Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Editing 4k 60 fps footings
2672 9 2019-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
titust1
lvl.2

Hi I recently purchased an Osmo Pocket and started Shooting 4k 60fps. I had the fist gen Osmo before and I was shooting 4k 30 fps
I realized that when I tried to edit my new movies made in 4k 60fps, my computer is not capable to handle them. What I mean is that I can’t have a smooth playback when editing in Davinci Resolve, or on my iMac. It used to work OK previously with 4k 30fps. I have a PC with core i7 6700K and an nvidia GTX 1080 8gb vram, 32gb Ram. It seems to me this is still a decent speed
My question is,for you guys:
What computer and graphics card are you guys using for 4k 60 fps editing and rendering?
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

2019-9-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation and suggestions from our valued DJI members here in Forum. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-9-20
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Hi.

This is mostly down to how your NLE handles the decoding of the H.264 codec. Different NLEs will use either the CPU or GPU or a combination to decode the codec. You probably also need to make sure that your specific NLE is set to use whatever decoding method it uses to decode the codec and that you are using specific drivers if that’s the case. As a for instance. I use Edius and it uses QSV from the Intel CPU to decode the H.264 codec but it will only work with specific drivers for the iGPU.

Even a fairly powerful CPU may have issues decoding if it’s all done in software. This is why Intel CPUs are usually a good thing, if the NLE utilises it’s iGPU for QSV. Although you’ve got a very powerful GPU, some NLEs don’t use the GPU for decoding and only use it for render assistance of FX etc. and also for final output encoding.

Also. Editing in 8 Bit can help as well as the files are only 8 Bit anyway. Using a 10 Bit project will put extra strain on a system and unless your NLE utilises dithering, there’s no need to edit 10 Bit with 8 Bit sources as it takes more processing power to do so.

You could also try monitoring in a lower resolution, for instance 1080, then switch to UHD for your final output render.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-20
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4

Even on a recent high spec Mac I initially had problems with Davinci at 4K 60fps,

By using optimised media, solved this, for example see

2019-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

MKosmo Posted at 9-20 23:37
Even on a recent high spec Mac I initially had problems with Davinci at 4K 60fps,

By using optimised media, solved this, for example see

Thanks for sharing
2019-9-22
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>

I use an iMac early 2013, i5 2.3 GHz with 8Gb of RAM with final cut PRO X. After  the transcoding  process, it works fine.
Final Cut Pro x shows a message me computer isn’t strings enough but it can handle with 4K
It  doesn’t  support H.265 encode/decode.
2019-9-23
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Try for fun to play a 4K file from the osmo pocket reversed in your editor. (i'm using Vegas Pro 17)

My system (an Intel i9 with plenty of RAM and a MSI GTX 1050) is having a hard time doing so.

Strange thing is that with other 4K (non DJI files) and with same frame rate I do not have this problem.

I've no clue what could cause this.
Only solution for me (when I really want to play a 4K  file reversed) is to pre render it 1st.
2019-9-24
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft

From what I know, anything before 7th gen Intel processors are going to struggle with HEVC files/footage.  I had the same thing happen, with the same processor as you.  I now have an i7-7700 processor and it plays and edits fine.
2019-9-24
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft

NoëI Posted at 9-24 02:06
Try for fun to play a 4K file from the osmo pocket reversed in your editor. (i'm using Vegas Pro 17)

My system (an Intel i9 with plenty of RAM and a MSI GTX 1050) is having a hard time doing so.

I noticed that Vegas struggles with HEVC/H.265 files.  I use the same files in Adobe Premiere and I have no issues.  I've tried many different suggested settings in Vegas (16 and 17), but no luck.  So I was forced to switch to using Premiere as my main editor with raw HEVC.  I still use Vegas for 'non-raw' HEVC files.
2019-9-24
Use props
Maxipro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1760791 ft

Neo Supreme Posted at 9-24 04:49
I noticed that Vegas struggles with HEVC/H.265 files.  I use the same files in Adobe Premiere and I have no issues.  I've tried many different suggested settings in Vegas (16 and 17), but no luck.  So I was forced to switch to using Premiere as my main editor with raw HEVC.  I still use Vegas for 'non-raw' HEVC files.

Vegas is evil!
2019-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules