DJI Osmo mobile 3-overheat?
12Next >
15513 45 2019-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ifi
lvl.1

Hello,

I've bought yesterday my DJI Osmo mobile 3, am using iPhone 6. I've noticed that my iPhone its getting overheat and the battery runs out very quickly.
I tried using the gimble without the app (DJI Mimo), just with the camera of the iPhone and it's still overheated.

Please let me know if I need to replace my gimbal.

Thank you in advance
Ifi
2019-10-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused by this. Can you please try to use a different mobile device to see if the problem will still persist? Also, Osmo Mobile 3 will not take any power on your mobile device since it only serves as a stabilizer for the phone and the phone will not charge the Osmo. Therefore, it is not the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 why your mobile device is overheating. Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2019-10-4
Use props
Olaio
lvl.1

It´s the app who drains the battery, I you plug the phone to USB port for charge, phone will not overheat, try it
2019-10-4
Use props
Cem_SG
lvl.2

Well I had my first temperature error today. For a few days I'm trying to find  the "best" way to hook up a Zoom H1 (just to find out mimo app only record mono..). After purchasing ProMovie and then Filimic Pro just to find out that they are not compatible (ok I should have done my due diligence better and not to buy DJI..) anywho after the temperature error after about 4+ minutes of recording I thought the motors at the gimbal where actually not so hot but my iPhone X with IOS 13.1.2 was burning. After having it cooled down I had the gimbal switched on so I can start the mimo app, the phone was not on the gimbal and mimo app was not recording and by keeping your hand on the back of the phone you can feel how the temperature starts rising.

So it's mainly the app which whether recording or not and whether it sits on the gimbal or not heats up the phone (in my case iPhone).

Great Hardware but customers should be allowed to choose their software and make the HW as compatible as possible, today only the record button in stock IOS camera app works.
2019-10-4
Use props
Ifi
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-4 08:19
Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused by this. Can you please try to use a different mobile device to see if the problem will still persist? Also, Osmo Mobile 3 will not take any power on your mobile device since it only serves as a stabilizer for the phone and the phone will not charge the Osmo. Therefore, it is not the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 why your mobile device is overheating. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

Okay thank you, i will give it a try!! I will keep you update
2019-10-5
Use props
Ifi
lvl.1

Olaio Posted at 10-4 09:41
It´s the app who drains the battery, I you plug the phone to USB port for charge, phone will not overheat, try it

Okay thank you, i will try it!! They should definitely do some update on the app.
2019-10-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ifi Posted at 10-5 05:36
Okay thank you, i will give it a try!! I will keep you update

Hi, please let us know as soon as you already tried it. Thank you for your understanding. Cheers!
2019-10-5
Use props
Cem_SG
lvl.2

A redmi note 7 doesn't heat up in same way as the iphone X
2019-10-5
Use props
djiuser_iyBxt6TPVnND
New

Maybe your phone is having battery issues? Does your screen go full brightness whenever you connect to mimo app?
2019-10-8
Use props
Cem_SG
lvl.2

djiuser_iyBxt6TPVnND Posted at 10-8 17:32
Maybe your phone is having battery issues? Does your screen go full brightness whenever you connect to mimo app?

I just assume you are addressing me I actually don't think so it was the first time with my iPhone X I ever have experienced high temperature, I also tried an iPhone 6 so a bit older and battery a bit more "worn out" same effect. The Xiaomi Note 7 also gets hot but not as hot and not with the same speed as the iPhone ( I just hope I'll be able to shoot a few minutes of video during a school event next week without this issue else
2019-10-8
Use props
Ifi
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-5 09:49
Hi, please let us know as soon as you already tried it. Thank you for your understanding. Cheers!

Soo, I've tried with iPhone 7 and its gets overheat and the battery runs out, I've tried with the Mimo app and without, and it still it gets overheat after 7 minutes of recording. I've tried with iPhone XS for a 7-minute recording with the Mimo app and without, it was a bit overheat but not as the others (iPhone 6,7).
I've tried with Sony Xperia Z3 and it gets overheat after 7 minutes of recording, really hot...like iPhone 6.
And finally with Huawei P10 Lite, I recorded for 10-15 minutes and it didn't overheat, just a little bit...you don't even notice it.
Am confused ...
2019-10-9
Use props
Ifi
lvl.1

Olaio Posted at 10-4 09:41

I've tried with iPhone 6, it doesn't overheat so much but it's difficult to record.
2019-10-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ifi Posted at 10-9 02:11
Soo, I've tried with iPhone 7 and its gets overheat and the battery runs out, I've tried with the Mimo app and without, and it still it gets overheat after 7 minutes of recording. I've tried with iPhone XS for a 7-minute recording with the Mimo app and without, it was a bit overheat but not as the others (iPhone 6,7).
I've tried with Sony Xperia Z3 and it gets overheat after 7 minutes of recording, really hot...like iPhone 6.
And finally with Huawei P10 Lite, I recorded for 10-15 minutes and it didn't overheat, just a little bit...you don't even notice it.

Hi, thank you for the additional information. Did you already try to reduce the brightness of your iPhone 6 and 7 to see if the problem persists? Also, please make sure that there is no other running apps on the background because it might be the phone who can't handle a multiple application running on the background while using the gimbal that's the reason why you experience an overheating temp on your mobile device. Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2019-10-9
Use props
RDJ
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-9 16:01
Hi, thank you for the additional information. Did you already try to reduce the brightness of your iPhone 6 and 7 to see if the problem persists? Also, please make sure that there is no other running apps on the background because it might be the phone who can't handle a multiple application running on the background while using the gimbal that's the reason why you experience an overheating temp on your mobile device. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

Hi I'm having the same issue however it seems to be really bad if I use the autotrack, which will last for about 6min and then the OS will report a thermal event.

I'm using an iPhone 6S with a brand new battery, no installed apps (the phone is a dedicated camera, background services are off, all other gimmicks are off as well), no SIM (only WIFI), and no brightness at all.

This even happens when I just let it idle or try to stream, after a few minutes, I'll get an overheat.

I have not tried while keeping the phone charged, but this only seems to happen with this app which is unfortunate because the regular camera app works great, but I got this setup for streaming and to have the gimbal auto move to focus on a target. :/
2019-10-10
Use props
RDJ
lvl.1

RDJ Posted at 10-10 21:24
Hi I'm having the same issue however it seems to be really bad if I use the autotrack, which will last for about 6min and then the OS will report a thermal event.

I'm using an iPhone 6S with a brand new battery, no installed apps (the phone is a dedicated camera, background services are off, all other gimmicks are off as well), no SIM (only WIFI), and no brightness at all.

I've also tried low power mode which did nothing, I have not tried with the phone plugged in, but I'm not sure how much that will solve.
2019-10-10
Use props
RDJ
lvl.1

RDJ Posted at 10-10 21:29
I've also tried low power mode which did nothing, I have not tried with the phone plugged in, but I'm not sure how much that will solve.

Has DJI ran the app with energy instrumenting (https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/EnergyGuide-iOS/MonitorEnergyWithInstruments.html) lately? A google search (as well as appstore reviews) shows that several people have ran into this on a variety of iPhone units, so I question if DJI has done a power usage test lately (also one forum post said it's normal for the battery to be used by 3% every minute which sounds wrong). The iOS built in crash analytics shows that the thermal event was raised in the DJI app itself.
2019-10-10
Use props
djiuser_YYmmPx42dmWz
New

Cem_SG Posted at 10-8 18:44
I just assume you are addressing me  I actually don't think so it was the first time with my iPhone X I ever have experienced high temperature, I also tried an iPhone 6 so a bit older and battery a bit more "worn out" same effect. The Xiaomi Note 7 also gets hot but not as hot and not with the same speed as the iPhone ( I just hope I'll be able to shoot a few minutes of video during a school event next week without this issue else

I have the same issue with some of the users phones overheating after using their DJI Osmo Mobile 3 gimbal. I have an Iphone X and it has never overheated in the past until now when I used it on my DJI Osmo Mobile 3 with the DJI Mimo app.  
2019-10-13
Use props
HenryT
lvl.1

I am wondering if it might be caused by the fact that the motor is overworking to stabilize an unbalanced phone?

Just to be sure, was the mobile phone balanced prior to powering it on?
2019-10-13
Use props
RDJ
lvl.1

HenryT Posted at 10-13 20:05
I am wondering if it might be caused by the fact that the motor is overworking to stabilize an unbalanced phone?

Just to be sure, was the mobile phone balanced prior to powering it on?

I'll retest again with all devices individually autocalibrated before the test runs.

To also clarify the working environment, the gimbal is placed on a very firm stand. There's no outside movement.

Additionally, camera quality is set to 1080p/60fps and livestreamed.
2019-10-13
Use props
RDJ
lvl.1

Upon re-running every test:

1080p/30fps and lower does not thermal panic within 20min, even idling causes no thermal panics after recalibrating with each device
1080p/60fps or any higher resolution/fps panics no matter what within 8min on every device tested.

This is a very rudimentary test, instrumenting would probably find something more conclusive, but my takeaways are:

* The DJI app has some sort of issue processing high quality video over any significant amount of time
* If you're running into overheating issues just sitting idle with the gimbal, your gimbal needs to be recalibrated.

Thanks Henry for the calibration suggestion. I was actually surprised how wildly different the results are and helped figure out what's going on.

As another aside, streaming with Streamlabs or other stream applications using RecordingKit have no issues at all at the same resolution. Something apparently is wrong with how DJI processes video. I'm not sure what.

Hopefully this helps someone.
2019-10-13
Use props
djiuser_gQfvnHJ5dudH
New

Haii,
   I bout Mobile 3 recently .I’m using IPhone 8 Plus and after 3 to 5 minutes use phone temperature is increasing and showing warning
2019-10-15
Use props
slugwurth
lvl.1
United States

The iPhone 6 doesn't work well with the gimbal and app. When I used it, it was dropping frames and draining the phone battery extremely fast. I ended up upgrading my phone to an iPhone 11, which apparently DJI doesn't support either
2019-10-28
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

RDJ Posted at 10-13 21:52
I'll retest again with all devices individually autocalibrated before the test runs.

To also clarify the working environment, the gimbal is placed on a very firm stand. There's no outside movement.

What Henry meant was your to make sure your phone is balanced not the gimbal itself. The phone cannot tilt one way or the other in both portrait or landscape mode.

The heat can be cause by your gimbal motor (which is transferring the heat to your phone) constantly trying to correct and balance your phone. Which also explains the quick battery drain.

Edit: I just re-read your reply to Henry and just have to respond specifically to what you wrote here:
"I'll retest again with all devices individually autocalibrated before the test runs."

You don't put a device and use auto calibrate to balance it. You balance it manually and actually mount the phone and slide it sideways in it's mount until it stops tilting left or right.
Am I misunderstanding what you're doing here?

2019-10-28
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

slugwurth Posted at 10-28 12:53
The iPhone 6 doesn't work well with the gimbal and app. When I used it, it was dropping frames and draining the phone battery extremely fast. I ended up upgrading my phone to an iPhone 11, which apparently DJI doesn't support either

I'm using the Osmo Mobile 3 with my iPhone 11 with the Mimo app. I can shoot in all the available modes in the app. I can zoom in and out. Change Gimbal modes, etc.

What do you mean?
2019-10-28
Use props
wh001
New
South Africa

I bought Osmo Mobile 3 last week and have been experiencing overheating issues on my phone since day 1 of using the gimbal.
Overheating error msg occurs after around 8 minutes of shooting.
ERROR MESSAGE: Temperature iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it.

Specs as follows:
iPhone 8 (6 months old) - running iOS 13.2 & running iOS 13.1
DJI Mimo App (version 1.2.4)
Shooting 4k@ 60FPS

WHAT I HAVE DONE:
Phone is balanced on Gimbal.
Gimbal has been calibrated on flat surface.
No other APPs are running other than Mimo App.

I suspect the issue has more to do with the Mimo software causing the phone to overheat and not the Gimbal motor.

The reason I say this is because I was shooting using the Mimo app with the Gimbal and got the overheating error.
I let the phone cool down and took the phone OFF the Gimbal and started shooting again using the Mimo app but WITHOUT the Gimbal, and around the 8 minute mark I got the same error message.

I performed the test again and got the same results.
I physically can feel the phone get hotter while using the Mimo app.

PHONE STATUS
The iPhone is not damaged.
The Battery health indicates 98% health, which means there is not issues with the battery.
I have never had overheating issue with any other app on the phone to date.
I experience overheating while running the Mimo app on iOS 13.1 and iOS 13.2 - I upgraded to ensure that the iOS was not the issue.

These results would indicate that the Mimo app is causing the phone to rapidly heat up and NOT the Gimbal motor.
The time frame is around the 8 minute mark of shooting, on the gimbal or off the gimbal.

Please could you advise what I should do in order to avoid overheating.  
2019-10-30
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

wh001 Posted at 10-30 00:25
I bought Osmo Mobile 3 last week and have been experiencing overheating issues on my phone since day 1 of using the gimbal.
Overheating error msg occurs after around 8 minutes of shooting.
ERROR MESSAGE: Temperature iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it.

Something's not right here. How can you use the mimo app without the phone mounted to the gimbal? The gimbal won't just sit there idly it's going to try and balance something when you turn it on.
2019-10-30
Use props
wh001
New
South Africa

tripleburst Posted at 10-30 10:29
Something's not right here. How can you use the mimo app without the phone mounted to the gimbal? The gimbal won't just sit there idly it's going to try and balance something when you turn it on.

Hi Tripleburst, if you have the phone mounted on the Gimabl, open the Mimo app - Conect to the gimbal - you are right the Gimbal will try balance, etc. However if you triple press the M button the Gimbal goes into standby mode. Mimo camera app is still open and working on the iPhone. You are then able to remove the phone and it wont try balance the phone any longer - you can then shoot using the mimo app while the phone is not mounted to the gimbal.

PS I do not have any over heating issue using the native camera app in iOS. I tested shooting a continuous 15 min clip moving around etc, then a number of smaller clips and no issues. I however do not have the ability to active track etc, when using the native camera app in iOS. This can only be done through the Mimo app, hence why I need it to work without overheating my iPhone.  
2019-10-30
Use props
wh001
New
South Africa

tripleburst Posted at 10-30 10:29
Something's not right here. How can you use the mimo app without the phone mounted to the gimbal? The gimbal won't just sit there idly it's going to try and balance something when you turn it on.

Hi Tripleburst, if you have the phone mounted on the Gimabl, open the Mimo app - Conect to the gimbal - you are right the Gimbal will try balance, etc. However if you triple press the M button the Gimbal goes into standby mode. Mimo camera app is still open and working on the iPhone. You are then able to remove the phone and it wont try balance the phone any longer - you can then shoot using the mimo app while the phone is not mounted to the gimbal.

PS I do not have any over heating issue using the native camera app in iOS. I tested shooting a continuous 15 min clip moving around etc, then a number of smaller clips and no issues. I however do not have the ability to active track etc, when using the native camera app in iOS. This can only be done through the Mimo app, hence why I need it to work without overheating my iPhone.  
2019-10-30
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

wh001 Posted at 10-30 23:52
Hi Tripleburst, if you have the phone mounted on the Gimabl, open the Mimo app - Conect to the gimbal - you are right the Gimbal will try balance, etc. However if you triple press the M button the Gimbal goes into standby mode. Mimo camera app is still open and working on the iPhone. You are then able to remove the phone and it wont try balance the phone any longer - you can then shoot using the mimo app while the phone is not mounted to the gimbal.

PS I do not have any over heating issue using the native camera app in iOS. I tested shooting a continuous 15 min clip moving around etc, then a number of smaller clips and no issues. I however do not have the ability to active track etc, when using the native camera app in iOS. This can only be done through the Mimo app, hence why I need it to work without overheating my iPhone.

Oh I see. It's still odd that the app would cause the phone to heat up. Have you tried shooting through mimo in lower resolution? Just as a test to see if the app isn't optimized to shoot in 4K.  Hope you get it sorted out.
2019-10-31
Use props
slugwurth
lvl.1
United States

tripleburst Posted at 10-28 13:20
I'm using the Osmo Mobile 3 with my iPhone 11 with the Mimo app. I can shoot in all the available modes in the app. I can zoom in and out. Change Gimbal modes, etc.

What do you mean?

I mean the iPhone 11 is not officially supported by the gimbal. If you look at the compatible phones list, you will not find iPhone 11. Yes, most of the features work. But if you try to import your videos into something like iMovie, there will be no audio. That could be iOS 13 or the iPhone 11.
2019-10-31
Use props
djiuser_dT5qKMyr3B8A
New

South Africa

Hi I've recently purchased the mobile 3 and overheating seems to be common as I've recorded for 10 minutes with my iphone x and the phone overheated. Just now I've used the mobile 3 on my samsung s10 plus just to watch a soccer game with the mobile 3 and gear lever of the mobile 3 overheated as well as my phone even though I wasn't recording anything and the phone was placed in the middle
2019-11-10
Use props
Lee3111
New

United States

I believe DJI MIMO app need update because I just open only MIMO and after few minutes start heating.
iPhone 7
IOS: 13.3
2019-11-15
Use props
djiuser_alBE4Clxjs4B
New
Philippines

I experience this as well. Even when on not shooting my phone keeps getting hotter. I use a galaxy note 10 plus. I will make several tests provided here.

Without the gimbal
- shoot using the native camera app and see if it heats up my phone.
- will shoot using the mimo app without mounting it in the gimbal

With gimbal:
- will check the balance
- shoot using native app
- shoot using mimo app

Will get back later after ive done the tests.
2019-11-19
Use props
djiuser_wYSgrOvEUEu7
New

Poland

Hi. I have the same overheat issue with my Samsung  S8.
2020-1-21
Use props
fansf6afa1e1
New

Indonesia

hi i have same problem with huawei mate 20 pro
2020-2-10
Use props
James M
lvl.1
United States

Olaio Posted at 2019-10-4 09:41

Great tip. Thank you.
2020-2-11
Use props
djiuser_8B87ydQSp1pd
New

United Kingdom

Turn your Wi-Fi off and it doesn't overheat...
2020-5-19
Use props
Marto Klujor
New

Netherlands

djiuser_8B87ydQSp1pd Posted at 5-19 23:48
Turn your Wi-Fi off and it doesn't overheat...

I tried the suggestion to turn off the wifi, but then the app starts using mobile data with the same drain on the battery

Next was to switch to flight-mode and turn on the bluetooth again

Power consumption for 10 minutes filming;
- with wifi and tracking : 87.32 mah
- with wifi and gesture control : 136.47 mah
- flight mode and tracking : 68.85 mah
- standard camera app : 42.42 mah
-- standard camera app : no functionality, the osmo just stabilizing the camera....

Measured with a Huawei P30 Pro
2020-8-5
Use props
A S M Muhtasim Fuad Sohan
New

United States

yes same here, my iphone  xs also overheated !
2020-8-15
Use props
djiuser_aktH9df14YK1
New

United States

Was there any resolution to this or software update? I just tried using the app and phone again, and still overheated in the span of 6 minutes.

Interestingly, I was also flying my Mavic Mini and experienced the same warming on my phone.
2020-8-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules