What is with the awful software?
1469 6 2019-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ZvoU9JonWZpE
lvl.2

The Action is a great piece of hardware. However the software is hot garbage.

What is the deal with all the excessive requirements to connect it to the Mimo app?

Why is location even being required a thing? Especially when geotagging is disabled? There is absolutely no reason the camera, mimo app, or DJI, need my location at any point in time, ever.

To add to this why are both wifi and Bluetooth required? My Hero 4 that came out in 2014 doesn't require both to be enabled. To tack on to this why wifi? Bluetooth is capable of doing everything the wifi connection does  but uses less power.

This thing does amazing video but I have no desire to own the kit if it is going to bigbrother me every time I want to have a useful screen such as my phone to use.
2019-10-10
Use props
greekGod
lvl.3

Obviously no answer from dji
2019-10-13
Use props
Interceptor_Alpha
lvl.2
United States

greekGod Posted at 10-13 23:51
Obviously no answer from dji

Tell me about it. It is like they don't want me to use the hardware and software. None of these things should be required and the reuin the experience. Particularly when I have to go through and re-enable all the BS just so I can access it from my phone.

On top of all that you can't even access the Osmo Action on PC via USB either which is a pain in the ass. You have to take the device out of the case. Take the micro SD out. Put it in a Micro SD adapter. Then plug that into a PC. And ifyou don't have a micro SD? Well hopefully you have something like a GoPro to put it in so you can then plug it into your PC and transfer files that was which is funny as hell.
2019-10-24
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

I totally agree with the Location stuff. It's just spying the sh** out of people.
2019-10-28
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

I totally agree with the Location stuff. It's just spying the sh** out of people. For the need of Bluetooth and WiFi I think it's necessarry. BT needs much lower power than a permanent WiFi, therefore a permanent BT connection is active in the Osmo Action.  I guess it's like the OsmoAction realizes -hey, a Smartphone wants to establish a BT connection, i better turn on my WiFi now- So BT is only the gateway to get the WiFi connection established. And WiFi got a much wider range (in case you want to mount your OsmoAction on your Dog/Cat/Chicken/Car, whatever ;-)  As for your connection problems. I don't have any, it works perfectly when i plug in my USB cable straight to the OsmoAction. Maybe you should try another cable. A shorter one for example.  Greetings.
2019-10-29
Use props
JMichaelBrown
New
United States

I agree, I have 5 of these being used to shoot car related content so imagine the issues you've outlined above then add on managing a bunch of them on at the same time.  It's costing us A LOT OF TIME and it's very frustrating.  We stick with the cameras because they are perfect for what we are doing but it's extremely annoying.
2019-10-31
Use props
Interceptor_Alpha
lvl.2
United States

JMichaelBrown Posted at 10-31 16:01
I agree, I have 5 of these being used to shoot car related content so imagine the issues you've outlined above then add on managing a bunch of them on at the same time.  It's costing us A LOT OF TIME and it's very frustrating.  We stick with the cameras because they are perfect for what we are doing but it's extremely annoying.

I can only imagine. It must be an absolute nightmare. I definitely know for sure I wouldn't do that. I'd rather us my old Garmin Virbs and Chinese gopro knockoffs than buy another one of these to deal with.
2019-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules