Cynova 3.5mm Adapter - worse than I ever imagined
3792 28 2019-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft

UPDATE: See below. The only way this seems to work is to apply substantial physical force to push the USB-C into the Osmo Action. Video linked.

Ok, after getting tired of waiting for DJI to come out with an audio adapter for the Osmo Action, I ordered a Cynova 3.5mm adapter from the DJI web site...all the way from China.

It arrived today, and here are my first impressions (if you have small children in the vicinity of your computer, you may want to have them leave - this isn't going to be pretty).

• First of all, the fit is HORRIBLE. The device plugs into the USB-C on the side of the Osmo Action, and any jiggling, tugging, or even turning the Osmo Action towards the side where the adapter is mounted, will cause the adapter to FALL OUT and you will lose your connection (if the connection was ever made - more on this below).
  • I've resorted to using gaffer tape to hold it in place. This alone is reason to return the adapter, and it's UNACCEPTABLE.
  • The adapter does not work with the access door on.
  • The 3.5mm plug is on the BACK of the Osmo Action, so any hope of using something like the little Saramonic microphone, and using it for the front AND back of your Osmo Pocket, have been dashed.
  • If you want to use your Osmo Action with a cage that has a cold shoe, good luck. The only one that "works" is th PGYTech cage, which I have.
  • I updated my firware, so in theory, both of my Actions should recognize the adapter, but I have no way of knowing if it's connected (there's no indication on the screen, like there is with the Osmo Pocket).
  • There is NO noticeable difference in audio with my Movo VXR-10 microphone Vs the Osmo Action's own built-in microphone, which leads me to believe the adapter isn't working.
  • The USB-C plug on the adapter is actually a smaller size than a standard USB-C. Why in the WORLD would CYNOVA do this? Did they get a bunch of cheap USB-C male plugs, and decide to use them on this piece of junk?
  • I presume the Osmo Action is TRS like the Osmo Pocket, but there is no way of knowing, as the CYNOVA documentation say nothing about this. I tried TRS and TRRS, and neither seemed to work.

I will be putting together a quick review on my YouTube channel shortly, but of the more than 100 Osmo Pocket and Osmo Action accessories I have, this is far and away THE worst. Not even close. It's a piece of junk.

If I had purchased this junk from a vendor in the US, it would already be packed up and heading back for a refund. The fact that it came from China, I might just have to eat the cost, and when I have the time, figure out a way to secure it in place other than gaffer tape.

UPDATE:

After messing around with the thing for more than another hour, with both my Osmo Actions, I was finally able to get the mic icon to appear, but only after applying substantial force with my hand, shoving the CYNOVA into the Osmo Action with pressure that can't even be replicated with gaffer tape. As soon as I remove this force, the CYNOVA disconnects.

2019-10-3
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft

I agree.  It's a poorly conceived product.  Plus the software does not allow for any fine tuning of the sound.  They could have saved themselves a ton of time by just allowing a bluetooth compatible mic adapter.  Even that would have better sound than this thing.
2019-10-3
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft

Yeah I need to be honest here, I’m a little let down by the following when testing with the Edutige ETM-001 which has a dead cat on it:

Mic seems too hot or gain is too high when riding in the car with the windows down (wind noise)  - resulting in clipping but this is likely the wrong application for this mic. Keep in mind ETM001 is best suited for voice audio, so not ideal for rumble v8 motor noises and wind buffeting.

Here's the really weird performance: The mic actually sounds different if you hit record (it sounds just like the stock mic) then remove and re-insert the adaptor (then sounds noticeably louder and clearer with more clear background levels) almost like two completely different mics or levels entirely (try it for yourself and let us know here).

I recorded the clips then replayed them using mimo on the new iPad which has some decent speakers.. so it was easy to hear a difference.
2019-10-3
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4

Matman, do you see the microphone icon on your back screen? I can't even get that far. Are you using a TRS or a TRRS microphone?
2019-10-3
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Hi Dennis.
Thanks for the heads up, I should have mine tomorrow and will do a few videos. Although, from you've said I doubt very much that I'll be happy with it.

Cheers.
Dave.
2019-10-3
Use props
Matman
lvl.4

Yes, I do see the mic and levels when it’s plugged in. I’m not sure what type the Edutige ETM-001 other than a high sensitivity omnidirectional condenser  mic.
You many want to do a factory reset and reapply the lates firmware. Which mic are you using?
2019-10-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

Not looking good for this product, time for dji to bring there own one forward .
2019-10-3
Use props
Matman
lvl.4

I mean it does sound better than the on board mic, but there’s something strange going on with the levels after initially plugged in when compared to unplugging the adapter and reinserting while recording. It noticeably is outputting different levels so is removing and reinserting it the optimal level or is the initial level the ideal?

Need someone with a flux capacitance meter to measure this with real science magic - I.e. full Audio-spectral analysis, lol.
2019-10-3
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4

Matman Posted at 10-3 13:33
Yes, I do see the mic and levels when it’s plugged in. I’m not sure what type the Edutige ETM-001 other than a high sensitivity omnidirectional condenser  mic.
You many want to do a factory reset and reapply the lates firmware. Which mic are you using?

Matman, I'm using the MOVO VXR-10, the Saramonic plug-in mic, and a wired lav mic that I've used with my Osmo Pockets and GoPros.

None of them seem to work.
2019-10-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for the tip!
2019-10-3
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4

See my update, with video, above. I can get this POS (gee, I wonder how I really feel?) to connect to both my Osmo Actions by applying significant force to the outside of the CYNOVA, forcing it into the Osmo Action. As soon as I remove the force, it disconnects.

HORRIBLE, AWFUL PRODUCT. DO NOT BUY.
2019-10-4
Use props
Sauliuslag
lvl.4
  • >>>

Pics2Flicks Posted at 10-4 04:16
See my update, with video, above. I can get this POS (gee, I wonder how I really feel?) to connect to both my Osmo Actions by applying significant force to the outside of the CYNOVA, forcing it into the Osmo Action. As soon as I remove the force, it disconnects.

HORRIBLE, AWFUL PRODUCT. DO NOT BUY.

Mine holds well and works good. No any issues.
2019-10-4
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4

I solved the problem for everybody. My new Osmo Pocket and CYNOVA 3.5mm adapter selfie stick.
Don't laugh. This is the only way I can get this accessory to work.
IMG_8755edit.jpg
2019-10-4
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4

Sauliuslag Posted at 10-4 05:33

Consider yourself lucky, from what I've been reading. Have you done a review of the audio quality, with and without the adapter/external mic?

If you shake your Osmo Action and Cynova, like it might be shaken when in use on an active shoot (this is, after all, the Osmo ACTION), does it remain securely connected?

I'd like to know if it's even worth the hassle of returning and trying again.
2019-10-4
Use props
Matman
lvl.4

My Osmo suction cup mount fell off the windshield and fell into my passengers lap And the mic adapter popped out on its own. Had this happened outdoor that thing would be lost, incl the mic.

Mine stays plugged in but the audio levels vary if pressure is applied to the adaptor (or as I mention above, levels sound different when you start recording with it plugged in vs when you unplug and replug while recording).
2019-10-4
Use props
Matman
lvl.4

i don’t think Alder with Flytpath had these issues so maybe we just got some out of spec products?
He was using it with the rode wireless go.
2019-10-4
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>

Sauliuslag Posted at 10-4 05:33

Mine has come today, it easily clicks firmly into place with the supplied case on the Osmo.
I tried it with a Sony Condenser lavalier type mic and it's not bad at all, however voice is improved if you lift the high end with some simple software such as audacity if you can't do it with something like adobe premiere.  

Since I charge the battery in situ and don't remove the card, it can stay on permanently unless I need more waterproofing with the door back on.
2019-10-4
Use props
Sauliuslag
lvl.4
  • >>>

Pics2Flicks Posted at 10-4 05:43
Consider yourself lucky, from what I've been reading. Have you done a review of the audio quality, with and without the adapter/external mic?

If you shake your Osmo Action and Cynova, like it might be shaken when in use on an active shoot (this is, after all, the Osmo ACTION), does it remain securely connected?

As I said it's holds well. I've been tested with and without original frame-case.
2019-10-4
Use props
MarvinFS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 696204 ft

why the hell they designed it to be one piece? it's unreliable it doesn't  hold well it has weird performance... I mean I understand it's 3rd party Chinese, bit 5come on sheez! They've made camera to be decent enough and as simple as an adapter ruins everything! For god's sake! I think we deserve an explanation from manufacturer... I've been waiting 4 months for the adapter without being able to use camera properly and now that?
2019-10-4
Use props
thrash_273
lvl.3
Flight distance : 595561 ft
  • >>>

I guess im lucky too - did not encounter any issue with mine. Also my workflow before when processing files- i always take out the sd card, now i transfer mainly using the usb-c adapter with no issues.
2019-10-4
Use props
Matman
lvl.4

I did some more experimenting this morning and confirmed my hypothesis:

The workaround is to press record, AND THEN, Insert the mic into the adaptor (or mic + adaptor into the action). At that point the mic + adapter will work as designed. It’s not ideal to do this as a workaround, but I’m sure the next fw update will resolve this.

It appears as if the internal mic levels are being used until you insert the adapter AFTER pressing record.

Feedback, confirmation or Matt you're nuts are all acceptable replies here.

Don't throw those CYNOVA adaptors away just yet..

And to those of you above who say theirs are working fine, please try this and report back if you find anything unusual.
2019-10-5
Use props
Casual Flyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37858 ft

Mine fits without problems, but the audio sounds just like the internal mic. I will try what you guys said about hitting play and then insert the adapter.

Here are my findings on a motorcycle (sorry for the audio in portuguese)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX1Kdgw3eU4&t=410s
2019-10-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Pics2Flicks, we apologize for the unpleasant experience with Cynova 3.5mm Adapter, please contact bella@rcytf.com for the replacement service, the manufacturer will help.
2019-10-9
Use props
Daymon W.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3131745 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-3 14:09
Not looking good for this product, time for dji to bring there own one forward .

sounds like a perfect opportunity for another company to make one. to give the people what they want
2019-10-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

stay tuned I got mine coming on to the site      50-50 call I say.  flip a coin.
2019-10-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

was not upset but  quite impressed it worked Lol. did record no issues  was not expecting itto  throw crisp crystal clear tunes like a Bruce or U2 concert but   works.    any question just ask me I'll do my bestto not   convince you it  the best though.
2019-10-21
Use props
cmw7
New
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-9 00:08
Hi Pics2Flicks, we apologize for the unpleasant experience with Cynova 3.5mm Adapter, please contact  for the replacement service, the manufacturer will help.

bella@rcytf.com does not respond. I bought the Adapter from the DJI website. DJI should be addressing the problem.

2019-10-26
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

And Hunter responds   we'll see what  he says for them   
2019-10-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

cmw7 Posted at 10-26 06:30
does not respond. I bought the Adapter from the DJI website. DJI should be addressing the problem.

May I have the email account that you used to contact bella@rcytf.com so that we can help?
2019-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules