Phantom 3 Professional Abnormal Compass (Compass error)
15672 26 2015-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alexeykonoplev2
New

Russia

Please help. Have a next problem. I have a new DJI Phantom 3 Professional. I haven't use it yet. There is a compass error. When I try to calibrate the copter there is a "compass abnormal" error. There is a message "Intensive electromagnetic interference nearby, please make sure no magnets or metal objects are near the compass and keep the aircraft above 1 meter off the ground to do recalibration."
I changed location a lot of times, but the error is.
Does somebody know about this?

p.s. There is a strange noise in gimbal like "[size=14.6666669845581px]Gggssseee"
2015-6-10
Use props
MikeAngelo
lvl.2

United States

You're in Russia.....there's probably "Intensive Electromagnetic Interference" everywhere.   Couldn't help myself.
2015-6-10
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

While you have your P3 turned on, and before you hit the calibration, hold the P3 level and slowly tilt is so the camera is facing up at like 45 degree angle. Does it then say safe to fly and give you green lights? Mine does the same thing. I have had no help from DJI at all after about 5 unanswered emails. I have had some instructions on here to do a firmware update (which i did), along with imu calibration, and nothing has worked.

Here is a video of what mine does. I am calling them today as soon as they open because I am fed up with this now.

2015-6-10
Use props
philnmozz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4054236 ft
  • >>>
Australia

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-11 01:34
While you have your P3 turned on, and before you hit the calibration, hold the P3 level and slowly t ...

I am receiving the same error
2015-9-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

please calibrate your compass outside, far from metal constructions and other stuff that can cause electromagnetic  interference.
2015-9-1
Use props
tufan
New

Turkey

I have the same error. Are there any solution.
2015-9-20
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

very high kp index at the moment. try again when its below 4
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/planetary-k-index
2015-9-20
Use props
tufan
New

Turkey

I have this error yesterday and it seems below 4.
2015-9-20
Use props
DB4Tim
lvl.2

United States

Same error no matter what I do only happened after firmware updatte
2016-2-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DB4Tim Posted at 2016-2-7 10:23
Same error no matter what I do only happened after firmware updatte

You have a compass error .... have you tried going somewhere well  away from cars, reinforced concrete or anything else made of iron or steel?
If you still can't get rid of a compass error, look at the compass data in the Sensors section of the app.
If you have some numbers there,  you should be able to sort things out.
If you have zero, you have a broken sensor or it is disconnected or has a broken cable.
2016-2-6
Use props
Rockman6
New

United States

I keep getting compass calibration error message. Strong magnetic interference. I have changed locations without success. I guess I will trying going very remote and remove almost all clothing to see if I can try the dance again. Getting tired of the error issue. Never had it until I did the update.
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Rockman6 Posted at 2016-8-1 10:04
I keep getting compass calibration error message. Strong magnetic interference. I have changed locat ...

Have you also tried an IMU calibration as well? Could you verify what firmware you have on the unit and whether you have tried reapplying the firmware?
2016-7-31
Use props
darius.suddreth
lvl.1
United States

Any updates? Having the same problem
2016-8-18
Use props
mbrodie347
New

Canada

I'm now having the same issue. As well as it says GPS failure when it's about 50' away from me. Just picked it up Friday and already tired of both issues showing up. Pls help
2016-8-18
Use props
DesertData
New

Australia

I was in a clear oval yesterday. Flew fine for about half of the battery life. Had to land and switch off for a short time. Restarted with everything green until I was about 6 heaters in the air and got the compas error. I tried to complete a compas calibration but it told me I had excessive radio interference. (Not those exact words but you get the idea) Now today I have tried again. Completed compas calibration fine but as soon as I fly the compas fails. I then did a dull IMU calibration. Passed those testes but it did the same thing as soon as I flew higher than about 2 meters. Please help. I am preparing for a big flight tomorrow.

2016-8-20
Use props
DesertData
New

Australia

Gee I would like to add that Im hardly filled with confidence while looking for a fix. You would have thought that the DJI reps would be all over this thread trying to help resolve this issue.
2016-8-20
Use props
rich
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197680 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did anyone resolve this issue? Im getting same problem after replacing shell. Cheers
2016-9-29
Use props
JammieDodger
New

United Kingdom

A friend of mine even fitted a new compass and it was still get getting the error definitely firmware related
2016-10-14
Use props
sefikakkurt
New
Flight distance : 1591677 ft
United Kingdom

After firmware upgrade it has started , since then tried many different solition suggested downgrade firmware , IMU calibrating , etc etc . It seems it was better after android application upgrade then after a few flight same issue arised .  I have replaced compass module today and flown again... Same error. It is happening after took off .  Sometimes it goes back to gps mode while fliying  ,other time  compass error all the time. After a very scary last flight decided not to fly untill some kind of fix comes along.
2016-10-20
Use props
fans0a0ee07d
lvl.1
Spain

I have the same issue, any solution? I have upgraded to lasted firmwares, then I have the error. not before. I use android, both firmwares upgraded
2018-1-28
Use props
Dot
lvl.1

Botswana

Hi My phantom 3 standard wont start the motors, when i try to start them it pops out the screen indicating Compass abnormal calibrate, overall status  - latest firmware abnormal its also blinks red and yellow with a glowing green light at the tail and glowing red at the front. i have tried calibrating the compass on difference locations and nothing helps only magnetic field . pliz help
2018-9-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Make sure you are away from metal objects, including on your person (large set of keys, cell phone, etc).  

You might try degaussing the compass.  The idea is you take a small magnet and circle it around the compass.  And then with luck it will calibrate.  Do a little research.  Good luck.  
2018-9-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dot Posted at 2018-9-12 05:45
Hi My phantom 3 standard wont start the motors, when i try to start them it pops out the screen indicating Compass abnormal calibrate, overall status  - latest firmware abnormal its also blinks red and yellow with a glowing green light at the tail and glowing red at the front. i have tried calibrating the compass on difference locations and nothing helps only magnetic field . pliz help

If you have the compass warning and multiple attempts to calibrate fail, you may have a broken compass wire or loose connection.
Go to the Sensors section of the app settings and see what it shows for your compass.
If you see zero, your compass is disconnected and will never calibrate until that's fixed.
2018-9-12
Use props
Dot
lvl.1

Botswana

Labroides Posted at 2018-9-12 06:46
If you have the compass warning and multiple attempts to calibrate fail, you may have a broken compass wire or loose connection.
Go to the Sensors section of the app settings and see what it shows for your compass.
If you see zero, your compass is disconnected and will never calibrate until that's fixed.

Thank you ill check the loose wire and the broke connection as on the sensors im receiving zeros
2018-9-13
Use props
Dot
lvl.1

Botswana

pliz help my DJI phantom 3 standard does not have any physical damage, no loose connection and i have realize that on the sensors it only shows zero, the motors wont start
img]201810/07/214806myt4lqa55qtoo33t.jpg[/img]
2018-10-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dot Posted at 2018-10-7 21:50
pliz help my DJI phantom 3 standard does not have any physical damage, no loose connection and i have realize that on the sensors it only shows zero, the motors wont start
img]201810/07/214806myt4lqa55qtoo33t.jpg[/img][view_image][view_image]

i have realize that on the sensors it only shows zero
If the sensor data for teh compass shows zero, you have a disconnected compass and the Phantom won't work until that is fixed.
It will either be a loose connector on the mainboard or a broken wire to the compass.
2018-10-7
Use props
Dot
lvl.1

Botswana

thank you
2018-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules