Phantom 3 advanced Follow me
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trixstah
New

Hi I'm relatively new to the forum, well very new. Ive just started trying to use advanced flight modes on my Phantom 3 advanced after finally updating the firmware on both the ac and the rc. I tried using follow me mode and it refused to work giving me the mission conflict error, I then figured my mobile data was switched off on my samsung galaxy s9 so i rectified that and got a strong gps signal when i opened the follow me mode. I lifted the drone to 50m and everything seemed as if it was fine when i clicked apply, I have 18 satellites in the app but the drone refuses to move. I have tried looking on here for relevant solutions, and the only thing i found was that it was perhaps the phone im using or that the dji go app version (which is the most up to date) has some issues, can anyone clarify or potentially help me troubleshoot my issue.
Thank you for any help in advance, and i will attempt to reply to anyone that does so promptly and clearly
2019-10-1
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

I've never seen a "mission conflict error".  Are you able to upload a picture here?  Where do you see that message?

For follow me to work, it requires a separate GPS receiver in the phone/mobile device.  Your Phantom has multiple systems which is combined into a single "GPS" system.  The position information is sent to the app and updated as it moves around.  Follow-me requires that the position of the mobile device is known, separately and in addition to the aircraft.  As you move, the position of the aircraft is examined with respect to the new position of the remote unit, and the heading/direction and distance is updated.

What you will find is that some mobile devices have poor GPS systems and have a hard time getting an accurate satellite lock.  It is almost invariably worse than the strong lock the aircraft gets.  The aircraft also has the advantage it flies higher than most obstructions that ground-based receivers encounter, so it has a clearer view of the sky.  You should first really confirm you have a good GPS lock on your mobile device.  Try running a Maps app and see if it shows your location accurately and within a tight radius.   Even though your map app might work on your phone, it may still be providing poor quality data for the Go app.  I assume your phone actually has dedicated GPS receiver hardware built in.  Not all phones do.

The fact you said you had to enable data to get a GPS signal suggests your phone doesn't have dedicated GPS, or it was turned off, or it didn't have a good view of the sky.  By turning on data, the phone is able to calculate is position by reference to phone cell towers and wifi hotspots.  This is often called augmented GPS.  It isn't getting ANY information from GPS satellites.  Typically this isn't as accurate as the satellite data, but when used in conjunction with poor satellite signal positioning data, it can improve the accuracy.  It can also work on its own without true GPS reception, but as I mentioned it isn't terribly accurate.

In your case, I'm sure the aircraft position is updated correctly as you move it around.  However as your device is moved around, its position isn't being updated and sent to the app.  If you look at the map on the app, you should see two arrows, one representing the aircraft and one representing "me" (the mobile device).  Both should move and change direction and distance as you physically move around.  If your mobile marker isn't moving, I'd suggest you aren't receiving sufficient GPS information on that device, which in turn isn't being sent to the app.  Only when both signals are received and compared within the app can it calculate a new path/distance/heading to be sent to the aircraft.

I'd try again in a different area with different terrain (also perhaps with more or less wifi devices).  You could also try a different mobile device to see if there is any difference.  You should be able to work it out by a process of elimination.

In my case, when I use "follow-me", my device is a cheaper wifi-only iPad which does NOT have GPS built in.  I do however have a separate bluetooth GPS device.  That device sends its GPS position to the app for the "home" position.  I can do a follow-me flight by having the aircraft follow the bluetooth device (not the aircraft remote controller/mobile device combo).  I can then get footage from the aircraft of a person moving about who is not holding a remote or device, with the bluetooth receiver hidden in their pocket.  The actual pilot can remain out of the shot.  FYI, the bluetooth GPS is slightly "special" to work with Apple iOS (read: expensive) so a cheap dollar-store device won't work.  Your mileage might vary on Android.  I'm just putting this out there as an alternative if your phone GPS isn't working properly or at all.

Hope that works.  Good luck.
2019-10-2
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

The P3 generally uses 2 GPS positions to ability follow the pilot via RC/Mobile. 1st point is the Mobile(the point of the pilot) and the copters position (built in of the AC) to hold the exact distance and direction to the pilot. Set the app use GPS if you use the Go app.  Lift the AC not more than 25 meters and bring it to 20-30 meters distance to you. Then you start the F-FM via F mode on RC and App. If the RC-AC refuses the function then look for the exact message. I hope,what of P3S rules helps you on P3A too.
2019-10-2
Use props
Trixstah
New

Peterx Posted at 10-2 04:22
The P3 generally uses 2 GPS positions to ability follow the pilot via RC/Mobile. 1st point is the Mobile(the point of the pilot) and the copters position (built in of the AC) to hold the exact distance and direction to the pilot. Set the app use GPS if you use the Go app.  Lift the AC not more than 25 meters and bring it to 20-30 meters distance to you. Then you start the F-FM via F mode on RC and App. If the RC-AC refuses the function then look for the exact message. I hope,what of P3S rules helps you on P3A too.

Thank you for the response, i will certainly try what you have said, its incredibly windy today so i hope i can give it a shot tomorrow. I'll keep you posted
2019-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules