OM3 + iPhone 11 Pro stutter in panning
6974 21 2019-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans348db79d
lvl.2
  • >>>

Hello,

Just bought an Osmo mobile 3 and tried with my brand new Iphone 11 Pro.
When i film in native app it is butter smooth but when i use the MIMO app it stutters while panning.
It drops frames and the recording is awful.
Offcourse i did the calibration etc.

It looks like the Mimo app is not compatible with the new iPhone's?
Active track works great but every panning is off and looks like the software can't handle it

What can i do or check?

Update:
- HD 60 fPS in MIMO app looks oke.
- 4K 30 FPS in in MIMO app a little bit drop frames
- 4K 60 fps in MIMO app looks awful while panning.
It is the same when opening the Mimo app standalone and not connected to the OM3.
When look at at the preview finder and panning the iPhone it is already stuttering...
2019-9-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>

I don't think that phone is on the approved list, so anything might happen.
2019-9-27
Use props
fans348db79d
lvl.2
  • >>>

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-27 02:02
I don't think that phone is on the approved list, so anything might happen.

i didn't know there is an approved list for this Gimbal?
But you are right. It is not on the list. The best iPhone on the Market is not on the list. Why?

I know why, it doesn't work!
Is there someone (moderator?) which can explain this to me and tell me if there will be an update for this phone?
Other people with iphone 11 Pro has this issue?
Because if this is the case, i must send the OM 3 right back in my return period
2019-9-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Upon checking the iPhone 11 Pro on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Osmo Mobile 3, I am sorry to say that this mobile device is still not yet recommended for your DJI Osmo Mobile 3 as of the moment. There is a  possibility that the iPhone 11 Pro will be able to work with the DJI Osmo Mobile 3. However, since it is not yet optimized with the said gimbal and with the DJI Mimo application we cannot guarantee if all the functionality of the said mobile device will work when in use. We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any inconvenience and any problem. If the problem persists after trying a compatible device, please send us a video showing the problem so we can check it further. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ibility_List_en.pdf
2019-9-27
Use props
TommyTurtle
lvl.1

I believe it's an iOS 13 issue as I have the same problem on my iPhone X since updating to 13.
2019-9-27
Use props
darrins
lvl.4

When you choose the super wide new camera on the Pro, do you see the gimbal or motor in the frame? Very curious.
2019-9-28
Use props
fans348db79d
lvl.2
  • >>>

darrins Posted at 9-28 10:58
When you choose the super wide new camera on the Pro, do you see the gimbal or motor in the frame? Very curious.

No,not in my tests
2019-9-30
Use props
fans348db79d
lvl.2
  • >>>

TommyTurtle Posted at 9-27 23:40
I believe it's an iOS 13 issue as I have the same problem on my iPhone X since updating to 13.

That could be the case, indeed.
But then everybody should have this stuttering.
Can't find more posts about this?!
2019-9-30
Use props
darrins
lvl.4

fans348db79d Posted at 9-30 06:44
That could be the case, indeed.
But then everybody should have this stuttering.
Can't find more posts about this?!

Is the actual gimbal motor stuttering or do you just see stuttering in the picture/video on the iPhone? Because yesterday I shot a bunch of videos with my Pro Max and my new OM3 using Filmic Pro. I used 4k60 and filmic extreme and the video i saw on the phone screen was choppy and stuttering while recording, but later on when playing back they looked great and smooth.
2019-9-30
Use props
fans348db79d
lvl.2
  • >>>

darrins Posted at 9-30 15:47
Is the actual gimbal motor stuttering or do you just see stuttering in the picture/video on the iPhone? Because yesterday I shot a bunch of videos with my Pro Max and my new OM3 using Filmic Pro. I used 4k60 and filmic extreme and the video i saw on the phone screen was choppy and stuttering while recording, but later on when playing back they looked great and smooth.

I see it in the picture/video on the iPhone.
The recorded video is also stuttering so what i see is what it records.

Could you do me a great favour?
Would you record something on the DJI Mimo app on 4K60 and:
- Fast  horizontal panning
- Look if it is choppy/stutter  on the viewfinder.
- Look if its record the stuttering.
Trying to find if it is my iPhone who is faulty or the software ( I don't have Filmic pro)

Hope to hear your results
Thanks in advance!
2019-10-1
Use props
darrins
lvl.4

fans348db79d Posted at 10-1 10:17
I see it in the picture/video on the iPhone.
The recorded video is also stuttering so what i see is what it records.

Sorry, but I didn't have any free time today. I will try tomorrow. But if the iPhone camera app worked fine, I am sure the problem is with the DJI app and Filmic Pro. Your iPhone is not the problem. We'll have to give these companies a little time to fix their apps to work properly with the new hardware and take advantage of the new processor. Personally I am never going to use the MIMO app for recording. I open it, make any settings changes and then switch to either the native camera app or Filmic. Keep in mind that DJI has to make a generic app that will run on a ton of phones, they can’t focus just on the newest iPhone. Even Filmic needs to make sure their app works on all types of phones. Only Apple can tweak the OS for the new devices. At least that's what I think.
2019-10-1
Use props
fans348db79d
lvl.2
  • >>>

darrins Posted at 10-1 19:46
Sorry, but I didn't have any free time today. I will try tomorrow. But if the iPhone camera app worked fine, I am sure the problem is with the DJI app and Filmic Pro. Your iPhone is not the problem. We'll have to give these companies a little time to fix their apps to work properly with the new hardware and take advantage of the new processor. Personally I am never going to use the MIMO app for recording. I open it, make any settings changes and then switch to either the native camera app or Filmic. Keep in mind that DJI has to make a generic app that will run on a ton of phones, they can’t focus just on the newest iPhone. Even Filmic needs to make sure their app works on all types of phones. Only Apple can tweak the OS for the new devices. At least that's what I think.

I agree. Normally i film with the native app. But the issue is that sometimes i need a recording with a frame rate of 50Fps (=Europe) and the native app can't do this unfortunately.
In the past i used i.e. Marvis, DJI Mimo, Moment. for this. ( Bad experience with Filmic Pro a couple of years ago, so maybe i must try it again)
Moment already has a new update released for iOS13. Still this one is not smooth when fast panning left and right, like the other apps which are not updated yet. I sended an email to Moment and they didn't had the same experience as me.

So for now i want to find out if someone else has also the stutter before i go to an apple store.
And because i know you have the DJI MiMo app, that would be a great test.
So if you have the time please film in the MiMo app and do a fast horizontal panning.
Really want to know if it is choppy/stuttering in your case.
Thank you in advance!
2019-10-2
Use props
darrins
lvl.4

fans348db79d Posted at 10-2 02:46
I agree. Normally i film with the native app. But the issue is that sometimes i need a recording with a frame rate of 50Fps (=Europe) and the native app can't do this unfortunately.
In the past i used i.e. Marvis, DJI Mimo, Moment. for this. ( Bad experience with Filmic Pro a couple of years ago, so maybe i must try it again)
Moment already has a new update released for iOS13. Still this one is not smooth when fast panning left and right, like the other apps which are not updated yet. I sended an email to Moment and they didn't had the same experience as me.

Which lens should I use for this test? I remember people seeing stuttering and problems with gimbals and fast panning because of the iPhone stabilization messing up the video while on a gimbal. Because you can't turn off the stabilization. Like on a standard camera you can turn off the stabilization. A good test for you would be to test fast panning with the normal wide camera and then using the ultra wide, which doesn't have stabilization. Also, just a note, some people can see the stabilization stutter and it ruins the video for them and other people don’t even see it.
2019-10-2
Use props
darrins
lvl.4

Ok, just finished testing this. I get the exact same results as you. When I used the DJI app and panned side to side, I could see very visibly the stuttering, like it was missing frames. When I replayed the footage I saw the same stuttering. Then I opened the native camera app and did the exact same movements and wow, buttery smooth. No stuttering at all. No problems while shooting or after when viewing the footage. The DJI app for now is only good for setting up the gimbal with the settings you want. I’ll be using the native camera app or Filmic for now.
Edit: I wonder if Apple is doing something with the ultra wide camera to smooth out the video. I used the normal wide lens for my testing on both apps. But the Camera app was super smooth.
2019-10-2
Use props
fans348db79d
lvl.2
  • >>>

darrins Posted at 10-2 10:56
Ok, just finished testing this. I get the exact same results as you. When I used the DJI app and panned side to side, I could see very visibly the stuttering, like it was missing frames. When I replayed the footage I saw the same stuttering. Then I opened the native camera app and did the exact same movements and wow, buttery smooth. No stuttering at all. No problems while shooting or after when viewing the footage. The DJI app for now is only good for setting up the gimbal with the settings you want. I’ll be using the native camera app or Filmic for now.
Edit: I wonder if Apple is doing something with the ultra wide camera to smooth out the video. I used the normal wide lens for my testing on both apps. But the Camera app was super smooth.

Darrins,

Thank you very much for the test. I appreciate it!
"Glad" to hear you have the same results and that it is not only me.
Hopefully it can be fixed with software later on.

But yeah, the native camera app is buttery smooth. All the other video apps i own have the same kind of stuttering/missing frames while panning.

You early mentioned that Filmic Pro does not have this issue?
When record with Filmic, also buttery smooth, like the native app?
If so, then i will need to try/buy that app again

2019-10-3
Use props
darrins
lvl.4

fans348db79d Posted at 10-3 03:18
Darrins,

Thank you very much for the test. I appreciate it!

With Filmic I also saw the choppy video while recording but it looked smooth when I played it back. Let me test it again tomorrow before I make you spend money.

The iPhone camera app is apparently super sophisticated. I was listening to MacBreak Weekly and I believe it was Rene Ritchie saying that the iPhone 11 was able to tell if the iPhone was handheld or on a tripod and will adjust itself depending on the situation. He (or someone on the panel) was talking about night mode photos, but it could be that for video it also adjusts itself based on whether or not it is stabilized. I think our best bet is to use the native app for now.
2019-10-3
Use props
fans348db79d
lvl.2
  • >>>

darrins Posted at 10-3 19:07
With Filmic I also saw the choppy video while recording but it looked smooth when I played it back. Let me test it again tomorrow before I make you spend money.

The iPhone camera app is apparently super sophisticated. I was listening to MacBreak Weekly and I believe it was Rene Ritchie saying that the iPhone 11 was able to tell if the iPhone was handheld or on a tripod and will adjust itself depending on the situation. He (or someone on the panel) was talking about night mode photos, but it could be that for video it also adjusts itself based on whether or not it is stabilized. I think our best bet is to use the native app for now.

Darrins,

Indeed, if you could test Filmic Pro once again, i would appreciate it!
Don't want to buy it if it is the same or similar like the other apps.
Thanks again!
2019-10-4
Use props
fans5ea6d1eb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8140387 ft
  • >>>

I’m having the same sort of issue as well when I livestream with my O3, I’m using an iPhone 8+ with IOS 13.1.2 and my video pixelates and lags
2019-10-5
Use props
NYSubway18
lvl.1
United States

Just got the Osmo mobile 3, and the video from it is unusable if I record in the Mimo app.  Is DJI going to catch up to the 11Pro soon, or should I just return this thing?  The power of the new iphone is the only reason I bought this.  The stutter is absurd in panning, and the video recorded with the mimo app has all sorts of crazy frame rates... what's up with that? I set to 60fps and I've got 50.34, 50.45, 51.51, 55.22, 55.29, 55.49, 57.21 just to name a few! Two timelapses came in at a rock solid 30.00 and a bunch of videos I did with the camera app because I can't use the wide-angle in the 11 Pro with the Mimo app (really? wth) came in at 29.97... so I need to change that, but at least it was consistent.  But a simple 4K pan drops all sorts of frames and is a stuttery mess.  I also noticed the red button was extremely flakey and inconsistent in actually working.  Sometimes it worked... sometimes I'd do a whole move only to realize it hadn't actually started recording... or other times I couldn't get it to stop.  I saw the stutters live, and was hoping it was just a monitoring issue on the phone in the app... but after pulling the footage into Premiere, it's definitely there.  
2019-11-12
Use props
djiuser_roMTqf5v3yWB
New
India

I am facing same issue with my pixel2 ,panning is jittery with both apps google and mimo ,Its not software issue, gimbal motor is not turning smoothly while panning.
2019-11-21
Use props
Zubin
New

Maldives

In my tests when I playback on my iPhone 11 Pro its really smooth. On QuickTime on my Mac frames drop at different times and its not consistent. Looks like the video is captured ok but the playback has issues. Same issue when I import to iMovie as well. There is shuttering at different times on the timeline. This seems to be a riddle
2019-12-10
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Zubin Posted at 12-10 01:28
In my tests when I playback on my iPhone 11 Pro its really smooth. On QuickTime on my Mac frames drop at different times and its not consistent. Looks like the video is captured ok but the playback has issues. Same issue when I import to iMovie as well. There is shuttering at different times on the timeline. This seems to be a riddle

Have you tried rename the file from MP4 to MOV before you play back.
2019-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules