Mavic Air Controller Sending False Signal
4539 12 2019-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Janonymus
lvl.1

Hi,

One day to another my drone started to spinning randomly during flying upward or downward.
Yesterday I relaized not the motor causing the random spinning of the drone but the left analog stick of the controller.
I tried to recalibrate the controller several times, but no success.
As you can seen in the video, when I moving the left stick up and down, the controller sending randomly left or right turning signals.

So I almost sure the problem is the left analog stick, but is there any solution for this problem?
Where can I get replacement part for the controller?
Unfortunately the warranty of my dron has been expired.

Thanks in advance,
Janos

2019-9-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I don't think DJI sell them but there's no shortage on ebay for around £100.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJI-Mavic-Air-Remote-Controller/163865332845?hash=item2627228c6d:g:ZeMAAOSw4rVdf71x
2019-9-30
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft

Hi! Left turn - yes, there is. I did not notice a turn to the right. If the warranty has already expired, you can open the RC. It is very likely that there is no reliable contact of the left joystick. Try to solder yourself.
2019-9-30
Use props
Janonymus
lvl.1

It also seems like the backlash of the left analog stick is bigger than the right one.
2019-9-30
Use props
Janonymus
lvl.1

DAFlys Posted at 9-30 05:35
I don't think DJI sell them but there's no shortage on ebay for around £100.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJI-Mavic-Air-Remote-Controller/163865332845?hash=item2627228c6d:g:ZeMAAOSw4rVdf71x

I don't want to buy another controller, I would like to repair it.
I little soldering is not a problem for me.
2019-9-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Janos. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and to know that you are having issues with the remote controller of your DJI Mavic Air. Since you have calibrated the said remote controller several time and did some troubleshooting steps but still the issue still persist. I would recommend you to contact our DJI support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. Just a friendly reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said remote controlller. To avoid further damaging the said unit. Thank for your understanding and for your support.
2019-9-30
Use props
Adventures in Oz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 725961 ft
Australia

Hi mine behaves strange like this also, doesnt matter what mode im in, if i push forwards on right stick it will rise or veer left or right at random, if i recaibrate the controller it stops for a short period of time then starts doing it again, have refreshed firmwares have tried atti and sports mode both do it same as normal mode if i turn apas off it still does it or if its on. Its behavior is like the sticks are sending random up or down or left or right commands from time to time come to think of it my issue started after the second last firmware update.
2019-10-30
Use props
Janonymus
lvl.1

Hungary

[SOLVED]
I recorded the process of repairing.

2019-11-2
Use props
Willsy
New

New Zealand

This fix may have ACTUALLY WORKED!! YAY!

My drone worked as normal for several months until one day out of the blue I too had these issues start. Symptoms as follows.

* Mavic Air controller started insessently whining *beep beep beep* immediately after most power-ons. The only fix to my sanity was to re-run the joystick calibration, this stopped the constant beeping - albeit only TEMPORARILY - the next time i'd power up the controller I had to go through it all again!!

* Mavic Air controller joysticks and gimbal wheel signals were cross contaminating with other inputs.
For Example:
- Sometimes i'd move the gimbal wheel down and the Drone would turn left or right. This was visible in the calibration screen.
- Sometimes i'd move the left joystick up and I would get an opposite or mirrored response on the right joystick (or vice versa), resulting in some frustratingly un-flyable scenarios. This was completely random and would change all the time, sometimes the effect was weak, sometimes everything worked FINE! Other times a push on one joystick resulted in a stronger response on the other joystick. Really frustrating!

No amount of calibrations, factory resets or firmware upgrades fixed the issues. This drove me to almost sell my Mavic Air due to the utter frustration it caused.

My Mavic Air is out of warranty so I've just recently attempted the DIY repair explained above this post. I can confirm that opening the DJI controller and lubricating the springs/connections on each Joystick has made a significant improvement to the insessent beeping upon power-up. Before the calibration alarm was occurring about 9 in every 10 power-ons, always requiring an immediate re-calibration to shut it up. Now, after applying lubricant to the internals of both joysticks, only one calibration was required initially, then SILENCE and no further calibrations since!!!!!

As for the input signal contamination, It's too early to tell after applying the fix but so far several flights have been attempted post fix and absolutely no cross signal contamination is evident! Fingers crossed.

As for the fix itself, don't attempt this if you're Mavic is covered by warranty! But If you have no choice, it's worth doing. The fix seems daunting at first but honestly isn't too complicated, can be done in 30-45mins.
2019-11-8
Use props
EdwardArthurDalton
New
United States

Willsy Posted at 2019-11-8 23:23

My drone worked as normal for several months until one day out of the blue I too had these issues start. Symptoms as follows.

What did you use as “lubrication”? I am experiencing this same issue with my Mavic Air RC, as are countless others. DJI support has been so utterly useless that I am to the point of filing a class action complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the FAA because DJI is ignoring this manufacture defect. It is a commonly occurring malfunction with a batch of the Mavic Air RC’s. The fact that these remotes cause involuntarily movement without joystick Input is a huge safety liability for DJI. I’m sure if complaints were made to the mentioned authorities, they would force DJI to recall them like they should have already, regardless of warranty status.
2020-1-2
Use props
Kusanagi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47103 ft

Philippines

EdwardArthurDalton Posted at 1-2 19:23
What did you use as “lubrication”? I am experiencing this same issue with my Mavic Air RC, as are countless others. DJI support has been so utterly useless that I am to the point of filing a class action complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the FAA because DJI is ignoring this manufacture defect. It is a commonly occurring malfunction with a batch of the Mavic Air RC’s. The fact that these remotes cause involuntarily movement without joystick Input is a huge safety liability for DJI. I’m sure if complaints were made to the mentioned authorities, they would force DJI to recall them like they should have already, regardless of warranty status.

hardware remote issue, either clean your joysticks or change
2020-2-6
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Willsy Posted at 2019-11-8 23:23

My drone worked as normal for several months until one day out of the blue I too had these issues start. Symptoms as follows.

"Sometimes i'd move the gimbal wheel down and the Drone would turn left or right. "

Happens to me.
2020-2-6
Use props
djiuser_f6R8De47hCdA
New

United States

EdwardArthurDalton Posted at 2020-1-2 19:23

The false/erroneous stick from the RC is a manufacturing defect- it is dangerous & a BIG company like DJI should be held accountable for the issue & do a recall- ASAP & face liability fod the danger.
2021-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules