Buy a Smart Controller now - or Wait?
1376 3 2019-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnnyMac41
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5607 ft
  • >>>

I got stuck in the RE Goggles debacle last year - I bought them, and a year later, I'm still afraid to fly with them and risk my Mavic 2 Zoom.

I need to do a bunch of Site Surveys in another state next week for work. I've been considering getting a SC but am scared to do that, too, after seeing now that the software can not be brought not up to date as the regular controller can - and I'm afraid I'll be wasting $$ again.

I'll get my Part 107 temporary paperwork tomorrow morning, as I've been scoring 95-98% on the 5 practice tests I've taken, I know I'll pass the test - and if they work, it would make doing these far easier than trying to keep peering into a hood around my iPad Pro all the time. That worries me, I need to be watching my drone instead.

Thoughts? Are they working really, or not?

I've got the lastest updates in my Mavic 2, controller and RE Goggles right now but have not had a chance to fly them yet.

Thanks!

John
2019-9-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day John. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI co pilots who has the DJI Smart Controller with regards to this matter. Furthermore the DJI Smart Controller is designed to maximize your outdoor flying experience with the DJI Mavic 2 series drones. A 5.5-inch built-in screen displays clear, bright images, even under challenging conditions. Intuitive controls and pre-installed features like SkyTalk and the DJI Go 4 application get you up in the air quicker, clearer, and more conveniently than ever before. In addition goodluck on your Part 107 exam and thank you for your valued support.
2019-9-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Those that have bought one generally say it's was worth it - weigh up the pro's and con's of your needs then decide.
2019-9-25
Use props
mAIRs
lvl.4

After experiencing the very little support with CS monitors and their locked OS that can't run the generic Android Go4 I'd say steer clear from the SC... it has about the same amount of support, has the same kind of locked Android OS.   Sure in the beginning you'll think it's great but eventually the novelty will wear off and you'll be disappointed.
If you need the brighter screen than go for it, or get the CS that you'll be able to use on other drones unlike the SC that's Ocusync2 only... but remember that updates and features might be far behind the iOS or generic android Go4 app...  

Personally if I knew what I know now about DJI, if I got a drone than I'd definitely not get the CS, definitely won't be getting the SC and just use a iPad Mini or my phone.
2019-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules