Snorkling with Osmo Action, Underwater AWB or Custom Temperature?
4143 5 2019-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pratakosong
lvl.1
Flight distance : 173215 ft

Hi all,

I have been using the Osmo Action white balance in "Auto" mode during snorkeling.

But I realised there is a risk of colour temperature shifts when recording a movie clip.

I have updated to the latest firmware and there is a "Underwater AWB" option. Will there be a similar risk of colour temperature shifts?

Is it recommended to use Custom instead? Snorkeling depth is around 1-3 meters, blue waters. What would be a good colour temperature to use?

Thanks!
pratakosong

2019-10-2
Use props
peiter
lvl.4

As i understand it the underwater setting in action cameras ramp up the red colors you loose going under water. so in theory it should replace the red filter used otherwise.
BUT ! the red issue i an not sure if you see it that much just snorkeling at 1 - 3 meters, or if it is more pronounced in deeper water.
If it was me i would just experiment, going down and film the same thing again and again with different settings, and then use the one you like the best
2019-10-2
Use props
Clackers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1438999 ft

I have not updated my Action so I don't have underwater AWB.
I do a lot spearfishing and thought the AWB was really bad. It would change hues really rapidly in the first few meters, had to edit out all the start of my dives.
I have tried custom twice since. The first time I think I went 6500. it was too blue but at least no color shifts and a bit of PP looked pretty good.
I went out today and used 8200, this might be a little too much but looks really good, next time I will dial it down just a little. But am happy with todays outcome.
Colors stayed the same from  the surface down to about 6 meters.

Hows is the sound on yours? mine is rubbish while diving.
2019-10-2
Use props
pratakosong
lvl.1

Thanks for the inputs so far.

I think the red filter will generate a very reddish video because I am not snorkeling deep enough.

The Custom temperature setting seems promising. I believe the goal here is to have a constant colour, I can further fine tune the white balance during post productions.
I guess the Underwater AWB feature will be the backup.

Sound during snorkeling? All I have are some cracking and bubble sounds! I am wearing the easybreath snorkel mask but I didn't try to talk.
2019-10-2
Use props
Clackers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1438999 ft

LOL, not talking, but the quality of the sound like the bubbles. Mine sounds like its been recorded at a super high level
and sounds really cracklely or something. I will have to post a sample in a new thread.
2019-10-2
Use props
pratakosong
lvl.1

Oic, lol!

I have an Yi Lite action cam as well. I couldn't tell the difference for sound when I compare both underwater.
2019-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules