Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
'The Matman Method' CYNOVA adapter workaround for the Osmo Action
2152 27 2019-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4

2019-10-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day David. Thank you for sharing this test video you have created for the DJI Osmo Action Cynova audio adapter. The technical review you have done and your insights with regards to this product are greatly appreciated. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-10-5
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft

Thanks David, you’re doing a great  service with your presence and position on this topic, and I was just blown away to see your video response to my suggestion.

Were def. on the same page here, and you’re probably the only one who is unbiased enough to to see and admit what’s happening here (almost no difference between the onboard mic and when using an external mic with this adapter - unless you plug it in after hitting record, and that's not practical)

Cheers again mate, you really made my day and Its nice to see real science prevail over blind trust for a new never heard of brand (with suspiciously DJI like packaging and presentation).
2019-10-5
Use props
ff22
lvl.4

No one's paying me to say or post anything.  Now my hearing may not be perfect (ha) but frankly, the mic adapter/mic combo sounded better immediately over the internal mic from my listening.  I'm not sure that I detected much difference with the juggling maneuvers.  But thanks for taking the time to record and post - and love your accent! (g)
2019-10-5
Use props
djiuser_ZvoU9JonWZpE
lvl.1

So is the Cynova the only one that works?
2019-10-5
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-5 12:41
Hello and good day David. Thank you for sharing this test video you have created for the DJI Osmo Action Cynova audio adapter. The technical review you have done and your insights with regards to this product are greatly appreciated. Great work and thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen.

As always, it's my pleasure.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-6
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

ff22 Posted at 10-5 16:09
No one's paying me to say or post anything.  Now my hearing may not be perfect (ha) but frankly, the mic adapter/mic combo sounded better immediately over the internal mic from my listening.  I'm not sure that I detected much difference with the juggling maneuvers.  But thanks for taking the time to record and post - and love your accent! (g)

Hi.

If you preferred the external mic and adaptor over the internal mics, there's nothing wrong with that as that's your personal choice and preference. Choice, preference and taste are never wrong as far as an individual is concerned.

However, preference has nothing to do with technical fact. In this instance, the simple technical fact is that the interface does not work correctly.

As far as difference is concerned when juggling the mic, there's a very obvious tonal difference which you don't seem to be able to hear. This may well be due to what you are listening on, headphones or proper speakers will clearly show the differences.

As for my accent. Again, personal choice. It may not be technically correct but it definitely has a sound to it. So no argument from me with that one

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-6
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

djiuser_ZvoU9JonWZpE Posted at 10-5 18:20
So is the Cynova the only one that works?

It's the only one available that's 'supposed' to work but it doesn't.
2019-10-6
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Matman Posted at 10-5 13:37
Thanks David, you’re doing a great  service with your presence and position on this topic, and I was just blown away to see your video response to my suggestion.

Were def. on the same page here, and you’re probably the only one who is unbiased enough to to see and admit what’s happening here (almost no difference between the onboard mic and when using an external mic with this adapter - unless you plug it in after hitting record, and that's not practical)

Hi Matt.

Defo on the same page mate.

Between what you'd already worked out and my test to confirm it, this adaptor does not work. That is technical fact.

There are others on the forum who've had problems with this adaptor even before using it with a mic, Dennis/Pics2Flicks has had a terrible time with it https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D557%26typeid%3D557

These tests have proven that DJI have known all along that there was a problem with this adaptor and they knowingly sold it to their customers. This is simply greed via profiteering and taking advantage of a situation where there is no competition and therefore complete disrespect for the end user.

And please, no BS from anyone who thinks that my stance on this is harsh. None of what I've said is opinion, it is all fact with tests to prove it.
DJI should immediately offer refunds to anyone who has bought this adaptor and stop selling it until it's fixed or replaced.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-10-6
Use props
ebswift
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft

Hopefully it's just a firmware fix, something in the audio compression.  I played back my own test and I do hear that robotic type distortion going on in Dave's, I didn't notice it at first in mine because it was only seconds long interrupted by my phone ringing and I didn't do a side-by-side.
2019-10-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

This clearly is how it was 'ment to be' when somebody invented a 'review' as something we could actually perform on a product
Thanks for taking the time to make this
2019-10-6
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

ebswift Posted at 10-6 02:54
Hopefully it's just a firmware fix, something in the audio compression.  I played back my own test and I do hear that robotic type distortion going on in Dave's, I didn't notice it at first in mine because it was only seconds long interrupted by my phone ringing and I didn't do a side-by-side.

Yes, hopefully it’s sorted by software but that does raise more questions. If it does get sorted, why wasn’t it right in the first place?

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-7
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Montfrooij Posted at 10-6 12:33
This clearly is how it was 'ment to be' when somebody invented a 'review' as something we could actually perform on a product
Thanks for taking the time to make this

It’s my pleasure and you are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

David_Harry Posted at 10-7 02:00
It’s my pleasure and you are very welcome.

Cheers,

2019-10-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 10-6 01:07
Hi Stephen.

As always, it's my pleasure.

You are very much welcome Dave. Have a safe and a happy filming always.
2019-10-7
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3

Great video again Dave - and absolutely agree, the difference is again night and day and the result of plugging in after starting record is much more what I would expect.

Good work between you and Matman... hopefully DJI release a firmware fix for this ASAP.

2019-10-7
Use props
Matman
lvl.4

Thanks DeeJayOne! Fingers crossed that we’ll see some new firmware to remedy this.
Props to my man David_Harry for telling it like it is (when other tubers rushed to be first to publish a bogus but gleeful review, which made us all scratch our heads - why aren't they saying it sounds the same or possibly worse!).

Would also be nice if someone from DJI would confirm this condition so were not wondering, and postulating like QA testers in a dev environment, or maybe promote us to peripheral QA field testers, gahaha.

2019-10-7
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3

Yes, it would be nice if someone from DJI could acknowledge the issue and that it has been passed on for the correct department to look at and work on ASAP.

2019-10-8
Use props
Matman
lvl.4

Results after further testing to confirm:

Press record
Audio strength/level = 1 (with adapter and etm-001 inserted)
Remove adapter
Audio strength/level = 0 (onboard mic sounds slightly worse)
Re-insert adapter w/mic (etm-001)
Audio strength/level = 2 (which by the way sounds pretty good over levels 0 and 1)

So as you can see I think the hardware works, it just needs some firmware refinement (which I hope we’ll see and not have to wait for  action v2).
2019-10-8
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Matman Posted at 10-8 11:55
Results after further testing to confirm:

Press record

Hi Matt.

That's great information and something that will help others, thanks.

I can also confirm that although the signal does get louder and sounds better, it still isn't as good as something else recording the same mic.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-8
Use props
Casual Flyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37858 ft

How the sound should have sound vs how it sounds. Quick comparison. (Sorry for the portuguese audio)

I will try the plug and unplug method and will report back.

2019-10-8
Use props
Casual Flyer
lvl.1

Just tried inserting the microphone after hitting the record button and it work, it is a bit louder.  
But the distortion/robotic sound is still there.

DJI needs to makes something about that. It sounds like some kind of audio compression artifact. It is pretty bad.
2019-10-9
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Casual Flyer Posted at 10-9 09:58
Just tried inserting the microphone after hitting the record button and it work, it is a bit louder.  
But the distortion/robotic sound is still there.

Hi.

Aside from the problems with the interface and the way the Action doesn't see it properly, there's also problems with way DJI actually record the audio as well with both the Pocket and the Action.

I've done a few posts and videos about the recording issues with the Pocket and I'll be doing another couple of videos highlighting similar phase and cancellation issues with the audio on the Action.

Even if DJI sort out the issue between the adaptor and the Action, they've still got to sort the actual recording issues as well.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-9
Use props
Casual Flyer
lvl.1

David_Harry Posted at 10-9 11:04
Hi.

Aside from the problems with the interface and the way the Action doesn't see it properly, there's also problems with way DJI actually record the audio as well with both the Pocket and the Action.

I just checked your video about the pocket.
So we can expect a long wait until they solve this with the action. For now I would be happy with the Action seeing the adaptor/microphone.
I will be hoping for an all-around solution in the next few months.

Cheers!
2019-10-9
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft

David_Harry Posted at 10-6 01:43
Hi Matt.

Defo on the same page mate.

I still can only get it to work by employing a clamp to hold it in place. I'm scrambling to put a review together, but work travel is holding me up.
2019-10-10
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Pics2Flicks Posted at 10-10 10:53
I still can only get it to work by employing a clamp to hold it in place. I'm scrambling to put a review together, but work travel is holding me up.

Hi Dennis.

After you’ve seen my next video I’m sure you’ll be throwing yours out with the rest of the garbage.

This interface is wrong on many levels and the people who support it haven’t got a clue about its basic functions.

I will be contacting DJI with regard a full refund for something that isn’t fit for purpose, as I’ve proven in a few videos. I will also make a video about the return procedure and my experience with DJI during the return.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-10
Use props
dweston67
New

David_Harry Posted at 10-10 11:28
Hi Dennis.

After you’ve seen my next video I’m sure you’ll be throwing yours out with the rest of the garbage.

Any help on how to get them to take my mic adapter as a return? the customer service team refused to accept it.  Awful
2019-10-14
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft

dweston67 Posted at 10-14 13:56
Any help on how to get them to take my mic adapter as a return? the customer service team refused to accept it.  Awful

David, I was directed to bella@rcytf.com by DJI Customer Support. They have assured me a replacement is on its way, but I have seen nothing in the way of shipping confirmation, or anything aside from their emails in almost a week. I just emailed them once more, asking what the next steps are.
2019-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules