Mavic 2 pro crash help (flight record)
1850 13 2019-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QuanDar
lvl.2
  • >>>

Hello,

I recently crashed my drone into a mountain tree. Feel really stupid about that, but I wonder why the sensors did not pick up anything. Could not get my drone back and feel really sad about it because I can't afford a new one till I'm done with school next month. Trusted the sensors a lot and did not pick DJI care. (feels double stupid) Should I get the Skydio 2? I don't trush the mavic 2 pro sensors at all  anymore. First mistake and last mistake, never needed the sensors  before (no not lying, I really needed them never before, flying drones for a pretty long time before DJI).

I wonder if someone could check my flight record and tell me why the sensors did not pick up anything:

Flightrecord:
https://1drv.ms/t/s!AmjK4w-SYFsmqORuQLRibIWLR89WYQ?e=JpbY4W

2019-10-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>

HIya,

Had a look at your flightlog and your video.

Looks like your MP2 flew backwards into some tree branches at top of a tree. Apparantly the sensor did look through the branches....
Obstacle sensors are 100% (oke, 99%) accurate in sensing a stone vertical wall in front of the sensor, but far less for branches etc.
Flying backwards and not in LOS is mayby not wise to do.

Sorry for your loss.

cheers
JJB

2019-10-1
Use props
QuanDar
lvl.2
  • >>>

JJB* Posted at 10-1 23:04
HIya,

Had a look at your flightlog and your video.

Thank you for the fast check and response. To bad the sensors don't pick up branches. Checked YouTube, people seem to crash a lot into branches with active track. It's weird, because in most places you are not even alowed to fly inside towns or cities, only nature (forests). Hope they fix that with the mavic 3 because these sensors are pretty useless.

Is there any way to buy the mavic 2 pro without the remote for cheaper?

2019-10-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

If you fly too fast things won't get picked up.  My M2Z picked up rear branches when I wasn't paying attention framing a shot going backwards.  I think I was in tripod mode to be safe.  The Skydio 2 will be interesting but I will be keeping all my DJI equipment.  Ordered an Inspire 1 Pro for some fun.

2019-10-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi QuanDar, sorry to read the accident. If the unit is under warranty period, please kindly start a case here: https://www.dji.com/support We'll arrange data analysis and offer you a proper solution.
2019-10-2
Use props
QuanDar
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI Susan Posted at 10-2 02:19
Hi QuanDar, sorry to read the accident. If the unit is under warranty period, please kindly start a case here: https://www.dji.com/support We'll arrange data analysis and offer you a proper solution.

Hello, do you mean a DJI repair case? I completely lost the drone at the mountain. Should I still open a case?
2019-10-2
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>

As others have said, sensors aren't as accurate as one might think but they definitely work pretty efficiently. Several times they've prevented crashes into solid objects. I've tested going near branches in close/narrow areas and it definitely doesn't pick up branches. When flying around trees I keep a close eye and fly it within LOS.
Take it as a learned lesson and don't give up on DJI. Every lesson makes you a better pilot.
2019-10-2
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft

You didn't seem to be moving that fast at all.  I'm surprised that the obstacle sensor did not pick up the branches/trees behind the drone.  My Air brushed into branches (leafless) a few times.  The obstacle alarm went off, after the fact, but still at least picked it up.  Plus, it didn't tumble, it corrected itself.  Though, we can't really see what your drone had to contend with, as the branches/trees were out of shot.  Real sorry for your loss though man.
2019-10-2
Use props
SupCarlos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454193 ft
  • >>>

Something similar happened to me. Mine hit a tree... and the branches caught the drone. I too was suprised that the sensors did not pick up the tree branches. DJI's official answer was " Vision system cannot detect trees"
2019-10-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

QuanDar Posted at 10-2 02:56
Hello, do you mean a DJI repair case? I completely lost the drone at the mountain. Should I still open a case?

You should always open a case, yes this may have been an accident but I have seen dji offer up to 30% discount of a craft without RC, you also never know for certain which side of the coin dji will come down on, you have a chance a small one, they might find that sensors failed to work and award you warranty obviously best case scenario.
I wish you luck in your endeavor.
2019-10-2
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft

A (very expensive) lesson to be learnt is that you should never count on on-board sensors to help you avoid obstacles.

Flying backwards for such long distance was not a good idea because you couldn't control what was on the way.

Sorry for your loss, I hope you will get back to the hobby soon. Hallmark007 is right on opening a case. You might be given a chance to buy only the drone at a lower price.

2019-10-2
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Nice footage, sorry about  the crash.
2019-10-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

QuanDar Posted at 10-2 02:56

If the unit flyaways under warranty period, you can still contact our support to start a case, but it is not a repair case as the aircraft cannot be retrieved. Hope this helps.
2019-10-3
Use props
QuanDar
lvl.2
  • >>>

Thank you everyone for the responses and help, really appreciating that! If I knew the sensors would be this bad I would have never take a risk like that. First drone I take these risks because of the vision system. If it only works on flat services, DJI should communicate this way better. I get so many warning messages that are not really relevant, but these kind of things are not communicated well or am I wrong?

Only in the long documentation you have a bullet point:
The Upward Infrared Sensing System only detects straight line distances directly above the sensor and not the entire aircraft. Additionally, large obstacles such as roofs can be detected, but tiny obstacles such as leaves or electrical wires cannot. Fly with caution and do not rely solely on the Upward Infrared Sensing System to detect obstacles above the aircraft

Like how did I not know this from the start? (Additionally? Seems super important to me? Should be in fat thick cow letters) Why is this not in the quickstart manual? I will see what DJI still can do for me, but I'm not paying for a new mavic 2 for the moment or any other DJI drone untill it can detect smaller objects like the skydio 2.
2019-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules