Phantom 4 standard odd powerproblem?
1266 20 2019-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tim1985
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32641 ft

Hello all.O have a P4S  with 1 battery.

Battery health says 100%, but with the battery powered on in the drone it takes about 2 minutes until the drone receives power and starts up.

what would cause this? is that a bad battery circuit board or is something going out inside the drone?

2019-10-8
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

maybe a video will help show what my battery is doing.
2019-10-8
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

maybe a video will help show what my battery is doing.   
2019-10-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain

Tim1985 Posted at 10-8 16:10
maybe a video will help show what my battery is doing.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piL7YtiexLM

I suspect that the aircraft is initialising various systems and that is causing the delay in powering up. Actually, it has powered up, but not yet got to initialising the camera and gimbal, and that makes you think is is not starting up. You might check the SD card, as sometimes it spends a lot of time setting up and checking the card. It would be a good idea to copy off any files you need on the card and then format it in the aircraft using the DJI Go app.
2019-10-8
Use props
sedeco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8060653 ft
  • >>>

you  need test another battery  i think this problem in battery
2019-10-9
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft

Whatever .........  please post the solution when you get there ?
2019-10-9
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

I will have to find another battery online and give that a try.  

I don't think it's the SD card. Have tried 3 different ones and even without a SD card.

If it does turn out being the circuit board intelligent part of the battery. Would anyone know why or what the process of the board is. Meaning how does to determain when to send power and when to stop sending power and if there is a hard reset to the board.  

Thanks all.  
2019-10-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain

Tim1985 Posted at 10-9 03:42
I will have to find another battery online and give that a try.  

I don't think it's the SD card. Have tried 3 different ones and even without a SD card.

The battery looks fine, and it will not be a problem with the battery circuitry. Try putting the SD card that came with the aircraft in.
2019-10-9
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

Tried 2 different SD Cards. No difference.  Have not tried a new battery yet.

Anyone know what powers up first after the battery it turned on? Battery , internal power module board that connect to both esc and power cable plus ribbon cable to 3in1 and Flight controller?

I just did a 20 minute flight without any problems except the 5 minute wait for power up.
2019-10-9
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

Ok, surprise visit from a friend who had a P4 battery. it's not the battery causing delay power up. Tested bot in the P4S and also used Voltmeter to test. both batteries output power as soon as power was turned on. So now that leads to something inside the P4S is not receiving power until it "warms up".

2019-10-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>

During power on, is it showing any errors on screen? it could be there is an error during startup
2019-10-9
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

Bashy Posted at 10-9 17:10
During power on, is it showing any errors on screen? it could be there is an error during startup

No errors. no life to entire drone until at least 2 minutes has passed after the battery has been inserted and on.

Almost like the entire system requires a warm up phase before anything comes alive.

It's more annoying then anything. The drone flies perfect , just want it to to come on when the power button is pressed instead of waiting almost 2 minutes then have to wait after power up for gps lock and everything else..
2019-10-9
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft

All you need to do is re-calibrate the IMU. Make sure that the battery is cool, maybe a little refrigerator time or out side in the cool night air. Put the battery in your drone and do the calibration right away. That causes it to start up faster so you can fly sooner. As the weather cools it takes longer for things to warm up to the temperature of when it was first calibrated. So, calibrate it at a lower temperature.
2019-10-9
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

Goldenseal Posted at 10-9 18:21
All you need to do is re-calibrate the IMU. Make sure that the battery is cool, maybe a little refrigerator time or out side in the cool night air. Put the battery in your drone and do the calibration right away. That causes it to start up faster so you can fly sooner. As the weather cools it takes longer for things to warm up to the temperature of when it was first calibrated. So, calibrate it at a lower temperature.

Below 30C? Last calibration according to the .DAT file pulled from the P4S internal memory card was done at 30c temp.
2019-10-9
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Tim1985 Posted at 10-9 18:31
Below 30C? Last calibration according to the .DAT file pulled from the P4S internal memory card was done at 30c temp.

I would say there is a faulty board (power supply) inside the aircraft and eventually you may have an unintended landing. I would stop flying the AC while still have one and send it in for repair.
2019-10-10
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

Internal Power Module that connect battery to esc's?

Wished a Mod would confirm the power to procedure.

Battery communicates with internal power module. Power Module gives the ok and sends power to the 3 in 1 and Flight controller and gimbal.

Am I correct or is this wrong?

The craft is way out of date for repair by DJI. would cost to much to repair by them.
2019-10-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain

Tim1985 Posted at 10-10 07:59
Internal Power Module that connect battery to esc's?

Wished a Mod would confirm the power to procedure.

You won't get a moderator to give any other advice other than to send it to DJI for repair, they are not technical people. There is no delay in sending power anywhere, nor does anything need to 'warm up'. The entire aircraft will receive power as soon as you switch on the battery, but various systems inside the aircraft need to be initialised, and this is done sequentially. So the answer will be that one system is not responding, and the initialisation process is waiting for it, that's where your delay is coming from.
2019-10-10
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2

Geebax Posted at 10-10 12:53
You won't get a moderator to give any other advice other than to send it to DJI for repair, they are not technical people. There is no delay in sending power anywhere, nor does anything need to 'warm up'. The entire aircraft will receive power as soon as you switch on the battery, but various systems inside the aircraft need to be initialised, and this is done sequentially. So the answer will be that one system is not responding, and the initialisation process is waiting for it, that's where your delay is coming from.

Thank you for that answer. Means I need to find out what between the 2 esc to the 3in1 to flight controller to gimbal is having a slow response to bootup.

I am not willing to send it to DJI for repair. My warranty is way expired and would cost to much to have them to fix it.
2019-10-11
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

Geebax Posted at 10-10 12:53
You won't get a moderator to give any other advice other than to send it to DJI for repair, they are not technical people. There is no delay in sending power anywhere, nor does anything need to 'warm up'. The entire aircraft will receive power as soon as you switch on the battery, but various systems inside the aircraft need to be initialised, and this is done sequentially. So the answer will be that one system is not responding, and the initialisation process is waiting for it, that's where your delay is coming from.

The Power Supply (power module) accepts power from the battery and sends it to other components (boards). It's like a spider, the body is the power supply and the legs connect to the other modules. If the power supply is faulty, it may send power to some modules but not all, therefore it can be tricky troubleshooting the problem. I would start there first.
2019-10-11
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft

Tim1985 Posted at 10-9 18:31

Yes, below 30 c.  30 c = 86 F which is plenty warm. Will it hurt to do such a simple thing?
2019-10-13
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

Goldenseal Posted at 10-13 15:26
Yes, below 30 c.  30 c = 86 F which is plenty warm. Will it hurt to do such a simple thing?

Here's a perfect example of what can happen with a faulty power supply.

2019-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules