Skydio 2 competition
12Next >
7855 72 2019-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

How will the Skydio 2 affect the sales of the Mavic, and will DJI reduce the Mavic 2 series prices?
2019-10-3
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>

I don't think so. Skydio 2 is not part of DJI's products. Unless, DJI buys them out.
2019-10-3
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

Maxi3D Posted at 10-3 09:09
I don't think so. Skydio 2 is not part of DJI's products. Unless, DJI buys them out.

Usually, competition causes manufactured goods prices to come down, especially since the Skydio is made in the US and therefore free of import tariffs.
2019-10-3
Use props
Jason James
lvl.3
Flight distance : 827487 ft

ssylca44 Posted at 10-3 09:24
Usually, competition causes manufactured goods prices to come down, especially since the Skydio is made in the US and therefore free of import tariffs.

The Skydio looks very impressive to me and I think it will pressure DJI to lower prices a tad and offer some better promotions, BUT:

The Skydio isn't actually available yet, and won't have proven itself in the market, at least enough to give me confidence to buy one, until sometime in 2020... preorders placed today won't even "start to ship" in January 2010 according to their site.

Despite its super impressive smart features and AI enhancements, it still relies on wifi and has shorter battery life and won't be able to get some of the shots the Mavic 2 can and probably won't have as clear or reliable a connection as Ocusync can offer, at least not very far out. (From what I just gathered from a Skydio tutorial video I am assuming it uses a wifi connection).

Also, DJI doesn't "pre-launch" their products like this, taking orders months and months before the product is available, but that doesn't mean they don't have a smart new "Mavic mini" or whatever up their sleeve to spoil Skydio's party once they actually show up in stores.

I am incredibly interested in the  Skydio but I don't think it's a Mavic 2 killer, though it may be a Mavic air killer...
2019-10-3
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

Jason James Posted at 10-3 10:17
The Skydio looks very impressive to me and I think it will pressure DJI to lower prices a tad and offer some better promotions, BUT:

The Skydio isn't actually available yet, and won't have proven itself in the market, at least enough to give me confidence to buy one, until sometime in 2020... preorders placed today won't even "start to ship" in January 2010 according to their site.

Hi Jason,
I agree with most of your comments, but I am looking for an actual flight review of the Skydio. AI technology vs sensors is definitely the future.
2019-10-3
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>

Jason James Posted at 10-3 10:17

The Skydio isn't actually available yet, and won't have proven itself in the market, at least enough to give me confidence to buy one, until sometime in 2020... preorders placed today won't even "start to ship" in January 2010 according to their site.
Actually I don’t really think this is a M2P or an MA competitor at all. This is something very different.  A drone that is built around obstacle avoidance and an AI supercomputer.   DJI builds drones with afterthought obstacle avoidance, and they are fantastic at what they do.  This is an upstart American company that has been working on obstacle avoidance and unmanned flight for the better part of a decade.  This is version 2.0.  Also, if you ordered on the first day, you would have reserved one for the November launch... they explained first come first serve.  They sold out of the limited run on the first day...
2019-10-3
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft

Won't affect because Skydio 32 has other market and purpose.
2019-10-3
Use props
MrTitan
lvl.4
  • >>>

Skydio 2 is certainly looking impressive, but I’d doubt it will have a significant impact on DJI’s drone sales over the next 12 months. I’m sure the technology, and team behind it, have already had an impact on DJI though - who must be impressed and more than a little concerned.  The drone industry changes extremely fast due to many factors (legality, costs, improvements in tech, general interest etc.), and sale growth is said to be slowing as the market begins to reach saturation.  

DJI have already cleverly catered for every tier of the standard drone market, but the expectations of customers alters extremely quickly.  For example, it looks like DJI will Be replacing the Spark with a 3 axis gimbal equipped 4K Mavic Mini shortly in order to satisfy changing consumer requirements.  I wouldn’t be surprised if DJI radically alter the Phantom range to keep it relevant, or retire it altogether as more and more people want the portability of the Mavic range which will continue to improve in camera and flight quality. With this in mind it seems likely DJI will be paying close attention to the Skydio drones and will possibly add improved AI controlled flight functionality into the next Mavic lineup.  This seems even more likely because DJI haven’t launched a new drone for well over a year, which would suggest they are working hard on at least one new product and giving the necessary time to noticeably improve on features.

So I don’t think the Skydio 2 will have a big impact on sales in the near future, but it may have a big impact on the direction of DJI’s new drone products.
2019-10-3
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4

I beg to differ. I think Skydio will have a big impact. I called their tech before I ordered and asked questions which he answered immediately. Big difference right there on the customer service aspect as compred to DJI.  I am not that impressed with DJI with their attitudes on customer service. Every time something goes wrong with their drones, it's always a struggle to get an answer and a resolution. I have six of their drones and it's like once you buy the copter, you are on your own.
Skydio's warranty is unreal.
The fact remains that Skydio completely sold out of their November run and they are now in the January run. That tells you something right there.
DJI does not get it, you can make the greatest product in the world but if you don't have the customer service to back it up, you will be doomed to failure.
Couple that with the fact that DJI passed on the tariff increase to their customer's does not make a happy customer.  
2019-10-4
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

jazzyjeff Posted at 10-4 10:07
I beg to differ. I think Skydio will have a big impact. I called their tech before I ordered and asked questions which he answered immediately. Big difference right there on the customer service aspect as compred to DJI.  I am not that impressed with DJI with their attitudes on customer service. Every time something goes wrong with their drones, it's always a struggle to get an answer and a resolution. I have six of their drones and it's like once you buy the copter, you are on your own.
The fact remains that Skydio completely sold out of their November run and they are now in the January run. That tells you something right there.

Well said jazzyjeff, customer service is extremely important. Cheers
2019-10-4
Use props
MrTitan
lvl.4
  • >>>

I beg to differ. I think Skydio will have a big impact. I called their tech before I ordered and asked questions which he answered immediately. Big difference right there on the customer service aspect as compred to DJI.  I am not that impressed with DJI with their attitudes on customer service. Every time something goes wrong with their drones, it's always a struggle to get an answer and a resolution. I have six of their drones and it's like once you buy the copter, you are on your own.

I understand and totally agree with your take on customer service, but I don't believe that's enough to make a vast dent in DJI's overall market control during the next 12 or so months as the majority of customers either don’t experience DJI aftercare or accept the sometimes poor service (realistically, it’s not always terrible).

I’d suggest that it’s too early to reliably comment on sales impact etc. as, firstly, we need to actually be blown away with the Skydio 2 product (its usability as a semi-pro focused photography and film tool will be of utmost importance to many potential customers) and, secondly, production will need to satisfy demand if vast order numbers are placed - which will be a challenge for a relatively small outfit that are already advertising limited availability on launch, and potentially for many months. Then there's DJI's response, and we still don't know what they are cooking up for future drone tech. DJI have been aware of the proven high quality AI of the original Skydio for over a year, so it'll be interesting to see if they are incorporating similar software driven avoidance into future Multi-Copter technology.

In any case, I'm looking forward to see what the next year or two brings.
2019-10-4
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft

I beg to differ. I think Skydio will have a big impact. I called their tech before I ordered and asked questions which he answered immediately. Big difference right there on the customer service aspect as compred to DJI.  I am not that impressed with DJI with their attitudes on customer service. Every time something goes wrong with their drones, it's always a struggle to get an answer and a resolution. I have six of their drones and it's like once you buy the copter, you are on your own.

I have to agree with you on customer back-up, look how Apple stumbled around for years because of lack of point of purchase service and so forth.  They should have had a lot better set up for customer care at the start, then they would have been much bigger than they were at the time.  Also, Compaq had some of the same types of problems.  What good is a brick with propellers sitting on your coffee table, except for conversation  Are you listening DJi?
2019-10-4
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>

I preordered and got in on the November run, but it’s far too early to start praising Skydio on their customer service.  I preordered cause this is an interesting innovative quad.  They really don’t have a track record to run on.  I own 5 DJI quads and honestly have never had a problem that wasn’t solvable with a browse on the interwebz.  They are easily the most reliable drones in the world.  Either way I’m jazzed for the Skydio.  Should be an awesome piece of tech, and I’ll welcome it to the nerd hanger.
2019-10-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

MrTitan Posted at 10-3 15:52
Skydio 2 is certainly looking impressive, but I’d doubt it will have a significant impact on DJI’s drone sales over the next 12 months. I’m sure the technology, and team behind it, have already had an impact on DJI though - who must be impressed and more than a little concerned.  The drone industry changes extremely fast due to many factors (legality, costs, improvements in tech, general interest etc.), and sale growth is said to be slowing as the market begins to reach saturation.  

DJI have already cleverly catered for every tier of the standard drone market, but the expectations of customers alters extremely quickly.  For example, it looks like DJI will Be replacing the Spark with a 3 axis gimbal equipped 4K Mavic Mini shortly in order to satisfy changing consumer requirements.  I wouldn’t be surprised if DJI radically alter the Phantom range to keep it relevant, or retire it altogether as more and more people want the portability of the Mavic range which will continue to improve in camera and flight quality. With this in mind it seems likely DJI will be paying close attention to the Skydio drones and will possibly add improved AI controlled flight functionality into the next Mavic lineup.  This seems even more likely because DJI haven’t launched a new drone for well over a year, which would suggest they are working hard on at least one new product and giving the necessary time to noticeably improve on features.

I'm part of the 1st batch and know a lot about the DJI drones of what they can do.  I will be able to give a great detailed comparison after I get it.
2019-10-4
Use props
Jason James
lvl.3

AntDX316 Posted at 10-4 22:10
I'm part of the 1st batch and know a lot about the DJI drones of what they can do.  I will be able to give a great detailed comparison after I get it.

I checked Skydio's site on October 1 and "Batch 1" to be shipped in November was already sold, so if I have to wait 4 months or more for delivery I might as well hold off and digest the "real" reviews.

As for the comments on DJI's poor support... I think they have just had such better products than the competition for so long that they haven't had to worry much about the impact of poor support on their sales. Support will have an impact on sales, but not until the competition catches up.

Autel is an awesome company with awesome support and I loved my X-Star Premium, but when it was time to upgrade I bought a DJI over the Evo just because I was tired of defective lipos, even though Autel was happy to replace them free of charge. At the end of the day, I preferred a superior product with crappy support or a a slightly less reliable product with awesome support (my X-Star would unpredictably force landing due to bad lipos).

My Mavic Air has been 100% rock solid for over 100 flights. Why would I ever need to contact DJI Support
2019-10-5
Use props
Jason James
lvl.3

Wow, just saw that Batch 2 is already sold out and new order will now have to wait until Q2 2020...

2019-10-5
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

Jason James Posted at 10-5 12:17
Wow, just saw that Batch 2 is already sold out and new order will now have to wait until Q2 2020...

[view_image]

What surprises me is that the Skydio 2 appears to be made on a small assembly line, why is that?
2019-10-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>

They are a tiny company, and these are all hand built.  
2019-10-5
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

Oracle Miata Posted at 10-5 13:49
They are a tiny company, and these are all hand built.

To stay in business they will need to expand.
2019-10-5
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

Jason James Posted at 10-5 10:22
I checked Skydio's site on October 1 and "Batch 1" to be shipped in November was already sold, so if I have to wait 4 months or more for delivery I might as well hold off and digest the "real" reviews.

As for the comments on DJI's poor support... I think they have just had such better products than the competition for so long that they haven't had to worry much about the impact of poor support on their sales. Support will have an impact on sales, but not until the competition catches up.

I don't trust the DJI drones to properly do Activetrack other than the Spark.
2019-10-5
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

Jason James Posted at 10-5 12:17

[view_image]

damn, batch 3!!!
2019-10-5
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft

ssylca44,  I don't know, something has to be said for the "Mom and Pop" little company that puts out true quality, gives splendid service - IF needed.  They can have their little place in the market.  However, they would have to stay up on new developments in their field, and introduce them into their line in a manner that keeps their customers happy.  I guess we shall see as time goes by.  I wish them and Dji the best.     
2019-10-5
Use props
SkyJax Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4127283 ft
  • >>>

I’ve got a reservation for batch 3. Doesn’t bother me since I just found out about the S2.

I’m just thrilled there’s a US made drone that has a serious chance of taking on DJI.

I see some serious advantages to this drone that you just cannot do with DJIs tech.
2019-10-5
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

HH1 Posted at 10-5 14:08
ssylca44,  I don't know, something has to be said for the "Mom and Pop" little company that puts out true quality, gives splendid service - IF needed.  They can have their little place in the market.  However, they would have to stay up on new developments in their field, and introduce them into their line in a manner that keeps their customers happy.  I guess we shall see as time goes by.  I wish them and Dji the best.

HH1, I agree with you about the quality of small companies, however, unfortunately, customers can be impatient and cannot wait 6 months to get their purchase especially in the fast-moving pace of computer development.
2019-10-6
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4

SkyJax Aerial Posted at 10-5 21:22
I’ve got a reservation for batch 3. Doesn’t bother me since I just found out about the S2.

I’m just thrilled there’s a US made drone that has a serious chance of taking on DJI.

Skyjax,,,well said. I am glad we are finally getting a US based company. Go Skydio!
2019-10-6
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>

Glad I locked my payment so now just waiting for it to be delivered and add the S2 to my fleet.  Seriously impressive drone ! The added BONUS is their warranty and no GEOfencing.
2019-10-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

SD_Pilot Posted at 10-6 15:03
Glad I locked my payment so now just waiting for it to be delivered and add the S2 to my fleet.  Seriously impressive drone ! The added BONUS is their warranty and no GEOfencing.
ya i def wanna buy into Skydio.. either first or 2nd gen.. maybe both.     i was going to but the Skydio R1 i found one on ebay few month back.. was under $1000 for 2 batteries a charging hub thingy, and few extras + drone and carry case.    i may still .grab an R1 if i see one for right price one day
2019-10-6
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-6 17:20
ya i def wanna buy into Skydio.. either first or 2nd gen.. maybe both.     i was going to but the Skydio R1 i found one on ebay few month back.. was under $1000 for 2 batteries a charging hub thingy, and few extras + drone and carry case.    i may still .grab an R1 if i see one for right price one day

Yeah not many S1 out there but you never know...think I saw a used one on Ebay. I'm looking to the S2 which is expected to be delivered sometime in Jan 2020. Patiently waiting.
2019-10-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

SD_Pilot Posted at 10-7 04:43
Yeah not many S1 out there but you never know...think I saw a used one on Ebay. I'm looking to the S2 which is expected to be delivered sometime in Jan 2020. Patiently waiting.

ya i regret not jumping on the cheaper ones i seen on ebay.  to be honest.. i like the 1st gen design better then 2nd gen.  from all promo videos i seen of it, it looks cheap on 2nd gen...maybe that's just me.  but has a 3D printed vibe.
2019-10-7
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-7 08:35
ya i regret not jumping on the cheaper ones i seen on ebay.  to be honest.. i like the 1st gen design better then 2nd gen.  from all promo videos i seen of it, it looks cheap on 2nd gen...maybe that's just me.  but has a 3D printed vibe.

Looks like a solid build from what I saw but again we'll see when it's release and people get their hands on it. Who knows there might be all this hype and it flops. Who knows!
2019-10-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>

SD_Pilot Posted at 10-7 08:42
Looks like a solid build from what I saw but again we'll see when it's release and people get their hands on it. Who knows there might be all this hype and it flops. Who knows!

its probably solid and very well built,  just the aesthetic of it looks cheaper to my eye.  
2019-10-7
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft

As with all products of this kind, software and service  support is the be and end of it.

Whilst I welcome competition to DJI (so far there isn't any), only time will tell if Skydio can provide this in an adequate manner.

Many have fallen at this exact hurdle. Even a giant like DJI has their own share of problems. I also believe that drone laws will get tighter and software integration with legislations will get more complicated. Another big expense and likely not easy for a small newcomer.

I wouldnt rush out and buy a non field tested device from an unknown company. Enjoy your DJI drones for another year, wait and see what developments happen in the industry.

By then first gen (well 2nd but really, it's a new product) Skydio user adopter feedback will be ample for an informed decision on the product. - As yet it's only marketing.

My 2cts
2019-10-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Only available in the US and Canada so they wont be much competition to DJI for now.
2019-10-8
Use props
FlyBa2018
lvl.4

The same theory that the Skydio may spy China, or your country too. From USA point of view.
2019-10-8
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft

2019-10-8
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft

There are several videos on Youtube of people who got them for a tryout. Very impressive obstacle avoidance. I don;t see how DJI can compete in that aspect without improving their hardware, i.e. in Mavic 3/ phantom 5.
Are they going to hurt DJI?
First and foremost, they are going to hurt DJI badly in the government business in the US (and maybe in some other countries too). Finally there's a US made drone that presents a viable option to DJI, and with the current US administration I wouldn't be surprised if the US government bans DJI from federal agencies altogether. Possibly some states will follow on a state agency level. So that's one thing.
In the private market - not so much. DJI has other advantages over Skydio as it stands now. I assume many people, especially big time drone buffs or travel vloggers, will own both.
2019-10-8
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 10-8 03:06
There are several videos on Youtube of people who got them for a tryout. Very impressive obstacle avoidance. I don;t see how DJI can compete in that aspect without improving their hardware, i.e. in Mavic 3/ phantom 5.
Are they going to hurt DJI?
First and foremost, they are going to hurt DJI badly in the government business in the US (and maybe in some other countries too). Finally there's a US made drone that presents a viable option to DJI, and with the current US administration I wouldn't be surprised if the US government bans DJI from federal agencies altogether. Possibly some states will follow on a state agency level. So that's one thing.

Where is this newcomer in any way a viable alternative to DJI for US Gouvernment applications?

Skydio have a long, long way to go before even getting close to that in my humble onion.
2019-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

Having watched many videos on YT I’ve come to the conclusion it’s basically a one trick pony and for those who are involved in action and like to video themselves then this is it’s USP , regarding stills photography well it looks like it shoots single shot no panorama no HDR no AEB, just single shot raw/jpeg, so for anyone wanting stills it’s a disappointment.
Although it doesn’t tell you exactly about extra features it looks like it has 3 quickshots dronie being one of them.
Having closely watched videos in open country craft keeps up really well with subject but suddenly flies close then far away so not smooth, flying where there are obstacles you will notice that craft continues to follow subject but will concentrate on keeping obstacle centered and thus subject ends to the side or corner of the shot , if this happens with one obstacle it’s fine but if there are many obstacles then the footage based on recording the main subject looks bad at least not good.
It appears that those on you tube seem much more amazed with how the Skydio 2 avoids obstacles and have forgotten that the whole point of the skydio2 is to get good footage.
I also think to get the most out of skydio2 you need beacon and RC so price will be €1300 and add at least two more batteries at $99 plus a multi charger they don’t have yet, your now talking about $1600 plus tax, it ain’t cheap particularly since really this preforms only one thing better than other drones and that is AT, So do you need a drone specifically for AT if you do this is for you, but you are paying a premium for it .But maybe that's worth it for some .
2019-10-11
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

hallmark007 Posted at 10-11 09:44
Having watched many videos on YT I’ve come to the conclusion it’s basically a one trick pony and for those who are involved in action and like to video themselves then this is it’s USP , regarding stills photography well it looks like it shoots single shot no panorama no HDR no AEB, just single shot raw/jpeg, so for anyone wanting stills it’s a disappointment.
Although it doesn’t tell you exactly about extra features it looks like it has 3 quickshots dronie being one of them.
Having closely watched videos in open country craft keeps up really well with subject but suddenly flies close then far away so not smooth, flying where there are obstacles you will notice that craft continues to follow subject but will concentrate on keeping obstacle centered and thus subject ends to the side or corner of the shot , if this happens with one obstacle it’s fine but if there are many obstacles then the footage based on recording the main subject looks bad at least not good.

A very good analysis. Thank you.
2019-10-11
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft

One thing for sure, DJI need a good rattle to their cage. I hope Skydio manages that. Maybe DJI will be triggered to improve customer service and be more forthcoming with information. Right now they're behaving like a monopoly, which de facto - they are. Real competition is a must here.
2019-10-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules