7853 72 2019-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 10-11 11:30
One thing for sure, DJI need a good rattle to their cage. I hope Skydio manages that. Maybe DJI will be triggered to improve customer service and be more forthcoming with information. Right now they're behaving like a monopoly, which de facto - they are. Real competition is a must here.

Apart from active track which a very small amount of dji drone users use, can you tell us or explain why and the reasons you think this has rattled djis cage , you must also bare in mind that skydio1 was almost unusable in any wind and why you think Skydio 2 has changed this, I’m afraid that in no video on you tube yet have Skydio shown if their new craft will be better than first craft in the wind .
2019-10-11
Use props
null5
lvl.2

Skydio 2 can only beat Mavic 2 in sports shooting
2019-10-11
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft

ssylca44 Posted at 10-4 11:14
Well said jazzyjeff, customer service is extremely important. Cheers
Skydio 2 customer service is non existent as yet. Anyone talking to them at present is communicating with the marketing/sales arm whose purpose it is to get orders ... .

The product hasn't even launched.

After the first adopter problems have been dealt with (and there always are issues) their customer/after sales service will have to prove themselves thereafter.

So far, the company is making product with customer deposits. I assume the £100 will go a long way of covering the cost of a drone.

I hope though the drone will be very good and that it will be adaptle and compliant with NFZ and other safety regulations.

2019-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

null5 Posted at 10-11 17:21
Skydio 2 can only beat Mavic 2 in sports shooting

The point is that in almost every country unless you are videoing yourself this type of flying would be totally illegal , so basically Skydio 2 is only a selfie drone and a very expensive one at that .
2019-10-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-11 16:20
Apart from active track which a very small amount of dji drone users use, can you tell us or explain why and the reasons you think this has rattled djis cage , you must also bare in mind that skydio1 was almost unusable in any wind and why you think Skydio 2 has changed this, I’m afraid that in no video on you tube yet have Skydio shown if their new craft will be better than first craft in the wind .

Skydio 2 is rated for 35mph winds.
2019-10-12
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 10-12 03:40
The point is that in almost every country unless you are videoing yourself this type of flying would be totally illegal , so basically Skydio 2 is only a selfie drone and a very expensive one at that .

This is certainly correct. Thanks
2019-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 10-12 05:05
Skydio 2 is rated for 35mph winds.

There were big problems with #1 you could not fly it even in wind over 10mph .
2019-10-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Looks like a high quality (over quantity) niche product for SOTA active tracking rather than serious aerial photography. I think DJI may take an 'interest' in the tech for their future productions but I can't see this breaking the mould of DJI's market position as serious competition - especially given that the Skydio market is restricted to North America whereas DJI is very much a global brand. Interesting looking drone.   
2019-10-12
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4

It seems we stirred up quite a discussion with this post and I think that's great.  Some are saying that Skydio is a small company and that is true. But let's not forget that DJI was once a small company at one time. The right place at the right time comes to mind here. One thing is important here, and for those who say DJI's drones are great , there is no argument from me. I have 6 of their drones. I love them.

Make no mistake however, no matter how good your machine is, you are someday going to need support just like owning a car. Someday you will need brakes on your car and you go to your local parts store to get them. They are available.

I just bought a DJI Inspire 1 V2.0 from DJI's factory refurbished area. I do this a lot as you can get some great buys for a great true tested bird. I am a hobbyist and I know I could have gotten the Inspire 2 but was not prepared to spend nearly $4000 so I opted to go with the Inspire 1 for $990. Like I said, its tested. When contacting DJI for additional batteries they advise me that they are no longer selling batteries for this product and i should look elsewhere?? I asked them how do they sell a product still in their store without the parts for the product? Customer service gave me the standard reply and they started reading me the classic script when they basically can't answer the question. "So sorry for this,,,we are very sorry,, our apologies" I explain to them that I just spent nearly $1000 for the drone and again  "So sorry for this,,,we are very sorry,, our apologies". My fear is that something will go really wrong and I am going to be out $1000. This is just one story.

Here's a second. If you order from the DJI store and your order gets lost in the tracking system, they tell you that your order will be delayed until the "investigation" takes place which might take longer than two weeks. My response to them is that this was not the customers problem and it is a problem between them and the shipper. I asked them to send me another item immediately in which I was told the classic script"So sorry for this,,,we are very sorry,, our apologies". I finally reached via email and after multiple emails, a DJI exec here in the states who read an email who kindly interceded. If not for him, chances are I might still be waiting with my money tied up with DJI. I was ready to call my Credit Card company!

My point here guys is no matter how good your product is, if you don't have the customer service to back it up, the company will fail.

DJI needs to realize that making a sale is not the end of the relationship with the customer. Its an on-going relationship because if you support that customer, he in turn will buy another and another product from them and chances are it will be another more expensive product each time. That's called building a relationship.

Sorry to rant but DJI needs to work on this if they want to stay a leader. I always said that as soon as a viable competitor comes along with good customer support it may dethrone DJI. Skydio may or may not be that company but only time will tell.

When its a one man show, people will settle because they have no choice. When a clear viable alternative is offered, people will go to the company that provides all these qualities I mentioned. When you crash and break a $1000 machine, you want to know that they are there for you, have your back and will do whatever they can to get you back in the air.
2019-10-12
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 10-11 16:20
Apart from active track which a very small amount of dji drone users use, can you tell us or explain why and the reasons you think this has rattled djis cage , you must also bare in mind that skydio1 was almost unusable in any wind and why you think Skydio 2 has changed this, I’m afraid that in no video on you tube yet have Skydio shown if their new craft will be better than first craft in the wind .

You made it a habit not to reply to what I've actually written. Read the message you replied to again. In light of the thread you opened on the lack of update to the SC, Do you agree with the statement that DJI needs some competition to rattle their cage or not? Do you agree they've been acting like a monopoly, which de facto they are?
2019-10-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-12 08:01
There were big problems with #1 you could not fly it even in wind over 10mph .

Yes, but this has nothing to do with #2 which has had more then two years development time.  You merely have to look at the shape of the two drones to figure out one is going to be better in the wind then the other.  Or perhaps you think maybe the MIT educated engineers didn’t think that one out on round 2?
2019-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 10-12 13:22
You made it a habit not to reply to what I've actually written. Read the message you replied to again. In light of the thread you opened on the lack of update to the SC, Do you agree with the statement that DJI needs some competition to rattle their cage or not? Do you agree they've been acting like a monopoly, which de facto they are?

Maybe explain what a monopoly is, companies become monopolies because they are clearly the best in the field they operate.
Your problem is your under the impression that Skydio has some kind of great customer service and are about to clear the decks with this non existent CS.
Truth are no other drone companies with better CS than dji and while their customer service is far from perfect , it seems an industry norm and you will find that promises that come from Skydio Autel etc are just as bad if not a whole lot worse.

As someone who has used dji products for 8 years I can tell you CS has improved hugely in that time, you need to compare their CS with industry benchmark companies like the CS leaders like Apple, then go back to Apple Corp and when they were 11 years old and you will find there CS then left a lot to be desired, so compare apples with apples when you talk about how bad CS really is .
2019-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 10-12 14:07
Yes, but this has nothing to do with #2 which has had more then two years development time.  You merely have to look at the shape of the two drones to figure out one is going to be better in the wind then the other.  Or perhaps you think maybe the MIT educated engineers didn’t think that one out on round 2?

Well if your trying to film yourself on a motorcycle in to a wind of 20mph then you probably cannot go faster than 15mph, so pretty slow for a motorcycle .
2019-10-13
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4

hallmark007 Posted at 10-13 01:40
Maybe explain what a monopoly is, companies become monopolies because they are clearly the best in the field they operate.
Your problem is your under the impression that Skydio has some kind of great customer service and are about to clear the decks with this non existent CS.
Truth are no other drone companies with better CS than dji and while their customer service is far from perfect , it seems an industry norm and you will find that promises that come from Skydio Autel etc are just as bad if not a whole lot worse.

The same can be said of Google or Microsoft, which are widely looked at as monopolies simply due to market share and market control, with their conduct being constantly scrutinized as such.
In the other thread you are the most vocal in your complaint over DJI's conduct regarding the smart controller, not only the technical aspect but also the attitude, the concealment, and even untrue official statements which you have pointed out.
The fact that you fail to see how that is just a symptom of a much bigger organizational culture issue bewilders me, especially given past experiences widely described here with DJI's customer service. Some good competition is much needed, it will make DJI a better company with a much better attitude too.
2019-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 10-13 05:37
The same can be said of Google or Microsoft, which are widely looked at as monopolies simply due to market share and market control, with their conduct being constantly scrutinized as such.
In the other thread you are the most vocal in your complaint over DJI's conduct regarding the smart controller, not only the technical aspect but also the attitude, the concealment, and even untrue official statements which you have pointed out.
The fact that you fail to see how that is just a symptom of a much bigger organizational culture issue bewilders me, especially given past experiences widely described here with DJI's customer service. Some good competition is much needed, it will make DJI a better company with a much better attitude too.

Believe me I’ve had pretty miserable CS from smaller companies in bigger markets,
Yes you’re correct I did complain in another thread, but I didn’t generalize for the sake of it, I believe to try getting to the bottom of something you first must be realistic and to try getting the answers and help your looking for, getting on the bandwagon rubbishing everything forgetting what your complaining or trying to sort out gets you nowhere and much less answers, everything I said on that thread is correct and nothing is fluffed up to show the matter is worse, you will also notice that moderator is attending to the problem and in the meantime has offered a workaround to the problem, that is a start and it helps , my point was registered and I will continue to ask the question through the forum and direct contact until matter is resolved.

I have no need to rubbish everything dji does and generalize just for the sake of it, I am fully aware that this forum is where the majority of people come with their problems , but I don’t get carried away in the rush to think that if person A has a problem so everybody must have the same problem.

If you have a problem get it sorted, tearing your hair out screaming about all the problems tends to lead to many forgetting why they came here in the first place, so when I read the many generalizing for nothing more than the sake of it, I don’t have much problem making my own mind up on this.

What’s clear is dji obviously make the absolute best consumer drones bar none , and their commitment to the drone tech design and the ability to bring drone flying to the masses will not be surpassed for a very long time, their CS has and is improving hugely since certainly I have been using drones and although it does need more work at this moment in time I don’t see much better CS in this market and I don’t believe because of skydio2 CS is going improve, for me I would just like dji to continue to improve their craft and I’m certain they will produce many new craft soon that will surprise us all, and hopefully they will continue to improve their CS .
2019-10-13
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-13 06:10
Believe me I’ve had pretty miserable CS from smaller companies in bigger markets,
Yes you’re correct I did complain in another thread, but I didn’t generalize for the sake of it, I believe to try getting to the bottom of something you first must be realistic and to try getting the answers and help your looking for, getting on the bandwagon rubbishing everything forgetting what your complaining or trying to sort out gets you nowhere and much less answers, everything I said on that thread is correct and nothing is fluffed up to show the matter is worse, you will also notice that moderator is attending to the problem and in the meantime has offered a workaround to the problem, that is a start and it helps , my point was registered and I will continue to ask the question through the forum and direct contact until matter is resolved.

Which other drones do you own aside from DJI’s?  Just curious as your speaking on other company’s customer service?   I remember a few years back you having a pretty big issue with a Mavic that I believe was eventually resolved.  Although, probably because you posted it to the forums and carried on about it.
2019-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 10-13 07:15
Which other drones do you own aside from DJI’s?  Just curious as your speaking on other company’s customer service?   I remember a few years back you having a pretty big issue with a Mavic that I believe was eventually resolved.  Although, probably because you posted it to the forums and carried on about it.

I did have a problem with a Mavic pro and I posted here the problem I had because that’s what you do and particularly if other customers are having similar problems, I’m not sure what it has to do with anything but the problem was sorted out , my drone was replaced and I considered that the timely response from when I had the problem to the matter sorted was good customer service.

Regarding other drones I’ve had many drones most of them drones we built ourselves, consumer drones only came about some 7/8 years ago and in the early days CS was non existent for many dji drones waiting times were ridiculous getting repairs done took an infinity, other drone manufacturers were few and far between we had Yuneec which were impossible to get on this side of the pond, we did import an Autel X Star which promised lots for our training club but it delivered nothing, for various problems and expected updates it took a full year to get any response from Autel and we got a bug fix after 12 months.

If the starting point is new drone makers are not going to be in any hurry to support their own products then why would you buy them in the first place, we all seen go pro completely stop supporting their drone , we have seen many threads about the problems with waypoints here on this forum but it’s now sorted, with Autel Evo the waypoints is almost unusable and I know this from a friend who uses Evo.

There are many other forums for drone users and if you go there you can read the problems of others.
You know it’s funny I keep hearing dji CS is Sh#t and in the same posts we are being told you can’t run a company with bad service and hope to be the best, well I suppose dji have either the best CS in the drone industry or else they bucked the trend of becoming the biggest drone company without a CS.
2019-10-13
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft

ssylca44 Posted at 10-6 05:23
HH1, I agree with you about the quality of small companies, however, unfortunately, customers can be impatient and cannot wait 6 months to get their purchase especially in the fast-moving pace of computer development.

I agree, a lot of folks are that way, however there are also a lot who will, and just for the reason that they know they are getting quality and dependability.
2019-10-13
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

HH1 Posted at 10-13 14:53
I agree, a lot of folks are that way, however there are also a lot who will, and just for the reason that they know they are getting quality and dependability.

You are right as well. Cheers
2019-10-14
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft

ssylca44 Posted at 10-14 03:55
You are right as well. Cheers

Right back attcha
2019-10-14
Use props
flyingfun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>

Jason James Posted at 10-3 10:17
The Skydio looks very impressive to me and I think it will pressure DJI to lower prices a tad and offer some better promotions, BUT:

The Skydio isn't actually available yet, and won't have proven itself in the market, at least enough to give me confidence to buy one, until sometime in 2020... preorders placed today won't even "start to ship" in January 2010 according to their site.

i waited on my  mavic pro 3 months same problem skydio has now.
2019-10-15
Use props
Magnil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 122838 ft

My next drone will definitely be one with active track / follow me that really works. The beacon seems like a great idea.

Previously had Mavic Pro and Spark. None of them works ok to follow a biker. Really hope that new Mavic Mini has a beacon and good obstacle avoidance since Skydio 2 is too big for me.
2019-10-15
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

Magnil Posted at 10-15 12:36
My next drone will definitely be one with active track / follow me that really works. The beacon seems like a great idea.

Previously had Mavic Pro and Spark. None of them works ok to follow a biker. Really hope that new Mavic Mini has a beacon and good obstacle avoidance since Skydio 2 is too big for me.

Yes, it sounds great, but unfortunately, this type of flight is NOT legal in Canada.
2019-10-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

They need to merge together to make the best drones in the world at low-cost.  The DJI drones are insanely stable and reliable enough to trust many lives on it working.
2019-10-15
Use props
The Skydio 2 has a better image processor !! which I'm very disappointed in Mavic 2 pro, That i just bought a month ago, focus is very slow, image processor is not so powerful!! and the camera aperture is only sharp at f4
2019-10-15
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft

You may agree or disagree but just think in this way;
new model Mercedes can push the  Toyota to drop their price ?   or iPhone 11  can  push Samsung Manufacturer to cut the price tag  for  Galaxy 11? Don't think so.
Skydio vs Mavic are different spec drones and their supply and service conditions are  also different.
So shortly ,  DJI will keep there price tag as it is but sure they are monitoring the market as we do and their next model drone (M3P) could be cheaper than M2P but still more expensive than Skydio.  
Btw ,cutting your price down just to challenge with Skydio , means you are accepting  your product  is not as good as  your competitors.
2019-10-16
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft

I really enjoy my Mavic Air and 2 Pro.  I (and many other drone pilots) can most definitely utilize and appreciate a very good tracking system.  Active Track is nice, but definitely not great.  I had a few shoots in which I really needed a great tracking function.  Active Track did a 'little something', but left much to be desired.  I wouldn't mind having a drone that provides that functionality, as I look to use my drones for production, more than just hobby.
2019-10-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

akozc Posted at 10-16 02:49
You may agree or disagree but just think in this way;
new model Mercedes can push the  Toyota to drop their price ?   or iPhone 11  can  push Samsung Manufacturer to cut the price tag  for  Galaxy 11? Don't think so.
Skydio vs Mavic are different spec drones and their supply and service conditions are  also different.

I think djis AT is pretty good it doesn’t have as good OA as the Skydio but that also has its problems when Skydio has to avoid obstacles it looses its subject to avoid obstacle causing break up in filming its subject.

I think that dji is not that far away from matching Skydio for AT and I imagine when it does it’s overall package will swamp anything dji has to offer.

2019-10-16
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>

Jason James Posted at 10-3 10:17
The Skydio looks very impressive to me and I think it will pressure DJI to lower prices a tad and offer some better promotions, BUT:

The Skydio isn't actually available yet, and won't have proven itself in the market, at least enough to give me confidence to buy one, until sometime in 2020... preorders placed today won't even "start to ship" in January 2010 according to their site.

THIS. Skydio looks really awesome but so far I've only seen commercials and ads for it and no actual user recorded flight. It may not live up to the hype. I hope it does though because that will create competition for features and pricing.
2019-10-16
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Israel

Videos of early Skydio 2 reviewers using the controller began popping up on YT over hte past 2-3 weeks. Still very impressive, the obstacle avoidance keeps working great on a controlled flight too.

I don't see how DJI can match Skydio's AT in an environment with obstacles without upgraded hardware - much better sensors (perhaps full fledged cameras) and much higher on-board computing power. We will have to wait for DJI's next generation of drones to see what they'll do to match up in that category. The Mavic 2 series, I'm afraid, doesn't have the hardware.
2019-10-23
Use props
XDfh2UKILeWX
lvl.1

United States

I was one of the first pre-orders for the original Mavic.

I was very very excited about it.  But long delays with no real engagement or answers from the company on this forum became a real problem. It was apparent that the Mavic technology was simply not ready for production when it was announced and they began taking peoples money.  Then, there were lots of problems with those who had received their first batch. I tried to cancel my order (as many others did also), but got no response from DJI effectively holding our money hostage. It demonstrated a ethical problem with DJI's business practices at the time.

The bad experience caused me to give up on DJI and drones in general for the time being, but kept an open mind. I concluded that the technology and support troubles were not worth what I, only a casual user, could justify for the price. But, I kept following the products. There were some improvements, but I also read plenty of problems here, and they way I would use the Mavic didn't justify the price and proficiency required to fly it.  Then there's all the issues with information security while using DJI software. I did't want to be a part all of that.

I am on the fence about ordering the Mavic Mini as my first drone because the price allows me to compromise with the above problems, but the Skydio 2 seems to fit exactly what I've been waiting for. I want a drone that I don't need to maintain a higher level of skills proficiency to fly. No GPS. I've already placed the deposit for the Skydio 2, and it remains to be seen if it will live up to the hype.

I know for sure the Skydio 2 launch won't be any worse than the Mavic launch.
2019-11-7
Use props
swoondrones
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1189902 ft
Australia

Maxi3D Posted at 10-3 09:09
I don't think so. Skydio 2 is not part of DJI's products. Unless, DJI buys them out.

As only a DJI disciple would say ...
2019-12-31
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

The Skydio is good but lets wait to see the mavic 3 how will it be
2019-12-31
Use props
Advanced