to 'lock' the Apple iPhone image stabilising hardware in place, but I'd be very concerned that doing so could magnetise the camera parts / sensors and do irreversible damage that would be experienced all the time the magnet isn't in place.  It's very disappointing that Apple chose not to allow users to turn the video stabilisation off.

It's a shame DJI hasn't mentioned the issue when advertising the product.  They say it's compatible with the iPhone X (for example) but in truth it's only partially compatible.
2019-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules