How to find DJI HDL protocol
18814 22 2019-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Freefly-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 600892 ft
  • >>>

Since Betaflight made some changes to their configurator, so if you are using a development version flight controller firmware and Betaflight configurator with a release date of August 15th or later, you may not be able to find the DJI-HDL-7MS protocol. In this post, I will show you how to find that DJI HDL protocol.

You can refer to this post to see how to install the Betaflight 10.6.0 configurator.

There are two ways to enable the HDL protocol. The first method is recommended because it can still be used after the 4.1.0 flight controller released version replaces the development version. The two ways are:

I. The first method can be applied to the flight controller firmware and configurator that has been updated on August 15th or later:

1.  Go the DJI FPV Goggles’ Settings-Device menu, then choose the HDL protocol.

2.  Enter the Betaflight configurator, then choose the S.Bus protocol.
1.png
3. After choosing S.Bus protocol, enter the CLI command mode.
Input “set sbus_baud_fast = ON”.

Press Enter, then wait until the prompt shown in the picture below appears.
Then input the “Save ”  press Enter to restart the flight controller.
2.png
3.png

II. The second method is to choose the flight controller firmware and configurator released before August 15th, and then you can choose DJI_HDL_7MS directly. You can download the previous versions in the Google Drive link below.      

(Make sure you use both the flight controller and configurator released before August 15th.)   
Betaflight Configurator:     

Go to the “Firmware Flasher” menu to download and flash the flight controller firmware.      

Click the “Firmware Flasher” button, enable the “Show unstable releases” option, and then choose “Development” as shown in the picture.      

Choose a 4.1.0 version which was released from August 1st to August 14th. These versions of firmware are compatible with DJI_HDL protocol.
5.png 6.png   

4.png
2019-9-19
Use props
FPV Thailand
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1206775 ft

Thanks Freefly, it works. I executed method 1 and my remote controller connects to the aircraft in DJI HDL 7ms protocol. My latency is 29ms though, not 7ms what DJI announced.
2019-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for sharing
2019-9-22
Use props
Freefly-FPV
lvl.4
  • >>>

FPV Thailand Posted at 9-20 19:10
Thanks Freefly, it works. I executed method 1 and my remote controller connects to the aircraft in DJI HDL 7ms protocol. My latency is 29ms though, not 7ms what DJI announced.

7MS is the latency between remote controller and FC. not the video transmission latency.
2019-9-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this work with our valued DJi forum
2019-9-26
Use props
djiuser_MpCcPvkerAne
lvl.1

Hi,

When trying to select the dji hdl setting in the goggle settings the two options normal and dji hdl jump like crazy and I cant pick one of them, any ideas?

I am using the t motor f4 and f55 pro II; my remote controller doesn't connect to the FC, swapped air unit, didn't change anything, FC is connected the right way with R5 being SBUS, and SBUS enabled and ports assigned correctly. Firm wares are updated and all parts are activated and linked properly.

Cheers!
2019-9-27
Use props
Albert90
lvl.1

I downloaded the betaflight config 5.1.0 and used a FC Firmware between 10 and 14 th of August, still, I cant see the DJI HDL setting in betaflight... any ideas? appreciate every help
2019-9-28
Use props
kevin43120
lvl.1
Flight distance : 232208 ft

Hello, i have got same problem.. my dealers can't find problem
2019-10-7
Use props
Freefly-FPV
lvl.4
  • >>>

djiuser_MpCcPvkerAne Posted at 9-27 05:30
Hi,

When trying to select the dji hdl setting in the goggle settings the two options normal and dji hdl jump like crazy and I cant pick one of them, any ideas?

Sorry, I don't what wrong with it. Maybe you need to try the first mothed to enable the Sbus_baud_fast.
2019-10-9
Use props
Will Falcon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 937608 ft
Russia

Hi, I still can not select HDL in goggles, when I try to change it from "Normal" to "HDL" it switched back to "Normal"each time.
So, if I don't power my drone on, in goggles this option is gray and unavailable to make any changes.

The FC I use is Mamba F722s, I wired the yellow wire to SBUS pad.
2019-10-18
Use props
fans70803719
lvl.4

United States

Will Falcon Posted at 10-18 10:48
Hi, I still can not select HDL in goggles, when I try to change it from "Normal" to "HDL" it switched back to "Normal"each time.
So, if I don't power my drone on, in goggles this option is gray and unavailable to make any changes.

Does everything else work?  Do you see the battery voltage from the flight controller in your goggles?  Can you successfully change PID settings via the goggles?  Just trying to verify that the MSP connection to the FC is working properly.  Though I don't know if that is necessary for the switch to happen.  Oh, and is your radio on when you make the switch?  I wonder if that matters at all.  Probably not.
2019-10-18
Use props
Will Falcon
lvl.2
Russia

fans70803719 Posted at 10-18 15:05
Does everything else work?  Do you see the battery voltage from the flight controller in your goggles?  Can you successfully change PID settings via the goggles?  Just trying to verify that the MSP connection to the FC is working properly.  Though I don't know if that is necessary for the switch to happen.  Oh, and is your radio on when you make the switch?  I wonder if that matters at all.  Probably not.

Yes I can see the voltage on the screen.

I just changed PID settings and saved them using goggles only, without radio/receiver switched on, then I refreshed BF configurator and all the changes were reflected within configurator.
2019-10-18
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

I have the Mamba F722 mini. I had it all wired up good, all working with the Sept 2019 BF 4.1 release candidate and was able to get DJI_HDL protocol working by setting set sbus_baud_fast = ON. Worked great for several weeks. I wanted to get the full advantage of RPM filtering in the release version of BF 4.1. After I flashed 4.1 to the Mamba target, DJI_HDL no longer connects to the Mamba. I have to set sbus_baud_fast = OFF  to see my receiver at all.

FWIW, DJI_HDL was never visible in BetaFlight Configurator for me. I was only able to get it to work with set sbus_baud_fast = ON with the release candidate of BF 4.1.

UPDATE: After resetting this in BF, the DJI googles, etc. about a half a dozen times, I was finally able to get DJI_HDL protocol to stay.
2019-10-20
Use props
Will Falcon
lvl.2
Russia

CappyA330 Posted at 10-20 09:50
I have the Mamba F722 mini. I had it all wired up good, all working with the Sept 2019 BF 4.1 release candidate and was able to get DJI_HDL protocol working by setting set sbus_baud_fast = ON. Worked great for several weeks. I wanted to get the full advantage of RPM filtering in the release version of BF 4.1. After I flashed 4.1 to the Mamba target, DJI_HDL no longer connects to the Mamba. I have to set sbus_baud_fast = OFF  to see my receiver at all.

FWIW, DJI_HDL was never visible in BetaFlight Configurator for me. I was only able to get it to work with set sbus_baud_fast = ON with the release candidate of BF 4.1.

which version of Septembers firmware did u use? I tried almost all, w no luck.
2019-10-21
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

Will Falcon Posted at 10-21 03:30
which version of Septembers firmware did u use? I tried almost all, w no luck.

I am not sure, but it was a release candidate. Sept 24 or 29 maybe. DJI_HDL was never in the dropdown list. I just set SBUS for protocol in BF and then in CLI I typed sbus_baud_fast = ON and then SAVE - all this after I set the goggle protocol to DJI HDL. It worked well, quite snappy. I can tell the difference now that it does not work.

UPDATE: After resetting this in BF, the DJI googles, etc. about a half a dozen times, I was finally able to get DJI_HDL protocol to stay.
2019-10-21
Use props
Will Falcon
lvl.2
Russia

CappyA330 Posted at 10-21 11:24
I am not sure, but it was a release candidate. Sept 24 or 29 maybe. DJI_HDL was never in the dropdown list. I just set SBUS for protocol in BF and then in CLI I typed sbus_baud_fast = ON and then SAVE - all this after I set the goggle protocol to DJI HDL. It worked well, quite snappy. I can tell the difference now that it does not work.

OK, thank you, in this case I am not gonna use DJI HDL,  today I tried normal protocol and I am happy with it. It makes sticks very responsive.
2019-10-21
Use props
fans5fe202e6
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi,

When trying to select the dji hdl setting in the goggle settings the two options normal and dji hdl jump like crazy and I cant pick one of them, any ideas?

Is your drone working. What did you do to get it working I have the same Problem and I have f4 f55apro
2019-12-18
Use props
fans5fe202e6
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi,

Is your drone working. What did you do to get it working I have the same Problem and I have f4 f55apro
2019-12-18
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

FYI:  Under the newer DJI Firmware you'll now only see the following two (2) options in the DJI Goggles;  Change "DJI HDL" to "Sbus Baud Fast" under Protocol in Device Info in Setting.
2020-1-3
Use props
nathanstlgmail.com
lvl.1

United States

I have a similar problem now. I have the Caddx Vista and I’m using the iflight miniF7 succex-d. It has plug and play for the esc connection and the air unit connection at the FC. I did have to solder the vista as there isn’t room for the port I guess. Anyway my DJI controller isn’t showing up in betaflight config. FC has 4.1.1 on it. I’ve also tried the fast sbus cli command and changed the setting on the goggles. Still nothing. Went back to normal on goggles and sbus in betaflight. Still nothing. I’m getting video and drone battery telemetry from the FC in the goggles. The controller and the FC are bound and the controller light is green. Any ideas where to start? Oh my port settings are uart1 serial rx enabled. And uart2 msp enabled. Receiver settings are serial based under mode and sbus under provider.
2020-2-13
Use props
samo975
lvl.1

Kenya

nathanstlgmail.com Posted at 2020-2-13 00:33
I have a similar problem now. I have the Caddx Vista and I’m using the iflight miniF7 succex-d. It has plug and play for the esc connection and the air unit connection at the FC. I did have to solder the vista as there isn’t room for the port I guess. Anyway my DJI controller isn’t showing up in betaflight config. FC has 4.1.1 on it. I’ve also tried the fast sbus cli command and changed the setting on the goggles. Still nothing. Went back to normal on goggles and sbus in betaflight. Still nothing. I’m getting video and drone battery telemetry from the FC in the goggles. The controller and the FC are bound and the controller light is green. Any ideas where to start? Oh my port settings are uart1 serial rx enabled. And uart2 msp enabled. Receiver settings are serial based under mode and sbus under provider.

I know this was a while ago.  But were you ever able to solve this?  I have the exact same problem.  Everything you are describing I am struggling with right now.  I have everything up to date, all the latest updates.  I am using a T-Motor F4 F55A Pro ii stack that I literally ordered from DJI's website.  I was really hoping that this would be a plug and play experience.  But, I just can't get the DJI FPV controller to talk to Betaflight.
Thank you for any help in advance!
2021-3-14
Use props
djiuser_ZvCgDzq58fUR
New

Germany

samo975 Posted at 3-14 09:36
I know this was a while ago.  But were you ever able to solve this?  I have the exact same problem.  Everything you are describing I am struggling with right now.  I have everything up to date, all the latest updates.  I am using a T-Motor F4 F55A Pro ii stack that I literally ordered from DJI's website.  I was really hoping that this would be a plug and play experience.  But, I just can't get the DJI FPV controller to talk to Betaflight.

Did you ever solved your problems?
2021-4-14
Use props
Gimbal Golf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3289062 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

samo975 Posted at 2021-3-14 09:36

I have the same issue with my iflight Beast F745_AIO v1 board. The DJI controller will not pass through the signals to Betaflight, I have no stick responses in Betaflight, no arming and just cannot solve the issue. Did you find an answer?
2022-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules