Gimbal Goes Crazy
4389 7 2019-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KEM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151191 ft

After not flying my Phantom 3 standard for a long time, I thought I could just take off and fly like I did before. As soon as I took off, I flew into my deck rail. Now when I start it up, the Gimbal rotates all around and then points down making a loud clicking sound. I get a warning saying that it's overheating. Looking at it, I don't see any physical damage since it was going at a very slow speed when it hit. Could someone please tell me what could be wrong. I would like to purchase another drone one day but I want to get back to learning to fly with this one. Thanks, Kevin
2019-9-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain

It generally means you need to replace the flexible ribbon cable on the camera/gimbal section.
2019-9-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day KEM. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the gimbal of your DJI Phantom 3 Standard. Since this issue is happening on the said drone. There might be an issue with the internal components of the drone after it flew into my deck rail. I would recommend you to contact our DJI Support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason and fix the said drone. Thank for your support.
2019-9-24
Use props
KEM
lvl.2

Geebax Posted at 9-23 22:19
It generally means you need to replace the flexible ribbon cable on the camera/gimbal section.

Would that cause it to make a loud clicking noise as if some kind of gear is stripped? Also, what's the best way to tell if it's damaged? Just by looking at it from the outside, I can't see any.  Thanks
2019-9-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain

KEM Posted at 9-24 16:18
Would that cause it to make a loud clicking noise as if some kind of gear is stripped? Also, what's the best way to tell if it's damaged? Just by looking at it from the outside, I can't see any.  Thanks

Yes, it could possibly cause that clicking sound, and no, often the damage to the ribbon is not visible. The only way to find out is to replace it. BTW, theere are no gears in the gimbal.
2019-9-24
Use props
KEM
lvl.2

Geebax Posted at 9-24 16:33
Yes, it could possibly cause that clicking sound, and no, often the damage to the ribbon is not visible. The only way to find out is to replace it. BTW, theere are no gears in the gimbal.

That sounds good to me. I'll see what it cost to replace it. Didn't want to spend a lot fixing it because I plan on getting another one by the summer hopefully. Just want to get back to flying and learning with this one to keep it from happening again if that's possible..lol
2019-9-24
Use props
KEM
lvl.2

Geebax Posted at 9-24 16:33
Yes, it could possibly cause that clicking sound, and no, often the damage to the ribbon is not visible. The only way to find out is to replace it. BTW, theere are no gears in the gimbal.
I was getting ready to take the ribbon cable apart and I noticed that there is a set screw at the bottom of the arm going to the lower motor. It has backed almost all the way out. The flat part of the shaft looks like it's turned about 30 degrees away from the set screw. I lifted up on the bottom mount and rotated the motor until the flat part of the shaft was aligned with the set screw hole. Didn't have the right tool to tighten it up but managed to get it a little snug. Turned it on and the camera rotated and stopped like it should. Turned it off and back on and it made the clicking noise again and moved somewhat out of sync again. Screw was loose again.
What are the chances of it just being the set screw coming loose?? Also anyone know what size tool I need to tighten it? ... Thanks
2019-9-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain

KEM Posted at 9-24 21:31
I was getting ready to take the ribbon cable apart and I noticed that there is a set screw at the bottom of the arm going to the lower motor. It has backed almost all the way out. The flat part of the shaft looks like it's turned about 30 degrees away from the set screw. I lifted up on the bottom mount and rotated the motor until the flat part of the shaft was aligned with the set screw hole. Didn't have the right tool to tighten it up but managed to get it a little snug. Turned it on and the camera rotated and stopped like it should. Turned it off and back on and it made the clicking noise again and moved somewhat out of sync again. Screw was loose again.
What are the chances of it just being the set screw coming loose?? Also anyone know what size tool I need to tighten it? ... Thanks

Yes, there is every chance that you have found the problem. The set-screw probably has an Allen-key socket, and it will be a Metic size. Try buying a small set of Allen Wrenches.
2019-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules