PHANTOM 4 PRO + V2.0 EXPLODED IN FLIGHT
16783 162 2019-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marios5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702067 ft

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BRQ97KYU63JY6AILRZ7D

Can someone please check this log for me? All I'm seeing is the route on google earth, but no other interesting info.

Thank you
2019-10-16
Use props
marios5
lvl.2

maddox Posted at 10-16 05:12
Any update? Did DJI says anything?

No Maddox, I'm still busy to fill their data from. I will keep you updated, thanks.
2019-10-16
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft

marios5 Posted at 10-16 06:57

Can someone please check this log for me? All I'm seeing is the route on google earth, but no other interesting info.

Hi marios5, sorry for your loss.
Looking through your last log can't see any evidence of P4P exploding in mid air.
At 6:40.04 you start manual descent from 59m
6:46.44 still manually descending 42m
6:55.13 manual descent stops 20m
6:56.83 manual descent starts 20m
7:06.87 still manually descending  -1m
7:13.09 data ends -3m
No unusual battery data during flight.
High wind warning 1:17.0
Weak signal warning 7:13.09
2019-10-16
Use props
Sick Dawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft

intense...
2019-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>

Can someone please check this log for me? All I'm seeing is the route on google earth, but no other interesting info.
That's a one-way flight around 10am on 12 Oct.
The data ends with the drone hovering 1470 metres south of where you launched and about 82 metres above the ground.
At the end of the flight data the drone is quite stable with no sudden changes in pitch, roll and yaw data.
The data just stops at 7:13.9 indicating a sudden total loss of power.
It's not possible to tell whether the battery exploded in flight or if it might have happened on impact with the ground.
2019-10-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft

I wish there was more we could do.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>

if the battery exploded mid air, would it really carry on working that long about 26 seconds till end of log. seems a bit unlikely, i would say the battery would fail around the time it exploded, ie the height prior to the drop, the time from start of the  descent to end of the log is conducent to a freefall for sure, i just find it unlikely it would still be working after a battery explosion?
2019-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>

Bashy Posted at 10-16 17:36
if the battery exploded mid air, would it really carry on working that long about 26 seconds till end of log. seems a bit unlikely, i would say the battery would fail around the time it exploded, ie the height prior to the drop, the time from start of the  descent to end of the log is conducent to a freefall for sure, i just find it unlikely it would still be working after a battery explosion?

There's no 26 seconds after anything in the flight data.
The drone is hovering 82 metres up when the data stops.
If there was a mid-air explosion ... that's when it happened .. at 7:13.9.

All the descending was completely under control as shown by the joystick inputs.

71 metres in 29 seconds = <2.5 m/s
Free falling 71 metres is much faster than that.

2019-10-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft

That’s the wrong LOG...

RedHotPoker
2019-10-16
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-16 20:10
There's no 26 seconds after anything in the flight data.
If there was a mid-air explosion ... that's when it happened .. at 7:13.9.

Hi Labroides

Have to disagree with you

The P4P is on the ground at -3M when the data stops at 7:13.09 after a controlled manual descent.
The P4P max altitude during flight was never above 60m.
2019-10-17
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 10-16 13:37
That's a one-way flight around 10am on 12 Oct.
The data ends with the drone hovering 1470 metres south of where you launched and about 82 metres above the ground.
At the end of the flight data the drone is quite stable with no sudden changes in pitch, roll and yaw data.

Labroides, exactly, the drone was hanging at one place, about 80 -82m above the ground while I was busy taking pictures from this one spot when I heard the explosion and then it immediately disconected from the control. I can't think of something else than the battery which could give such a huge explosion.
2019-10-17
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

Bashy Posted at 10-16 17:36
if the battery exploded mid air, would it really carry on working that long about 26 seconds till end of log. seems a bit unlikely, i would say the battery would fail around the time it exploded, ie the height prior to the drop, the time from start of the  descent to end of the log is conducent to a freefall for sure, i just find it unlikely it would still be working after a battery explosion?

Bashy, the drone was hanging at one place, about 80 -82m above the ground while I was busy taking pictures from this one spot when I heard the explosion and then it immediately dissconected from the control. I can't think of something else than the battery which could give such a huge explosion.
2019-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Pleomax Posted at 10-17 00:39
Hi Labroides

Really?

The P4P is on the ground at -3M when the data stops at 7:13.09 after a controlled manual descent.
The P4P max altitude during flight was never above 60m.

Here's a concept to consider.
The earth is not all pancake-flat.
There are places where you can launch and fly out over lower or higher land than the launch point.
As one very experienced operator said, the drone was 82 metres above the ground when the data stream stopped.
The heights you are looking at are relative to the launch point which was 1470 metres to the north.
If the drone had descended to the ground, the VPS would have shown that.
2019-10-17
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-17 02:12
Really?

Really?........Yes

Phantomhelp shows VPS Altitude becomes N/A at 0:19.8 for the rest of the flight.
Have you looked at the KML file?
You also didn't offer any reason for the operators controlled
manual descent starting at 6:40.04, pausing briefly at 6:55.13 to 6:56.83
and controlled descent continuing until data ends 7:13.09
2019-10-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hi,

Amazing that at 80 meters in flight this drone exploded and disconnect to the RC.
But the data in the flightlog continues after the explosing.....

At 6m40s RC input down, P4P starts to descend from a height of 59 meters (not 80).All the way down to - 3.6 baro height.No VPS indicating so ground level is not within reach if the VPS sensor.
During descend all values are normal. (pitch,roll and V-z)....

So i am confused!  do not think its possible to explode in the air and have a controlled descend recorded.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2019-10-17
Use props
Sick Dawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

posted the wrong log file again maybe?
2019-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Pleomax Posted at 10-17 06:45
Really?........Yes

Phantomhelp shows VPS Altitude becomes N/A at 0:19.8 for the rest of the flight.

Yes ... which indicates the drone is >10 metres above ground level for the whole flight after 0:19.8.

Have you looked at the KML file?

How do you think I worked out that the drone was 82 metres above ground level at the end of recorded flight data?
Maybe you should look at the KML file yourself??

You also didn't offer any reason for the operators controlled manual descent starting at 6:40.04, pausing briefly at 6:55.13 to 6:56.83 and controlled descent continuing until data ends at 7:13.09
Do I need to?
His stop/start descent corresponds exactly to the throttle inputs.
He pulled the left stick down - the drone descends, he stops and the drone stops and hovers, he pulls it down again and it descends a bit more.
When the data ends, the drone is hovering 82 metres above the ground just a microsecond before the explosion.

How do you expect:
  *  The flight data to continue recording after an in-flight explosion?
  *  A Phantom to make a controlled descent after an in-flight explosion?
  *  A phantom to be hovering 82 metres up and also be on the ground?
2019-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 10-17 07:32
hi,

Amazing that at 80 meters in flight this drone exploded and disconnect to the RC.

It would be amazing if it happened that way ... but it didn't.

But the data in the flightlog continues after the explosing.....
No it didn't.
Battery explodes .. and power supply to the drone stops immediately .. so does data recording ... gravity takes over.

At 6m40s RC input down, P4P starts to descend from a height of 59 meters (not 80).All the way down to - 3.6 baro height.No VPS indicating so ground level is not within reach if the VPS sensor.
During descend all values are normal. (pitch,roll and V-z)....

So i am confused!  do not think its possible to explode in the air and have a controlled descend recorded.
Once you understand that the drone was still 82 metres above the ground when the data stops, it should all make sense

2019-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sick Dawg Posted at 10-17 07:38

It's the correct log file.
Ignore the amateur incident investigators that are confusing you.
Read my posts (particularly #53) and it should make sense.

2019-10-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 10-17 12:48

oke, but...

i did not happend that way, OP told this forum it exploded in the air.  
At wich height?  About 80 meters AGL, yes if you look at the non flat area there.

Seeing his picture of his drone, if it did explode in the air i am pretty sure that no data is written in the flightlog. But the log shows the descend, all data fromn his drone in the log....so how is this possible??

So i do understand what happend, not important if drone was at 80 AGL or 57 meters relative height to homepoint. Data did not stop at all after this explosion in the air.
And yes. mayby its possible that the explosion did not damage the drone in such way that is was possible to sent all info back to the RC/Mobile device.
Or did the explosion happend after his controlled descent?

cheers
JJB
2019-10-17
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

JJB* Posted at 10-17 07:32
hi,

Hi JJB, that's literally what happened. The drone was hanging on one spot while I was busy taking photos at a 360 degree radius around it when I heard an explosion and the aircraft immediately disconnected from the control. I myself also do not know what happened, but the explosion and the loss of signal could not have been a coincidence ass well as the founded  burnt out drone. There were nobody near who could have shot the drone down, because the flight was on our farm and there were nobody near.
2019-10-18
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 10-17 12:42
Yes ... which indicates the drone is >10 metres above ground level for the whole flight after 0:19.8.

I totally agree with you, it makes sense to me what you say.
2019-10-18
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 10-17 12:48

Labroides I do not know what exploded, it could be nothing other than the battery, but this is what really happened, except that Aliens might shot it
2019-10-18
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 10-17 12:50
It's the correct log file.
Ignore the amateur incident investigators that are confusing you.

Thanks Labroides, it really makes a lot of sense to me you say here. I really don't know how to read all the info on the log, but this makes sense.
2019-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 10-17 23:27
oke, but...

i did not happend that way, OP told this forum it exploded in the air.  
I made an effort to explain it clearly so there would be no confusion.
I looks like I have failed completely.

Seeing his picture of his drone, if it did explode in the air i am pretty sure that no data is written in the flightlog. But the log shows the descend, all data fromn his drone in the log....so how is this possible??
Read this again:

Battery explodes .. and power supply to the drone stops immediately .. data recording stops immediately ... gravity takes over and the drone falls fast..
There is no data recorded after the instant the battery exploded.
None, nil, nix, zip, zilch, not any.
The instant the explosion happened, the power was cut

The descent shown in the data was a controlled descent before the explosion.
The drone was hovering when it went *BANG*

So i do understand what happend, not important if drone was at 80 AGL or 57 meters relative height to homepoint. Data did not stop at all after this explosion in the air.
You don't.

When it exploded the drone was hovering 3 metres lower than the homepoint but 82 metres above the ground below it
Data stopped instantly at the time of the explosion.
The 82 metre fall to the ground was not recorded

If that's too hard to understand, I'm sorry because I cannot make it any clearer.

2019-10-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 10-18 02:01

Thanks for the extra explanation.
Make sense now for me, that the last recorded data in the log is the one just before the explosion.
Somehow i confused myself reading about heights and when the bang happend.

From yellow marker to the bang.....
cheers
JJB

analysis2.png
2019-10-18
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

marios5 Posted at 10-18 00:49
Thanks Labroides, it really makes a lot of sense to me you say here. I really don't know how to read all the info on the log, but this makes sense.

Hi marios5

Have you sent your flight log of the incident to DJI support yet?

If so have they found the fault?
2019-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Pleomax Posted at 10-18 04:44
Hi marios5

Have you sent your flight log of the incident to DJI support yet?

The flight log will only show what happened before the incident ... it gives no information to help understand what happened after the data stopped.
2019-10-18
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

marios5 Posted at 10-18 00:49
Thanks Labroides, it really makes a lot of sense to me you say here. I really don't know how to read all the info on the log, but this makes sense.

Hi again marios5

Listening to the "experts" on this forum isn't going to get you a replacement P4P.

The only experts who might are DJI support.
2019-10-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

marios5 Posted at 10-16 06:17
Thanks for the message Stephen, Things like this can probably happen, I just hope that DJI will sort this for me.

You are very much welcome marios5. Rest assured that DJI will do its best to investigate and to know the root cause of the said issue. Thank you.
2019-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Every time I get some sort of complete feed loss even just briefly, I always assume and accept it's a goner.
2019-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

marios5 Posted at 10-18 00:35
Labroides I do not know what exploded, it could be nothing other than the battery, but this is what really happened, except that Aliens might shot it

We're you ever charging w/ an aftermarket charger or authentic DJI?  Also, has anything happened since owning the drone that was out of the ordinary and it survived?  Be honest, otherwise, the statistics and investigation would be thrown off like searching for the MH370 flight from a crash when the government took it perfectly or searching for a sniper when the Officer made up a story about him being shot when it was all fabricated so he can collect money.
2019-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Pleomax Posted at 10-18 05:32
Hi again marios5

Listening to the "experts" on this forum isn't going to get you a replacement P4P.

Especially "experts" who can't tell when a drone is on the ground or 82 metres above it.
And even more so when they still can't tell after it's been pointed out to them.
2019-10-18
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 10-18 02:01

That sounds very logical to me and it is maybe exactly what happend. You sound very experienced in the drone business.
2019-10-18
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

AntDX316 Posted at 10-18 16:22
We're you ever charging w/ an aftermarket charger or authentic DJI?  Also, has anything happened since owning the drone that was out of the ordinary and it survived?  Be honest, otherwise, the statistics and investigation would be thrown off like searching for the MH370 flight from a crash when the government took it perfectly or searching for a sniper when the Officer made up a story about him being shot when it was all fabricated so he can collect money.

Why would I lie? All was stock standard on the drone, the ac, ctl, battery, charger etc. I never had any problems with the drone in the past.
2019-10-18
Use props
marios5
lvl.2
South Africa

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-18 16:13
You are very much welcome marios5. Rest assured that DJI will do its best to investigate and to know the root cause of the said issue. Thank you.

Thank you Stephen, I appreciate.
2019-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

marios5 Posted at 10-18 21:50
Why would I lie? All was stock standard on the drone, the ac, ctl, battery, charger etc. I never had any problems with the drone in the past.

Take a picture of the charger and the outlet.  Maybe it got damaged somehow from no surge protector.  Living in a sparsely populated area could mean the spikes aren't regulated as good as they are when areas are dense so spikes can flow through and damage things w/o people knowing.  Probably busting some sort of regulator that made it go from 4.40V max per cell to say near 5.0V or more.
2019-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 10-18 22:19
Take a picture of the charger and the outlet.  Maybe it got damaged somehow from no surge protector.  Living in a sparsely populated area could mean the spikes aren't regulated as good as they are when areas are dense so spikes can flow through and damage things w/o people knowing.  Probably busting some sort of regulator that made it go from 4.40V max per cell to say near 5.0V or more.

Not surprisingly, you are in the wrong ballpark again.
DJI smart batteries have the charging circuitry in the battery itself and almost no-one uses anything but the DJI chargers anyway.
The likelihood that the point you raised is relevant is too close to zero to even consider it.
2019-10-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-19 00:24
Not surprisingly, you are in the wrong ballpark again.
DJI smart batteries have the charging circuitry in the battery itself and almost no-one uses anything but the DJI chargers anyway.
The likelihood that the point you raised is relevant is too close to zero to even consider it.

Well, it should be smart enough to not explode in the air but the only way that would make sense is if you are 100% right but this thread says otherwise.
2019-10-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 10-19 00:45
Well, it should be smart enough to not explode in the air but the only way that would make sense is if you are 100% right but this thread says otherwise.

this thread says otherwise
Is that a typo?
Did you mean .. this moron says otherwise?
I'm still waiting to see a thread where you actually know something about the topic you are commenting on.

2019-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules