8107 15 2019-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ozboyblu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 348615 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Phantom 4 Advanced - Almost Fly Away in High Winds. Keen for an expert to look at flight data.
Flight Data Showing Errors is here at this URL  : https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/42OU0VWGZDIKZKH6KA5Y/#

Here is a youtube clip of the Flight Data. : https://youtu.be/w44_SlzfUd4

I was Flying in High Winds, this was an error in judgement on my part, however the P4A performed very well considering in the first 7 minutes of flight. However the first error ocurred just after 7 mins 39 secs into the flight. Atti Mode was enabled when GPS Data Error and then Weak GPS Signal. I was Fortunate I could control the Drone pointing the gimbal and Camera in my direction and then use full forward control stick, then land by grabing the leg and CSC.

I have tested 3 launches and landings in calm conditons just raising to 6m then land again. GPS seemed to work fine with 15 sat lock.

I need to monitor it over a few more flights in calm conditions. To me I have to wonder if sudden wind gusts can cause a GPS error as instantly it’s in a different location when no stick control movement. Would extreme strong wind cause GPS software as it’s states GPS data error then Speed error , satellite positioning error. Weak GPS signal. GPS Position no Match. GPS communication error please restart aircraft.

Just so many errors with no apparent reason just very strong wind.

Anyone with advice or comments feel free to reply.

cheers Dan.

PS full photos and Questions also found here URL : https://phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-4-advanced-almost-fly-away-in-high-winds-keen-for-an-expert-to-look-at-flight-data.146311/

2019-10-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because some areas of the world have fewer satellites pointing at them.

When I was flying the Inspire 1 Pro (X3) with modified parameters for performance at full sticks, it said Compass Error (just once, not all the time). Exit GPS.  I was in Atti mode but I turned slowly and flew back and it went away.  Had an issue where I was flying around and it said magnetic interference, Exit P-GPS when I was in P-GPS.  Did the same thing and turned around but the error went away.  I would not trust flying it for commercial purposes.  My M2, P4, and Spark never failed me like this.  It works great but as a show and tell drone.  When you are flying, people know it exists.  It's cool to have as a novelty.  The wider FOV can be ideal but I get scared to lose signal with some sort of Compass error.  I might change the antennas one day and fly far out then back at 70mph.
2019-10-19
Use props
ozboyblu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

I certainly relate to your experience when it comes to having a feeling will the drone loose GPS again or have a error that prevents you from returning to home.  I’ve not had a problem like this before with my spark or P3S. The P4A is only a week old so I’ll be testing a full battery in a safe environment to test the GPS. So far the GPS work on launch and landing.
2019-10-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 10-19 04:14

When I was flying the Inspire 1 Pro (X3) with modified parameters for performance at full sticks, it said Compass Error (just once, not all the time). Exit GPS.  I was in Atti mode but I turned slowly and flew back and it went away.  Had an issue where I was flying around and it said magnetic interference, Exit P-GPS when I was in P-GPS.  Did the same thing and turned around but the error went away.  I would not trust flying it for commercial purposes.  My M2, P4, and Spark never failed me like this.  It works great but as a show and tell drone.  When you are flying, people know it exists.  It's cool to have as a novelty.  The wider FOV can be ideal but I get scared to lose signal with some sort of Compass error.  I might change the antennas one day and fly far out then back at 70mph.

The satellites are orbiting around the earth which is rotating inside the birdcage they trace around it.
Wherever you are, there are always plenty of sats in your sky.
That's why it's called a Global Positioning System.

As for your tales about your Inspire, none of that is at all relevant to the OP's issue, which had nothing to do with his compass.

2019-10-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dan. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Have you tried to refresh the firmware of the said drone and have you tried to restart the drone and check if it could take off normally? If GPS errors frequently occur, GPS satellites may not be detected by the drone. This issue may be caused by communication link errors. We would recommend syncing the flight records using the DJI Go 4 application and contact our DJI support using the link below. Thank you for understanding and for your support.

www.dji.com/support
2019-10-19
Use props
ozboyblu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-19 07:24
Hello and good day Dan. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Have you tried to refresh the firmware of the said drone and have you tried to restart the drone and check if it could take off normally? If GPS errors frequently occur, GPS satellites may not be detected by the drone. This issue may be caused by communication link errors. We would recommend syncing the flight records using the DJI Go 4 application and contact our DJI support using the link below. Thank you for understanding and for your support.

www.dji.com/support

Thanks for your reply. I’ve sync my flight data with DJI Go 4 app . The flight in question was for the date 18/10/19 , location - two rocks , 13 minute flight time. I tried contacting online support but says it’s closed.
2019-10-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-19 06:13
The satellites are orbiting around the earth which is rotating inside the birdcage they trace around it.
Wherever you are, there are always plenty of sats in your sky.

I didn't mean satellites are not positioning at me, there are plenty where I live.  It's just when you fly over the performance of what the aircraft computers are capable of because it's designed to have a 23° maximum angular tilt but you make it 35°, you get temporary errors.  Exit GPS means, the compass is off and needs to catch up which it does.  : )
2019-10-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 10-19 15:11
I didn't mean satellites are not positioning at me, there are plenty where I live.  It's just when you fly over the performance of what the aircraft computers are capable of because it's designed to have a 23° maximum angular tilt but you make it 35°, you get temporary errors.  Exit GPS means, the compass is off and needs to catch up which it does.  : )

To the OP, please take no notice of this post, this guy is a known ignoramous, and nothing he says has any factual basis, nor will any of it be helpful in solving the issue you experienced.
2019-10-19
Use props
ozboyblu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

So I’ve checked the latest firmware

2019-10-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ozboyblu Posted at 10-19 19:26
So I’ve checked the latest firmware

[view_image]

A firmware mismatch won't provide the symptoms of that flight.
GPS should work just fine regardless of firmware version.
2019-10-19
Use props
ozboyblu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

I have recalibrated the IMU and Compass. Will fly when calm conditions are available to test GPS.

2019-10-19
Use props
ozboyblu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 10-19 19:44
A firmware mismatch won't provide the symptoms of that flight.
GPS should work just fine regardless of firmware version.

Yeah that’s what I figured. But better to be updated to tick ✅ it off the list of things it could be.
2019-10-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ozboyblu Posted at 10-19 20:57
Yeah that’s what I figured. But better to be updated to tick ✅ it off the list of things it could be.

From the 8 minute point on that flight, the GPS was disconnected and you were not seeing any satellites. That's pretty conclusive. I doubt the IMU had anything to do with the problem. But looking at the map, I am inclined to wonder what surface you took off from as well? It looks like you might have taken off from the carpark, possibly beside your car?

In any event, the GPS is the prime suspect here, perhaps as if it was disconnected, suggesting a dodgy connector between the receiver and the main board inside the aircraft. Try taking it outside, powering up everything and see if it is receiving satellite signals now.
2019-10-19
Use props
ozboyblu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 10-19 21:29
From the 8 minute point on that flight, the GPS was disconnected and you were not seeing any satellites. That's pretty conclusive. I doubt the IMU had anything to do with the problem. But looking at the map, I am inclined to wonder what surface you took off from as well? It looks like you might have taken off from the carpark, possibly beside your car?

In any event, the GPS is the prime suspect here, perhaps as if it was disconnected, suggesting a dodgy connector between the receiver and the main board inside the aircraft. Try taking it outside, powering up everything and see if it is receiving satellite signals now.

Thanks for your reply. I have since taken it out and launched and landed 3 times. Each time with good satellite lock and GPS. Just waiting for a calm day to test a full battery of flight to see if the error comes up again.  
2019-10-20
Use props
ozboyblu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

So turns out the GPS Error is occurring all the time now, so 2 options create a report for DJI tech support or take back to dealer since the Drone was less than 2 weeks old...In the End I got a fault return refund. Ive since bought a Mavic 2 Zoom and Fly more kit. Will be activating today.
2019-10-25
Use props
ozboyblu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

GPS error contact DJI support.

I spoke to DJI about the error and advised I’d done a few test flights that showed the GPS error occurred twice again. They made me refresh the firmware and recalibrate everything but now it is possibly a hardware issue. Being it was only over a week old. I had 2 choices. Go down the process of repair under warranty or take back to the store of purchase for a refund.

After careful consideration I returned the phantom 4 Advanced for a refund.

I now have purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom at a good price and the fly more combo and DJI care refresh to be on the safe side.  It’s been 2 days and I haven’t flown yet lol. I’ve been charging and updating firmware and batteries.  Hope to fly very soon.  
2019-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules