Osmo Action not an action camera
4169 33 2019-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanseba42e89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249213 ft

Took my Action on vacation. Despite keeping it in a case in between uses  and in a waterproof case for anything near the water or remotely active I’ve still managed to crack the lens. How on earth could this happen. I’ve used GoPro’s since the early days and never had a casualty.
Has anyone else noticed this fragility ?
Generally happy with the results but this is far too fragile to be considered useful for anything remotely action related.
On a positive note had a good experience with the Osmo Pocket underwater case. Fared better than the action !!!

Wonder if DJI will send me a new lens?

3BFBA21B-9683-4096-B4CA-E1B587FFFA2D.jpeg
D4D8C908-936F-4FA9-8578-4B32E334BD2F.jpeg
05CBF1F9-3215-48BF-82AD-32A77DC9293B.jpeg
2019-9-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry to know what happened to the lens of your DJI Osmo Action. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. I would recommend you to contact our DJI Support Team for further assistance with regards to this issue. In addition the said DJI Osmo Action Lens Filter Cap is available for purchase on our DJI Online Store ( https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-action-lens-filter-cap ). Just a friendly reminder that although the DJI Osmo Action is durable, it also should be noted that it is a precision instrument. So please protect the DJI Osmo Action when using it in a harsh environment. Thank you.
2019-9-29
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-29 15:30
Hello and good day. I am sorry to know what happened to the lens of your DJI Osmo Action. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. I would recommend you to contact our DJI Support Team for further assistance with regards to this issue. In addition the said DJI Osmo Action Lens Filter Cap is available for purchase on our DJI Online Store ( https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-action-lens-filter-cap ). Just a friendly reminder that although the DJI Osmo Action is durable, it also should be noted that it is a precision instrument. So please protect the DJI Osmo Action when using it in a harsh environment. Thank you.

As per above I’ve been keeping it in a case and a waterproof case, what more could I have done.
I’ve got an idea, I’ll pay for an item to replace that one that’s not fit for purpose. Great customer service DJI
2019-9-29
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

As per above I’ve been keeping it in a case and a waterproof case, what more could I have done.
I’ve got an idea, I’ll pay for an item to replace that one that’s not fit for purpose. Great customer service DJI
2019-9-29
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer

fanseba42e89 Posted at 9-29 15:59
I’ve got an idea, I’ll pay for an item to replace that one that’s not fit for purpose. Great customer service DJI

When did this crack appear?

Was it in the waterproof case?

The soft case?

How snuggly does it fit in either?

2019-9-29
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer

Hello and good day. I am sorry to know what happened to the lens of your DJI Osmo Action. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. I would recommend you to contact our DJI Support Team for further assistance with regards to this issue. In addition the said DJI Osmo Action Lens Filter Cap is available for purchase on our DJI Online Store ( https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-action-lens-filter-cap ). Just a friendly reminder that although the DJI Osmo Action is durable, it also should be noted that it is a precision instrument. So please protect the DJI Osmo Action when using it in a harsh environment. Thank you.

"Abrasion and dust-resistant with an anti-fingerprint coating that protects against liquids."

But, is it crack resistant?
2019-9-29
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

The waterproof case is a snug fit and cannot move about. The shell carry case has a small amount of room but once I wrap the action in a lens cloth it’s pretty snug but not tight so it’s  squashed.
I wish I knew when it happened. I don’t remember hitting it against anything.  Concerns me a so called action camera cannot take any real use let alone snorkelling, mountain biking or any physical action in the real world without inflicting damage.
2019-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

That is sad to hear.
2019-9-30
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer

fanseba42e89 Posted at 9-29 18:33
The waterproof case is a snug fit and cannot move about. The shell carry case has a small amount of room but once I wrap the action in a lens cloth it’s pretty snug but not tight so it’s  squashed.
I wish I knew when it happened. I don’t remember hitting it against anything.  Concerns me a so called action camera cannot take any real use let alone snorkelling, mountain biking or any physical action in the real world without inflicting damage.

What is this little anomoly? I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like it could be from an impact.

Is it possible that something my have banged against it, unknown to you?
crack.jpg
2019-9-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Did DJI send you a new lens or did they off you a discount?
2019-9-30
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer

It would be a nice gesture if DJI did send you a goodwill gesture lens cover, however it does look as though it has had impact damage by the outer ring.

You do get instances of thermal stress’s cracking glass like oven doors, but it doesn’t look like this.

I agree it’s frustrating after taking care with using cases etc ... but at least this is an easily replaceable part of the camera.
2019-9-30
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

MKosmo Posted at 9-30 09:02
It would be a nice gesture if DJI did send you a goodwill gesture lens cover, however it does look as though it has had impact damage by the outer ring.

You do get instances of thermal stress’s cracking glass like oven doors, but it doesn’t look like this.

It looks like a little crack at the side but then there are two fracture lines coming from the crack across the whole of the lens. I’ve been so careful keeping it in the two cases and I don’t remember any impact. It must be so fragile and therefore not fit for purpose as an Action camera. Never had any issues with GoPro’s or my Osmo pocket. Bizarre.
2019-9-30
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

Curt1591 Posted at 9-30 01:34
What is this little anomoly? I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like it could be from an impact.

Is it possible that something my have banged against it, unknown to you?[Image]
That’s the crack and from that area are two fracture lines across the whole lens.
Funnily enough nothing positive from DJI.
2019-9-30
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer

fanseba42e89 Posted at 9-30 13:06
That’s the crack and from that area are two fragile lines across the whole lens.
Funnily enough nothing positive from DJI.
Like I said, it appears to be from an inpact.

DJI Stephen gave the link to a replacement.
2019-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>

Not good news
2019-9-30
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

Not at all. So fragile.
2019-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

fanseba42e89 Posted at 10-1 06:16
Not at all. So fragile.

I see your point is Osmo action is not an action camera because you cracked the lens Cover, or as you think the crack just grew there itself, how many other people do you see around complaining about the phantom cracks in their OA, I’ll tell you, you are the only one and as others have said you obviously knocked the glass causing it to crack and that’s what happens when your not being careful, suck it up and get on with it or are you the only one with the fragile OA .
2019-10-1
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

hallmark007 Posted at 10-1 06:58
I see your point is Osmo action is not an action camera because you cracked the lens Cover, or as you think the crack just grew there itself, how many other people do you see around complaining about the phantom cracks in their OA, I’ll tell you, you are the only one and as others have said you obviously knocked the glass causing it to crack and that’s what happens when your not being careful, suck it up and get on with it or are you the only one with the fragile OA .

How polite. I’ve owned  GoPros since inception. Kept the OA in two cases because of OTHER posts about fragility. I am aware that a crack doesn’t grow itself, just as an action camera it should be able to take day to day use without damage like this. My Osmo Pocket and Mavic appears more robust. Get over yourself small man
2019-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

fanseba42e89 Posted at 10-1 11:57
How polite. I’ve owned  GoPros since inception. Kept the OA in two cases because of OTHER posts about fragility. I am aware that a crack doesn’t grow itself, just as an action camera it should be able to take day to day use without damage like this. My Osmo Pocket and Mavic appears more robust. Get over yourself small man

I think it’s you who Ed’s to get over yourself, glass breaks I’ve owned many go pros and I’ve managed to break two lens covers but I didn’t go crying to go pro trying to denigrate their product thinking I’d get a free lens, be responsible, you don’t see anyone else whinging and whining around here about OA not been an action camera that’s just rubbish .
2019-10-1
Use props
Mr Monio
lvl.4

You keep referring to this mishap as the lens crack, but that's just its cover, so you are blowing the whole thing out of proportion. I like this modular design, where no additional protectors are needed.
2019-10-1
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer

Mr Monio Posted at 10-1 14:03
You keep referring to this mishap as the lens crack, but that's just its cover, so you are blowing the whole thing out of proportion. I like this modular design, where no additional protectors are needed.

An easily replaced cover at that.
2019-10-1
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer

That's NOT the lens!  It's just the cover which has definite signs of impact damage.  I've seen exactly the same on car windscreens caused by impacts.
2019-10-1
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>

My 0.02 ... If it's truly an impact, then the outer (metal ?) ring should show signs of the impact as well. If however the damage is only with the glass, then I have hard time believing it's an impact. Time for a desktop stereo microscope to investigate ... though that's far pricier than buying another cover. Though, I'd rather have the cover shatter and not the lens itself.
2019-10-1
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

Update. I’ve had it looked at by a Leica engineer and after examination his opinion is the damage was caused by overheating stress not impact.
Make of that what you will.
2019-10-4
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3

How did it get so hot?
2019-10-4
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer

Between the batteries, the transfers, and other processing, these little devices get plenty hot.
2019-10-4
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 10-4 00:40
How did it get so hot?

Didn’t notice it extremely hot. When it was in the marine case it was in water which would have provided some cooling. Rather alarmed it could generate enough heat to internally crack the glass.
2019-10-4
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer

fanseba42e89 Posted at 10-4 01:48
Didn’t notice it extremely hot. When it was in the marine case it was in water which would have provided some cooling. Rather alarmed it could generate enough heat to internally crack the glass.

If that is indeed what happened.
2019-10-4
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer

Maybe inside the marine case you end up with hotspots that don’t exist to the same extent in free air cooling.

Also I wonder if the fact the lens cover is on VERY tightly by default contributes.

Either way, might be a good precaution if you don’t have filters to take a spare lens cover, just in case for those important shoots.
2019-10-4
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft

Ow. That's annoying. Fortunately, it's just a protective cover for the lens and unscrews. I hope a replacement does not cost much. I'll be careful with mine.
2019-10-4
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

MKosmo Posted at 10-4 02:51
Maybe inside the marine case you end up with hotspots that don’t exist to the same extent in free air cooling.

Also I wonder if the fact the lens cover is on VERY tightly by default contributes.

That’s what I was thinking. I hadn’t touched the lens cover. Must have been attached too tightly by default.
2019-10-4
Use props
Hdrider
lvl.1
Belgium

The first lens cover was broken, new ordered after 1 hour video recording was also broken.
2021-2-17
Use props
Hdrider
lvl.1
Belgium

Hdrider Posted at 2-17 08:51
The first lens cover was broken, new ordered after 1 hour video recording was also broken.

New lens cover after 2 X 1 hour recording at home lens cover broken back.
Lens cover gets very hot.
2021-2-19
Use props
notnowkato
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2351102 ft
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 2019-10-4 02:51

Also I wonder if the fact the lens cover is on VERY tightly by default contributes.

I just bought one and an very pleased. I had to check how the lens cover was removed and it seems, by default, they are on tight , very tight, maybe some experience internal stress but replacements for £19 seems not unreasonable, I'm buying a couple.
2021-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules