FAA rules flying at night - Hobby/recreational use.
1063 7 2019-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bobsma
lvl.4

If there are no rules(excopt for Part 107) about flying at night, what does this mean? I only see them for Part 107.
am I missing something? I know about the lights needed for 3 mile visiblitly. but it's still not clear.
P.S. I fly 100% for fun... as a hobby, but still don't want to break any rules flying at night, etc..
I have a Mavic 2 Pro so I posted this here.

2019-9-21
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

Strange as it may seem, you've interpreted the regulations correctly: recreational pilots can fly at night but 107 pilots currently can't without a waiver and appropriate (visible from 3NM) lighting, though many such waivers have been approved. The regulations are supposed to be changed (loosened) for 107 pilots in the near future with the inclusion of night procedures in the exam, but as of today that's how things stand.
2019-9-21
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

Gimpy Posted at 9-21 15:35
Strange as it may seem, you've interpreted the regulations correctly: recreational pilots can fly at night but 107 pilots currently can't without a waiver and appropriate (visible from 3NM) lighting, though many such waivers have been approved. The regulations are supposed to be changed (loosened) for 107 pilots in the near future with the inclusion of night procedures in the exam, but as of today that's how things stand.

then can you please tell this to some person who is Part 107 who thinks he knows everything (he has an Inspire 2). And I am beginning wonder why he is so sure of himself. He is well known in my hometown and  I told him I would text him when I can prove he is wrong... are you sure about this? why does the FAA avoid this rule for hobby use? I just don't get it.....
2019-9-21
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4

bobsma Posted at 9-21 15:43
then can you please tell this to some person who is Part 107 who thinks he knows everything (he has an Inspire 2). And I am beginning wonder why he is so sure of himself. He is well known in my hometown and  I told him I would text him when I can prove he is wrong... are you sure about this? why does the FAA avoid this rule for hobby use? I just don't get it.....

Yes, I'm sure, but would it really do any good for me to tell him since I'm just an anonymous stranger on the internet?

I'd suggest that you either have him call his local FSDO or point him to the website of Jonathan Rupprecht, who's a well-known and respected attorney specializing in U.S. aviation (and especially drone) law. Here's the relevant excerpt from Rupprecht's website page regarding flying at night:

Question: Does a model aircraft flyer need a night waiver?
Answer: No, only non-recreational operators flying under Part 107 need night waivers. Additionally, government entities can obtain waivers for their departments to fly under.

2019-9-21
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

Gimpy Posted at 9-21 17:40
Yes, I'm sure, but would it really do any good for me to tell him since I'm just an anonymous stranger on the internet?

I'd suggest that you either have him call his local FSDO or point him to the website of Jonathan Rupprecht, who's a well-known and respected attorney specializing in U.S. aviation (and especially drone) law. Here's the relevant excerpt from Rupprecht's website page regarding flying at night:

Gimpy. it great to  know there are people like you in this world who is not only smart but are helpful to other people.. so I thank you for just being yourself!  so many stupid mean people in this world, especially where I live.
2019-9-22
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 9-21 15:43

Presumably night flight is covered by the need to keep the quadcopter in sight so that you can avoid any obstacles. So that in itself would be more limited at night time.

It would all be covered here somewhere:-

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/
2019-9-22
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84091 ft

Aardvark Posted at 9-22 03:52
Presumably night flight is covered by the need to keep the quadcopter in sight so that you can avoid any obstacles. So that in itself would be more limited at night time.

It would all be covered here somewhere:-

The VLOS rule applies.  What is unclear is whether those with CREE and other lights comply with the VLOS rule at night.  It would appear they do.
2019-9-22
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Drone34 Posted at 9-22 03:59
The VLOS rule applies.  What is unclear is whether those with CREE and other lights comply with the VLOS rule at night.  It would appear they do.

The problem there might be not be the drone, but seeing what you might be about to fly into, building, tree, power lines etc.
2019-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules