Sophomore Questions
946 5 2015-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pedz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24898 ft
United States

The first flight was last Sunday and it was 90 degrees F in the shade and a bright sunny day.  I'm in Austin, TX USA.

Q1: I could not see my iPhone's screen at all.  How do folks shade it so you can see the screen in the bright sun?

Q2: Can I get the flight recorder info and see what the various temperatures on the craft were?  The battery says it can be used up to 40 degrees C but that's just 104 F and I would not be surprised if, in the sun, under use, it exceeded that temperature.

Q2b: Does the Pilot App warn me if the battery or some other component gets too hot?

At the very very end of the flight, as I was landing, the compass threw a warning and needed recalibration but I was too busy watching the craft to fully see what the Pilot App was doing or telling me.

My iPhone also needed its compass recalibrated often during this time.  It kept popping up the screen to recalibrate it so I did.  The iPhone is new to me.  I've never seen that before.  The next day, before flying (morning time), I recalibrated the iPhone's compass (as well as the Inspire's).

DJI_0001.jpg
2015-6-10
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

Q1: I could not see my iPhone's screen at all.  How do folks shade it so you can see the screen in the bright sun?

A quick Amazon/Ebay search, even this forum, you will see shade recommendations - they are hit or miss. Standing in the shade works

"My iPhone also needed its compass recalibrated often during this time.  It kept popping up the screen to recalibrate it so I did.  The iPhone is new to me.  I've never seen that before.  The next day, before flying (morning time), I recalibrated the iPhone's compass (as well as the Inspire's)."

Never heard of this...
2015-6-10
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have seen my iPad start telling me it needs to be calibrated. I have always canceled it and moved on because I was not sure why my iPad needed to be calibrated. Maybe so the map info on the screen is more accurate as far as orientation but I am assuming it has nothing to do with the bird itself.

Houston
2015-6-10
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

houston Posted at 2015-6-11 00:11
I have seen my iPad start telling me it needs to be calibrated. I have always canceled it and moved  ...

I'm pretty sure that the iPhone will demand calibration whenever:

a) It deems itself NOT calibrated.
b) An app is using MapKit (which uses CoreLocation) or is using CoreLocation directly.

Basically, it's not likely that DJI Pilot needs a calibrated iPad / iPhone compass but because it's calling API's that can make use of the compass the iPad demands calibration. This is iOS asking this, not the DJI Pilot app. Occasionally Maps will ask for calibration as well using the same UI.

In all likelihood it's more than safe to cancel calibration if asked while using DJI Pilot.
2015-6-10
Use props
pedz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24898 ft
United States

Thanks guys.  Any ideas about Q2 and Q2b?  Can I get the temperature of the battery from the flight data?  Does the Pilot App warn me if things are getting too hot?
2015-6-10
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

pedz, I am not sure at all about your remaining questions.
2015-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules